Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki's and Terrors 2 Group Art Show - September 16th 2006

Pages: 1 2 73 replies

D

Tiki's and Terrors 2 Opening reception is not at A Stuart Gallery 8/26-27/06 - It is now at The Bahooka http://www.geocities.com/bahookarestaurant/ September 16th 2006 6pm till Midnight, along with the Art show we are having a very Special and Limited Edition Tiki mug release party, the site is not completed yet and I will be posting more info very soon, we have some great stuff lined up.

We would love to hear any comments or suggestions and Submissions

[ Edited by: DarkTiki 2006-04-20 13:01 ]

[ Edited by: darktiki 2006-05-18 20:34 ]

[ Edited by: DarkTiki 2006-06-24 10:40 ]

TM

Dark Tiki, mick from the smokin menehunes here! PM if you need a Hawaiian band again! We really enjoyed opening your event last year!

D

That would be great, We love the Menehunes

D

We are accepting submissions for Art and Carvings for this show,
send me a PM or email

I'd love to do some pieces for this show.

There is some much scope for taking tiki from the exotic world of cocktails and sandy beaches, to witchcraft, deep sea terrors, amazon women, giant ape creatures, radioactive monsters, invaders from space. Maybe not all in the SAME print...

[ Edited by: tikiracer 2006-04-03 11:57 ]

Im makin up a few Frankinstein tikis on Velvet backboards eyes & mouth light up .I,ll shoot ya a e,mail in the next day or so . Regards Jymmy

T

Hello again , Cyndi and I had a great time at the tiki mag release party. Grat to meet you and your dad too. I will call you soon to set up our meeting .Cant wait for this show .Mahalo , Tiki-Ray

D

Tiki's and Terrors 2 is still going to be on,
we are looking for a larger venue for the event,
with the response last year and the response I am getting now it is needed.

WE have a few possibilities but welcome any suggestions

please contact me
or just respond here

Christian

Tiki's and Terrors II - the 2006 Lost Expedition Art show is going to be held at the Bahooka, and we are also releasing a very exclusive and limited tiki mug that night, would anybody like to know more?
send me a message [email protected]

When I was there oN fri. with frineds, the lady at the Reservation desk was talking about your event, they seem pretty stoked about it.
As am I, since I missed last years event.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

D

Hey Everybody, just a quick note, many more artists and info to be added after the weekend

N

Tikis and Terrors was a great show last year. The show has since moved to the Bahooka (good choice!). I'll definitely be there.

D

first manifest log photos from 2006 lost expedition on it's way to the mainland

Christian Simpson
http://www.astuartgallery.com
http://www.myspace.com/darkbar
http://www.tikisandterrors.com

[ Edited by: DarkTiki 2006-08-30 03:18 ]

[ Edited by: DarkTiki 2006-08-31 13:39 ]

Just got a picture of the Mug for the Tikis-and Terrors 2 show from Dave(Squid) and seeing as it hasn't been posted yet here.....

Hopefully, this Creepy Cannibal will convincel you to attend! Note the lovely crate....

that is one bad ass zombie mug, I was goin before, but that just seals the deal.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Can a Tiki Mug get any better?! Fantastic work!

[ Edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2006-09-06 17:59 ]

I want one!!!!

D

I strongly recommend that everyone shows up early for the mug, we cannot reserve mugs, way too much demand.

So I suggest that before you get there you find a nice smooth rock/stone and paint your name on it and we will have a nice calm line of stones in line for the mug, but you must get there early enough to place such said rock/stone in place in line, we will then number your stone to keep its place in line but maybe you should bring a non mug collecting friend to keep an eye on your stone just in case the evil doing idol mug plays tricks on you and your stone.

--
Dark Tiki

H

What is early???

C

I'm actually sleeping outside right now......waiting for the doors to open....

D

Reposted for Squid

OK y'all. DarkTiki asked me to come up with something special for T&T2 group art show. Here they are and here's the poop.

LEFT:Brown glaze, 150 produced, $20.00 each.
CENTER:Brown glaze, hand-painted details, 10 produced, $30.00.
RIGHT: Super special emerald glaze with hand-painted detail, securely nailed into a wooden safari crate to keep your evil idol from terrorizing the rest of your collection. 50 produced, $45.00 each. (crowbar not included, please bring your own).

With each mug purchase you will receive a coupon for a special event drink discount!

