Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Solar Tiki Torch Lights @ Home Despot

Pages: 1 2 68 replies

TF

Just a little note about someting I discovered for sale at Home Despot. Hampden Bay, makers of all kinds of fine and durable lighting for the home are now producing Solar Tiki torch garden lights. These items are kind of unique in that they come with faux bamboo poles that give you the option of placing them low to the ground or, if you prefer, they can stand as tall as your standard backyard Tiki Torch. But that's not all! The bulb inside flickers unlike other solar garden lighting. The faux finish is painted on resin and metal and is reasonably pleasing to look at. Moreover, these puppies are sturdy enough to survive extreme outdoor conditions. I found mine in Denver for @15.00 a pop.

Perhaps the best thing about these lights is that they are plant friendly and you wont have to pour gallons of fuel into them over the summer. As these lights are in no way a great substitute for the real thing, they look pretty cool around the parimiter of your yard or Tiki Patio.

Check it out!

Happy Shopping.

T.F.

T

Is this it? I wasn't able to find it on the Home Depot site. Wonder how long the NiMH batteries last and how much they cost to replace. You can't really see a flame through the frosted glass, but the flickering effect might be cool.

http://www.gardeners.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gardeners-Site/default/ViewProductDetail-SellPage?OfferID=20476&SC=xnet8604

Our dramatic Solar Tiki Torch has the look of real Tiki torches yet it's completely safe around children and pets. Powered by an amber LED that flickers realistically just like a flame inside a faceted frosted flame protector.

Runs on 2 replaceable NiMH batteries (included), which are charged by a monocrystaline panel on top.
Turn on and off yourself with switch or leave on and let light run to charge itself.
Average expected run time on fully charged light is 6 to 8 hours.

• Sold individually
  • 27-1/2" H overall x 4-1/2" diameter
  • Made of natural bamboo-colored plastic with frosted glass
R

If anyone purchases these, please let us know what you think -- most houses I've seen with installed solar lights along the walkways seem to be quite dim as far as light coverage. Of course, this being a tiki torch maybe that'd be the point. Hmmm...

Anyway, let us know what you think!

thanks,
Rupe

Kind of off the current subject, but still on the subject of lighting... The theatrical lighting company that I work for has been selling a lot of LED candles from LEDtronics. They're very affordable and really do look good, even up close.

I purchased them and they really don't throw off a ton of light but I don't think that that is the point. They work very well and create ambiance in places I would never put a flame torch. BTW I found out that the batteries are quite common and can be purchased through Home Despot should you eventually need to replace them.

The torches on the link are different than the Hampden Bay ones but they are cool too.

i got about 10 of them last year. they work great,keep'm in the sun all day and they burn ,and flicker most of the night. they are made of resin so you have to be careful not to let them fall over they break very easy. i now have one that is a table top lantern. TD

E

I was just researching this topic last night! there are a few models available out there so make sure you check them all out (and prices can really vary). I need some for the side of the house along a pathway. More concerned with ambiance than tons of light. I'm also looking into solar stepping stones...don't suppose anyone has ever seen TIKI solar stepping stones? You'd probably have to design your own, and I don't need anymore projects.

I'm thinking about giving these a try (because they flicker), but couldn't find them locally:

If anyone has seen those in the Seattle area, please let me know!

p.s. Thanks Tiki Fink, i will be in a Home Depot on monday and check out what they have

[ Edited by: Exoticat 2006-03-30 17:52 ]

TF

Aloha

Given the choice of the two styles of solar torch I have to difer to the Hampton bay torch because it does not have the Robo-dome look on top. Instead, the top of the Hampton bay torch is faux rope looking and is from a short distance is more convincing as a real flame under glass ( for what it's worth ). Since I haven't seen the other types of solar torches up close, I will reiterate the virtues of the adjustable pole length and more importantly, the price. At $15.00 a shot your you could build a freakin' Tiki Torch runway in anticipation of Wrongway Corrigan's next arrival.

Over and out..

T.F.

COSTCO is offering an 8 light set for $40 off in their most recent coupon book mailer.

