Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Top Ten Tiki Drinks

Pages: 1 2 54 replies

Which ten Tiki drinks are considered the best, not just by you yourself, but by Tikiites in general?

Mai Tai, Zombie, Hurricane, Fog Cutter? (does Pina Colada count as a Tiki drink?)

What else?

Is Ten enough drinks?

Recipes, books, year, author etc, would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

George

P
pablus posted on Fri, Apr 7, 2006 5:58 AM

The Captain's Grog has a special place in the hearts of many.
Martiki made one for me that was exquisite.
I believe that drink is the father to The Navy Grog of Trader Vic's.

The Test Pilot and its twin The Jet Pilot (Mai Kai).

Zombie is the baddest of them all.

And my personal favorite, Demerara Dry Float.

One day, I'll steal...I mean obtain... the Ray's Mistake recipe and share it and then THAT will be the most popular Tiki Drink. Too bad Tiki Ti doesn't franchise. :wink:

Navy Grog, 151 Swizzle

I think most people will agree the Suffering Bastard and the Missionary's Downfall would be in the top 10.

M
marika posted on Fri, Apr 7, 2006 8:21 AM

is the scorpion one of them?

maybe it should be your top ten.....then we can see the duplacates

T

On 2006-04-07 05:52, thinkingbartender wrote:
(does Pina Colada count as a Tiki drink?)

Pina Coladas, daiquiris, Mojitos, and Margaritas are four kinds of drinks that sometimes get lumped in with Tiki, but are really more associated with the Carribean or Central/South America. Not that they're bad drinks....

I'd say that the three or four posts above this one pretty much sum up the top Tikis. I'd maybe add Blue Hawaii or Blue Hawaiian (different drinks), which aren't usually such a good drink, but are sort of mandatory in a Tiki bar for the color and novelty factor.

The ultimate guids to Tiki drinks are Jeff Berry's Grog Log and Intoxica, available for like $11 each.

[ Edited by: tikibars 2006-04-07 09:29 ]

K

In addition to the above I submit the Singapore Sling and the Planter's Punch.

Ahu

H

My personal favorite top ten tiki drinks (at the moment, I'll probably change my mind by this afternoon):

Ray's Mistake
Black Magic
Sidewinder's Fang
Beachbum's Own
Reverb Crash
Navy Grog
151 Swizzle
Shark's Tooth
Blackbeard's Ghost
Starboard Light

Ten tiki drinks I think of when I think of classic tiki drinks:

Mai Tai
Zombie
Scorpion
Navy Grog
Missionary's Downfall
151 Swizzle
Planter's Punch
Blue Hawaiian
Fog Cutter
Suffering Bastard

L
Loki posted on Fri, Apr 7, 2006 12:23 PM

[ Edited by: Loki 2006-04-07 13:06 ]

T
thejab posted on Fri, Apr 7, 2006 1:14 PM

My personal top ten this minute (with best public sources):
Mai Tai ($100 Mai Tai on Beachbum Berry's site or Trader Vic's)
Test Pilot (Tiki-Ti or Jet Pilot at Mai-Kai)
Sidewinder's Fang (none, until Forbidden Island opens)
Puka Puka (Tiki-Ti)
Reverb Crash (kick_the_reverb's bar or Novato Grotto)
Navy Grog (Tiki-Ti or Mai-Kai)
Demarara Dry Float (Mai-Kai)
151 Swizzle (Mai-Kai or Tiki-Ti)
Blackbeard's Ghost (Dark Marq Room)
Zombie (Mai-Kai or Tiki-Ti)

Subject to change in 5 minutes.

[ Edited by: thejab 2006-04-07 13:16 ]

T

Respectfully, the Beachbum Berry recipes rule.

Ten's not enough. :)

I am a Painkiller FREAK. And I know a few others who are, too :lol: Actually, every single soul I've ever tried that one on went nuts for it, including people who thought they didn't like Tiki drinks. The Navy Grog seems to win people over nicely, too.

So if I may:

Mai Tai
Navy or Captain's Grog
Zombie
Painkiller
Rum Barrel
Puka Punch (Tiki Ti, recipe in Berry)
Missionary's Downfall
Fog Cutter
Sidewinder's Fang
Test Pilot

PLUS

Suffering Bastard
Blue Hawaiian
Chi Chi
Singapore Sling
Doctor Funk

For groups, a Scorpion Bowl for sure :wink:

T
thejab posted on Fri, Apr 7, 2006 2:57 PM

tikivixen, the drink at the Tiki-Ti is the Puka Puka (which is in Intoxica), not the Puka Punch. At least that is what it's called on their web site. I think the Puka Punch is a different drink martiki was making at Vic's a while back.

