Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

my modern tiki mug and bowl collection

Pages: 1 35 replies

i've really enjoyed collecting these. i've met (on the internet) some great people including eric, tim, caren, stuckie, and gecko. mike/gecko in particular has become a very good friend. we have plans to meet in person soon. i've been to guy's tiki hut a few times, and he's a great person, too. i'm very glad i found tiki central. i like modern tiki the best, so here are some pictures of my favorite modern tiki mugs and bowls. mahalo, bullet

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2006-02-20 14:18 ]

NICE!!!!!! Collection!! I'm jealous!!

Gasp...Damn Bullet, I need to go and cath a breath of fresh air after vieing all that! :D

Amazing. How long did it take to put this collection together? I'm really impressed with how many great modern tiki mugs there are. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Wheres your SPEED TIKI?
I know you got one...

WOW, what a great collection! I'm really diggin' the tiki art! It looks as if it is metal art? Whatever it is, it's super cool!

that my friend is un flippin real....im at a loss for words....

G

Unbelievable collection. Thanks for sharing!

RB

W O W !

T

I would say that your screen name King is very fitting. You are wealthy in mugs. It seems that your shelves fit with your mugs exactly. What happens when you get one more mug??

That artwork is exciting. Hopefully it is made from fired clay as well and not metal.

Seeing your mugs like this is truly amazing. It is a very different look then seeing them one at a time.

Show Off!! Just playin'. Really looks killer. The shelving you had done looks great. Gimme a call, I lost your #. Maholla!

Holy Crap!
What a wonderful display! Thanks for sharing.

(I want to see your tie dye collection next!)

Amazing collection. I, too, am a fan of mostly modern tiki mugs - and your collection puts mine to shame! Actually, I'm sure it puts most people's collections to shame. I hope you have about 10 lbs of museum putty holding them in place!

On 2006-02-16 23:04, Atomicchick wrote:
WOW, what a great collection! I'm really diggin' the tiki art! It looks as if it is metal art? Whatever it is, it's super cool!

i'm not surprised some of you mentioned this. it's a wood cut-out on a mirror with a bamboo frame done by none other than our own rev. bamboo ben!

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2006-02-17 16:53 ]

T

Wow! This is a fabulous collection! I'm jealous too! I have about 20 mugs and I thought that was a lot! Sheesh!

That carved wood/mirror is Neato Ben! Cool idea... Oh, and tha lava bowls - incredible!

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-02-17 19:41 ]

B

Wooah, that there's a Serious collection. Almost More mugs than I have ever seen in one picture. I just Know you have had Hours and hours of fun finding and collection that mess o' mugs. All I can Say is WOW, and
HappyHappyHappy!!!

yes ben, it's been fun collecting these! i'm a little embarrassed to admit i put this collection together in less than a year. yes, i've thrown a lot of $ at it, but i've also cultivated relationships with other collectors, manufacturers and artists. this is the best part! i added one more pic to the original post of some more of my favorites including cali's finest, don hudson's speed tiki!

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2006-02-20 14:19 ]

T

King, you are a very interesting guy probably because you have done what a lot of us have tried or only dreamed about. I too am a new collector of mugs and new to collections.

Your collection needs to be in a future issue of TikiMagazine but I was wondering if you have collected anything in the past cause your great mug collection is more of a recent venture

On 2006-02-19 06:44, teaKEY wrote:
I was wondering if you have collected anything in the past cause your great mug collection is more of a recent venture

you name it , i've collected it! :) i started with baseball cards in the 60's. i have large collections of olympic and sports pins, baseball buttons, basketball buttons, sacramento kings memoribilia, game worn basketball jerseys, a&w mugs, funko wacky wobblers, spastik plastik toys, frankenstein toys, rat fink toys, vans slipons and, yes, tie dye shirts (mostly grateful dead). i picked my user name because i have courtside tix to the kings and always wear tie dyes so my friends can spot me. however i'm most excited about my tiki collection.

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2006-02-20 14:59 ]

T

Glad to see that you are wearing your tiki heart on your selves with all your mugs. You HAVE TO BE around for awhile now. I like the tiki aspest that you can enjoy it for the rest of your life. Its an all ages thing.
My updated Frankenstein glimps is my signature. And its
big boy.

yikes, impressive collection.

