Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

I just bought...(Tiny Tiki Pencil Toppers Page 3!!!)

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

T

yes, yes it is.

additionally, i feel that the tc community favors quality over quantity when it comes what we share of our collections.

well haven't I heard that numerous times. Hinting at something are we? lol

Johnny you took the words right out of my mouth...

Look at my Tiki Toilet Brush and matching shower curtain rings :)

I suppose its a learning curve to learn what and when to post (I claim no perfection in this regard).

I was at party city last night for St. Pats day decor and they had TONS of Luau decorations. NONE of it would be worthwhile to post as a "find".

Honest we are trying to help.

[ Edited by: monkeyman 2006-03-17 09:28 ]

I moved this to the other "I just bought..." thread.

[ Edited by: Kaikaina 2006-03-17 10:19 ]

T

quality over quantity or just quality

I was thinking while I was out that a pencil topper to someone in school here is like a Witco living room set for a wealthier man in the west. Something like that.

Its the state of where your at- Physically and economically. But in creating, those playing fields are lessened. Make something better than you can find.

to me when my g/f found them, i was hysterical and laughing so hard. So i bought em, and they are now decoartion around my computer.

Here is a prize question:

Which of those pencil top Tikis were ripped of from the BOT, and from which pages?

I remember when I first found TC I was very excited to tell you all that you should watch Spongebob Squarepants because there was a ton of tiki in it. There were also several other posts by me that make me cringe when I think about them. Fortunately, everyone was very cool and I soon came to realize that there was a huge sub-culture that predated me by a good 30 to 40 years and that I should just sit back and observe for a while. Trying to carve helped me out a lot too. It seemed to make things more meaningful for me. Nowadays I drink Mai Tais in my own home bar and listen to music, both new and old, and smile ear to ear for hours on end with a very calm and satisfied (and slightly intoxicated) frame of mind.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to say here. I guess our friend Pocky will either turn into a discriminating tiki collector, or he will get bored and move on to something else. Either one is OK I suppose.

Please take no offense Pocky, that's not what I'm trying to do.

On 2006-03-21 15:12, bigbrotiki wrote:
Here is a prize question:

Which of those pencil top Tikis were ripped of from the BOT, and from which pages?

Awright, herre it is, kids, I know you are dieing to to find out:

The ORANGE one is from the black Aku Tiki Lounge mug on page 176...granted, this mug also exists from from other places, so, just like the PURPLE one, which is copied from an Islander/Lattitude 20 mug which is NOT in the book, it could be copied from someone's collection...
...BUT, looking at the BLUE one, it can only come from one place: Page 226, the black "wise guy" Tiki from the Playa Del Rey Polynesian Village Apartments....WHICH, in turn, makes it highly likely that the GREEN one is a stubby version of the famous Tropics Tongue Tiki from page 209 (note the palm root crew cut!)

Voila! I win...or wait, Accoutrements wins, darn!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 22, 2006 6:38 PM

I agree that the whole collecting tiki thing is relative.

I mean, I don't think that you're a true tiki head unless you have a COLLECTION of ORIGINAL Shag art hey? Otherwise you're just not shwoing enough commitment.

But, I did see these cool tiki pencil erasers. I bought a whole pallet of them with the money I could have spent on my next commisioned Shag original. I might make a tiki ball room with a pit full of erasers for kids to play in. Kinda like a tiki equivalent of Scrooge McDucks money bin.

And bigbro - the author of the BoT should be honoured that so many people take inspiration from the BoT and create their own tiki creations as a direct result. Even if there probably a billion copyright infringements as a result... :)

Note to Pocky - Bigbro WROTE the BoT, literally! He has further developed tiki fever in more people in recent tiki history than anyone else. He is the tiki god and we are mere native savages...

wears a loin cloth and dried grass accessories, and worships the god hehe. Sorry if i like...enrage people with my silly little finds. I just thought they were cute, and do in fact look good sitting around my computer monitor. shrugs It's the nieve tiki native inside of me.

On 2006-03-23 11:03, PockyTiki wrote:
wears a loin cloth and dried grass accessories, and worships the god hehe. Sorry if i like...enrage people with my silly little finds. I just thought they were cute, and do in fact look good sitting around my computer monitor. shrugs It's the nieve tiki native inside of me.

maybe a couple of mai tais could coax him out :lol:

T

Leominster. That's not far from Belchertown, right? And Athol...?

That part of the country is the twilight zone. I like it because it is permanently 1975 there. I've lived in Brattleboro and Greenfield, but eventually decided that New England's climate wasn't tiki.

No disprespect intended. Many good things happened during the Ford administration, and I miss long sideburns and wide neckties.

You should be flattered by all the negative responses. Most newbie-type faux pas are greeted with prolonged, deafening silence. I know whereof I speak.

Cool erasers, and the first time I've seen them.

I checked some online dictionaries; the plural of faux pas is apparently faux pas. I'm glad I checked, as failing to do so might have resulted in a faux pas.

D

there is a shopping cart full of pencil toppers on clearance at Archie McPhee's; only 59 cents!

Pages: 1 2 62 replies