Count me also as a big fan of the Painkiller, especially as served at Tiki-Ti, and as made from the Grog Log.

M

I wonder how many of these drinks will end up on the menu at Forbidden Island?

Oh wait, I already know.

Gonna be a lot of happy Centralites out there based on this thread.

M

On 2006-04-07 14:57, thejab wrote:
tikivixen, the drink at the Tiki-Ti is the Puka Puka (which is in Intoxica), not the Puka Punch. At least that is what it's called on their web site. I think the Puka Punch is a different drink martiki was making at Vic's a while back.

Count me also as a big fan of the Painkiller, especially as served at Tiki-Ti, and as made from the Grog Log.

Other way around. The Puka Punch is in Intoxica, and is formerly a Tiki-Ti drink. I think it was too much trouble to keep making, so they dropped it form the menu. That's the reason they gave out the recipe. If I'm not (ray's) mistaken, that's the only known (published) Tiki-Ti recipe. Tiki Puka Puka is a Trader Vic's drink.

M

On 2006-04-07 12:02, Humuhumu wrote:
My personal favorite top ten tiki drinks (at the moment, I'll probably change my mind by this afternoon):

Ray's Mistake
Black Magic
Sidewinder's Fang
Beachbum's Own
Reverb Crash
Navy Grog
151 Swizzle
Shark's Tooth
Blackbeard's Ghost
Starboard Light

Humu's top ten is actually pretty close to my top ten as well. Interesting also that I used to serve her #'s 3,4,5,6 & 10 pretty regularly until recently!

And hopefully again quite soon.

T

Which is to say, as made by Martiki. Yuuummmmmm.

But you've pointed out something there, Jab. I'm cheating 'cause I have both Intoxica and a TikiTi menu in front of me. On the menu, it's called the Puka Puka like on the website. But in Intoxica, there's a drink called Puka Punch which they do credit to Tiki Ti.

Well...I don't know if they're the same, because dammit, I don't get to go to Tiki Ti nearly often enough!!! BUT I have made the Intoxica drink at home and I am addicted to it. So that's what I'm nominating.

Hm. Want Painkiller. Is it five o'clock yet?!

T
thejab posted on Fri, Apr 7, 2006 5:49 PM

On 2006-04-07 17:41, martiki wrote:

Other way around. The Puka Punch is in Intoxica, and is formerly a Tiki-Ti drink. I think it was too much trouble to keep making, so they dropped it form the menu. That's the reason they gave out the recipe. If I'm not (ray's) mistaken, that's the only known (published) Tiki-Ti recipe. Tiki Puka Puka is a Trader Vic's drink.

Can I call you Ray?

They list it as Puka Puka here:

http://www.tiki-ti.com/pages/alpha.html

I had one recently (last year) at Tiki-Ti.

I know that Trader Vic's has the Tiki Puka Puka as well because I had one on Monday, and you made me them before.

Not that it matters, whatever the name it tastes great!

[ Edited by: thejab 2006-04-07 17:51 ]

T

Ok plabus I'm at coon tiki, And tiki diablo comes up and wants a drink. So he asks swanky to make him one. Swanky says " I'm Having a gin and tonic John will make you a drink". I suck at making drinks. And Swanky knows this. So I reluctantly make him a drink. Lemmon slice/ appelton rum 1 shot /white rum 1/2 /shot sweet and sour 1/2 shot/ orgeat 1tsp /and ginger ale 3 shots. I gave that to him and he said it tasted just like a ray's mistake. his drink he orders all of the time. He could have been just being nice. he is a really nice guy. But make one and let me know. I've never had a ray's mistake.

H

On 2006-04-07 17:47, martiki wrote:
Humu's top ten is actually pretty close to my top ten as well. Interesting also that I used to serve her #'s 3,4,5,6 & 10 pretty regularly until recently!

I think that's no coincidence! The maker of the drink has as much to do with the quality as the recipe they're trying to work from.

well here is my top 10 in no real order. i have to say it is hard to narrow it down to 10.

captain's grog(martiki's are the best)
blackbeard's ghost
sidewinder's fang
mai tai(i really like dr z's version)
trader vic grog
zombie (the one that calls for brown sugar)
ray's mistake
queenspark swizzle
tonga punch
puka punch

thanks for the nod on your list jab! that means a lot to me!

In no particular order...

Navy Grog
Puka Punch
Mai Tai (Trader Vic)
Zombie (Intoxica)
Shark's Tooth
Reverb Crash (fresh grapefruit juice only!)
151 Swizzle

I tend to lean towards the strong ones. (And then I lean more afterwards...)

Thanks everyone for the mentions of the Reverb Crash (BTW - I add a little extra rum nowadays , no more than .25 oz each type, to adjust for my liking of stronger drinks). And yes, Fresh grapefruit juice, not from concentrate.

