Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

I just bought...(Tiny Tiki Pencil Toppers Page 3!!!)

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

A sweet coconut mug and an ordinary bamboo-handles ceramic mug from Target and 2 Bamboo place mats from Pier 1 Imports! I'm thinking of painting on one of the place mats and using it sort of like a wall-scroll. We shall see. Here is the pic of all of them.

the tiki says aloha

[ Edited by: PockyTiki 2006-03-14 17:22 ]

[ Edited by: PockyTiki 2006-03-15 18:12 ]

[ Edited by: PockyTiki 2006-03-16 19:28 ]

T

That coconut mug looks like it would make a nice top, For say a cocktail shaker.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=13257&forum=12&hilite=target

Pocky - Humu asked us to be nice, so I'm telling you nicely, take a 15 minute break form posting, and familiarize yourself with the search function. As a matter of fact, search "search function" and see how many posts mention to new members, that they should use the search function before they post.

Didn't there used to be a little message that popped up to members with less than a certain number of posts explaining the search function? Never mind, he exceeded that number on his 4th day.

Take an entire DAY off posting and just browse for a bit to get the lay of the land. We all love enthusiastic youngsters, really we do. But you gotta slow down, see how things are done or people will be ripping you to shreds in a few days, and then you'll get discouraged and never come back.

PS - there is a Beyond Tiki and Bilge Section for discussing music that isn't tiki, and if you spend some time looking through the Tiki Music section, you will understand what that really means, and realize that CAKE isn't tiki, no matter how you slice it.

PSS - there are 16 threads discussing tiki at Target.

"You're the mayor of shark city, people think you want the beaches open."

[ Edited by: mrs. pineapple 2006-03-10 15:40 ]

Alright i know there is a target thread. This is discussing my FINDS there. Not Tiki at Target in general...but whatever.

L

this is pokytiki's blog. we're just visiting.

OK, fine. I tried to be nice. When the big kids jump all over you, don't say you weren't warned. You obviously aren't interested in staying for the long haul. Can someone PM me when this guy disappears?
thanks -
xoxox
mrs. pineapple

You are right Humu.

Post removed for respect of the recipient.

Sent via PM instead.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2006-03-10 16:20 ]

H

Okay, one more time...

I said this already in another thread today, but I'll say it again as some folks probably haven't seen it. If you have constructive criticism for our enthusiastic new friend, please take it to PM. Doing it here just turns it into a trainwreck spectacle, and puts him on the defensive. People tend to be much more receptive to feedback when it's given privately.

On 2006-03-10 16:18, Humuhumu wrote:
If you have constructive criticism for our enthusiastic new friend, please take it to PM.

Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of a "forum"?

On 2006-03-10 16:21, purple jade wrote:
Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of a "forum"?

Derailing topics and chasing away new users defeats the purpose of a forum, too. We all know that you're more likely to get results when you're nice to someone than if you're rude.

I was nice. What if the new guy is sort of being rude and oblivious and obviously just posting to hear himself post?

I'll go away, check my blog for what I bought at Target this week.... veeeery exciting stuff!
love,
mrs. pineapple

M

*Derailing topics and chasing away new users defeats the purpose of a forum, too. We all know that you're more likely to get results when you're nice to someone than if you're rude.

Oh yeah!? Well, who are you? I mean, lighten up, Francis. I may just have to report you to the moderators for this type of heavy-handedness. I've noticed a trend in your posts, always telling people what to do and stuff. I'm standing up to your intimidation, putting a line in the sand once and for all.

Oh whoops, Hanford Lemoore...I got that confused with someone else...named Francis. Oh crud, I'm gonna get a visit now from the Monolux mafia (not my word, NOT my word!) ain't I? This one's gonna hurt, I'm guessing.

saying uncle midnite

ps Did I ever tell ya how cute I thought you were HL?

P

¿también midnite de muchos tias del mai?

M

On 2006-03-10 19:13, pdrake wrote:
¿también midnite de muchos tias del mai?

Jesus Cristo! Why is everyone posting to me in Spanish? I'm a cracker from Cocoa Beach, Florida. All the Spanish I know is "Be careful, the plate is very hot." Let's all get along, in the same tongue, que pasa?