The show is at The Bahooka in Rosemead, CA on Sept 16 @ 6:00 PM. There will be a separate line/checkout for mug purchases. Edition numbers cannot be reserved and crated versions will be sold totally at random as there is no number visible on the outside of crate. We thought this would be the fairest way to do it.

No pre-sales. One each per customer. Cash please. Credit cards will be accepted for art purchases.

Hope to see you there for some killer art from my ever-so-talented tiki comrades!!

Peace,
Squid

Oh yeah, the mug is approx. 7.5" tall, signed and numbered.

tikisandterrors.com

Christian Simpson
http://www.astuartgallery.com
http://www.myspace.com/darkbar
http://www.tikisandterrors.com

[ Edited by: DarkTiki 2006-09-07 15:46 ]

Im so all over the tiki and Terrors art show.
gonna get there early eat/drink/get mug, look at art, maybe buy some.

But then Hate to cross promote in another forum/event But it's in the same genre( of spooky type stuff)anyway.
at around 9 pm or so there is a show of the Ghastly Ones and others just a few miles away at Spikes in Rosemead.

Here is the link to the web info.
http://www.ghastlyones.com/shows.htm

Hope some that might dig it follow us over there.
after eating/drinking/and buying stuff at t iki's and terrors art show.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2006-09-12 20:19 ]

M

I'm In.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Sep 11, 2006 6:36 PM

GROG post preview of artwork GROG and friend John making for Tiki and terrors art show. These are progress pics.

This is the original sketch GROG send to John to propose about doing piece together for art show.

This is the 3D mock-up GROG made out of foamcore and sculpey.

John take measurements from 3D mock-up and drawings and program them into computer to run on CNC machine.
This is Frankenmoai after first pass on CNC next to original mock-up.

This is "Franky" after 2nd pass on CNC.

This is 3rd pass thru CNC of "Franky".

John got sick this week and and was unable to do the final pass to do the hair on back of "Franky", so the piece won't be completely finished when it is at the show this weekend. It will be pollished, so none of the tool tracks will show in the final piece and it will be shiny like chrome.

GROG hope you like.

That is awesome.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Sep 11, 2006 11:42 PM

Thank you Bora Boris.

So far it's turning out really nice. GROG did some grinding on it last night with a dremel to smooth some of the edges on the hair and then gave it back to John this evening to be pollished for the show. Once it's back from the show, the back will still need to be milled, so the piece won't be a completely finished piece in the show. GROG took it to work
(animation studio) and also showed some of the guests at GROG's luau this weekend and everybody has really liked it.
It weighs six pounds, but feels heavier.

It looks really impressive in person.John has done an amazing job milling it on the CNC. GROG looking forward to seeing everybody's reaction to it at the Tikis and Terrors show.

he's heavy too! Nice Ernie, thank's for a great time!

In response to Jeff(BigTikiDude), totally cool to promote for the Ghastly Ones or any other event, and FYI
Norman (Baron Shivers) is going to be spinning some tunes at the Tikis and Terrors II show
before he goes to Spikes to play, we have other guest DJ's as well

I had a great time at the Luau too Grog, thanks

T

Are there any to buy the mugs (if there are any left over) for those of us who live elsewhere?

[ Edited by: TikiPug 2006-09-12 17:25 ]

grog make good art.

On 2006-09-12 12:38, DarkTiki wrote:
In response to Jeff(BigTikiDude), totally cool to promote for the Ghastly Ones or any other event, and FYI
Norman (Baron Shivers) is going to be spinning some tunes at the Tikis and Terrors II show
before he goes to Spikes to play, we have other guest DJ's as well

wow here I was expecting to step on toes here, and when I saw your post I was totally blown away to see that Norm was gonna be DJing there.
great!!!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

DarkTiki is the man! That mug! That art! I mean, it's a freaking art show about Tikis and terror for gawd's sake! How great is that?! I'm so excited about coming to the show I can't stand it!

CA

well i guess the paint might just dry on this before the show......i hope.......

Hey Crazy,

those are freakin' crazy cool

good seeing you and everybody at Grog's Luau, you are all very talented, glad to have everyone's involvement.

Mahalo's

G
GROG posted on Wed, Sep 13, 2006 6:34 PM

GROG and John's aluminum Frankenmoai is pollished, and looks pretty slick. GROG post a pic when GROG get one. Still got a little more touch- up pollishing GROG want to do, but otherwise it's pretty much ready to go. When and where do we need to get the artwork to you Darktiki?

