Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

The London Luau 2006 - Artshow and Vending Confirmed

Pages: 1 2 61 replies

After the success of last year we have set a date for this years "London Luau" at the London Trader Vics!
Saturday the 10th June 2006 it is.

Thanks to Shag for the great artwork

We bought the date forward this year to bring everybody into the summer season rather than end it.

Many things are still yet to be confirmed, but we hope to have many things going on over the whole weekend for those travelling to it from further afeild.
Check out the website http://www.thelondonluau.co.uk/ or here for updated info.

We are also looking for any artists (painters, carvers etc) to be involved in a group show starting the 9th, to run for 2 weeks, anyone interested let me know.
Artwork chosen will be for sale, and anyone submitting will be responsible for getting their work there and back.

The Artshow and Vending has been confirmed and will take place in Kingly Court just off of Carnaby Street in the heart of the West End.
The artshow opens Friday night, showing work from many Artists worldwide, Paintings, prints and carvings.... Oh, yeah, did i mention the Ltd Ed signed and numbered prints by Shag of the london Luau artwork.

Vending will take place in Kingly Court on the sat and sun with live entertainment and DJs too.
Anyone interested in selling their Wares, let me know

Hope to see some of you there

http://www.cheekytiki.com

[ Edited by: cheekytiki 2006-02-24 09:47 ]

[ Edited by: Cheekytiki 2006-04-10 13:53 ]

V

yeaaah. I don't want to miss that...

V

by the way, the website says 10 july, not june...

Ooops! Thanks Virani, it's sorted now

T

Great News!!

Counting down the days...

Nice one! I'll book some time off and make a weekend of it.

Trader Woody

T

Fab, we'll be there, had a great time last year.

The new lineup sounds great.

I'd love to be part of the artshow.

TC

On 2006-02-02 09:43, Trader Woody wrote:
Nice one! I'll book some time off and make a weekend of it.

Trader Woody

woody, you really planning on attending? i might just try to make it over there.

woody, you really planning on attending? i might just try to make it over there.

Ha ha - yeah, I actually might make this one! At the time of writing I've still got 24.5 days holiday left, so it's no problem. Last year, they all got accounted for super-fast, blowing many possibilities of fun out of the water.

Hope you can make it - it'll be great to catch up!

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody 2006-02-06 09:14 ]

Count us in, we will be there agin, it was so kool last year, can't wait for June!!! If you need any help, let us know.

The Website is now up and running! http://www.thelondonluau.co.uk/
There are are still a few extra details to be added for the better(more Bands and entertainment, things to do during the day)
But otherwise it's all go.
thanks for all of the support so far, look forward to seeing you there

Awesome weekend.

It's got all the food groups covered, cultural exchange, [mighty] fine art, powerful mixes, dance and friends.

The king is on the most played list on the itunes in the studio, and I've heard he's even better live, so really looking forward to that.

Mr Shag [to me], has done a sweet job on the event art. It's great to see a full-on UK tiki event, thanks to Cheekytiki to all the hard work.

I'll be getting my tickets today.

U

I'll be working in London sometime this spring/summer. I can only hope it's in the beginning of June. Sounds like a great time!

A
Artiki posted on Thu, Mar 2, 2006 1:31 PM

Marvellous! Can't wait.
Never made it to last year's, but this one is a must.

I've been trying to buy tickets for the past half hour and keep getting the message
"Your payment session has expired. To complete this transaction, you will need to enter your information again." despite typing like a demon. Also, there doesn't seem to be the usual 'padlock' on the bottom of the browser indicating that the payment is secure.Any idea what's happening?

Trader Woody

EDIT - Can we pay via a normal Paypal account? Ie. your e-mail address?
Cheers

[ Edited by: Trader Woody 2006-03-03 13:43 ]

Spoke to Paypal, they seem to think there is no problem this end, it may be you have a corrupted cookie???? Apparently???
Anyway otherwise send to [email protected]
Thanks, and if anyone else has this problem please let us know.

On 2006-03-03 15:44, cheekytiki wrote:
Spoke to Paypal, they seem to think there is no problem this end, it may be you have a corrupted cookie???? Apparently???

Hmmmm, not too surprising as everything about me is corrupt!

Well, payment sent via the old-fashioned Paypal way. A fantastic line-up & you've managed to bring it in at an excellent price, considering it's A)London, B)Park Lane, c) Trader Vic's.

Trader Woody

Woops if it wasn't for tiki chris post i'd missed this, the site seems down at the moment, i'll have to try again later.

