Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Orgeat Syrup Brands

Pages: 1 2 75 replies

T

I believe Orgeat Works T'Orgeat to be the finest orgeat for Tiki cocktails that one can buy.

I still make it myself at home - a shortcut version without toasting almonds in 8 oz. batches - to keep the rotation going.

Cheers!

Jack

K

Dang, I've never even heard of Orgeat Works before! For the record, there maybe is no BG Reynolds' mention in this thread, but its everywhere else on the site. I definitely prefer and recommend it for anybody wanting store-bought. I tried the whole Small Hands bit but wasn't a fan at all. Currently I am using Monin as I need something that will preserve w/o refrigeration and have cut back on my frequency of making drinks.

D

I will happily use BG Reynolds, Small Hand Foods or Wilks and Wilson. They're all excellent.

Of the coffee house variety, the only one I really liked was Routin 1883.

T

Here's the info on the Orgeat Works products. I had no idea that they had three varieties - and all three look intriguing!

http://www.orgeatworks.com/htmlpages/products.html

Cheers!

Jack

RB

I was going to get a bottle of Orgeat Works' macadamia syrup, 'til I saw the shipping price in the shopping cart. Yikes!

So many different ways of pronouncing "orgeat." I did a Google search and came up with this short video which claims to pronounce it correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teTQQuJx3sg

The Torani Syrups web site seems to agree:
http://shop.torani.com/Almond-Orgeat-Syrup/p/TOR-362450&c

I've been pronouncing it "OHR-ZHAY" with a silent "t," but now understand that it's actually "OHR-ZHAT" with the "t" definitely being pronounced.

Yes, I have always heard that it is pronounced "ORZET".

I've thought about starting a thread about how to pronounce certain common things like orgeat, falernum, Pernod, demerara, etc. I have it in my head how these things should sound then I have a conversation with someone and they say something completely different like dem-er-air-a and I'm like come again now? Really, that's how it's pronounced? I thought it was dem-er-ar-a. You know, like it's spelled? I still don't know what's correct!

When I was a newbie, the first time I went into a liquor store looking for orgeat I asked where to find the or-gee-ot, and he said, oh the or-gheet is over here. I've since heard it pronounced or-zsa (like zsa zsa gabor) and or-zsat which I think are more accurate. I stick with the former as it sounds more exotic and now hearing people say that harsh "gheet" really bums me out.

So what do ya'll say, should we start a phonetic thread on how to say stuff?

I think it'd be a great thread Mike!

Cynar = Che-Nar

Yes Mike, that would be a good thread. Some have already made some contributions (above) to the cause. And you're right, the various pronunciations of orgeat are a bit maddening.

I'd add cherries to the list --- maraschino specifically. "Mar-a-shee-no" or "Mar-a-skee-no."

The thread would spill over to a treatment of different words for rum in different languages --- rum, rhum, ron, etc.

With the creation of that thread, we can all die happy and in full agreement on absolutely everything! :)

J

On 2016-05-11 05:59, AceExplorer wrote:
I'd add cherries to the list --- maraschino specifically. "Mar-a-shee-no" or "Mar-a-skee-no."

Having spent many hours in night school Italian language classes, I can confidently say the correct pronunciation of both the fruit and the liqueur made from said cherries is pronounced "mar-a-skee-no." Note it's "Mar" rather than "Mair" which I hear a lot. The "ch" followed by "i" or "e" is always pronounced as a "k" in Italian words. When "ch" is followed by a, o, or u, it is pronounced the same as in "church." But a "cc" is pronounced like "ch" as in cappuccino. Have I confused you all yet? It took me three semesters to finally figure that out!

As for Orgeat, Martin Cate once used a graphic similar to the one below in a Tiki Oasis symposium to illustrate the proper pronunciation, as he heard it from one of the French makers of it:

Jen, very interesting! I will from now on pronounce orgeat as "Orgabor" as Martin Cate shared. Never would have thought that!!!!