They are malibu brand lights with a flickering bulb and solar panel. They are built to look like a tiki torch with wicker basket and bamboo pole (about 5 feet tall)

$99 for 8 solar powered flicker tiki lamps is really good.

E

This is the area I'm developing which will one day be the Hutikihi Grotto. As you can see there's this GIANT obstacle in the path walkway. Daily* I hack away at this tree stump with an ax since I have no chainsaw. I'm about halfways towards my goal.

Did someone say Tiki Torch Runway?

This is the view from the other direction and quite possibly the worst artist's conception ever created. Yet, I share. It'll be fun to see how it turns out down the road anyways. :)

*except when it rains

E

Costco Malibu tiki torches:

T

I got a few of these last year from home depot and just picked up a few more last week. I think they're great and pretty sturdy. I like that you can make them as tall or as short as you want them too. (The faux bamboo twists together in three sections) This year I plan on getting a few of those torch mounting brackets and put them around my deck in the back yard this summer. They are pretty cool for everyday use, and from a distance they look real, at least thats what the neighbors thought.

TD

EXOTICAT, what you need is a poter cable sawsall,orbital setting ,with a blade called the 'UGLY BLADE'. Give that a try ,a little at a time. TD

I was researching these solar tiki torches and I came across these on ebay. It looks like they are the same as Costco is selling. They are priced higher, considering Costco has them on sale, but then again you have to buy a membership at Costco. Anyway, I just thought I would pass the info along, hope it helps.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Malibu-Solar-Power-Bamboo-Tropical-Tiki-Torches-8-Pack_W0QQitemZ7758873971QQcategoryZ42155QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

TF

My final word on this subject:

I have 10 of these Home Despot lights strategically placed around the edge of my back yard and I am truly happy with them! Lots of fun!!

T.F.

I did a double-take looking at the flyer on the wall above the urinal at my local Homie Depot, ran over to the light section and grabbed two. At first I was looking all over for the bamboo poles that the box says comes with it, then I realized that it is collapsed in the box. There are two AA rechargeable batteries under the lid so when they will not hold a charge anymore, you just replace the battery, that was my beef with the early solar lights, you could not change the battery. I put it out in the sun for a few hours and then tried it out and it is very cool. The light flickers just enough to appear like a real flame. I am going to pick up a few more. I will miss the smelly oil...not.

L

On 2006-04-15 15:27, Tiki Fink wrote:
My final word on this subject:

I have 10 of these Home Despot lights strategically placed around the edge of my back yard and I am truly happy with them! Lots of fun!!

T.F.

those would look cool with an addition on the lit panel areas; some of the smaller size car rub on decal tropical designs; Turtle, hibiscus, surfer...etc...

[ Edited by: lanikai 2006-04-17 00:20 ]

E

I ordered the solar tiki torches from Costco (Malibu brand) and they took a couple weeks to get here.

They come packaged like this:

They quickly snap together (the pole has three parts):

Here's a night shot of one of them in action (minus the flickering):

I really like them from a design standpoint, but the poles are pretty flimsy. If you had them in an area where they might get touched or be in the wind you could always run a stake down the center for more support. They come with support stakes (plastic) but you can also get metal support stakes (Tiki brand) that would enable you to run a pole through them for maximum support. You would not be able to do that with the ones they provide. Overall I like them.

P

we got solar tiki torches at lowe's $12.99 each. they have a really nice flicker effect and stay on all night.

I just picked up 2 of the Malibu brand torches at Home Despot today. They were 20% off. Just thought you might like to know.

I saw these suckers first-hand at my cuzzin's Tiki bar and I was impressed by them. They do look real from a distance.

R

Found these at Harbor Freight.

[ Edited by: RENORCR 2006-09-25 17:11 ]

T

Fez Tip to Renorcr--- been looking for tall ones ...thanks !!!

