Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tikiskip's / Kahiki lamp,Tiki bar lights, fishing float light

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 920 replies

T

Hello my name is John AKA Tikiskip I live in Tropical Columbus Ohio and grew up with great places like the
Kahiki, Jai Lai, Windward passage and more....
I make Tiki bar Lights mostly but also make other tiki type decor.
Some of the lights I make are.....

Skip floats (This is a light of my own design w/ glass float @ rattan cage)
Fish float type lights (glass globe with the netting)
Basket style
Fish or eel trap lights
Resin tiki lights
All paper globe lights (One of these hang in Svens house, You know him he wrote THE book)

{QUOTE Sven}
On 2011-07-15 22:24, bigbrotiki wrote:
Skip, I've been a fan of your lamps fo evva. Your love of detail, your aging techniques, the visible time spent on each piece make them the only lamps I would hang among my vintage ones. One day I am gonna get me one of those cork ones!

I do sell these lights every now and then, so let me know if ya need something.
(You can PM me here from Tikicentral)
This is not how I make a living though so it is a fun hobby for me.
Thank you and please take a look at my works....

This is a bottle rack I've been working on at my friends bar. Largo's in columbus ohio. Not tiki yet. But closer every day.

![](https://tikicentral.com/uploads/4035/513ce114.jpg)  
"Let us sale one to you"

[ Edited by: tikiskip  2013-03-12 06:47 ]
K
kirby posted on Sat, Feb 18, 2006 9:13 AM

looks tiki enough for me ...I love the pirate/tiki theme... The crows nest is an awsome touch...good work...

I don't drink, but I'd be willing to start with a bar like that.

Oh my gosh! I love the crow's nest, rope ladders and the skulls. Love, love, love! Brilliant!! The entire thing is amazing. =D

P

Very cool rack.
(and you can't just say that anywhere - yukyuk)

H
hewey posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 3:12 AM

Cool grog rack. Its not strictly tiki, but could very easily be tiki adapted - and thats enough for me. Nice work

TS,
Fine work, looks very, how should I put it, REFRESHING.
Kind of a shame to cover up all that fine work.

T

Here is a swizzle stick/napkin holder I made out of one of those old bamboo wine racks. the cool thing is the specialized compartment I made for the umbrellas on the left, And the smaller picks on the right.
This was retooled for Forbidden Islands first anniversary party.
Hakalugi here on TC has it now. (wish I kept that one)

"Let TIKISKIP Yaba Daba Do" you a light......:)

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2013-03-12 06:56 ]

T

This is a new lamp I made. It is a copy of a lamp I saw at hala kahiki. Very easy to make. Cheap too.
I also tie Lots And LOTS of float lights too.

SOLD

-==--==--==--==-Google "Tiki bar lights" To find TIKISKIP-==--==--==--==-

¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦:-**-:¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2013-03-12 06:32 ]

Wow, your stuff is awesome!
I don't know how I ever missed this thread - I'd be elated to display any of your work in my home bar! Thanks for posting!

That lamp is AWESOME. AWESOME. Well done! You got more lamps to share?

(ps - looks like you were inspired by an OA piece)

T

Yes it may be OA, I saw one like it in hala kahiki. I've made alot of lights. Here's some more. Mostly old baskets, bottles, The last one is an old ottoman.
The first light is called Mittie because it looks like a cook I had at my diner Jack's.

•:•:••:•:••:•:••:•:••:•:••:"If you do fine work you will never die":••:•:••:•:••:•:••:•:••:•:•
TIKISKIP

Lights for home and
commercial TIKI bars.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2013-03-12 06:24 ]

T

Thanks for the compliments. Having Sevn say such great things about my work
really made my day if theres one person who knows these lights it's him.
Here's is a reproduction of the table lamp that was at the Kahiki restaurant.
Even made the shade. Only made three of these lights.
I love making tiki stuff. Thats whats great about TC. The sharing of ideas.

"Let TIKISKIP Yaba Daba Do" you a light......

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2013-03-12 07:16 ]

T

Thems some nice lamps there. I like the last one the best! The color is dreamy - would go great in any tiki bar.

8T

Excellent work John! The crow's nest is brilliant.
BTW, Looking forward to meeting you at Coon-tiki.

8FT

B

Yes, My thoughts exactly 8Ft. Tikiskip, this is a lot of really nice work and the end result is awesome. The crows nest is a real jewel. I'm also looking forware=d to meeting you all at the CoonTiki Woodcarving Seminar.

V
virani posted on Sat, Mar 4, 2006 1:30 AM

Excellent work...really cool

T

Thanks guys, Yeah coontiki going to be alot of fun! Can't wait to meet all. Plus it will be my first carving ever. Going to stay a virgin till I get there.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2015-01-25 09:50 ]

T

Here is another lamp I made. About 4 hours to make. The funny thing is, I got this old basket at an antique show. It had some trash in it. I felt really stupid asking if I could buy this ladies trash can. But I got it for 2 bucks. So alls well that ends well.