My top list right now, excluding my drinks (published and unpublished), and the order of locations:

Navy Grog (Grog Log, Trader Vic's)
Rum Barrel (Tiki Ti, Grog Log)
151 Swizzle (Mai Kai, Tiki Ti, Grog Log)
Zombie (Mai Kai, Tiki Ti, Intoxica)
Ooga Booga (Tiki Ti)
Puka Puka (Tiki Ti)
Puka Punch (Intoxica)
Mai Kai Barrel O' rum (Mai Kai, Taboo Table)
Painkiller (Tiki Ti, Grog Log)
Ok, I guess I can't think of any other drink that I really like, so I'll add
Mai Tai (Trader Vic's "old style"). But since I never tasted one done with real aged expensive rum, I have to put it in the bottom of my top ten.

Ran

I like how this thread has split into 'classic and legendary top ten' and 'modern individual top ten'.

There's enough overlap in the modern top tens that we could probably come up with a 'ten classics' and 'ten modern favorites' composite list.

In either/both category, a few personal faves...

The Missionary's Downfall recipe in Tiki Road Trip was provided for me by The Jab. I multiplied the recipe by a factor of eight last year, put it into a glass jug, and let it sit for three days. When I poured it over ice, the mint leaves had all but disintegrated, the honey had remained diluted and well blended (didn't separate back into a gooey mess on the bottom of the jug or anything like that) and it was the most delicious drink I have ever tried.

I am also a fan of the Tortuga as made by Trader Vic's.
I like the Grog Log version's mixer ratios, and the Trader Vics Book of Food and Drink booze ratios (and brands). So I make a hybrid of the two. They're pretty similar; same ingredients but in slightly different amounts.

The Polynesian Spell is good also if you like Gin.

And of course the house drink at Aku Hall is Pisco Sour, which I have modified EXTENSIVELY from the version published in TRT.

I also have fond memories of a big puch bowl full of Test Pilot mixed up by Pablus at Hukilau 2004. Maybe it was the environment, the company, or the aftermath, but that was a quite memorable one.

Also try this one, invented by me and DangerGirl on Easter Island in 2004: equal parts fresh pineapple juice, fresh lime juice, and Havana Club rum.
Drink in the shadow of a moai.

Actually, that last bit is good advice for ANY drink...

On 2006-04-11 12:35, tikibars wrote:
Drink in the shadow of a moai.

Actually, that last bit is good advice for ANY drink...

And if you think that the Moai is gonna tip over you, then the drink has done its purpose...
Ran

G

On 2006-04-11 12:11, kick_the_reverb wrote:
Thanks everyone for the mentions of the Reverb Crash (BTW - I add a little extra rum nowadays , no more than .25 oz each type, to adjust for my liking of stronger drinks). And yes, Fresh grapefruit juice, not from concentrate.

Just for the record, this is the way I've been mixing the Reverb Crash lately:

4oz grapefruit juice
1oz passion fruit syrup
3/4oz lime juice
1/4oz orgeat syrup
1 1/2oz light rum
1oz Myer's dark rum

I also like it a little stronger (and a little less sweet). But an excellent drink any way you shake it.

S

This is easy enough. Pull up the Grogalizer and see what I gave a "10"

Astro Aku Aku

These three are way on the sweet side...
Blue Hawaii
Blue Reef
Boo Loo

Derby Daiquiri
Krakatoa
Navy Grog
Outrigger
Shark's Tooth (Shark Bite at Mai Kai)
Test Pilot
Beachbum's Own
Heaven's Above
Surf Room Mai Tai

Add the Mai Kai Zombie, BK's Concubine and Pablus' Scorpion to the list too.

I don't know if I have a top ten at this point (I love 'em all!), but I am partial to Suffering Bastards lately. My favorite Tiki-Ti drinks are the Dr. Funk and the Bayanian. Ray's Mistake is up there and would be in my top ten were I inclined to make a list.

As for Pina Coladas being tiki drinks, I'd put them in that category. They're also great for introducing reluctant friends to the world of tiki. (Although I prefer a Chi Chi to a Pina. We used to drink those at the Tiki Ti also.)

On 2006-06-18 08:10, Chief Bartender at Brenda's Tiki Hut wrote:
As for Pina Coladas being tiki drinks, I'd put them in that category.

They're the Werewolves' Favorite!

I made myself a Painkiller last night. Definitely a top ten drink.

On 2006-04-07 10:11, KuKuAhu wrote:
...I submit the Singapore Sling

On 2006-04-07 14:32, tikivixen wrote:
...Singapore Sling

A recent discussion about Tiki drinks in the Ealoli household brought the Singapore Sling to the forefront of the discussion. That led to a bit of looking through the recipe books. That led to a poke around on the internet...... Surprise! No less that five recipes all claiming to be the 'original.' Well, five drinks later (not all at once!) and I have five new favorite drinks all with the same name.

