Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 6 in San Diego - Book Now!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 164 replies

O
Otto posted on Sat, Feb 18, 2006 7:41 PM

Tiki Oasis travels to the sea!
Tiki News is proud to announce the 6th annual Tiki Oasis - The Magic of Tiki - in San Diego, CA
San Diego beckons us with its long, rich, Tiki history and abundance of surviving and new Tiki sites.

May 4 - 7, 2006
Join the Tiki Oasis fun by staying at The Hanalei hotel AND a spend an evening by the Bay at the Bali Hai.

DO NOT CONTACT THE HOTEL OR RESTAURANT FOR BOOKING ANY ASPECTS OF THIS EVENT
Tickets and room booking available at:
http://www.tikioasis.com

Three nights and 2 days of Tiki fun!
To get the real Tiki Oasis experience we highly recommend you stay at the Hanalei Hotel all four days. Imagine hanging out by the pool with dozens of fellow Tiki lovers (bring your pool toys and squirt guns). As the evening approaches follow the Tiki torches to the Islands restaurant where you can dine beside an indoor waterfall and lagoon surrounded by Polynesian artifacts and hanging fish floats. After sampling a Pirate Grog served in a skull mug, stumble back to your room. On your way take a detour into the secluded Tiki atrium and listen to the soft waterfall serenade. Off in the distance you here the exciting sounds of a room party in one of the Tower Suites. Grab a bottle of rum, bucket of ice or a can of pineapple juice and c'mon in - its Tiki Oasis time!

Thursday May 4th - Tiki Oasis Pre-Party
8 pm - 10pm, Free
Thursday night will kick off with a live performance by the Maikai Gents in the bar of the Islands restaurant at the Hanalei Hotel. Meet friends, make new friends, be the first one in the jacuzzi before the weekend starts.

In the late afternoon arriving hotel guests may want to acquaint themselves with the town by taking a Tiki tour with Marc and Darlynne of Wheretours.com 619-917-6037

Friday May 5th - Bali Hai party by the Bay
doors 6:30 pm til last call
$18 Those 17 and under are free if accompanied by an adult.
Carpool or ride the double decker bus to Shelter Island for a post-dinner party by the bay. King Kukulele, DJ Phast Phreddie (Brooklyn), The Sand Devils, Ape, and a special surprise guest.

We recommend you make dinner reservations at the Bali Hai prior to the event.

Saturday May 6th - The Magic of Tiki
doors 6 pm, LIVE entertainment 6:30pm - 10pm
Stay for after the show movie til midnight
$25 Those 17 and under are free if accompanied by an adult.
Experience the Magic of Tiki under the big tent at the Hanalei Hotel. Expect the finest in musical sets from Maikai Gents, King Kukulele, Ape, Shag with a Twist mini show, burlesque entertianment and across the desert sands of Nevada, live from Las Vegas, the only Tiki magician - James Dimmare. Stay for the late night movie after the show.

Prior to the show we recommend you make a reservation for dinner at the Islands restaurant. 619-297-1101

Saturday and Sunday May 6th and 7th - Tiki Shopping Bazaar
from 10 - 5 pm (open to the public)
Wander the Tiki bazaar in search of treasures. Kids can join King Kukulele's Tiki tour of the Hanalei or adults can grab a drink and enjoy Otto's "Sventiki Tour of Hanalei's Tiki Atrium" (Times T.B.A.)

Also check out a guided or self-guided Tiki tour of San Diego's rich Tiki sites. Wheretours.com is booking bike tours of San Diego Tiki sites for Sunday, Thursday and/or Friday.

Sunday May 7th
Shop while listening to DJed tunes, check out the annual Uke Jam led by Uncle Judd of The Maikai Gents at noon and join Tiki Oasis attendees for a secret Sunday happy hour at 5:30 all FREE of charge and open to the public

Tickets and room booking available at:
http://www.tikioasis.com

Stay an extra day and tour Tijuana, historical San Diego, San Diego Wild Animal Park or Zoo, Marineland, or take a break at Spa Tiki. Check out the ATTRACTIONS section of the Tiki Oasis booking site.