Hi all, I bought some of these from Home Depot, and I found the flicker to be very artificial and like a LED red bike light except yellow. The flicker was more of a strobe and I took them back. I have some little LED tea lights that have a very natural flicker and I was hoping these HD Malibu torch lights would be like that. Has anyone else found these Malibu torches very artificial, because everybody on here seems to like them except me?

Did anybody knows where to buy the stakes of the Malibu solar bamboo tiki light. I bought my tiki light in Costco. I tried to Malibu website but they don't have this model in their site.

T

I got mine at Lowe's. Bought the set of four for $48. Then I went back and bought another and another and another. I have 20 of them now scattered out around my hot tub and amongst my tiki statue collection. I still have my real torches, but for just walking out on the back patio to see these things all flickering almost like the real deal - without having to fill them up and light all of them - is a real treat!

Here is a shot of some of mine.

[ Edited by: TikiLuvr 2007-05-25 09:59 ]

They are on sale at Target this week - 2 for $25 I think -- we bought ours at OSH for $12 each. They flicker all night -- nice effect!

If you want to buy them from Amazon, they have them now for about $25 for a 2 pack. Even better there is an instant rebate of about $5 per pack that show up when you check out, and they ship for free. So about $10 each shipped and no tax.

I just saw the 4 pack of the tiki torches at BJ's wholesale club for $49.00 and they had a $10 mail in rebate. That would make them $10 each. Good deal! :tiki:

Has anyone rigged these up to be used inside?

I was thinking about using these in my basement bar, and powering then via some alternate method.

R

At the Costco by me (Cypress, CA), they currently have an 8-pack of them for $59. The come with rechargeable AA batteries in them, but you could also just use regular AA batteries as well. They also have an on/off switch on them so you could choose to turn them on as needed, rather than from dusk/dawn.

I bought two 8-packs. They are awesome.

R

On 2006-09-26 22:03, tikiriffic wrote:
Hi all, I bought some of these from Home Depot, and I found the flicker to be very artificial and like a LED red bike light except yellow. The flicker was more of a strobe and I took them back. I have some little LED tea lights that have a very natural flicker and I was hoping these HD Malibu torch lights would be like that. Has anyone else found these Malibu torches very artificial, because everybody on here seems to like them except me?

Naw the ones you got must have sucked, I have 3 and they're GREAT! :lol: :wink:

TD

I have a few too, I think they work great :) nice ambience!

My local (Glendale) Costco doesn't have them. Anyone seen them recently at any other S.Cal Costcos?

I have two different kinds. I bought a bunch of Maulibu branded ones from Amazon. They look OK, and they work ok, although I found the flicvker to be to "mechanical" in nature.

I also bought a set of the ones from Costco (don't remember the brand). Externally, they didn't look as good as the Malibus, but it looked like they came from the same plastic molds. With a little additonal weathering (like maybe an light wash of black and brown paint) they'll look a lot better. The flicker is a lot better in these and much more "natural flame" looking than the Malibus, IMHO.

S

I've noticed that some of them specify the number of LEDs inside. I think the Malibu ones say 2. I just got back from Costco (northridge, ca) where they still have some (westinghouse brand) for about 60 bucks for 8. They say 4 LEDs. I'm guessing the more flickering LEDs, the better the effect. (I'll report later after the sun goes down). The Malibu ones seem to have the best "bamboo" look though. The plastic on these Westinghouse ones is too light a color. They will need a little modification. I saw a couple on Tiki Al's jeep that he had worked his voodoo on and they looked fantasticly real. Perhaps he will share his secrets?

Hey Spy-Tiki, I would appreciate that! I've been thinking about getting some of the Westinghouse brand ones online, but don't want to shell out the clams just in case they look crappy. Please do let us know what you think!

T

I bought a set of the Westinghouse tiki torches and they rock for looking like real flame! I agree they do not look as nice as the Malibu set, but I have had several people ask me about the candle inside of them :)

My wife even told me I should buy another set! (hard to believe with all the tiki stuff I buy)

:tiki:

O.K. I've tested them and I think they look pretty good. Inside there are four LEDs. One is constantly lit and the other three flicker together. It looks pretty good! All the gizmos are housed in the top part with the solar cell so if you wanted to, it wouldn't be hard to take that part and the translucent tube and set it into a real bamboo torch. I think I'll go the touch up paint route for now though. Maybe use real bamboo poles as well. Since they'll be used at night it probably doesn't make much difference, but I want a couple for inside also. They're actually bigger than I thought. About the size of the real thing.