CA

a follow-up to my "Shrunken Head #1" piece debuted in Seattle this weekend also.... here is a trip to New Genie via a velvet painting of a museum piece of the De Young collecting in San Francisco

We are planning on heading out for the show (and then on to see the Ghastly Ones). It looks like there'll be some really cool art to check out...

My question for you guys is...I'd like to get some dinner while we (party of 2) are there, but I am wondering if a dinner reservation may conflict timewise with the line for one of those bichen mugs. Does one normally need a reservation for dinner at Bahooka on a Sat night? Or can we plan to just proceed to the eating area whenever we are done with the show and be seated?

Any suggestions? Thanks. John

Im planning on getting there at 4 pm or sp to get my eat/drink on, then do the art thing/hang with everybody, sober up for the drive over to the Ghastly Ones show. Ghastlys are playing later at night around midnight or so. there are 3 other bands before them.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

Al, you are pushing the envelope and I'm liking it. As long as tiki artist keep this up, I'm going to keep taking notice.

Along the lines of another poster....the Dr. can't make this house call!

I'd eat a Pygmy for one of those Green Monster Tiki Mugs in the Crate! :)

Anyone care to make a pre-show agreement for a trade for one?

I could trade a Munktiki Tiki Oasis 6 mug, I have a few Shags and other unusual stuff.....or just plain old fashioned CASH!

Come on.....don't make me beg! :wink:

email me if you're super kind and interested in a swap or cash!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Sep 14, 2006 10:40 PM

Who is this Crazy Al fella?

On 2006-09-14 02:15, crazy al wrote:
a follow-up to my "Shrunken Head #1" piece debuted in Seattle this weekend also.... here is a trip to New Genie via a velvet painting of a museum piece of the De Young collecting in San Francisco

I went with C'Al and Lane (from Ape) to this gig a while back. The Original PnG Art blew me away.

I'm still trippin' that Dennis De Young from Styx has such an insane collection!! ( all that from "Come Sail Away??")

I saw that scull in person and C'Al nailed it big time! On velvet too!!!

C'Al??? You need a Leeteg Book!!!!

Arrrsome!

That sounds like a good plan Jeff.

Dr. TikiMojo- I may take you up on that...a trade for the Tiki Oasis 6 mug. I was a suffering bastard almost all day Saturday from too many Zombies at the Bali Hai on Friday night and missed out on getting one. What Shag mugs do you have to trade?

-John

D

Bump-a-de-bump-bump

and I hope whoever does not make my show at the Bahooka is going to the Hooptylau,
and don't forget that this is not my show, it is the artist's show, but wherever you are headed
please enjoy yourselves and send me pictures...

Soooo, is it okay to photograph art at an art show? Or just the people looking at the art? And, exactly how many people can drink out of a scorpion bowl anyway?
~Tiki Shark

Well I dunno about photographing art upclose and ability to copy from artists...but sharing a few wide shots of the festivities couldn't hurt?!?!

I had a great time trippin thru the show! Darktiki there to greet folks, Squid passing out trophy mugs to all the 'orderly attendees'... rocks and stones used to create a waiting line for mug purchase admittance. One mug per person till they all ran out...fair enough.

Lot's of artist's there to chat it out with anyone interested in taking a prized work home! VERY cool but NOT too SCARY!! I had a great time!

ENJOY! :D Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

Tikis and Terrors II was a lot of fun. My wife and I stood next to Traveling Jones and kept an eye on our rock to make sure it didn't move from the mug line. Then Tiki Al came out with a huge flaming bowl ("Scarlet Sails"?). Very tasty. Made the wait go by quickly. We all traipsed through the line, and although the hand-painted brown mugs went too quickly, we did get a green mug in the crate, which is what I was hoping to come home with. Inside, lots of great art to look at. We then had some Bahooka food, visited, and tried various other drinks off the menu. The "Headshrinker" was my favorite so far.

I suppose the next event on my calendar is Crazy Al's Retrospective in October. I'm hoping I'll have a chance to pick up one of those giant #2 mugs he was walking around with at the Bahooka tonight. Now that's a mug!

Thanks to everyone who put on the event! The Bahooka is our closest tiki bar and it was nice to see it jam-packed with folks having such a good time.

~ Trader Tom

Pages: 1 2 73 replies