Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Kahiki Mosaic & other new works... (page 8)

Pages: 1 2 3 126 replies

Wow, that turned out great guys!
How big is that sweet baby?
I'm too lazy to go to your site and see for myself.

Thanks Doug! She measures 20 x 32 inches with her frame and sweetness included.

Here's the link for a bigger pic http://www.velvetglass.com/tikipages/Mosaics2/missexotica.html

M & M

Very nice work, love the new additions.

Thanks Sneakytiki!

C

Nice! This seems like a lot of work!

Cheeky 1/2 yooou're SICK! I swear those tikis are staring right at me? Oooooh WoW, guess I'll just go take a cold shower...Hot! Hot! Hot!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp... :D

Yo, TJ.....Your wifey will probably know if there is an excessive amount of shampoo/conditioner missing.....
Yeah, U know whats up. :P fBalls

Thanks Clarita! Yes they are a lot of work but we love making them.

Now boys, we are very flattered by your "interest." Just remember that when you see one of our lovely ladies in person her "bits" are constructed from sharp shards of glass so we would have to recommend that you admire her from just far enough away so that you don't endanger any of your "bits." The prints are quite safe however. For you Jonesey, we'll even throw in a bottle of FREE conditioner! wink wink nudge nudge

fBalls,DANG! M&M saiz, "bits are hard as glass"... hhhhmmmm OKAY then, back to the showers! (rinse & repeat, rinse & repeat, rinse & repeat)

Flip-flOp-fLipPp... :D

T

That one fine piece of glASS :D

Inspired by old Soviet Propaganda posters and a fondness for things tiki, we thought we'd combine the two in a mosaic.

You can see it bigger here http://www.velvetglass.com/tikipages/Mosaics2/rapanui.html

Hope you like it....

cheeky half (s)

http://www.velvetglass.com

[ Edited by: cheeky half 2007-05-18 10:29 ]

C

WOW!!! Very Nice combo-inspired artwork there, cheekyhalf!!!!!!

F

I like tiki art, I like soviet Propaganda art. Very coool together

RED HOT CHEEKOV!
"Za vashe zdorovye, Mir i druzhba!"
:D (to Health, Peace and Friendship!) :D

Flip-flOp-fLipPpsKi...

Thanks for the feedback y'all. We're working away on another mosaic, but it doesn't have anything remotely tiki in it so I'm not sure if I can post it here. Definitely Un-Tiki....

ch

We've been busy cutting glass and mugs in preparation for Tiki Oasis. Here are some of our new mosaics that we'll be bringing along...

These all feature tiki mugs (that were chipped or damaged) which we carefully cut in half and customized with a classy glassy mosaic background. Some even light up.

We have just jumped into the deep deep ocean of myspace so if anyone wants to be "friends" we are here http://www.myspace.com/velvetglassmosaics

Although not tiki we wanted to share one of our newer, larger pieces as well. Here is................ Godzilla!

Cheers!
Mr & Mrs cheeky half

great new stuff m&m! godzilla is amazing. i don't suppose you'll be bringing it to oasis for me to gawk at. i'm looking forward to meeting the artists who made my fireside kahona mosaic lightbox. see ya there!

Thanks KTD. Yeah, we should be bringing Godzilla along for the ride. Look forward to meeting you too.

m&m

S

that is so radical! im gonna get me somethin at the oasis as well! these are so cool, i will also have a booth there (the finkniks), so i will see you there! great stuff once again! a true dying art!

C

wow! really great!! your work is getting better and better every second,congrats!!

K
kctiki posted on Wed, Aug 1, 2007 2:13 PM

Very nice. Fu Manchu's background sets him off perfectly.

yeah, godzilla in da hoooouuuusssssse!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Aug 1, 2007 8:19 PM

I love the tiki mug halves pieces, they look awesome

Thanks for all the support folks, we really appreciate it. The half mugs are fun to make. Once we get over the initial shock of actually cutting a mug in half. But none have suffered too much as all were already flawed or abandoned. Now if we could get our cutting tools around a Frankoma War God........

m&m

[ Edited by: cheeky half 2007-08-02 16:25 ]

Great stuff! Always great designs and craftsmanship but you took it to a new level with these pieces! Awesome!

C

GODZILLA!!! That is way way cool. I really like the shattered fire blast and fragmented and busted up looking concrete. The texture on the big green guy is over the top. That is an some amazing pieces of stained glass! Thanks for postin' that and all the others. Much success to you two at Oasis.

Chongolio

I agree with Chongolio, the Zilla piece is awesome. The way you created texture and movement is superb.

We really appreciate hearing that you guys appreciate our efforts to take our mosaics to the next level. We keep pushing ourselves to think about and use the glass in different ways.

I have to say that Godzilla is our favorite "child" right now but sshh don't tell the other "children."

Cheers!
cheeky half

Great Job Cheekyhalf!
The 1/2 mug mosaics are kickin and GODZIRRA is beautiful! You took an ambitious/challenging concept and nailed it!!!!
I love the lady shouting "GODZIRRA!" in the foreground,and am right there with Chongo in admiring the shattered concrete and the blast! Who knew mosaics could have so much movement and action? Rockin!

Thanks llt! Godzirra - That's too funny we might have to change the name. See you at Oasis!

I

Love the Godzilla piece, wow!! Glad you posted it, even if it's not tiki--well, it's Pacific Islander in spirit and geography, right? :)

Got you on MySpace. Thanks for putting that link, too.

Take care,

I.

SF

Will Godzilla be making an appearance at Tiki Oasis?
You kids are the masters of glass.