Its all working again....

so it is, and what a great weekend 3 days of drinking and tiki, why with Glastonbury not on this year its a perfect replacement.

We are proud to announce the third band in the saturday night lineup at Trader Vics.....drum roll please.....'Luxury Condo' the London finest lounge band.
There is still more very exciting news to be announced so keep your ears open and eyes peeled.

On 2006-03-04 10:30, atomictonytiki wrote:
what a great weekend 3 days of drinking and tiki, why with Glastonbury not on this year its a perfect replacement.

3 Days of drinking indeed! Friday night on Golden Coladas until 2:00am, wake up early afternoon, then out to watch England in the World Cup, drinking many pints of ale, then onto Trader Vics for Tiki bowls galore, wake up late, then onto Trailer Happiness to sample more rums. The only time I won't be drinking is in taxis and while asleep. My liver hurts already....

Trader Woody

Looks like I might just make this event. I'll be looking into a flight next week but I'm crossing my fingers and toes!

The lineup and the entire event looks fantastic!

V

Great. I'd love to see you there Tikikilliki. I just got my train tickets for the event. Yes, train ticket. That's the first time I don't have to take a plane to go to a tiki event !! And it was cheap.

Tiki Killiki, we really hope you can make it too

finally got my tickets bought, really looking forward to this event.

Just a heads up for anyone that may be interested in vending at the London Luau.
We have almost confirmed a space that we can use for vendors in the centre of London that would also be open to the public.
Email me for more Details
Or check out the London Luau Website http://www.thelondonluau.co.uk

I just booked my flight and will arrive in London on 4/9/06! I am so excited! Virani get ready - we're goin' to a Luau!

Cheekytiki - please send on those suggestions for hotels and B&B's - we're making our reservations soon! Mahalo!

Tiki Kiliki, ourselves and I'm sure all of the other UK Ohana look forward to seeing you.

The Artshow and Vending has been confirmed and will take place in Kingly Court just off of Carnaby Street in the heart of the West End.
The artshow opens Friday night, showing work from many Artists worldwide, Paintings, prints and carvings.... Oh, yeah, did i mention the Ltd Ed signed and numbered prints by Shag of the london Luau artwork.

Vending will take place in Kingly Court on the sat and sun with live entertainment and DJs too.
Anyone interested in selling their Wares, let me know

Check out http://www.thelondonluau.co.uk for more details

On 2006-03-09 09:14, Trader Woody wrote:

On 2006-03-04 10:30, atomictonytiki wrote:
what a great weekend 3 days of drinking and tiki, why with Glastonbury not on this year its a perfect replacement.

3 Days of drinking indeed! Friday night on Golden Coladas until 2:00am, wake up early afternoon, then out to watch England in the World Cup, drinking many pints of ale, then onto Trader Vics for Tiki bowls galore, wake up late, then onto Trailer Happiness to sample more rums. The only time I won't be drinking is in taxis and while asleep. My liver hurts already....

Trader Woody

South London Pacific is looking forward to the return of Trader Woody.

Must warn his Liver though...now open till 3am!!!!

Muchos Regardos A Hui Hui

Senor P

P

well it's Steve's 30th birthday on 9th June, and I was wondering we could do for it....something tiki.....something he'd always remember....and low and behold I discover the London Luau is on early this year! so we've got our tickets! see you there!

On 2006-04-16 09:52, Senor Pedro wrote:

South London Pacific is looking forward to the return of Trader Woody.

Must warn his Liver though...now open till 3am!!!!

Aieee!!! I never thought that I'd curse the removal of the early 20th century British drinking laws, but those extra couple of hours are like a couple of baseball bats on the back of my kidneys. Friends up here have arranged a brewery visit on the Monday immediately afterwards.

I can't wait to see the SLP again, though. I've yet to visit a place that exudes the pure fun & joy of Tiki in remotely the same way.

Trader Woody

The Mr and I are very sad that we can't make it to the London Luau. Last time we were in town we had a great time with the woody's, the Hemsby's and the cheeky tikis. Please tip a Mai Tai for us and hopefully we'll see you next year.

cheeky half

Some info about the Art Show

Kingly Court will host the spectacular Tiki Art Show Opening on the 9 June which will take place between 5.30pm - 8.00pm. A group of artists from around the world whose work includes tiki and South Pacific inspired imagery have been brought together to exhibit. Work exhibited will be a mix of original paintings, carvings, sculpture and prints. The exhibition will run from the 9 to the 23 June and will be open to the public free of charge from 11am – 7pm.