Mai Tais?...I prefer Navy Grogs.

¡La central de Tiki está para los amantes, no los que odien!

El Midnite-o

alright guys, i heard from a lot of you about my excessive posting and truthfully Mrs. Pineapple almost made me pee my big baggy brown pants. So before i get chewed out by her i'm gonna refrain from posting for a bit. Tata and aloha.

...I've found that by posting my opinion on any particular thread, that thread ........seems to die immediatly....I may even change my user name to "thread killer". ......Part of what I like about forums is that a variety of perpectives can be heard from. Unfortunately, sometimes when people don't like what they hear, they just tune out rather than set up to the plate and risk rockin the boat...or maybe they just don't care. whatever the case, I feel I'm quickly becoming the "simon Cowell" of american "tiki" idol around here.....

by the way....this thread is probably finished now that I spoke on it....

I'll try and keep it alive just for you then. =)

T

I always thought, I was the kiss of death to threads.

On 2006-03-11 07:10, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
by the way....this thread is probably finished now that I spoke on it....

Sorry Tips, not until I post a picture.

N

Sorry unga im the thread killer. -(

H
hewey posted on Sat, Mar 11, 2006 3:46 PM

With all these thread killers, this baby's dead!

And sheesh, give the bloke a break. He knows the rules and beleived he was posting correctly. Maybe when people like him don't stick around long is becasue they get hassled for not following the rules, when they beleive they are. Hell, I think he is.

Alright here's the shirts i accidently posted in the "mistake thread":

I beg to differ, I'm the thread killer.

Not bad finds for your local Kohls and Mervyns Pocky.

See if you can find older shirts at your local thrift and antique stores. If not its always a good idea to keep your eyes peeled on ebay.

check out some of these vintage shirts (These are not from my personal collection).

wow...those things are bright. and i mean BRIGHT

Cool shirts. Anyone have any of the Hawaiian Lion long sleeve shirts?

H

Thank you Monkeyman for the pictures I love the second one from the top, the one with all the fez.

awesome vintage shirts! I wore a reeeally bright vintage one to work today.

Good shirt tutoring there, MM, and thanks for the eye candy!

My point Pocky is that if you ever are fortunate enough to attend a first rate tiki event you might find these shirts to be MUCH more common among TCers than you might guess.

Yes they are bright but TC is not about tasteful or muted colors. Its about overt expression and celebration of eras gone by.

Dont spend too much of your money at the local walmart or montgomery ward.

Search for those treasures and celebrate when you find them :)

PS- If you really dont like the samples I provided, then buy them anyway and send them to me. The are valuable and rare.

i think i'd keep them anyways considering you just said something along the lines of valuable...sweeeet. lol

On 2006-03-14 17:52, Monkeyman wrote:
check out some of these vintage shirts (These are not from my personal collection).

I dunno, some of those shirts look mighty familiar... :wink:

Pocky, those shirts his Monkeyness posted are vintage, 30 - 40 or even 50+ years old, and are often made from materials and in patterns that you can't find anymore. This doesn't mean they're better than what you found, just that you won't find new shirts like them. If you're interested in finding vintage shirts you need to haunt all the Thrift Stores, Church Rummage Sales and Estate Sales in your area, and don't expect to find much at the Thrift Stores. Vintage shirts are valuable & popular and Thrift Stores are usually scoured free of them by store employees for sale to Vintage Clothing Stores & collectors. When someone like Rob Schneider is willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a rare shirt, and clothing exporters can make a fortune shipping bales of vintage clothing to Japan, it becomes very difficult to find older Hawaiian shirts for a Buck or two at Sal Army.

I went to our salvation army last weekend while staking out mug sales. They didn't have anything tropical/south seas. I didn't bother looking in the clothing area. I may have to do that this weekend.

MT

PockyTiki,
Here is a thread on vintage Hawaiian shirts that you should find informative:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1903&forum=1

especially this post by our own beloved Chongolio:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1903&forum=1&vpost=20321

MonkeyMan,
Them's some damn fine shirts!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 15, 2006 5:49 PM

I found thrift stores are good for these shirts - cheap too!

I was looking for a "hippy" clothes once for a uni role play presentation and ended up buying Hawaiian shirts instead!