DO NOT CONTACT THE HOTEL OR RESTAURANTS FOR BOOKING THIS EVENT
all bookings will be handled through the Tiki Oasis website.

See you guys there! I just booked and am starting to count the days. Who else is coming?
Your friend,
Louis

S

ooooooooooooooooooooooh
I MIGHT ACTUALLY MAKE IT TO THIS!!!!
whoops, sorry bout the caps.
I'm schnockered and excited!
PEa

OK, I will be the first Dumb-Ass
First I read this

Then

AND
Prior to the show we recommend you make a reservation for dinner at
the Islands restaurant. 619-297-1101

I just want to play by the rules, but since I am s2pid can someone help me.
Contact----yes
Contact----no
Please cicle one

Thank you for your complete understanding and willingness to help

D

we're in...all reserved.. printed my tickets.. now the long wait till May!

On 2006-02-19 08:46, thebaxdog wrote:
First I read this

Then

AND

Contact----yes
Contact----no
Please cicle one

I think what this means is that dinner isn't included, so if you want dinner at either venue before the show, you'll have to make reservations with the restaurant. Yes?

Anyway, my tickets are bought and printed out. It's my first-ever oasis, so please be gentle.

Yeah, Baby, Tiki Oasis VI! Rebecca and I will be there Wednesday to Sunday. See ya.

Utopiandreem & I just booked for thursday-monday, whew, no i can relax.

TBird.

[ Edited by: Tiki Bird 2006-02-19 10:42 ]

"F"in A !!! The Whale Rider and I are booked and ready to Go!! Let the Good Times Roll!!!
Later,
Spermy

SoCal or Bust! Just booked for my first BIG event! Yeehaw! It will be great to finally meet up with many of you who I feel I know already! So many tikis, so little time. Arriving Friday morning so we can attend the festivities at the Bali Hai, and leave on Monday afternoon after the smoke clears. See you all soon!

• Myke
DZ

The Good Doctor and Pandora are booked, confirmed & printed!!

(Did somebody say "Thursday Night Room Party?" Yup, 4th annual, so be there!)

Tiki OaSIX here we come!!

:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Hey!

Are there any costume/theme contests this year? I've got a "totally wrong" idea for a "Sigfried & Roy" costume...

IN!!!!

Tiki Oasis-Here we come! Tickets are printed and the credit card has been abused once again!

whoa...I'm actually going this year...and vending too!

Stop by and say "howdy" or...anything else you'd want to say.

I got a hotel room and everything...very weird...

POLYNESIAC - putting the 'F' back in ART

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2006-02-19 16:13 ]

T

We're all booked.

We are booked and ready to party

I'm in... the first vendor booked per Otto. We're also booking our friends & long time neighbors Drew & Maria Brophy of Drew Brophy Surf Art (Drew's been painting Tikis well before the start of Tiki Farm). They're bringin' their whole staff so it should be a good showing and lots of fun! They've got a lot that they want to share!!!
Mahaloz,
Holden

Go Monkey Go!! I just booked mine too. I am waitin' to get the vendor info. Not sure if I wanna work this time around or take a vacation. I cannot wait to see all my friends again and bask in the all the magic that will be Tiki Oasis 6.
Yea!
Chongolio

Lost-Isle
Lost-Isle Trading Post
Barefoot bloggin'

[ Edited by: chongolio 2006-02-20 15:45 ]

B

Myself, Mike and the twins are in. Mai-Tai please :wink:

Hoping more vendor space opens up, would like to bring Midwestern tiki to San Diego :)

T

We are in. The fifth for us and the first for are new little one.
Looking forward to the new place.

O
Otto posted on Mon, Feb 20, 2006 4:27 PM

OK Bax, you got me on that one

Sometimes when I am immersed in this stuff I can't see the forest for the trees

I was thinkin that dinner reservations were not an aspect of the Tiki Oasis event
but obviously from a guest perspective they are related to the event

I am not handling dinner reservations in any way, there are no group seatings, no discounts, etc

BUT I highly recommend that everyone make their reservations NOW for both the Bali Hai and the Islands

I would like nothing more than to look into the Islands restaurant on Saturday and see a sea of Tiki Central members having a party in there and taking over the whole restaurant

I could not book the restaurant because they wanted me to gaurantee thousands of dollars if I wanted to book it - so you guys have to book it for me one by one.

