Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

My Tiki Shrine at work

Pages: 1 2 50 replies

Just a few items to keep me sane thru out the day

o o
(O)

[ Edited by: Caber-Net 2006-02-15 19:34 ]

i like that cup's mustace its very thick looking.

B
Bete posted on Thu, Feb 16, 2006 8:36 AM

That rocks, and obviously you don't work in corporate office building, ha, ha. Cool collection you got there.

Here is my little tiki corner in my cube, and I work in a Corporate setting. Nothing too crazy. I didn't want to leave any rare mugs on my desk just in case some of the nightly custodians collect tiki.

B
Bete posted on Thu, Feb 16, 2006 4:23 PM

TikiTrevor, that is totally cool too, thanks for the post!

I love your business card holder!
Lets see a few more work shrines.

OH? Whats the bottle opener for?

[ Edited by: Caber-Net 2006-02-16 18:15 ]

hey, what I do on my breaks are my own business. Just don't look in the mini-fridge under my desk.

G

You know, I've been thinking about jacking up the tikiness of my office space a notch or two. Don't want to upset the natives, so I'll probably do it gradually. Any good ideas on wall hangings that would add that tiki touch without screaming "Tiki bar is open!!" Oooooohhhh, maybe a tapa hanging would do the trick...

Start with your PC wallpaper. Plus that can provide hours of distraction trying to find the perfect scene.

Replace your desk with a TIKI BAR.

RR

My area at work. BTW, I'm right across the hall from our HR department.

Entering the cube

Looking in

Sitting down

[ Edited by: Rob Roy 2008-10-30 12:17 ]

G

On 2006-02-17 07:11, TIKI DAVID wrote:
Replace your desk with a TIKI BAR.

What part of "without screaming 'Tiki bar is open!!'" didn't you understand? (kidding) :wink:

Rob Roy - Holy bejeebers man! Do you live in your cube? You've got some serious $$ sitting around there in mugs. I'd be afraid the cleaning crew might help themselves. Love the cube wall decoration.

T

Aw man! I love the torch in the cube! That's cool!

Wow Rob That cube is very Comfy

K

This has definitely unearthed yet another layer of passion for all things tiki. This approach would definitely be a creative way to help alleviate that pesky "spillage" phenomenon as one room fills up and you have no where to go but the next available space........ seems only natural……

well,GATOR, maybe when you are farther up the corp.food chain. (kidding)

B
Bete posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 7:12 PM

Rob Roy, your cube is so sweet! And the fact that you have Tiki Central up on your computer sceen is priceless, ha!

M

Mr. Roy,

Human Resources would like to see you and your manager at 0900 this morning to discuss your internet history.

Nicccceeee Digs man !!!

the fun part is we work together my cubie on the way to Rob's

How did I miss this thread??
Great spaces guys!

I'm only a lowly contract worker on a short term contract, so I haven't gone all out decorating my office space.

My boss gave me this (fake) pufferfish for Christmas.

Plastic Kona Coffee Mill mug is my pencil holder. The hideous ceramic fish (?) is from Goodwill - it was so ugly I had to have it.

Shriner shrine (my work involves historical photographs)

Cool sweet daddy, I love the puffer.

I think that ceramic 'fish' may actually be a guy with a mohawk and a nose ring on the tip of his nose. Makes a colourful paperweight.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Mar 11, 2006 3:58 PM

I just started my first job after graduating a couple of months ago. I think I may have to pick up the tikiness a notch or ten :)

ok, i can't help but notice that everywhere (well almost) i look there are shriners. What's with the shriners? Where are the silly cars??

On 2006-03-11 18:09, PockyTiki wrote:
ok, i can't help but notice that everywhere (well almost) i look there are shriners. What's with the shriners? Where are the silly cars??

Here.

they still weird me out, though...

Well then pocky, you'd probably HATE the FOM

Ehhh!!! cringes in fear Those...hats....

This thread almost makes me wish I worked in a cube. I tried to dress up my "aerospace work environment" with mugs and various other objects. Somehow the giant F-22 poster flanked by the Apache Helicopter model hanging on my co-workers wall takes away most of Mr. Bali Hai's glory. Someday I will have my own office.......someday.

A few tips for those wanting to Tikify your workspace:

Nothing of great monetary value.
Nothing you don't mind loosing or breaking.
Start slowly and work up to it. Too much too fast draws attention and will spook your boss.

And, with a little patience and a lot of planning:

Next to my desk. This part is still under planning.

This is directly in front of my desk and is the first thing visitors to my office see.

To the right of my desk. I have a chair, a table, a plant, my Hukilau Poster and my Tikilicious print.

And my credenza behind my desk. Also still under planning and construction.

It make decorating easier that I am in an interior office and have no windows. It also helps that I am the supervisor in my office so there are only a few people that can actually give me any grief for my decorating style.

Good luck! Happy Decorating! Post lots of pictures!

Awesome stuff gang. Hey where do you get that cane or bamboo fencing I saw covering walls in several of those photos. Can you order it by the roll?

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:46 ]

RR

It's reed fencing not bamboo.