Alright so if you all don't know, TikiSkip and I commenced a trade. He gave me 2 shot glasses, a tiki mug, swizzles, 2 little umbrellas, a post card, a burnt CD of tiki music and a coaster. The stuff is so awesome. Thanks TikiSkip!

And NO he did not give me that lava lamp, lol. That's mine.

M
Moki posted on Wed, Mar 15, 2006 6:18 PM

Wow!! Nice trade!! That Trader Vic's half shot is a great score.

T

That is a nice trade. Its a tiki starter kit I only got a little amount of postcards, swizzle sticks, and umbrellas, by chance over more than a year. I don't have any of that stuff but for the PMP mug that was one of the last mugs I bought. That green shot glass looks just like a shot- Shotgun shell.

lol that's what it is, man. I laughed my butt off when i saw it.

Pocky, I noticed that you are one of the younger members of TC. If I may ask, how did you get into Tiki and when? Did you stumble upon TC while doing an online search? Was there any particular impetus that moved you?

Personally, I got into it when I was planning a luau themed engagement party for friends of mine a couple years ago. After doing so much research into the appropriate music, drinks, food, etc., I came across so many tiki sites including TC. I had so much fun planning that party and enjoyed what I discovered online (which I never knew was there before) that I was hooked on tiki ever since then.

haha i love it when people ask me this. It gives me an actual chance to express my...well...passion for this stuff. Alright it was a couple weeks back, and we had just gotten back from WDW down in orlando. A couple days after that trip i was planning designs for a clay mask (which is in the drying process right now). I was originally into the "Noh" masks from Japan, and started to build one like a Noh Mask. However it turned out like utter crap that i literally broke the piece in half. So after that horrible anxiety attack on myself i looked into polynesian/tiki carvings....and then it hit me. What ARE these beautiful creations? Made by the human hand? Yes...simply...godly. I fell in love with them immediately. Thusly, i am here now. That's my tale.

Alright gentlemen, and fine women. I have my latest (and smallest) find(s). I was travelling out into leominster and i stopped into Newbury comics where i found these:
Yes, tiny tiki pencil toppers made by, yes you guessed it. Accoutrements (sp?). Actually my girlfriend located them and i thought they were cute little guys, so thusly I'm renting my house out to them.

Removed.

I shall never ever post to this thread again.

[ Edited by: Cool Manchu 2006-03-16 20:30 ]

But I will... Hey Pocky, have you read the posts by Bungy yet? Since you just got back from Walt Disney World, it reminded me of her stuff. If you want to be amazed, check this out. The Disney reference made me think of it. While her story refers to Disneyland in California, you'll appreciate the stories. Her family used to have one of the original souvenier stands in Disneyland. (among other AMAZING things) It's interesting because they realized that they could sell anything to anyone just by putting a Disneyland sticker on it.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=17694&forum=1&hilite=bungy

This kind of relates to some of the threads from other TC'ers encouraging you to be a bit more discerning in your tiki acquisitions. They want you to spend your money on the true, authentic tiki instead of the "tiki for the masses" stuff that they just slapped a tiki sticker or tiki motif on. Do whatever makes you happy Pocky. I like your determinism and enthusiam.

i just read a couple of Bungy's stories, and those are pretty awesome. They knew Donn the Beachcomber?!! That's so awesome. i'll have to keep an eye on that thread.

T

Hey Pocky,

Here is a rule of thumb that I follow when it comes to TC. Because TC is the largest and most up to date source (by the sec.) of all things tiki, usually if what you are showing from the market isn't breaking news that hasn't been posted that day, then its probably old news to tiki lovers.

But you never know what some people have seen and some haven't. Although, I have some of thoses pencil toppers from months ago, they have not been posted for all to see. What we do know is that what you make or think has yet to be seen before.

I'm surprised most of the time that there aren't post of the most current releases of different mugs. I guess if we posted all of Munktikis or Tikifarms or whomever mugs then, we would just be doing their work for them. I don't know.

Just keep posting, I read everything you post and like to see into other tiki people's lives.

well isn't that sort of the point? To have people view what you, the collector, have?

Pages: 1 2 62 replies