On 2006-02-19 08:46, thebaxdog wrote:
First I read this

Then

AND

Contact----yes
Contact----no
Please cicle one

I did a "no-no" by logging on while at work...but it was worth it.
We are booked.

On 2006-02-20 09:27, Lake Surfer wrote:
Hoping more vendor space opens up, would like to bring Midwestern tiki to San Diego :)

Come on down, Lake - vending or not!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nina & I are booked. It's great to see all of the usual suspects chiming in already. The big question: Will there be a "Room Crawl 6"? This year we are staying at "The Hotel", not next door at Super 8. So if there is one, count us in!

A-A

Well I wasn't sure how the SD thing would play out. So many fond mammories at Caliente. But it's looking like a good time and if everyone else is in, so am I. "Book em Danno!!!" shakatiki and mini me on board.

TheTIKIGuy and the Mrs (Angelo an Alison) are booked and would not miss this event for the world.
Been attending since Oasis III. Looking forward to seeing all of our friends we have made throughout the years.

Mahalo.

[ Edited by: TheTikiGuy 2006-02-21 11:18 ]

TF

The Tiki Finks of Denver Colorado are booked! Looking forward to a Tikiriffic weekend!

Otto, I'm feeling kind of stupid here....

If you book at the Hanalai, is it safe to assume that two tickets to the Sat. "Magic of Tiki" are included? Or do we pay the $25 bucks separately. I know it worked out that way at the Caliente Tropics. I didn't really see anything definitive on the link. If I missed something, I apologize, but clarification would be greatly appreciated.

I'd hate to have booked at the hotel, just to find ourselves listening from our balcony and staring down at a the top of a tent.

I can't wait.......I know the rum will be flowing......room already booked

By the way, the phone number to book dinner reservations at the Bali Hai for Friday night is... (619) 222-1181. And they ARE accepting reservations already!

WooHooo Bali Hai Dinner Reservations made. Spermy don't forget to bring your can of Spam for Soccer Tiki. :)Double Woo Hooo Islands reservations made too!!
For anyone staying Sunday The Islands Restaurant has an Awesome Champagne Brunch for $31 per person.

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-02-22 16:27 ]

O
Otto posted on Wed, Feb 22, 2006 6:09 PM

Tickets to both events or either event are NOT included with the booking of the hotel

I did it this way for a variety of reasons

1. the hotel rooms are cheaper than tropics so ticket prices are offset by the cheaper room rate for you
  2. I am getting charged for vendors and for usage of the pavilion and therefore wanted to keep it separate
  3. I have to buy food at the Bali Hai so that has to be a separate ticket to cover those costs plus entertainment costs
  4. both events are open to the general public (San Diego folks) who most likely won't be booking hotel rooms so it would create a lot of extra work to have comp tickets for hotel guests (the hotel would charge a fee to distribute them at time of check in)
  5. it actually allows for more flexibility which some folks had been asking for over the past couple years

etc, etc,

if you have already booked a room just go back on the site and book tickets

On 2006-02-21 20:57, CheekyGirl wrote:
Otto, I'm feeling kind of stupid here....

If you book at the Hanalai, is it safe to assume that two tickets to the Sat. "Magic of Tiki" are included? Or do we pay the $25 bucks separately. I know it worked out that way at the Caliente Tropics. I didn't really see anything definitive on the link. If I missed something, I apologize, but clarification would be greatly appreciated.

I'd hate to have booked at the hotel, just to find ourselves listening from our balcony and staring down at a the top of a tent.

Are we there yet?

Are we there yet?

I had to go for one of the ground level Kings near the pool & jacuzzi. Have blender will travel!

Signed....Anxious in Allentown.

The Mrs and I are in, we got a Superior King. I like the idea of having a balcony to spit/puke off of. I'll be calling to make reservations at restaurants in the morning.

