Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 6 in San Diego - Book Now!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 164 replies

T

Ha Ha, Hakalugi. Depends on what I'm eating. No, seriously, how early are you guys making the reservations for?

Soccer Tiki and I made our Bali Hai Reservations for 6:00 and our Islands Reservations for 5:30 :)

We also made our Bali Hai reservations for 6:00pm on Friday. "The doors open at 6:30" for the Event there, thus we selected 6:00pm. No food fights from across the room, WooHoo! :wink:

• Myke

WooHoo...You really think you'll actually get around to eating?!?! Usually (as of late) we sit and around and chit chat and DRINK (!!!YES!!!) for so long, the food kinda slips our minds.
The Mr told me I socialize so much, why bother with actually sitting at the table and eating?
We'll probably grab something latter.
Like some hot German...food.

Okay, haven't been able to log on for a bit! But, thanks for the clarification Otto!

Booked and printed!

[ Edited by: CheekyGirl 2006-03-01 20:18 ]

T

Thanks WooHooWahine! Maybe we'll run into you there. I'll introduce myself, do you have any photos posted, so I'll know who to look for?

[ Edited by: Tikiwmn 2006-03-03 13:45 ]

On 2006-03-03 13:40, Tikiwmn wrote:
Thanks WooHooWahine! Maybe we'll run into you there. I'll introduce myself, do you have any photos posted, so I'll know who to look for?

Just listen for the WOOOOOHOOOOO! :wink: Looking forward to meeting you.

We're booked. See yas all at da kine!

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey 2006-03-03 20:02 ]

Well, they certainly are aware of us at the Bali Hai.
I called and said I wanted to make a reservation for a couple months from now, and the woman said, "Let me guess, May 5th?"

If others plan on making reservations, it sounds like it would be prudent to get on it ASAP.

--SBiM

TF

We have our rezzies for 5:30 at Bali Hai, so I am not sure if we will be un fashionably early to the show, but I am also wondering about transportation to Shelter Island fron Hanalei. Any suggestions of info appreciated.

Sure hope to see lotsa TC people at the Bali Hai for din!!!

T.F.

On 2006-03-07 10:11, Tiki Fink wrote:

...I am also wondering about transportation to Shelter Island fron Hanalei....

... cloud nine shuttles, hanalei shuttles, etc...

... hanalei is fairly close to shelter island and one should not dismiss the idea of cycling (rent if visiting) to and from... or walking... may take a few minutes but there is quite a bit to see if you go the back streets... plus the general exercise value cannot be denied...

H

On 2006-03-07 11:59, alohabros wrote:

On 2006-03-07 10:11, Tiki Fink wrote:

...I am also wondering about transportation to Shelter Island fron Hanalei....

... cloud nine shuttles, hanalei shuttles, etc...

... hanalei is fairly close to shelter island and one should not dismiss the idea of cycling (rent if visiting) to and from... or walking... may take a few minutes but there is quite a bit to see if you go the back streets... plus the general exercise value cannot be denied...

It is about 5 miles from the Hanalei to the Bali Hai on Shelter Island.

Didn't Otto mention something about a double decker bus? Is that one of the Cloud Nine shuttles?

A

On 2006-03-07 14:39, Hakalugi wrote:

...mention something about a double decker bus? Is that one of the Cloud Nine shuttles...

... it may make sense to call cloud nine to get flat rate(s) for event guests... cloud nine accomodates groups all the time and at great rates...

So I am confused.. I am in San Diego and I want to go to the Tiki Bazaar.. where is it at??

Thanks!!

H

On 2006-03-07 19:29, LoveAtFirstTiki wrote:
So I am confused.. I am in San Diego and I want to go to the Tiki Bazaar.. where is it at??

Thanks!!

At the Hanalei Hotel.

Booked and ready to go!! Two months and counting!!! YEEEEEHAAAWWW!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

There are 18 tables that are FULL at The Islands restaurant for Saturday. If you want to eat there I suggest booking soon.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

Well, its official! I'll be vending at Oasis VI! (My first time in San Diego too!) My booth will be in the pavillion (in the shade, near the bar--prime real estate), so everyone should come hang out at my table and drink Mai Tais.

BTW, if any wannabe vendors out there haven't booked and want to share my space in the pavillion I MAY be open to that. Email me at [email protected] if you're interested.

Kay, that's it for now folks... I'm off to my workshop to start putting together some new surprises to be on sale at Oasis! :)

hi all, as otto put on his newsletter, i will be posting live event pics of Tiki Oasis VI on my web log. that way all tikiphiles can see what is going on at the Oasis, not just those of us who can escape to San Diego for the weekend. my question is: what pics are most important, for those of you who can't be there, to see as the event is happening? the shows? the vendors? the crawl? everything? we intend to put up numerous pics to give the overall feel of the event, but any help of what others actually want to see would help us narrow in on what to post on our blog as the event happens. (all the other photos, as my wife has a handicap which prevents her from not pushing the shutter button, will go up on my site at a later date, as we get a chance)
by the way, my username should give it away, but the site at which you can view the pics is http://www.tikiblog.com

...got my room booked for Friday & Saturday night!

