Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The winner of the Second-Ever Tiki Central Mug Design Contest

Pages: 1 2 3 4 187 replies

Good Idea, MTM.

P

By the way, the use of the phrase "fresh mint" in your design is a clear violation of copyrights wholly owned by The Crazed Mugs and we hereby declare that you owe us .002% of all profits from the sale of said mug and/or drinking apparatus.

Besides, it's spelled "FRESH MINT!"

Wahoo. A great mug concept. Can hardly wait. As a TC member who joined post Shecky, I am very excited to own this very unique hut (with mini Shecky attached). Now where is the order info?? I'm not missing out on this one...

michael g

That's AWESOME, Randy! I'm glad they chose to do yours in spite of the complexity. It will be the most unique tiki vessel on the shelf and well worth the cost, whatever it is. I'm no mixologist, but someone needs to create a special and unique tiki drink to accompany this party bowl!

Aaron

Gotta have it - Gotta have it - Gotta have it!!

Don't leave me off the list. This mug will be a true centerpiece.

I certainly want one. Of course around here people will wonder why I have a maple syrup lodge with straw holes.

--SBiM

T

What an awesome design. I definitely want one. Kudos to Chongholio for such a sweet design!

S

The Moai Lounge is in dire need of Ohana Hut!!!

Can't wait...

Scottiki

H
hewey posted on Sat, Feb 18, 2006 7:28 PM

Awesome looking mug! Man that thing is so extravagent "mug" seems to be lesten its value. I gotta start saving...

P
Pyro posted on Sat, Feb 18, 2006 8:57 PM

Great idea. I want one!

Congratulations Chongholio!

Hanford was kind enough to include me as one of the judges, and the Tiki Central Ohana Hut was my clear favourite, despite the excellent array of mugs up for judging. There was a brief moment of hesitation when I thought that it would be too difficult to make, but then I figured 'where there's a will, there's a way'.
Also, I've got a little Tiki ceramic hut that demonstrates that they aren't impossible to make. This one actually serves as an incense burner.

Anyway, a great competition and I think the best man won. Saying that, it would be nice to see the second and third place designs (which are inevitably easier to produce) made into mugs too. I don't suppose there's any chance of this?

Trader Woody

I found the contest the night it ended. I looked at every design and this was the one that stuck in my mind. So happy it won. Part of Dan's collection involves building Polynesian villages. Each has huts and all of his smallest tiki collectibles. Wouldn't it be wonderful if this became a yearly item with a different hut each time, we could move up to larger villages placing our larger tikis like Coco Joe's around them. Congratulations but I think all of us are the winners when we add this one to our collections. Wendy

T

COol ChongO. Can't wait to drink out of this one!

S

You da man Chongo.

Hats off!!

Wow, excellent choice! There was some tough competition on this one, but this design is so amazing.
Congratulations Chongo!
Put me down for one of these mugs too!

On 2006-02-18 07:01, pablus wrote:
Many other great designs, as well - The Lemoai MUST be made.
It just must.

I agree!

B
Bete posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 1:57 PM

Congratulations! Can't wait to see it made into a final product now, wow, congratulations again!

WOW... great design! I can't wait to see the finished product.
I definitely want to be on the list for this one.

-T.J.

Congrats Chongolio

On 2006-02-19 03:19, Trader Woody wrote:

I've got a little Tiki ceramic hut that demonstrates that they aren't impossible to make. This one actually serves as an incense burner.

Heres another example. Its from the collection of Feelin' Zombified

Fairyland Import Lantern Bowl at ooga mooga

Great design. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Dying to see the finished product. Congrats!

Drinks are on the house!!!

We'll have to have a housewarming party!!!

OK, sorry, I'll stop. I'm so happy you won, Chongolio dear. I had a feeling yours would be The One. Congratulations and a huge hug!

tikivixen

p.s. Sign me up for one too--I've opened the special Tiki Club Account :)

Chongo, super congrats on the vision and the victory. You so deserved it.

So, can there a be a cool graphic of the bowl for the rest of us poor shmoes to collect?

That one is gonna be a beaut!

S

The design would be much more doable and usable if it were changed to a small round hut design rather than the large rectangular house. Same elements, including the lid with straw hole(s), a managable size. Something to think about.

I like it. Nice new design.

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky 2006-02-20 09:08 ]

J
Jawa posted on Mon, Feb 20, 2006 12:42 PM

Very cool design, congratulations!

Maybe a lay-away plan needs to be implemented here :D

Congrats Chongolio! I definitely want one too!!!

H
hmc posted on Mon, Feb 20, 2006 2:28 PM

Congrats on winning! I love the presentation of your entry.

On 2006-02-20 09:07, Swanky wrote:
The design would be much more doable and usable if it were changed to a small round hut design rather than the large rectangular house.

I agree, this would be very cool.

RR

I think this one is going to sell out alot faster than Shecky.

This was one of my favorites too.

Love it! Congrats!!! Put me on the list too!!

