Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

Uh-oh, bad news for Humuhumu's namesake

Pages: 1 18 replies

A

Breaking News from Hawai'i...
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa Dethroned in Hawaii

By TARA GODVIN

HONOLULU (AP) - Everyone thought the humuhumunukunukuapuaa was Hawaii's state fish. As it turns out, the brightly colored fish with the excessively long name has been dethroned.

The news shook the world of Rep. Blake Oshiro, who found out the designation was no longer official from Joel Itomura, a 6-year-old fish-loving son of a friend and constituent.

I was really surprised,'' said Oshiro, who has drawn up a bill that would make humuhumunukunukuapuaa - also known as the rectangular triggerfish or humuhumu'' for short - the official state fish for the islands.

The stubby-nosed, brightly striped and slightly aggressive little fish whose name few tourists even try to utter (it's pronounced HOO-moo-HOO-moo-NOO-koo-NOO-koo-AH-poo-AH-ah) is commonly believed to be the state's favorite. The fish figures into tourist trinkets, broadcast commercials and a much-beloved song about a little grass shack.

Much like its name, the fish's road to titlelessness is long and confusing.

In 1984 the state Legislature asked the University of Hawaii and the Waikiki Aquarium to survey the public and come up with a candidate for the state fish. The humuhumu was swept into the spot in part through the support of school children who learned of the campaign through classroom projects.

Although the issue of the state fish would seem to come with little controversy, the method used to poll the public was questioned and lawmakers limited the designation to five years.

No one told the public that the humuhumu's reign was over, so few knew anything had changed.

And the humuhumu has its opponents.

State Rep. K. Mark Takai said he had objections to a similar bill a decade ago because many of his constituents were in favor of the oopu, a brownish, freshwater gobbie endemic to the islands, he said.

The humuhumu is not unique to Hawaii, he said.

There is no lack of fish species specific to the islands. Thirteen species of wrass alone are found here and nowhere else in the world.

But while humuhumu may call more than just Hawaii its home, it has a few undeniable attributes on its side - cuteness and unpalatability.

``Here's a cute little fish. It kind of looks like a pig and it squawks and everything,'' said Chuck Johnston, editor of Hawaii Fishing News.

It's also a good candidate because no one eats a humuhumu, he said. Picking a popular game fish such as the ulua could be a problem if environmentalists push to protect the fish from fishermen, he said.

Johnston has asked Gov. Linda Lingle to give the fish the state title in perpetuity through an executive order.

In her reply early last year, Lingle said that decision should instead be left to the public. She also pointed out that the humuhumu has not historically been held in very high regard, having been used by early Hawaiians as fuel for their fires, not their stomachs.

While Johnston had originally advocated for the Pacific blue marlin two decades ago, his support now for the humuhumu is unwavering.

The logical choice is the one that was already selected,'' Johnston said. It has been there. He's been crowned.''

On the Net:

Hawaii Legislature, bill HB1982: http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/

Hawaii Fishing News: http://www.hawaiifishingnews.com

01/28/06 06:58

RATS!!

You beat me, Amiotiki! I was going to post this as "Humuhumu makes national news!"

The title in the Yahoo headlines definitely jumped out, didn't it!

And on an odd note, I just found this week a CocoJoe's book on "How the Humuhumunukunukuapuaa Got Its Name." (And no, they didn't name the fish after our beloved moderator/party girl)

The fact is that our own Humu2 got her name from the Hawaiian word for sewing, if I remember correctly, as her lounge was also her sewing room.

But I'm still gonna tell everybody that the article is about her!!
F

Formikahini remembers correctly, I am not named for Hawaii's famous fish. "Humuhumu" is the Hawaiian word for sewing, "humuhumu makina" is sewing machine, the word for jigsaw puzzle also starts with "humuhumu", if memory serves. The Hawaiian language only has 12 letters, and sounds get used over and over again for different things -- it's also one reason why so many of the Hawaiian words are so long, they're actually more like phrases than words.

Of course, I do wish the little fish well in its quest for becoming legit.

The Humuhumu is also known as the Picasso fish (due to its Cubist-type markings), and is popular with saltwater aquarium hobbyists. They're not too horribly expensive, either.

Nothing against our Humuhumu, but the fish versions are nasty little blighters, they are like the Jack russels of the sea.
I've got scars on my legs from their bites, I would honestly say sharks (some not all) are less aggressive to swim near.

T

Oops, I posted this News in Beyond Tiki...

Tikisgrl

I just thought it was funny that the article describes humuhumu as a "stubby-nosed, brightly striped and slightly aggressive little fish..."

[ Edited by: joefla70 2006-02-01 12:31 ]

T

Here is a great site for seeing some of the various fish of Hawaii (it is actually a quiz so get your thinking snorkels on).

http://adigitaldreamer.com/snorkel/quiz.htm

Also (from another website):

Humuhumukununukuapua'a means "fish with a pig's nose" in Hawaiian.