Exhibiting Artists are: Shag (USA), Kevin Ancell (USA), Moritz R (Germany),
Dr Alderete (Mexico), Jamie Wilson (UK), Peru (Australia),
Tiki Racer (UK), Michael Hanauer (Germany), Tiki tOny (USA), Anjy Cameron (UK)
Tim Ray (UK), Kai Sarnes (Germany), Jaqueline Davis (UK), Chris Moon (UK),
Sam Gambino (USA), Stefan Stratil (Germany), Michael Murphy (UK),
Phil Corbett (UK), Treatment Rooms (UK)

Kingly Court is a stylish courtyard with three-storeys of boutiques situated just off Carnaby Street.

B

Man oh man! I am so psyched! I'm going to the London Luau! And I'm going to be a vendor!
I hope everyone will stop by and say hello to the tiki yank.

The last time I was in London I was strolling though Hyde park and just stumbled across the London Hilton and Trader Vic's. Nirvana! Except that when I tried to bring my British friends there for dinner that evening there was a freak power outage: elevators weren't running, half the hotel was dark and Trader Vic's was definitely down. Ouch! So I can't wait to get back and give it a go. And I can't wait to check out the other places, Trailer Happiness and London South Pacific.

And that tropical London summer...

See you there!

BodhiGlass: Real Cool Glass, Made Real Hot!

I'll be there with art work and tees for sale, plus the new tikishrine/postcard dispenser

Hope to see you there.

Just 2 weeks away!!! I can't wait to meet the UK ohana!

On 2006-05-25 18:44, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Just 2 weeks away!!! I can't wait to meet the UK ohana!

if you have some free time before or after the event, drop me a line - i'd love to meet up.

safe travels,
chris

Hi guys -- been a very long time since I vsited this forum. Woody, long time no see, compadre, and I'm very glad to hear you'll be at the Luau. And now Tiki Chris is back in Blighty too -- it's all coming together...

theandrewssister

P
Pickle posted on Thu, Jun 8, 2006 3:07 AM

I can't wait!It's Steve's 30th on Friday so it couldn't have come at a better time!

It'd be great to meet some of you forum guys and gals, I'm not sure how we'll manage it as I don't know what anyone looks like...well on Fri I'll be wearing red flowers in my hair (hoho) and Steve has a tiki tattoo on the back of his left arm......so if you spot us come and introduce yourselves!

I'm looking forward to that first cocktail of Fri night.... :)

Tiki Chris, I just PM'd you. I'll be arriving in London tomorrow morning at 8:30am. Let's definitely get together tomorrow and maybe meet at the Art Show?

TC

On 2006-06-08 07:12, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Tiki Chris, I just PM'd you. I'll be arriving in London tomorrow morning at 8:30am. Let's definitely get together tomorrow and maybe meet at the Art Show?

right back at ya w/ a PM. looking forward to meeting.
mahalo,
tiki chris

V

I had a fantastic time at the London Luau, I met lots of really cool people, and had the pleasure to see old friends.
Thanks a lot Jamie and Anjy for everything and see you next year.
Please people, post your pics !

We had a great time, made some new friends and King Kukulele rocked.

Thanks to Anjy and Jamie at Cheekytiki for all the hard wok to make it all happen.

here's a photo link for starters, I'll post some on tc soon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42939159@N00/

Should we have an official luau photo thread???

V

Great pics. Feel free to start a new thread.

Many Mahalos to Anjy & Jamie for a wonderful weekend. I know how difficult these things can get but you guys truly should pat yourselves on the back. The entire weekend was filled with happy faces and many cocktails.

It was so great to meet so many of the UK ohana! Matt from Southampton - we'll be calling you this week, Rachel & Sam - lookin' for your email, Trader Woody - shame I didn't get to spend enough time with you, Tiki Chris - nice to finally meet you and I got your PM just today when I made it to an internet cafe, I'll call you when I'm back in London later this week, DJ Hukilau - you're so lovely! AtomicTonyTiki - thanks for the laughs and it was great to share dinner with you & the wahine at Trader Vic's. And to the many that made the weekend special - Mahalo!

My favorite moments: The Hula Punk show at South London Pacific, The King Kukulele set at Trader Vic's & the Donn's Mai Tai at Trailer Happiness. My absolute favorite moment: Sitting outside Trailer Happiness with King K and lots of others laughing and sharing stories - I'll never forget it!

Pictures will have to wait until I'm back in Florida!

Hard to express in words the gratitude we all feel to Jamie and Anjy for helping to crystallize the burgeoning tiki scene in the UK! Many thanks!

Pages: 1 2 61 replies