Mahalo for the 411. Now I just have to see if the Lowes here in the Lehigh Valley will be able to get it.

J

Recently I moved to a new building, and in the process I lost my window and my view of the San Francisco Bay. So when I got to the new cubicle, I decided to make it a place I could live in. There were some considerations: 1) I could not put things on the outside of the cubicle; 2) All additions had to be easily removable; 3) Anything I put in the cubicle might find its way out of the building in the hands of the cleaning crew, so nothing of monetary or sentimental value should be included.

I forgot to take before pics, so here are pics of the cubicle next door that looks just like mine did, and like every other cubicle on the floor looks.

AFTER
Here is the view as you enter the cubicle:

The wall I'm usually facing:

The "Wall o' Tiki Art and Postcards":

The tropical flower arrangement in the dead corner behind the lei-framed monitor, and one of the overhead cabinets which has two bamboo reed placemats as frames for tropical photographs:

The other overhead cabinet with the placemats framing color photocopies of two mini Chongolio paintings (remember, nothing valuable in the cubicle, so the originals are at home). Also notice that the same bamboo placemats have covered the generic beige bulletin boards under the overhead cabinets... the pushpins still go right through between the reeds:

The tropical sunrise poster on the wall over the black metal file cabinet that serves as my credenza:

And a close-up of the tableau on the bamboo runner on the "credenza" including an original doodle by Little Lost Tiki:

Some of the comments I've heard are: "It feels like Tahiti in here!" "Your cubicle makes me feel like I'm on vacation!" And my personal favorite: "Where's the blender?"

Here are my sources:
Cost Plus World Market: grass mat used to cover main wall, bamboo runner, tropical photos and poster, luahala pencil cup and candy cup, bamboo and woven reed drink coasters
Bed Bath & Beyond: bamboo tissue box cover, bamboo reed placemats
Hula Beach in San Clemente: the lei around the computer monitor
Beverly's Craft Store: faux tropical flowers behind monitor
My company holiday party raffle: Hula Homer
Chongolio's Yard Sale-o-Rama: faux hibiscus garlands along top of grass mat and side wall, green ceramic faux bamboo planter used for flower arrangement, two small live bamboo plants, the cute little monkey note clip, the plastic puffer fish hanging from the overhead cabinet

The Little Lost Tiki artwork on the Wall o' Tiki Art & Postcards are just printouts of online pictures. The postcards and the Tonga Hut Tiki Wonderland print are ones that I have duplicates of. There are also a few tiki magnets on the cabinets, and the one thing you can't really see in the pics is the "Notes from the Tiki Pad" note pad designed by Chongolio on the desk in front of the computer.

Oh, one last thing ... under the regular Hershey's Kisses in Easter colors are some of the Limited Edition Coconut Creme Kisses! I just had to have tiki snacks too!

This has been a fun process! Thanks for looking!

Wow....you folks have really done great jobs on your cubes....I am impressed. I'll bet you are more productive in the tiki environment...which is good for the company. :)

"where's the blender" LOL that's priceless. Great cubes guys! thanks for sharing.

my favorite "did you drink out of all those"

Great Job Jentiki!
Beautiful! Tikifreaks...Represent!!! :)
Your booth is probably a breath of fresh tropical air for all those sad cubicle dwellers!
Hooray! Squid's Tonga Hut Tiki Wonderland print always makes me smile! Same with Chongolio's work!!!! Hooray!

K

Jen~ that cube is fantastic!! Great imagination! It must make it easy to go to work every day, I bet it's relaxing in there...do you serve Mai Tais after work?
:wink:
K.

My desk is such a mess, I only got postcards up... however, now I'm inspired to add a lot more creativity on my desk. As much as I hate my job, it's time to start making myself a little home away from home... hmmm, now if I can find a way to tiki-fi my car, now that will be a challenge.

I'm not too familiar with cubical life but it's so cool that you can do that to your work station. Way to go!

J

On 2007-04-11 13:24, hawaiiansnowball wrote:
My desk is such a mess, I only got postcards up... however, now I'm inspired to add a lot more creativity on my desk. As much as I hate my job, it's time to start making myself a little home away from home... hmmm, now if I can find a way to tiki-fi my car, now that will be a challenge.

There are some great suggestions on this thread for tikifying your car. I've already got a few tiki touches in mine, but I have some ideas and will be implementing them in the next couple of months.

On 2006-02-21 15:07, Dr. Shocker wrote:
the fun part is we work together my cubie on the way to Rob's

where do you guys work? The Cult Of The Eye World Headquarters????

well it is in a secret layer hidden in a volcano in oh nevermind

The three biggest tikis are courtesy of my secret admirer.
These guys keep my spirits up when I'm looking at code.

RR

Bump and I have a new cube with new cube photos coming soon.

I love that you guys are able to display your love of tiki at work. I work as a counselor in a treatment agency and there is no way that I could ever display anything that had anything to do with alcohol. In fact, a few weeks back my supervisor asked me why I never invite him over. I told him is was because I had a tiki bar in my house and ran out of his office. Luckily, I still have my job and even got a raise right after that. HA!

Pages: 1 2 50 replies