Nicely done. This was definately a well deserved win. Hopefully I'll be able to afford one once it comes out, a smaller version would suite me fine but I love the long look of it.

nice one randy
Now you know why I chose you to do my logo! I knew you were the man with no stinckin contest! - That Said a lot of the other designs were cool too - No disrespect one love..

NICE work and sign me up $$

S
SES posted on Tue, Feb 21, 2006 12:13 AM

Beautiful Design! Congrats!

I really loved this design.

The only problem I have with this design winning is that I probably won't be able to buy two of them because everyone wants one. With this design I really wanted one for the shelf and one(or even two!) to use.

Congrats to everyone that entered, you all did WAY better than I could have!

RB

Amazing design...congrats Chongolio! Looking forward to spending a lot of $$ on it and drinking lots of rum out of it!

O

congrats man, great design,i loved it like the other as soon as i saw it. Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

congrats one hell of a design......now to save $$$

T

As another member who missed Shecky I am also excited to get the new Tiki Central Ohana Hut. Beautiful design can't wait to own it... If there is a list I would also like to be on it!

Tikisgrl

its beeeuuuutifullll!

I missed out on Shecky, please add me to the "I REALLY want a Tiki Central Ohana Hut" list. Awesome design can't wait to own it. Nice work!

P
pik0 posted on Wed, Feb 22, 2006 12:26 PM

You ROX bruddah!!

I'm so glad I hired you to do my logo as well (http://www.HawaiianConcertGuide.com)!!

I'm definitely on the list to purchase the mug/boat when it is produced!! :)

Debuting here for the first time, Chongolio created a square version of my logo for some other marketing efforts. SCHWEET brah!!

Piko

Chongolio's square version of the Hawaiian Concert Guide logo:

D

Congratulations Chongolio!! Your design could be used in one of those Esher-esque paintings....you know, where there's a guy in a hut, drinking out of a hut, where there's a guy inside that hut, drinking out of a hut, where there's a guy inside that hut, where there's a guy inside the hut, drinking out of a hut, where there's a guy inside that hut, drinking out of a hut, where there's a guy inside that hut, drinking out of a hut, where there's a guy inside that hut, drinking out of a hut, where there's a guy inside that hut, drinking out of a hut, where there's a guy inside that hut....

Arrrrsome!!!!

Chongo Rocks!!!

Make it have 4 straw holes !!!!

Bigger is Better !!!

( finally a tiki hut wins over a tiki !!!!)

T

Bigger is better - and 4 holes, like the reverend said. Put me on the list too!

Thanks, Mahalo and mucho gracias everybody!!!!
I still have my head stuck in the stratus opacus and my feet have not touched the terra firma in days. I really am glad that all of you are all so stoked on the design. I talked with Stuckie and the Man From Munkle yesterday and they are both very enthusiastic about this project and eager to start. Stuckie and I went over some of the details and I am going to start working on more detailed sketches for the outside walls this week. I let them know I was not opposed to any design tweaks that will make the mug easier to produce thus more affordable. He is not phased by any of the detail of my design and not worried about any of the detail.
Hanford as we all know is da man and there still are some things to hash out regarding the actual size, how many will be made and a few other details. I would like to see the mug made big enough for all of us to sip off it at the same time, but as Hanford has pointed out. He wants to make it some what affordable. The bigger it gets the more expensive it becomes. So it doesn't make much sense to have an Ohana Hut that only the ali'i can afford.
Prints are a possibility but once again this is Hanford's gig and he has the final word on what happens. Also, the art I submited for the contest were rough sketches at best and were not intended to be printed. If prints become a possibility the art will have to be reworked in a higher resolution to be printed.
I am excited to get crackin' on this and hope to talk to Hanford in the near future about the next step to getting started and getting my star back.

Once again a very gigantic THANK YOU from a very humble Chongolio. Y'all are the rockers!

Chongz

I still have my head stuck in the stratus opacus

That happened to me but the doctor used forceps to get me out before I turned blue.

Any ideas of the ballpark in which you're trying to keep it?

As sketched, I could see that being $100+ (going by the Hukilau bowl, which although it has the handpainted stripe of gold, is simple comparitively). That's the basis for my fearful post on p.1.

I just hate to miss both a Shecky (none available back then) and an Ohana hut (if too costly for me) :(

The design is incredible Chongholio!!!!! Congrats on winning the contest!

K

Fantastic job Chongolio! An fanstastic job to all entries. That is one of the coolest designs ever.

Definately put me on the list is there is one yet.

Scotty

P
pik0 posted on Fri, Feb 24, 2006 10:37 AM

On 2006-02-23 05:54, RevBambooBen wrote:
Arrrrsome!!!!

Chongo Rocks!!!

Make it have 4 straw holes !!!!

I think, if I can interpret Chongo's illustration properly, it appears that there are already 4 straws sticking out. So, your dream may already be coming true! :)

If you look at the drawing, there are to straws in the foreground, and then what appear to be 2 more what appear to be shadows of the foreground ones. I think these are intended to be 2 more... :)

Piko

Pages: 1 2 3 4 187 replies