Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

More pictures from the first Dutch Tikibar

Pages: 1 38 replies

I (together with a partner) bought a bar in the centre of Rotterdam last week which we will turn into the first Dutch Tikibar.
The name will be 'TIKI'S', we hired a great Malaysian cook (which is also a longtime friend) and bought a shitload of bamboo today.
I have been collecting (mostly Indonesian) Tiki's, masks and furniture for the last few years so the interior is almost complete already.
We have a lot of building up to do wich we mostly have to do ourselves (we're on quite a tight budget) but we hope to open up in the end of may.
The music we will be playing will be mostly Jazz/50's Rock&Roll/Ska/Exotica/Surf/(Northern) Soul/Afrorock/60's Funk/R&B/Mambo/Crooners/Boogaloo/Popcorn/Garage and some oldschool 70's Punkrock.
I will be posting some pictures soon and hope to get some help & advice from my fellow Tiki Centralites.
Mahalo from Rotterdam :wink:

[ Edited by: tiki rotterdam 2007-03-16 14:20 ]

More tiki bars for europe, hooray.

Good luck and have fun

V

great. Another visit to a european city to plan for the future...
good luck

T

It would be great if you could open by June 22nd.! That weekend is the Primitive! Weekender and I hope to be there!

http://www.primitive-festival.nl/

Congratulations! It's about time there was a Tiki bar in that fine city! I will be sure to drop by next time I'm there.

T

Hey man - post pics and give us the address... I've been to Rot-town a few times and I'll go there again!

Excuse my Dutch, but (phonetically spelled sort of):
Kay-eef Mein Feets Tarook Yi Kloutsack!
(Sorry about that)...

Somebody told me to yell that at the German tourists when I was in Amsterdam. I think it applies to Rot-town too!

(I think it means "Give me my bike back, you nut sack!" - and I know the joke.)

TG

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-03-15 21:43 ]

GREAT news! The resurgence of Tiki in Europe continues, and the Netherlands is due a Tiki bar. It always struck me as being a bit weird that there wasn't an old one tucked away in one of the port towns somewhere.

Be sure to let us know when it's ready and post a full array of pics.

Trader Woody

Some pictures of my tikibar in progress.

Bar (not finished yet)

Sidevieuw of the bar

Carved edge on the bar

Kitchen & Aquarium (both still empty)

Detail of wall in the ladiesroom

Loveseats at the back

A tired Tiki Rotterdam!

Mahalo to all my fellow Tikicentralites & when in Rotterdam, don´t be shy! (p.s. open in 3 weeks i hope)

[ Edited by: Tiki Rotterdam 2006-06-21 15:21 ]

Congrats Rotterdam!
A very nice bar, and in Holland!

D

DEE-LISH!

Wow it's looking great!

Thanks for the compliment Dawntiki but how about my bar? :wink:

C

Kick ass!! I could see throwin' down a few Hollandias to some Brubeck in there for sure!

Now that's worth traveling for. Congrats.

Cool, I like it. Good luck on the new business !

D

On 2006-06-21 17:48, Tiki Rotterdam wrote:
Thanks for the compliment Dawntiki but how about my bar? :wink:

Makes DawnTiki thirsty!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jun 21, 2006 8:33 PM

Looks kool man! If Im ever that way Ill make sure I look you up :)

Honey, I'm heading over to Holland for a drink !

Double Hat Tip to my new drinking place !

Great Job !!!!

S

Nice that you installed liquor before you are near finished!

Love the blurry pics......giving a hint of what's happening, but no detail until it's ready....

As a regular visitor to Amsterdam, I've always cursed the lack of Tiki bars there, but this is another step towards Rotterdam being the true centre of liberalism, salty attitudes and hard-core fun in Europe.

Now how do I get there?

Trader Woody

K

Hey T.R. -- that looks AWESOME...

Please tell me the bar top isn't about 5'9", OK? I'm a sawed-off MoF'er at about 5'6", and I know you Dutch folk are some of the tallest cats on the planet at about 7'2" average or something like that (even the ladies)! OK, maybe not THAT tall an average, but pretty dang tall. I was playing in a blues band in Wisconsin at a nice microbrewery several years ago, and all these cats from Holland on business came in for beers. Holy crap! I think the shrimpy "short" guy in the group was about 6'3"!

Love the look of that place. Hope to make it over there on that side of the pond soon.

Aloha!

Kanekila

[ Edited by: Kanekila 2006-06-25 14:44 ]

Some more pictures of the first Dutch Tikibar to be.