:lol:

But seriously, I always suspected that the "t" would be silent in orgeat.

Mike, here you have some great material for your new thread! (Except for my crap, ha...)

H

Anyone has any opinions regarding which Orgeat to purchase, don't want to make one from scratch. I have been using Monin forever, time for a change.

Monin
Fee Brothers
B J Reynolds
Orgeat Works
Latitude 29

Any other?

Thanks for any input.

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2018-05-28 11:43 ]

H
Hamo posted on Mon, May 28, 2018 11:51 AM

I prefer BG Reynolds, though I’ve only had Fees Brothers otherwise and not made my own.

I really like the BG Reynolds. And as a bonus it works great on pancakes.

S

The french brands Giffard and especially Meneau are highly recommended. Roughly every Mai Tai geek in Germany seems to use Meneau.

Hilda, I’m on my second bottle of St. Vincent. Made in Sun Valley California. Get mine at Hi Times for bout 25 bucks. Gotta keep it in the fridge and you need to shake it often. Another T-cer said his got moldy. I have not had that problem. Check out the ingredients on their site-nuttin scary in it.
Cheers,
David

H

Thank you all for all the information, appreciate all the help.

On 2018-05-28 12:53, mikehooker wrote:
I really like the BG Reynolds. And as a bonus it works great on pancakes.

My secrets revealed! If anyone has questions on my products, please ask away! As they say on Reddit, AMA!

H

Does B J Reynolds Orgeat preserve well without refrigeration, does it need to be refrigerated?

K

On 2018-05-31 10:18, hiltiki wrote:
Does B J Reynolds Orgeat preserve well without refrigeration, does it need to be refrigerated?

I'll answer that. :wink: I learned the hard way when I had fuzzy mold one afternoon in my bottle. Upon emailing Blair, he informed me that happens when you use real, perishable ingredients as opposed to the artificial garbage you see elsewhere. The tip I share is add up to, certainly no more than, 1 oz vodka (or my remains of Bacardi 151) and shake well. Shake occasionally too, but keep it refrigerated after opening.

H

Thanks for the tip Kkocka.

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Jun 5, 2018 9:44 PM

Not sure what I was drinking when I last posted, but the other orgeat I’ve had is Barsmith, not Fee’s, to which Blair’s orgeat is far superior. I always refrigerate it after opening, and add 1/2 oz vodka to a 375 ml bottle to help extend its life. Shake well every use, too.

Anyone has any opinions regarding which Orgeat to purchase, don't want to make one from scratch. I have been using Monin forever, time for a change.

I did a taste test between BG Reynolds and Latitude 29 and had a slight preference for L29. But both are good. (see: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdort2gAI0A/?taken-by=ultimatemaitai)

On 2018-06-05 23:14, kevincrossman wrote:

I did a taste test between BG Reynolds and Latitude 29 and had a slight preference for L29. But both are good. (see: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdort2gAI0A/?taken-by=ultimatemaitai)

I think the Latitude orgeat has a very nice flavor and fragrance but in a Mai Tai with my standard proportions, it fell well short of BG in terms of a balanced cocktail. Rather than having to reformulate my beloved Mai Tai (I usually do 1/2 oz orgeat, no sugar syrup, and only 3/4 oz lime), I just stick with the BG Reynolds and find it immensely pleasing.

Also, I once did a side by side comparison of BG and Small Hands and similarly felt the flavor of Small Hands was better, but once mixed in the drink it wasn't discernibly better, and since it's a higher cost, I again decided to stick with BG.

1. Orgeat Works-Latitude 29
  2. Small Hand
  3. BG Reynolds
  4. Giffard

Everything else I’ve tried is unusable. Just my opinion.

[ Edited by: tiki-boss 2018-06-09 11:15 ]

C
croe67 posted on Fri, Jun 8, 2018 6:48 AM

Don't forget Orgeat Works - and they have a few varieties to play with, too.
Tasty stuff!

Pages: 1 2 75 replies