S

Here are a few pics for comparison:

Westinghouse

Malibu

Strathwood

Spytiki, do the Westinghouse lights have a realistic flame look to them?

That is my knock on the Malibu lights, that they look too mechanical and not real. I'm hoping the Westinghouse ones look more like real torches when on.

S

I guess I'd say they look good enough. You'll notice the regularity of the flicker if you sit and study them for a while, but hopefully one has better things to do. I was surprised at how bfight they were. Cosmetically, I think the Malibus are the best and the ones on Tiki Al's jeep looked great. I liked their flame too so maybe I'm easier to please.

I plan on sticking mine around the far reaches of the yard and having a couple of real ones nearer the action. Plus a couple at the inside bar. Those I'll probably stick in a real bamboo torch.

The 8 for 60 bucks deal is pretty good if you can find a costco still doing it. I got the idea they were clearing them out. Some costcos had the westinghouse and some had the malibu, but I couldn't find any malibu when I was looking.

Perhaps the next generation of solar torches will have a more sophisticated "flicker system".

Thanks Spy-Tiki! I appreciate the extra info. I guess the reason I wonder about them looking "real" or "not real" is because I have some LED tea lights that flicker with an almost random, totally realistic, candlelight effect. You would almost never know, even if you stare at them for a bit, that it is not a candle. I'm really hoping to find some Tiki Torches that have a more natural, realistic flicker. The Malibu ones I have are alright, but I know they could be better.

I bet you could hack your lights if you knew something about electronics, but I don't so, I'll just make due I guess. Maybe there is a market for a better, more organic, tiki torch.

Kind of like there is a SERIOUS market and need for someone that could produce a cheap lighted glass and netting or even glass-like fishing float lamp/light to hang in your tiki bar. It boggles me a bit that there is not a one Tiki Central member who produces affordable Fishing Float lights, and can ship them to your door. I realize there is a couple members that make them as expensive custom one-offs, but how many are for sale and are able to ship them safely? I'm ranting for nothing I guess, but you'd think one of the most desirable tiki bar accessories EVER would be available from somebody here on Tiki Central. Maybe Tiki Farm should produce an economical version that they could have made in China at one of their mug factories. I would definitely be up for that.

S

My parents got a couple of those for christmas last year and I remember thinking they were completely convincing. I'll have to have a look at them when I'm up there in a couple of months. You're right, there is a randomness about the flicker of the candles that the torches don't have. I remember that they were actually in a wax candle with thicker walls which diffused the light better. It's probably just a matter of some little electronic circuit gizmo in line with the LEDs. Someone will figure it out. Wish I'd payed mor attention in science class.

L

Sorry to resurrect an old post. I hope some of the tiki torches are still going strong!
I'm thinking about buying a 4-pack of Malibu Solar Tiki torches at Lowes for my backyard, and had a few questions about them:

1. Has anyone placed the torches in a partial shade, or shady area? If yes, do they still charge sufficiently to last a few hours (or at all?).
  2. Since this post is almost a year old, how have the torches held up over time?

thanks!

S

I still have the Westinghouse torches going strong. If they get a strong dose of sun they will still be flickering dimly when I get up the next morning. If they spend the day in grey gloom or in the shade they will flicker till around midnight or so, but if it's strong shade they will come on an hour or so earlier which cuts down on the night time action. Of course they have an on/off switch so you can save them till you want them.

We got a set on ebay last year and live in england(cold and wet,with very little sun!)they need plenty of light to stay flickering and still work fine ,We just got ours out of winter storage a few days ago.definately worth the money.In fact we will be out for the hukilau does anybody know if any stores in the fort lauderdale area might have some so we can get some more?

Pages: 1 2 68 replies