If anyone wants to share the room to cut costs, let me know... room has 2 queen beds. Ya just gotta be willing to put up with hosting the room crawl on Saturday afternoon!

Sad to report......Mothra won't make it to the Oasis this year. It was a toss up between Maui and Oasis, Maui and Oasis, Maui and Oasis. Maui won by a hair. Rocknrollgirl and I are sure gonna miss the festivities, not to mention the new venue. As always, it promises to be a blast.

B

People have been asking if Tiki Oasis is a kid friendly event so I thought I would post this here so you guys can pass this onto friends with kids.

The daytime portions of Tiki Oasis will be VERY kid friendly - there is much to do like hanging out by the pool, shopping at the bazaar, going on King Kukulele's tiki tour. (not to mention San Diego has some of the best kids destinations - the zoo, sea world, animal park, the beach, etc)

The evening portion of Tiki Oasis is free to kids under 17 (if with adult) BUT it is not really catered for kids so therefore the entertainment will be PG-17 or maybe even rated R! I plan to have my 4 year old and 6 month there most for the early part of the evening until they get pooped out. Music will be loud at times and YES there will be burlesque dancers (the complete schedule will be on the website and handed out in a program at the event so you can know when to cover little Johnny's eyes if you want to.) As always it is the job of us parents to make sure our kids are not outta control and respect other people at all times (of course I just jinxed myself by saying that and now Vander will be the one throwing rotten tomatoes at King Kukulele. HA!).

XOXO Baby Doe

My young kids have attended several times and have always enjoyed themselves.

The issue with poor behavior usually comes down to adults who have had too much to drink and dont know how to control themselves.

I applaud Otto and Baby Doe for finding that middle ground that everyone can enjoy.

On 2006-02-26 07:57, Monkeyman wrote:
Otto,

Does the Hanalei have an official stance on serving alcohol from ones room? (or setting up a bar in ones room).

Will we encounter any resistance to drink contests and the like? I know that it was always against hotel policy at the CT but I also know that former management was accepting of the festivities.

I just want to avoid any unfortunate surprises with hotel security (assuming that they do have security).

Has this been answered?

TBird.

On 2006-03-14 10:26, babydoe wrote:
. . . know when to cover little Johnny's eyes. . .

Well, only if you think I shouldn't be looking.

Has anybody had trouble printing out their tickets from the E-mail confirmation? I've followed the instructions to the letter, but all I get is passes for Sat 6th. Computer error...or operator malfunction? Beats the shit outta me.

Does any one wanna share a Booth I,ll have one Table of stuff and thats it .im just gonna be there fri - sat need to get back , for sunday im meeting with an artist- gallerys about my stuff on that day . My wifes having Surgery and she,ll be out of work for a bit so were kinda conserving our income ect . Regards Tyger

B

Regarding what people can do in their rooms - people can do anything you are normally allowed to do in a hotel room.

Please see the thread by Shell in the Pacific regarding the 2nd Annual Room Crawl.
This might answers some of those questions. Also there will be a prize this year for BEST decorated room. Again Shell in the Pacific will have that info as well!

XOXO Baby Doe

Just in case I wasn't the only one who was curious, want to share this info--parking at the Hanalei Hotel is $10 per day. For more info regarding hotel amenities and policies you can check here (the link is from the http://www.tikioasis.com booking page).

Ahoy, gang! I've just made it official and registered here, after many, many moons as an anoymous reader and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of this year's Tiki Oasis.

I live in San Diego, so I won't be staying at the Hanalei (I'm a whopping 3 miles away) but am very much looking forward to coming to shop at the marketplace and experience the wonder of seeing so many Tiki people in one place!

Regarding reservations for Bali Hai, it obviously depends on what time you want to be able to walk into the private party, but making your reservations for earlier might be preferable for some folks. Since it looks like the party will be going for several hours, it may not be as important to be going in right at 6:30 - but if you that is important to you, I'd suggest making a dinner reservation for maybe 5:15 or at least 5:30. If you're just planning on having appetizers you could be finished quicker, but dinner at Bali Hai is a leisurely affair (it's also a delicious affair that I highly recommend). If you're just sitting down at your table at 6, you won't be finished at 6:30. Watch out for those Mai Tais!

The Islands room at the Hanalei is also pretty small, so do make sure you set a reservation for there as well. Normally reservations aren't even needed there, but I imagine the Oasis crowd could fill it a couple times over.

Cheers!