The Humuhumukununukuapua'a sleeps on its side at night.

• Hawaii does not have an official state fish.

I love these fishes. The humuhumu has an almost iridescent lavender ring around his lips. The color is so striking. And it's because of those lips that he is MY favorite Hawaiian fish. Official or not!

TB
Hawaiian Fish Lip Authority

I think perhaps there should be a new mug designed in honor of this thread: A tiki of a fish behind a sewing machine. Thoughts?

T

On 2006-02-01 20:11, tikibob wrote:
Here is a great site for seeing some of the various fish of Hawaii (it is actually a quiz so get your thinking snorkels on).

http://adigitaldreamer.com/snorkel/quiz.htm

What? The picture they have on the quiz is not actually a Picasso Trigger, at least not in my experience. It's actually a photo of a Reef Triggerfish, Rhinecanthus rectangulus which I've usually seen called a rectangulus trigger. The actual picasso trigger is Rhinecanthus aculeatus, but the book I'm looking at right now has his common name as a Lagoon Triggerfish:

Just to make matters worse, both fish have the same name in Hawaiian, and depending on where you go and who you talk to, they're both called Picasso Triggers. Ha ha! I love being a fish biologist!
BTW, TikiBob-- That was a pretty fun quiz. Thanks for posting that!

On 2006-01-30 10:44, joefla70 wrote:

... I just thought it was funny that the article describes humuhumu as a "stubby-nosed, brightly striped and slightly aggressive little fish..."

... but it smells like a fish...

Just saw on the news the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a has been officially named Hawaii's state fish. The following is from the Associated Press:

The humuhumunukunukuapua'a officially lost its title as the state fish more than a decade ago but is set to reclaim the honor.

A bill reinstating the critter -- known as humuhumu for short -- passed the Legislature on Monday and heads next to the office of Gov. Linda Lingle for a signature.

The little fish with the long name was deposed in 1990 by a clause in the law that gave it its crown, which made the measure expire after five years.

L

On 2006-01-28 11:40, Humuhumu wrote:
"Humuhumu" is the Hawaiian word for sewing, "humuhumu makina" is sewing machine, the word for jigsaw puzzle also starts with "humuhumu",

sewing machine is mikini humuhumu (machine that sews)

ain't no such thing as "makina"
Unless yer name is Maxine, then people in Hawaii may refer to you as Makina.

someone who sews... a seamstress, would be 'Awai.

to name a person after a verb would be unusual. to name them after another creature is not unusual.

(oh, and in regards da i'a, try ask locals if they care what legislation decides and what they consider legit.)

On 2006-04-19 10:49, lanikai wrote:

On 2006-01-28 11:40, Humuhumu wrote:
"Humuhumu" is the Hawaiian word for sewing, "humuhumu makina" is sewing machine, the word for jigsaw puzzle also starts with "humuhumu",

sewing machine is mikini humuhumu (machine that sews)

ain't no such thing as "makina"
Unless yer name is Maxine, then people in Hawaii may refer to you as Makina.

someone who sews... a seamstress, would be 'Awai.

to name a person after a verb would be unusual. to name them after another creature is not unusual.

Yes, Tiki Trader -- memory had failed me, thanks for the correction on the term for "sewing machine." I called my home tiki bar, which was also my sewing room, The Humuhumu Room. When I came to sign up on Tiki Central, like many I wracked my brain for what my signon should be, and I chose Humuhumu. I wasn't aiming for Hawaiian accuracy, I was aiming for Polynesian Pop sensibility.

L

On 2006-04-19 12:37, Humuhumu wrote:
I wasn't aiming for Hawaiian accuracy, I was aiming for Polynesian Pop sensibility.

Dh-oooH!
shoulda knowed!

I wasn't aiming for Hawaiian accuracy, I was aiming for Polynesian Pop sensibility.
Unlike me, who chose the EXACT word in Hawaiian for my stage name "Formica" for my TC handle.
:wink:

Does this mean it will now be illegal to catch this fish? They are a popular aquarium species.

L

On 2006-04-19 14:00, Formikahini wrote:

Unlike me, who chose the EXACT word in Hawaiian for my stage name "Formica" for my TC handle.

Oooh, no, miss formicadinette. I know whatcher doin here... won't fall for it. I know what hini means.

Hahaha! :lol:
Lahikai, I don't even know what "hini" means!

And it's not pronounced "hiney" (like shiny) as in your 'okole (bum).
It's like the -kini in "bikini."
Had I known more Hawaiian when I came up with the name (actually for a Don Ho cover band in 2000-ish), I might have spelled it Formikahine, as in wahine. But the -hini like bikini is more sonorous to me.

But some of you, I have been told, pronounce it like a hiney, and that's ok.
As long as you're a cute kane. :wink:

[ Edited by: Formikahini 2006-04-20 11:32 ]

Pages: 1 18 replies