Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Solar Tiki Torch Lights @ Home Despot

Pages: 1 2 68 replies

L

Thanks for the replies.
I just bought 8 of the Westinghouse tiki torches on Ebay. I'm hoping the light color of the plastic will be ok, since my garden is more Japanese than Polynesian.
I looked at the Malibu torches at Lowes, and they look really nice; seems the top woven part is really bamboo. However, I didn't care for the flickering. It seems to be achieved with only two LEDs.
spy-tiki, did you ever mod them with paint? If yes, do you have any pictures of what they look like?

M

Most of mine are still going. We had a few get damaged in a wind storm, though. The plastic 'base' that goes into the ground snapped. Not sure what to use for supports now so we can get them back up and running. Any ideas?

They do need a lot of light. The couple that were in shade would barely be running an hour or so at night; the ones in sun will go most of a summer night (8+ hours).

H

Minerva, I have lost the bottoms as well. I have a lot of flower pots around the garden that are large enough for me to stick these torches in them, the soil in the pot holds these torches pretty well and they stay, I usually put them in the pots on an angle, they look pretty nice at night. I also have a few that I just stuck in some of the bushes growing around and they just stay cause they are not too heavy.

[ Edited by: hiltiki 2008-05-21 20:45 ]

M

Great idea, hiltiki. Thank you! :)

T

I've been lurking on these forums a few days, but I ran out to Lowe's yesterday and picked up a 4 pack and single of the Malibu version after reading about them here (thanks to all for the tip!) They are on sale for 44.00 for the 4 pack (singles aren't on sale and run 14.88). Every purchase over the Memorial Day weekend at Lowe's had a 10.00 off coupon (for a purchase of 50.00 or more) at the bottom of the receipt, so I used that to bag them for even less. I had originally intended to mount them such that the "head" is all that is exposed out of the ground, IE like a replacement for a low voltage tier light. But they are kind of big for that, so I used the extension poles to place them at various heights around the pool. The little plastic spike that comes with them was definitely not enough to anchor them in the clay soil we have, so I took the tip off the bottom rod extension and used a rubber mallet to drive the lowest extension about 12" into the ground.

I'm impressed with the quality of these and they do have a very convincing "flickering" to them, looks a lot like a candle. They don't put out much light as others have said, but they're great for some added ambiance.

On 2008-05-21 11:39, Minerva wrote:
Most of mine are still going. We had a few get damaged in a wind storm, though. The plastic 'base' that goes into the ground snapped. Not sure what to use for supports now so we can get them back up and running. Any ideas?

They do need a lot of light. The couple that were in shade would barely be running an hour or so at night; the ones in sun will go most of a summer night (8+ hours).

If you know who the manufacturer is, you can often contact them for replacements. Check your warranty paperwork if you still have it.

TF

Looking back to my original post will clairify this post. I am just happy to report that I am going on season three with my solar torches and they are going strong. I left them outside all winter for two years and only last winter was I forward thinking enough to take them inside. They are suprisingly durable. Maybe a bit tacky but fun all the same.

T.F.

I too removed the last two segments of tube and stuck them in the ground around the perimeter.....they are still holding up and function much better as short walkway lighting than tall torch lighting....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-06-01 08:02 ]

S

On 2008-05-16 09:06, lesterf wrote:
spy-tiki, did you ever mod them with paint? If yes, do you have any pictures of what they look like?

Aloha lesterf,

Yes I am doing them right now. I've finished the tops, but not the poles. Here's the picture on the Westinghouse box and a couple of my torches below..

I used brown spray paint from OSH and then wiped with a rag soaked in a little thinner. The pole is unpainted for comparison. It ain't art, but I think it's an improvement.

H

I just bought some solar tiki torches from OSH, for $8.95 each. The base of the torches are made of real bamboo and sharp at the very end so you can just dig them in the ground. They are advertised at this price until the 15th of August. I haven't tried them out yet, I will keep you posted if they are not working out.

L

Those are a good price, LeoChen. I like the design and use of real bamboo, too.

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2009-10-25 09:28 ]

Have you seen the next generation of Solar powered Tiki Torches?

It's a solar powered Tiki-o-lantern!
Found it at Lowes. Comes in a pack of two. One a happy face one a grimace.

Brad- Bra, those are too cool!! May have to get a set or two for around the lanai.. did you get those on the Big Island?? I'll have to check out our lowes over here..

ALoha's

Yeah, got 'em on the Big Island, a few months ago. As soon as I saw them on some one's lanai, I asked where they got em, and RAN to Lowes to get mine! Not sure if they are still in stock. Are they a seasonal item? A tiki torch only carried in summer? Or a Jack-o-lantern only carried in the fall?

While searching a discount house for some hardware I came across some solar powered tiki torches . I haven’t had very satisfactory results with many solar powered devices so against my better judgement I bought a box of two torches. They were still “flickering” at 3 am after a 3 hour charge the previous evening. These torches were sold under the “Adamax” brand and so far I’m pretty happy with em. Here’s a couple of pix taken at dusk.

On 2014-06-03 22:29, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
While searching a discount house for some hardware I came across some solar powered tiki torches . I haven’t had very satisfactory results with many solar powered devices so against my better judgement I bought a box of two torches. They were still “flickering” at 3 am after a 3 hour charge the previous evening. These torches were sold under the “Adamax” brand and so far I’m pretty happy with em. Here’s a couple of pix taken at dusk.

Can you get these online?

On 2014-06-04 19:26, EPCOTExplorer wrote:

Can you get these online?

I’ll find out asap.
Later

Thanks!

Amazon has these solar Tiki torches. I bought mine a whild back and just waiting to find out from my HOA if I can install them. Amazon also has a couple of dark versions.

http://www.amazon.com/Newhouse-Lighting-TIKILED4-Flickering-Torches/dp/B0081EP00C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402242840&sr=8-1&keywords=tiki+torch+solar

H

You can also purchase them on eBay or simply go to Home depot. I have had great luck with them. I bought some rechargeable batteries and change the batteries as needed. Some of my solar torches are at least 5 to 6 years old. I like the aged look and they keep on flickering all night long winter thru summer.

Pages: 1 2 68 replies