Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki's and Terrors 2 Group Art Show - September 16th 2006

Pages: 1 2 73 replies

i'd just like to say what a great time i had! it was a great event at a fun new to me location. i didn't get a crated version of Squid's mug, but i love the one i got. next time i'll be sure not to get lost and arrive later than planned. there was still quite a crowd when i got there and the people were very friendly. as a newbie, i'm glad to have gotten my feet wet in the community and meet some of you. thanks for putting on a such a rich and varied art show. i'll be looking forward to the next one.

Last night was fun. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit but it was my first time at Bahooka...I'll be back. We had some dinner and drinks...

...then went outside and joined the rock line. Ours has the drink umbrella (later I added a little palm/toothpick hut).

We got the crated mug. I also picked up Squid's Freaky Tiki's set too. I am really looking forward to the Squid/Tiki Farm skull mugs and monkey decanter/shot glass set they had sketches for...way cool!! My girlfriend bought herself a Soz print, the alien vs cowboy showdown. Lots of cool art!! Thanks to all those involved in putting on the show.

We didn't make it to Spikes though. :(

-John

Thanks to all who enjoyed my work last night . I met a lot of friends and now I can put a face to a name.A brief rundown of the night through my eyes,Adri and Grog each brought a small piece but were a big hit .Al's painting was amazing up close ,some rock people were still non trusting for their spot in line , Ernie looks good in al's shirt , Christian's head was spinning all night trying to make everyone happy ( by the way your Mom called and said you should take a nap! )Nick finally got out of the house and Squid has too many rocks in his car.Thanks to Christian and crew for making me feel so welcome , Tiki-Ray

G
GROG posted on Sun, Sep 17, 2006 11:50 AM

Thanks everybody who came to the show, and for the compliments on Al's shirt (as well as the the Frankenmoai).
Thanks to all the super-talented artists for showing their artwork. GROG really enjoyed meeting those of you GROG hadn't met before and enjoyed seeing those of you GROG has met before. Also, big thanks to Christian for putting on the event.Squid, GROG really enjoy meeting you and your wife,and GROG really enjoy getting such a neat mug.GROG looking forward to the Spooky Luau in October and having a finished Frankenmoai for the show. Thanks Ookoo-lady for taking the towel off of GROG's piece so that everybody could see it.Al going to have to fight GROG to get his shirt back.(and GROG fight dirty)

Tikis and Terrors = a great time! - Bahooka's a great restaurant, exciting art, and what cool people! Highlights were meeting Nick from Tiki Magazine (finally) and getting to tell him his magazine is how I found the Tiki Culture "Tribe". Buying a drink for Baron Shivers. Hanging with Tiki Ray in the parking lot and hearing how he makes his awesome tikis. Talking with Ken Ruruzic about his cool tribal art (thanks for letting me rub the surf board!) Jawing with Tiki Tony about his carved birds and color choices, and meeting Christian (the darktiki ringmaster) and hearing his plans for future frightful events. Next year sounds to be awesome! I think I got to talk to Squid, but I'm such a typical shut-in artist who never gets out of his studio I was mostly too shy to ask everyone who they were. Just seeing the the art in person a powerful experience. Crazy Al's Black velvet piece, Squid's three tiki mug set, Ken's door panel... and of course a great hight light was sharing my first scorpion bowl with friends. Thanks Alan and Eric and Manuel, and everyone.
~Tiki Shark

What a Great time! What a fun show! What a great venue!
Thank you Darktiki, for gathering us all together and letting us share our sicknesses together! it was sooooooo great to meet and actually hold conversations with TikiRay, Grog, Kirby,TikiShark,Crazy Al,Bif and Mike, and of course, Squid, and his way cool wife Sue! ( I saw Tiki Tony, but didn't get a chance to chat-boohoo!) It's such a trip to meet some of your heroes! So many friends, both new and old attended and it seemed like a splendid time for all! I took waaaaaaay too many pix, so I gotta prep them up and will post them in the next day or too. I do have 2 shots of the Cannibal (door panel piece) Tiki Shark mentioned. Squid liked that one too! I'd like to see you guys mud-wrestle for it!
Here's what the whole piece looked like....

and here's a detail of the mouth

Thanks again Christian for making Tiki History yet again!

Here's that piece of Tiki Art that many people had a hand in making, that was just out side the door...

S

Wow! Now that was fun! Susan (AKA Mrs Squid) and I had a blast. We really enjoyed meeting the other arteests, their respective spousal units (where applicable) and many of the TC Ohana. And we got to pig out with friends on some delish grub!

Now here's a bit of mug fun. Somehow (too many Island Itches?) I let an Artist Proof crated mug slip out into the general sales batch. So whoever got it, enjoy and pass it on to your kids. Tell 'em not to eBay it until you're pushin' up daisies so you don't have to watch.