After seeing Atomicchick's & your modern mug collections en masse, I have a newfound respect for the modern stuff.
It is kind of a powerful visual to see them all together like that.
I really like the white shelving you display them on, they really pop on that crisp white background!
I've got a few new things, but most were gifts.
I've got my hands full just trying to manage the vintage stuff. I havent got the room or wallet to start grabbing all the cool new tiki stuff.
I think the Tiki Diablo shrunken head mug is completely & totally unreal. Definitely my standout favorite of all the new mugs.

Your collection displays beautifully. Makes me want to start doing the multiple color thing. (If only I had the space.)

M

My My My. Is Munk a family member or what? Sweeet ones indeed.

On 2006-02-20 05:17, McTiki wrote:
My My My. Is Munk a family member or what? Sweeet ones indeed.

i wish! :) stuckie and paul are great guys and i'd be proud to have them in my family. i've never even met them in person though. my wife and i hope to visit them this spring.

i'd also like to say something nice about the gallery owners i've dealt with. i'm sorry i can't remember all their names, but the galleries they own are: m modern, outre, outer edge, shooting gallery and dva (david). all are friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. other nice people i've met on the internet are tiki tony, kirby, kaha ki'i, dave (bk), vic, holden, stephanie g, c'al, doug h, sven, kate, frank, nicolas, greg and freddie. i've also met matt in person once and he's coming to town again soon to complete another trade. i'm sure i've forgotten others who have made tiki collecting so much fun. mahaho to all!

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2006-02-20 14:54 ]

T

The best mug collection I've seen. I like the new ones. Is there even a Munktiki tiki mug that you don't have. Anyone can answer this. I'm just asking because it dosen't look like even one isn't theere..

You see the new one that they are making for Oasis? It seems like they changed there formula and moved to an older style more realistic design. And the new one of their website. Has a feel of older maybe European style. I have been waiting for a bigger mug. I see myself drinking out of this one regularly

J

King... If you had a drink out ever one of your mugs, every day, you could go fifteen months without drinking from the same mug twice! (With my modest collection, I could only do that for about a week!)

mahalo for the kinds words everybody! yes, teakey, there are a few i'm still looking for including: cavetiki moai special color, totem kun #51-75, kreepy white, brewtiki, waimea brewing co, moai shot pink, moai shot purple, moai shot blue, skull yellow, skull purple, skull green, volcano bowl featuring t - green and smiler. i just got the new munktiki, pohaku po'o. very cool! it's large and feels good in the hand. i'm glad i got an extra to drink from. i'm not going to be able to go to tiki oasis, so if anyone wants to trade the new tiki oasis munktiki, let me know. i have a lot of traders here: http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/collection.cgi?mode=gallery&user_id=120&rep=yes&tag=for%20trade&show=80

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Mar 2, 2006 4:32 PM

Yes king but those are mostly colors. One color is enought for me. I usually have a favorite color for a given mug. Although, Atomictiki has a U Bastard in a pink that I've always wanted. I'm usually not a pink guy but I like the pink cause you don't see them too often.

L

Just had the pleasure of viewing "da Bull's" (King's) mug collection. WOW - displayed well and those new big bowls/platters/wash basins by Gecko are amazing in person. You have to respect the determination to put the whole thing together.

T
teaKEY posted on Mon, Mar 6, 2006 3:52 PM

Everytime I look over at your name, you got a few new mugs and bowls. I'm not really into the bowls, but I would have to say that they are the crown jewels of your collection. I got a question for you, I'll PM you.

That is a sweet collection for sure and in less then a year, NIce stuff Jeff

W-H-O-A KING!!! GOOD(jack)LORD,man!! PuhLeeeze don't step on me finger's whilst I pick me eyeballs off da floor! Incredible Mod-T mugs...How?When?Where?...do you find the time and $$$ to assemble such an elegant display? Never mind the 'Why?',that I can understand. You must have flipped another 'Lousiana Purchase' to bankroll such a cache. Good on ye-Mate...but with all the bright swirling colors Kingstiedye, I uh, uhhgh er..feel- 'GASP' -a little green...

Great Stuff King! gotta run, -flip-flop-flip-flop-flippp --TravelingJones

Mouth gaping open...deep sigh...shaking head side to side...just amazing...and love you way you have them so neatly displayed. :)

great collection! really well done!

Amy

hows about some updated pics of yer mug collection dye?

Pages: 1 35 replies