Got my tix finally, didn't want to wait too long,
so what's the count down till event day?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

Is there a cost for the double decker bus ride to and from the event?

Thanks,

Tikitatt

TF

I would love to get more details on the bus to Shelter Island also.

Departure time, cost, etc...

Any info would be much appreciated!

Mahalo

T.F.

On 2006-03-28 09:21, Tiki Fink wrote:

...I would love to get more details on the bus to Shelter Island also...

http://www.double-decker-buses.com/

Thanks for the link, but there is no info on when the bus leaves Hanalei on Fri. P.M. or how much it costs to ride etc..
We have rezzies at Bali Hai @ 5:30 that night as I am sure many others do. Will we have an opportunity to buss it there or do we catch a cab. Bus sounds like much more fun.

On 2006-03-28 09:21, Tiki Fink wrote:
I would love to get more details on the bus to Shelter Island also.

Departure time, cost, etc...

Any info would be much appreciated!

Mahalo

T.F.

B

If people have specific questions or concerns about the event that can not be answered on our website: http://www.tikioasis.com PLEASE call or e-mail us directly and NOT the hotel! Since this the first time we are using this hotel we want to keep a wonderful relationship with them and not have them dealing with lots of questions about the event that they probably can not answer.

Otto and I don't check TC as often as we like BUT you can e-mail us at:

[email protected]
[email protected]

Just make sure the subject says TIKI OAISIS as we get lots of e-mail daily. We will try our best to answer all questions or concerns quickly. If you are wondering it... I am sure someone else is too!

We are updating our website in the next couple days and hopefully all the info people need will be on there!
XOXO Baby Doe

B

This info is posted on the Tiki Oasis website but I thought people would want to know all the acts now that they are finalized. ALSO remember to wear a savage outfit on Saturday and join in the on the best dressed contest!

Tiki News presents...
Tiki Oasis 6
Thursday - Sunday, May 4 - 7, 2006

Polynesian cocktails by the pool, a Tiki marketplace, Tiki tours and live entertainment. This magical weekender will feature entertainment by: Ape (San Francisco); King Kukulele (Hollywood); The Martini Kings (L.A.); The Maikai Gents (Napa); The Sand Devils (San Diego); Burlesque by Vivienne VaVoom (Denver), Ginger Goldmine (L.A.) & Mimi Le Meaux (San Diego); and live DJ sets from Phast Phreddie the Boogaloo Omnibus (Brooklyn); DJ Lee (L.A.); Patrick Robinson (Denver); & DJ Jack Hughes (L.A.); Special guest appearance by cast members of Shag with a Twist performing live; and we are proud to present the star of our show, James Dimmare from Las Vegas!!! Best dressed SAVAGE contest on Saturday, tiki tours of the Hanalei geared towards kids and adults (starting at 11:30am on Saturday), and over 40 vendors in the Tiki Marketplace! This is one weekend you will not want to miss! We have added a special guest to the entertainment roster - a performance by the characters from Shag With a Twist. And Shag will be there to see it!

Book your hotel room NOW! We only have 20 rooms left! go to http://www.tikioasis.com and click on hotel room reservations. You can also purchase tickets just for the Friday and Saturday night shows.

For more information and tickets go to: http://www.tikioasis.com

B

Volunteer for Tiki Oasis and get in for FREE!

The wonderful thing about Tiki Oasis is that it is volunteer run. Without your help the event would not be a success. Be part of the community and be part of Tiki Oasis!

If you are interested in being a volunteer please e-mail our volunteer coordinator directly at: Mateo

Below are the shifts we are now booking. This year things are a little different so sign up for what makes sense for you and for your vacation to San Diego!

• Do TWO shifts and you get in for BOTH Friday and Saturday night.
  • Do ONE shift and you only get in for the night you volunteer.

If you have a particular talent or expertise that you think will benefit Tiki Oasis please let us know.

Please let Mateo know your first chice and second choice - we will try our best to give you the shifts you seek!

Thanks!
XOXO Baby Doe

Friday Shifts:
5:30 - 8pm - 4 people for door and general help
7:45 - 10:30 - 3 people for door and general help
10:15 - 1:00 am - 2 people for door and general help
8pm -11pm - 1 person s a Security Floater to walk around and make sure everyon has wristbands. You would inform security of problems.

Saturday Shifts:
9:00 am - 11am - 2 people to help with vendors set-up and general help (must be able to lift items)
5:15 - 8pm - 4 people for door and general help
7:45 - 10:30 - 3 people for door and general help
10:15 - 1:00 am - 2 people for door and general help
7pm -10pm - 1 person s a Security Floater to walk around and make sure everyon has wristbands. You would inform security of problems.

Sunday Shifts:
9:00 am - 11am - 2 people to help with vendors set-up and general help (must be able to lift items)
2:30 - 4:30 pm - Wrap it Up Crew - need 2 peple.