Tiki Rotterdam behind the bar, this picture was taken about 2 weeks ago, the ceiling above the bar is now finished.
The 'tapacloth' on the wall on the left was handpainted by me:

Outside of the bar, still blinded (& not finished yet):

Overview of the bar, notice that handpainted 'bamboo', done by Bamboo Ben from Rotterdam:

Another painted wall, on the left (under plastic) is my dj booth.
That lamp is maybe not 100% tiki but who cares, i love it :wink::

Enough place to chill at the back, never mind the mess, were not open yet :wink::

Picture wallpaper & painted over it, dig that funky volcano!!

Ami bumper 100 in the corner:

More pictures later, Tiki greetings from Rotterdam.

[ Edited by: Tiki Rotterdam 2006-07-04 11:06 ]

Looks fabulous, Rotterdam!! Congratulations and all the best for the opening!!
I hope to visit sometime. May have to stop by Amsterdam first, though. It's been a long time...
How far are you from there?

Wow, what an inspiration! Lookit all the bamboo!!
Great job, it's a stunning bar!
Thank you for the wonderful pictures.

Amsterdam/Rotterdam is 1 hour by train.
I bought most of my masks in Amsterdam by the way, about $35 per mask, maybe i will post the adress later.
I will check if i can arrange a discount for tiki centralites :wink:

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jul 4, 2006 8:33 PM

Kool bar man - just keeps on getting better :)

First of all thank you for opening this great Tiki Bar in my hometown!
I payed you a visit today with my friends and we truely enjoyed the drinks, the nice atmosphere, fresh springrolles and amazing interior!
I think I finally found my "stamcafé".

Good luck!

Jullie zijn echt een aanwinst voor Rotterdam!

P

Man o man!!
I'm coming to Rotterdam in September for the Stardumb records Rotterdam Rumble! I think there'll be a bunch of us heading over for a cocktail or ten! How close are you to the Maritime hotel/Waterfront???

Can you give me an address and let me know what time you'll be open til? that way I know if I can make it over once the bands have finished!

Also are there any good places selling tiki?

Anyway see you in September!

T

I will have to look at this more cloesely tomorrow, but I thought that that bar was in your house and that you were the luckiestr man alive and had a super large basement.

On 2006-07-04 10:56, Tiki Rotterdam wrote:
Overview of the bar, notice that handpainted 'bamboo', done by Bamboo Ben from Rotterdam:

"Bamboo Ben from Rotterdam"? There's more than one? :o

"Bamboo Ben from Rotterdam"? There's more than one?

No, I believe there is only one Bamboo Ben. It's always worth a try and efforts are good here....but, from what I've heard....there's only one Bamboo Ben.
Yup, only one.
XXXOOO
Ivy

TwO Bamboo Ben's? I guess #2 will have to change his name or something.

H

That place looks really, REALLY good! Nice work guys. Would love to visit but afraid I would never come back home.

Yeah! Rotterdam finally has its well deserved Tiki-bar.
2 weeks ago i was there for the first time, and i will be back for more.

3 euro pints of Jupiler. Rock on!!

T

Nice looking Tiki bar........I might have to plan a trip over there.
Good luck!!!!

I drove buy your bar last month, but i was in a hurry.
I will be back and visit your bar.
to look how it is in the inside

Tiki's is open for almost eight months now (which feels like eight weeks) and we're doing incredibly well, the place is packed every weekend and the atmosphere is still very good.
I haven't paid too much attention to the website yet but at least you can see our very differentiated clientele, almost all people on the pictures are "regulars".
(Look under "foto's")
Pictures are updated about once a week.

Mahalo from Rotterdam, Holland.

http://www.tikis.nl

[ Edited by: Tiki Rotterdam 2007-03-16 12:42 ]

P

Hey

Taken me a long time to put these up but here are a few photos from my visit in September as part of the Stardumb records Rotterdam Rumble. We had a punk music quiz with serious hangovers! The barman was kind enough to give me a few postcards as a momento

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/122/259193222_ef29b0f475.jpg?v=0

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/100/259193221_3a67eba6a3.jpg?v=0

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/95/259193218_1495d1dc34.jpg?v=0

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/82/259193214_6f6c5d5ba5.jpg?v=0

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/115/259193212_f291e7ddb7.jpg?v=0

Wow...your bar looks awesome. If I am ever traveling to your part of the planet, I will certainly visit your bar. Great job on the decorum, and some great skin art to look at while drinkin' :)

T

I'll be in Rotterdam for the Primitive! Weekender on June 20th through the 23rd, 2007. I'm looking forward to checking out your bar!

Pages: 1 38 replies