Tiki-Ray, Kirby, C'Al, tOny, Johnny, Grog and that Krylon-fume-fueled Ruzic....you guys make awesome shit! Too much good stuff there to see. Come to think of it, it was all kinda getting wavy and soft-focused around 11:00 or so, but I digress.

And yes....we have your rocks :) The whole event was just an evil ploy to get free building materials for the waterfall we're going to construct in the back yard. Worked like a charm!

Oh, and Christian??? I agree....take a well deserved nap!

THOSE OF YOU WHO COULDN'T MAKE IT TO THE SHOW:
Keep an eye on this topic 'cause there's gonna be some interesting info coming up in the next couple of days........

hello all,

let me say that while my stay was short (previously planned B-day shin-dig for friend) I had an awesome time at the Bahooka. It was my third visit to the Bahooka and I love it more each visit.

Squid - Awsome T&T mugs (didn't get the AP - DOOH). Your sketches of your new TIKI Farm mugs to come were awesome. Let's push those babies thru the Tiki Farm red tape as I feel as if my like is now incomplete until they are resting comfortably on my shelf. In fact, I believe Squid's artistry to be of such a level that he should have total artistic control (hey squid - how was that - was that ok or did I lay it on too thick - just doing what I was told.

Tiki Tony - nice chatting with you - I will be contacting you shortly to place on order for a couple of your lamps (we may wanna original painting as well - can we work out a package price?)

C'AL - didn't see ya - but great black velvet painting. A little too spooky for my digs but definitely top notch.

Kirby - talked to you very briefly. Got one of your pendants. Now we gotta talk about getting one of your pieces. Awesome, although i believe that me budget does not allow for such a large piece. Instead of that large rectangular shape, how about a nice tidy square?

Bartender Suzy - My wife and I fell in love with your coconut monkey paintings. Didn't see any prices but did but my e-mail on your e-mail list - when can we get one. My wife loved the monkey holding the baby monkey (you appealed to her maternal instinct). So bust out some more for public consumption and count me in.

Everyone else - great stuff with just too many talented artists to mention. Had a blast.

Michael g (aka Tab)

On 2006-09-18 15:27, smgleason47 wrote:
hello all,

let me say that while my stay was short (previously planned B-day shin-dig for friend) I had an awesome time at the Bahooka. It was my third visit to the Bahooka and I love it more each visit.

Squid - Awsome T&T mugs (didn't get the AP - DOOH). Your sketches of your new TIKI Farm mugs to come were awesome. Let's push those babies thru the Tiki Farm red tape as I feel as if my like is now incomplete until they are resting comfortably on my shelf. In fact, I believe Squid's artistry to be of such a level that he should have total artistic control (hey squid - how was that - was that ok or did I lay it on too thick - just doing what I was told.

Tiki Tony - nice chatting with you - I will be contacting you shortly to place on order for a couple of your lamps (we may wanna original painting as well - can we work out a package price?)

C'AL - didn't see ya - but great black velvet painting. A little too spooky for my digs but definitely top notch.

Kirby - talked to you very briefly. Got one of your pendants. Now we gotta talk about getting one of your pieces. Awesome, although i believe that me budget does not allow for such a large piece. Instead of that large rectangular shape, how about a nice tidy square?

Bartender Suzy - My wife and I fell in love with your coconut monkey paintings. Didn't see any prices but did but my e-mail on your e-mail list - when can we get one. My wife loved the monkey holding the baby monkey (you appealed to her maternal instinct). So bust out some more for public consumption and count me in.

Everyone else - great stuff with just too many talented artists to mention. Had a blast.

Michael g (aka Tab)

hahahah Tab rules!!!

Great stuff everyone...great time and I can't wait for the next event and I feel inspired to bang out a bunch of new stuff!! Thanks to everyone who made the night a kick ass event...hope to spend more time with big drinks, art and painted rocks...

-the other peeps at the end of the line!!

ahhh yes....Clysdalle - the artist, the myth, dare I say legend...yes his art too did not suck.

And yes Clysdalle we shall soon share a ridiculosly large bowl of liquor. Crazy al's show on in October perhaps? The Elusive art show at the Lucky Tiki (is there a date yet?). Yes - our paths will again cross and we shall enbibe.

tab

M

Bahooka's ROCKS!!!!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Sep 18, 2006 7:08 PM

GROG got to see Rufus, the big fish, eat a carrot. Fun stuff.

GROG needs to post a pic of the polished Frankenmoai, but GROG not have digital camera. GROG post when GROG get a pic.

S
squid posted on Mon, Sep 18, 2006 8:01 PM

On 2006-09-18 15:27, smgleason47 wrote:

Michael g (aka Tab)

Hey Tab- I believe that was just the appropriate viscosity for "ramming it through". I know, I know....straight to the gutter.....:) hehe. Thanks mate! Glad you like 'em!

Aloha Y'all!
Here's those other pix I promised! I took out all the blurry,boring, and/or incriminating shots, so here's the sanitized version of Tikis and Terrors 2.
First two shots are the "Mug People" They're like those Star Wars "Sandpeople", but nicer and more attractive!