Tiki News Booth: (only 1-2 persons needed per shift)
Saturday
10am - 12:45 - includes setting up booth
12:430 pm - 3:00 pm
2:45 - 5pm
6:00 - 8:15 pm -
8:00- 10:30 - includes closing down booth

Sunday
10am - 12:45 - includes setting up booth
12:30 pm - 3:00 pm - includes closing down booth

T

I cant wait to vend my 4th year at Tiki Oasis. It really kicks off the tiki season . Especially since I just did a tour of Hawaii 2 weeks ago for tiki research . I hope to see you all there again . This is great timing because Im being featured in Tiki Magazine this April as well. Things are happening .
Mahalo, Tiki-Ray

T

Do to___________________________ we are unable to make it to Oasis.
But now we have two tickets to each nights events.
If you still have not purchased your tickets, please buy mine.
Just E-mail me here
Thank you

When this stops being fun
It's our fault
Have no brakes Cannot stop
Happydog (What can I do?)

[ Edited by: thebaxdog 2006-04-08 09:00 ]

Volcano Pants and myself might be making it down to the Oasis this year. He's got to clear it with his work to get the days off first since he works weekends. Hopefully I'll know before this thing is sold out!

On 2006-04-09 20:03, Hanalei_Pirate wrote:
Volcano Pants and myself might be making it down to the Oasis this year. He's got to clear it with his work to get the days off first since he works weekends. Hopefully I'll know before this thing is sold out!

Looks like I will be sitting this Oasis out, I canceled my rooms and tickets today so I know there is 1 available room left. Have fun everyone!

Damn!

Looks like it's sold out for Saturday. Was planning on coming down but I guess I waited to long. Doh!

+++++++++++++++

computer error. see below

[ Edited by: RevBambooBen 2006-04-12 08:59 ]

On 2006-04-10 13:21, RevBambooBen wrote:
Damn!

Looks like it's sold out for Saturday. Was planning on coming down but I guess I waited to long. Doh!

I am assuming that you tried to just buy a day ticket?

Probably all the extra tickets that were allotted for "day passes" have been purchased. I was able to book us for Friday and Saturday night hotel stay plus the event passes for both nights, just now (4:15pm).

Hey all...I actually sat down and read everything on the web site for Tiki Oasis. I too was wondering about the bus rides.... found this info:

"Weretours is running two trip on a double decker bus between Bali hai and Hanalei for bus reservations go to: Wheretours.com "

I e mailed them and will call them during business hours to see if there are any spots left. If not, I am thinking about getting another double decker bus reserved through them or Double-Decker-Buses.com IF there are many more needing rides. If not, the Mr and I will split a cab w/ a couple. Cuz there are no designated drivers in our family that weekend!! Heck, we'll make one of those rickshaw bicycle dudes take us there and back, if we gotta!

So how many people are doin the Breakfast at the Hanalei on Sun Morning?

Is it advised to make reservations for that too?

Is there a non Champange brunch (not fond of Champange) that is Cheaper?

What time does the Brunch Start?
I'm thinking about maybe jamming up to Huntington Beach for 5 bands playing at the Pier at 11 am. But still not sure about that aspect.

How is the Breakfast there? Comparable to Dukes Resturaunt?
I had a $20 all you can eat Brunch there that was amazing!!

Thanks in advance for any responses and info.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2006-04-11 16:29, bigtikidude wrote:
So how many people are doin the Breakfast at the Hanalei on Sun Morning?

Is it advised to make reservations for that too?

Is there a non Champange brunch (not fond of Champange) that is Cheaper?

What time does the Brunch Start?
I'm thinking about maybe jamming up to Huntington Beach for 5 bands playing at the Pier at 11 am. But still not sure about that aspect.

How is the Breakfast there? Comparable to Dukes Resturaunt?
I had a $20 all you can eat Brunch there that was amazing!!

Thanks in advance for any responses and info.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Jeff......It's champagne, but you don't have to drink it! I'll drink yours!!! AND the chocolate fountain makes up for it!!!! Bring your appetite!!!!!

And yes, with the big group that's going to be there you should make reservations...You can always cancel if plans change.....Right WooHoo????

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2006-04-11 17:19 ]

A ha!!!! ( damn computer errors!! Arrrr!!!)

email from Otto-

++++++++++++++++++

daytime stuff is free! c'mon down.
Don't expect to be able to eat in the Islands restaurant though cause
its booked until later on at night, maybe 7 pm

"the website booking engine was down over the weekend but is up now if
you want to get tix for Friday night or Sat?"

++++++++++++++

Otto von Stroheim

tikioasis.com

the Boo's will be roaming around on Sat./ Sat. eve.

Got to get our APE fix!!

Bring Bananas for Crazy Al !!! and the rest of the Apes!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 164 replies