SOLD

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›•:TIKISKIP:•:MAKES:•:FLOAT:•:LIGHTS:•‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2013-03-12 08:10 ]

sweet lamp. I love it.

J
Jawa posted on Thu, Mar 9, 2006 10:42 AM

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives...aka, you have given me some ideas!

Very nice lamps, and I really like the napkin/swizzle holder!

T

This is my latest lamp. Got the idea from tiki diablo. He hipped me to weaving rattan. I thought you had to be some kava chewin native to weave rattan.
Thanks Danny.

SOLD

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2009-06-05 06:09 ]

C

Mr. Skip!! Dang dude those lamps are boss! That shrunken head lamp is unreal!! I'm lookin to build some kind of hanging lamp for my "Tiki Tavern" in my garage. But with my luck I'll burn the house down. Don't think the wife would be too stoked with that.

Do you ever give demonstrations or post in the "craft section" on How to...

Mahalos cuzzin.

T

I did a small light how to. It was make a light out of corn holders. Just go to flea markets and look for stuff that looks like it could have been in trader vic's. Baskets, Hats, Globes, Ect... And put in a socket. Another great source is franks cane and rush. They have Bamboo, Rattan, And other cool stuff. I will try and do a step by step soon.

UPDATE: To see TIKISKIP how toos go here....
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=40109&forum=18&80

"Roses are red, these floats are blue, Send me some money and they belong to you"..."TIKISKIP"

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2013-03-12 07:38 ]

B

Excellent stuff, goes to show, one mans trash (can) is another mans treasure. Keep up the great work TSkip.

T

Here's my latest project. The bamboo cocktail shaker with coconut top. Yes it works, just incase that pesky guy who rains on your parade comes over and says" Nice but dose it work"

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2008-04-23 06:23 ]

K

awsome...now I want one...

B

Definitely Nie. How did you do that round with dot texture? Excellent

Wholly Crap!!! skip that thing is totally awesome!!! Great job!! You never cease to amaze me!!!

Can I get one, pretty please?

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Benzart that round dot thing is done with the end of a Dremel bit for grinding. You just poke and poke till you cover the area. Then I wiped it with a dark stain, Only the areas of the bamboo that are carved take the stain. Kind of gives it a burned look. Last I covered it all with shelac.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2008-04-23 06:24 ]

T

This is my latest tiki lights. Made the first one with the top of one of those hanging shell mobiles. So its kind of small. Great for those low ceilings. The next one is a glass ball I tied nylon rope around.

SOLD

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2009-06-05 06:10 ]

That napkin/straw/umbrella caddy is brilliant! I love it. I want something like that for my dream bar.

The Big Woo

[ Edited by: BrianPettit 2006-06-28 18:42 ]

This is a new straw holder I made for the Tropical Bistro in Columbus.
Before they had the box of straws and napkins just sitting out.

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2011-12-24 15:16 ]

Hey John, love the napkin holder!

amy

T

Here are some fish float lights I made.
They are clear Christmas bulbs.
That I put clear paint in then tied
With two ply jute twine.

Nice stuff! I like your lights alot, haven't been in this thread in awhile, hell I like it all.
Teekee on
ST

These pictures don't do proper justice.. These are amazing in person- especially seeing everything together. You've got an eye for the details. Great work t-skip!!

M

Nice stuff! I'm really impressed with your rope tying, how did you learn to do it? I also love the napkin holder, it not only looks great, it looks sturdy enough that it should last. :)

your knot tying for the floats is ECXELLENT - very precise and even. YOu have much patience. your other tiki stuff is pretty damn cool too. thanks for sharing!

T

Thanks all. It takes about 1.5 hours to tie
a small float. (2inch dia)
I saw a thread here that posted a web site that
showed how to do it.
I will post a how to later.

T

Here is my new wall sconce tiki type light.
SOLD

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2009-06-05 06:11 ]

T

Wall lamp night veiw.

T

Another new light.

SOLD

[ Edited by: tikiskip 2009-06-05 06:11 ]

T

These are the doors to the tiki pool room.
Or the Ohana B Gonna lounge.

Close up of door handles

Love that bar back and all your great lamps. The napkin/straw/umbrella holders are pure genius....nice job. :)

T

If you would like to see more of our tiki digs.
Go to http://www.sevenpleasures.org/gallery/albums.php
I could not take photos as nice as Sabina and her
husband did.
Just look up tikiskip page #7.

K
KAHAKA posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2007 7:14 AM

Awesome, awesome lighting! Everything you do looks vintage.

Your pad is friggin' amazing, too. I'm Jealous with a capital J!

Kahaka

T

Thanks Kahaka. You make some great lamps too!
I try to make em look old.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 920 replies