TF

We were suprised at how easy it was to get into Bali Hai for rezzies. Still wonderin' what time the buss leaves for Shelter Island. Hope that there are a ton of folks at the Bali Hai!!!

Tiki Finks of Denver.

WE MISS TIKI BOYD'S !!!

Primo Powa!!!

The Mr and I will be attending. We enjoyed our first outing (Farewell to Royal Hawaiian last weekend) so much that we figured we oughta step it up and really party with the whole lot a yous guys!
AND, they take pets! Can we dress our wiener dogs up like something? IS there a theme for dressin up, or is that restricted to private desert locales?
We got a King Standard, hopefully near the pool, that we will be decorating with a few tiki trinkets from home. Always a travel necessity!
Perhaps a progressive room to room drink contest? (I've never been to one of these yet, but it sounds like the "Room Crawl" may be what I'm picturing) The Mr. has a bazillion drink recipes he's dying to try. I'll make him pick 1 or 2.
CAN'T WAIT!!

Well, kids, I think I have you all beat. It looks like me and the wahine will be coming from the farthest away (unless some wacky Europeans or Aussies decide to come).

I was thinking of seeing if I could get a hawaiian shirt made out of flannel, but it's probably too late. So I guess I will have to just wear my LL Bean boots with my shorts when we are out there.

Yes, we are BOOKED! This'll be our first trip to So Cal, so... be gentle.

--SBiM

OK. The MR is really behind this drink contest thing, so I am wondering what you all think about it. I mean, if he's willing to brew up a vat of Mr Mystery Mambo, I say let him (free drinks for yous guys) and let him think he's a wonderful mixologist (he really is!)
And perhaps a few others would like to mix up their special concoctions.
We reserved a standard room, so hopefully we'll be right at the pool. This would be the idea location for drink prep.

T

Savage Patty and I will be there for our 2nd Oasis. Mmm sweet rum and friendly tiki people. Can't wait.

On 2006-02-24 19:36, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:
Well, kids, I think I have you all beat. It looks like me and the wahine will be coming from the farthest away (unless some wacky Europeans or Aussies decide to come).

I know I don't have the shortest (I think Joey has us all beat), but 9.35 Miles is pretty good! :D

WooHoo, You got that right about the Sunday brunch at the Islands. I hit the one at the Bali Hai when I was out there for New Years but this time around it'll be the Islands.

Bastard, Glad to see I am not the only one using this as a way to escape the cold NE. Look forward to pounding some Mai-Tais with you. Should I bring Tasty Kakes?

Otto,

Does the Hanalei have an official stance on serving alcohol from ones room? (or setting up a bar in ones room).

Will we encounter any resistance to drink contests and the like? I know that it was always against hotel policy at the CT but I also know that former management was accepting of the festivities.

I just want to avoid any unfortunate surprises with hotel security (assuming that they do have security).

Don't worry about security Pug and I will punch them in their noses!

On 2006-02-26 07:15, rugbymatt wrote:
Bastard, Glad to see I am not the only one using this as a way to escape the cold NE. Look forward to pounding some Mai-Tais with you. Should I bring Tasty Kakes?

Well, we will have to figure out what drinks go best with Butterscotch Krimpets. I am thinking something with Kahlua. I would think a mudslide would work.

Looking forward to meeting you, Matt. It's always good to talk to someone else from the Lehigh Valium.

You know you're from the Lehigh Valley when you have to explain to someone that you are NOT from the Middle East (Bethlehem, Nazareth, Egypt, Emmaus...)

--SBiM

N
Netty posted on Sun, Feb 26, 2006 2:24 PM

The hubby and I booked our tickets last weekend. We can't wait. I haven't booked the dinner reservations yet, but after reading some of these posts will do that today. Like Otto said, let's fill the restaurant with Tiki Centralites and have a party!

Can't wait to see all you great peeps and have some great libations with everyone.

SD here we come!

T

What time are you making your reservations for, in order to get to the shows on time?

On 2006-02-27 11:45, Tikiwmn wrote:
What time are you making your reservations for, in order to get to the shows on time?

That depends... Are you a slow eater or a fast eater?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 164 replies