Here's Bif and Mike-nervous about gettin' their crated Special Squid Mug!

Here they are, opening their crates like frenzied crackheads,hoping they got the Golden Ticket!

Here's some shots of the show! I apologize to anyone's art that isn't in the pictures-some shots were too blurry or flashed out....Having disclaimered, I will now present the shew...

img]https://tikicentral.com/uploads/4956/450f622c.jpg[/img]

and lastly, here's a ghost photo of Squid-complete with ectoplasm!

and some Bahooka Tikis-seeing this is Tiki Central!

This gut got a lil' too aggro, so they had to chain him up....Very sad...

and of course, nothing makes art look better than.....Tropical Drinks!

G'night!

S
squid posted on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 3:28 PM

HEADS UP!
ANNOUNCEMENT AT APPROX. 6 PM PACIFIC TIME TONIGHT.

squid

wooooohoooooo.........come on!!!!!

What is it, what is it????!!!!

This better not be one of those 'How do you keep and idiot in suspense' jokes again . . .

S
squid posted on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 5:56 PM

MUGS FOR THE PEOPLE!!

For those TC comrades that didn't make it to the show.....

We have 61 regular edition brown T&T2 mugs left over. First come, first served.

If you want one (one per person please), PM me with your shipping address and email address. I'll email back with confirmation if you scored :) If they have sold out I'll send you a sensitive condolance message :(

Paypal is preferred but check or Money Order is OK too. I'll send all that info in the confirmation.

$20 plus $7.00 to cover packaging materials and Priority Mail in US.
Foreign orders, please include your address in PM and I'll calculate your shipping.

We're on the honor system here so please, no double dipping. And besides, it ain't sanitary.

Thanks and good luck!

squid

PS: Yes, all the green crated and hand painted brownies were swept up at the show.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Sep 20, 2006 11:04 PM

Well then, if there are no more hand-painted brownies available, do you have any airbrushed girlscouts?

S
squid posted on Thu, Sep 21, 2006 1:07 PM

On 2006-09-20 23:04, GROG wrote:

Well then, if there are no more hand-painted brownies available, do you have any airbrushed girlscouts?

Grog funny! Make squid chuckle! I go check.......

Nice pictures Little Lost Tiki, my bald spot says “Hello”.

[ Edited by: Bora Boris 2006-09-26 19:32 ]

Thank you everyone for coming out, and thank you Dark Tiki for organizing such an amazing show!

I am so happy my coconut monkey paintings found some fans! : ) I have new paintings in the works, and I will have some beautiful (and economical) prints in handmade bamboo frames available VERY SOON!

The best way to keep up on all this monkey business is by checking out my blog:

http://coconutmonkeyproject.blogspot.com/

or e-mail me directly and I will add you to my mailing list! Please feel free to e-mail me with any questions, commissions, or just to talk about how much we love coconut monkeys.

Mahalo!

-Suzy

D

Hey Everybody,
just a quick reminder

The Tikis and Terrors Safari Company presents:
The Spooky Luau Group Art Show
(a continuation, with new additions of the
Tikis and Terrors II: the 2006 Lost Expedition)

Idols, Artifacts, Curios and Oddities
collected and catalogued by surviving expedition members

Kirsten Easthope, Derek Yaniger, Crazy Al, Squid, Kalynn Cambell, Tom "THOR" Thordarson, Sam Gambino, David Lozeau,
Steven "Tiki Racer" Foote, Mark Swanson, Tiki Tony, Ernie Keen, D.W. Frydendall, Johnny "Pinstriper" Steur, Susannah Mosher, Dispikable Pirates, Eric Zerkel, Ken Ruzic, Adriana Galvez, Joe Vitale, Dave Burke, Dave Silva, Tiki King, The Pizz, Gris Grimly, Tiki-Ray, Kirby, Louis Hansell, Mike Sosnowski, Scott Tolleson, Brad Parker "TikiShark"...and more...

Exhibition and Reception
Saturday, October 7th, 2006
at Enchanted Deva's Last Wish Revenge N' Treasures
5050 Vineland Avenue
North Hollywood, CA 91601
http://www.myspace.com/EnchantedDevas
6 p.m. - 12 a.m.

Christian Simpson
http://www.astuartgallery.com
http://www.myspace.com/darkbar
http://www.tikisandterrors.com

[ Edited by: DarkTiki 2006-10-02 15:38 ]

G
GROG posted on Mon, Oct 2, 2006 7:08 PM

GROG post pics of the polished Frankenmoai on the Spooky Luau thread.

S
squid posted on Sat, Oct 14, 2006 8:14 PM

Thank you all for your props and enthusiasm! Drink well my friends!

Those that reserved but haven't paid yet: Deadline is Oct 24. Any questions, please PM me. Mahalo!

squid

Pages: 1 2 73 replies