Hey Swampy. Yes indeed, we plan on bringing Mr. Godzilla to Oasis. He's bloody heavy though.
Ivan, I like the Pacific Island connection. I knew we could kinda include him somehow. Thanks fer the MySpace add thingy, too.

m+m

We've been working on some new pieces, combining both new and vintage tiki mugs into our mosaics.
We're still looking for an original War God mug to cut up, if anyone has a spare????

Otto's Shrunken Head + Velvet Glass =

Doug Horne + Velvet Glass=

Fu Manchu + Velvet Glass=

Screwed Up Squid + Velvet Glass=

Make Da Mug + Velvet Glass=

This one is mirrored...

There are other pictures of these on our web site if you're interested.
Hope you like...

m&m

[ Edited by: cheeky half 2007-11-13 11:32 ]

[ Edited by: cheeky half 2007-11-13 11:35 ]

[ Edited by: cheeky half 2007-11-13 11:38 ]

M&M,

Stop thinking about some sort of strict ordering of dimensions. Consider the three spatial dimensions we are normally familiar with. Where YOU are right now, you can divide them into "forward-backward","left-right", and "up-down". Now turn 45 degrees, or tilt your head. Those directions are no longer special. When we talk about three dimensions, we mean that there are three ways to move, but there is no "first dimension".

To understand a small, curled up dimension, it will take an analogy. Take a piece of paper and roll it into a tube with a small diameter. For the sake of analogy, pretend that the tube is infinitely long. What you have now is a two-dimensional surface, with one large (infinite) dimension, and one small dimension that is curled up. Anything confined to the surface of the tube will move freely along the long dimension, but will not be able to go far along the short, curled-up dimension.

The three spatial dimensions that we use may be infinite, but they're certainly very big. Any extra dimensions must be small (or else we would observe a number of strange effects, such as a dramatic strengthening of gravity at small distances. This "smallness" is measured the same way we measure any size --in length. Extra dimensions must have a small diameter. I forget what experimental bounds have been placed on the maximum diameter, let's just say that they're smaller than a bread-box.

Time extends all the way back to big bang (over 13 billion years ago) and from what we can tell, will have no end in the future. Believe it or not, the relationship between time and space is pretty well-understood by physicists. Minkowski first figured it out, and Einstein helped complete the picture. It is possible (and meaningful) to measure time in meters. Anyway, time is a "large" dimension.

Mosaic prowess clearly substantiates art. :cry:

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 13, 2007 2:38 PM

GROG's fingers are bleeding just thinking about all the work you guys put into these.

Neato stuff. GROG like.

B

On 2007-11-13 14:30, TravelingJones wrote:

Believe it or not, the relationship between time and space is pretty well-understood by physicists.

and Buzzy of course...

"Time was invented so that we can change our minds - Space was invented so that we can dance."

Your mosaic work is just awesome!!

Schooled by the finest.....Capt. K and Master G

[ Edited by: Babalu 2007-11-13 14:47 ]

[ Edited by: Babalu 2007-11-13 14:50 ]

Grog and Buzzy.....
Thanks guys.

Jonesey.....
errr......ok.

We love you all. Always for ever and ever. In all the dimensions.

m&m

These are very, very cool!
I love the Bride of Frankenstein piece. The incorporation of the mug is perfect.
The one below it with the go-go girl is just sublime. Color and design in perfect harmony.
My other favorite is the one with the skull on the spear. The movement of the background shapes
plays really well behind the still mug.
You've taken mosaics to a whole new level. :)

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 14, 2007 2:39 PM

On 2007-11-14 12:04, artosaurus wrote:
You've taken mosaics to a whole new level. :)

WOW!! THESE ARE MOSAICS??

GROG thought they were just broken glass skillfully arranged to make art.

Now GROG REALLY impressed!!

artosaurus....thanks for appreciating our work. Makes all the bloodied fingertips seem worthwhile.

GROG.... It's the 'skillful' bit that's the real trick ;-)

Great idea doing the mugs with the glass.
I really like the Bride of Frankenstein.
Keep up the great work!

Well we've been busy cuttin' away down here in the desert and wanted to share our latest creations with you all.

It appears that the voodoo theme has begun creeping into our work so you know zombies and monsters can't be far behind.....

'I Put A Spell On You' & 'Vic's Shield'

'Accidents Happen' & 'Tiki Girl'

'Death n' Venom' & 'Yojimbo vs. Fu Manchu'

As always, bigger versions are on our web site so if you're interested take a peek.

Mr. & Mrs. CH

SF

The new stuff looks great kids! You guys have been busy.

Love that Fu Manchu piece. Blood and glass always make for good art in my book.

A Wonderful nod to Screamin Jay Hawkins there!
Great work kids! :)

Thanks Big D! We figured there's nothing like blood and swords to heighten the tiki cocktail experience.

LLT - Thanks and we can't wait to get our hands on one of your fine mugs! Hope you won't mind, you know we cut with love.

:o SsweeetT Shardz of Screamin' Jay Hawkins! :o M&M bustin' da panes taboo to fill our eyes wit vizual voodoo!!! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orNpH6iyokI

Whatz next, Armpit #6? Constipation Blues? Feast of the Mau Mau? :wink:

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Mar 15, 2008 3:22 AM

Always amazing...it's hard for me to pick a favourite each time you post new work. Dynamic, humorous and eclectic.
Do you just look at a particular mug, and try and work a concept from it?
I'd love to see some of your gear or process shots too....if it's not too top-secret!

Pages: 1 2 3 126 replies