So... I know it is not a common Tiki drink and many would say it is not even a Tiki drink, but I would like to submit the Singapore Sling for another review and possible inclusion into the "Halls of Tiki Drinks," which sounds best if you do your best deep movie announcer voice when you say "Halls of Tiki Drinks".... Mix one (or more) up and see if it doesn't get you thinking of far-away places with gentle breezes and friendly natives...... and in the process take a seat in your favorite Top-Ten list of drinks.

T
thejab posted on Thu, Aug 3, 2006 1:37 PM

I think the Singapore Sling belongs in the Top Ten Pre-Tiki Tropical Drinks list, but not in the Top Ten Tiki Drinks because it came well before Trader Vic and Don the Beachcomber. Some other possibilities: dacquiri, rum, gum, and lime, planters punch. New topic?

G
GROG posted on Thu, Aug 3, 2006 11:54 PM

Grog

1 shot rum
1 teaspoon sugar (preferably superfine)
Squeeze of lime juice
Cinnamon stick
Boiling water

Stir all ingredients, adding enough boiling water to fill mug or glass.

Navy Grog

Captains Grog

GROG not sure why, but something about these drinks really appeals to GROG.

[ Edited by: GROG 2006-08-04 00:00 ]

G

On 2006-08-03 12:56, Chip and Andy wrote:
A recent discussion about Tiki drinks in the Ealoli household brought the Singapore Sling to the forefront of the discussion. That led to a bit of looking through the recipe books. That led to a poke around on the internet...... Surprise! No less that five recipes all claiming to be the 'original.' Well, five drinks later (not all at once!) and I have five new favorite drinks all with the same name.

Of the five, which are your favorites? And can you post a link to the recipes? I must "research" this myself. Reaching for the lab coat now...

On 2006-08-05 10:44, GatorRob wrote:
Of the five, which are your favorites? And can you post a link to the recipes? I must "research" this myself. Reaching for the lab coat now...

Gator Rob, Sent you a PM....

On 2006-08-03 13:37, thejab wrote:
I think the Singapore Sling belongs in the Top Ten Pre-Tiki Tropical Drinks list, ...

I agree with the Jab... and I disagree with the Jab.... There are some that consider the Singapore Sling as the Original Tiki Drink. The complex blend of ingredients with an exotic presentation is the simplest description of many Tiki Drinks..... It is definitely a Pre-Tiki drink but not one that should be so casually dismissed in my opinion.

And, since you suggested it, can we expand the focus of the thread to include your Top-Ten Tiki Drinks as well as your Top-Ten Pre-Tiki drinks? Keeping in mind, of course, that the Pre-Tiki drinks should give you a drink geneology that generally leads to a Tiki Drink.

G

Okay, so maybe I'm a little slow, but tonight I finally discovered the immense pleasure of the Spindrift (Grog Log, 78). Wow, what a drink. First off, it's ENORMOUS! Don't have a large snifter big enough for this heavyweight, so had to split it in two. (Both halves for me of course!) I absolutely love the vanilla. And it's sufficiently strong to make it, well... sufficiently strong, if you know what I mean. Definitely makes my home bar menu and my top 10.

Gotta buy some BIG glasses now.

H

GatorRob, I was just looking at the recipe I wonder if this tastes close to Tiki Ti's "Ray's Mistake".I think I will make one and see for myself. Thanks for the tip.

G

On 2006-08-15 18:39, hiltiki wrote:
GatorRob, I was just looking at the recipe I wonder if this tastes close to Tiki Ti's "Ray's Mistake".I think I will make one and see for myself. Thanks for the tip.

I've not been to the Tiki Ti or had a Ray's Mistake (boo hoo), so I don't know first hand. But I have read somewhere else that the vanilla extract flavor may give these drinks a similar flavor. Forbidden Island also serves the Spindrift.

H

GR, I just made one and am drinking it as I post. The passion fruit flavor is a little too dominant, so I have to say it does not taste like a Ray's Mistake. However, it is a great tasting drink and I like it a lot. Real good yum!

Okay I'm dragging this topic up again to see if anyone has ever done a poll to see what the overall unofficial favorite drink of the TC ohana is?

I wanted to make a poll to this effect, but this forum doesn't allow me to embed code. So is there a "hands down" winner?

I haven't tried enough different quality drinks to have a favorite yet, but I hope that changes soon.

Re: Singapore Sling.

At the moment I am doing research (the non-sipping kind) on the Singapore Sling; and it is becoming clear to me that Raffles Hotel only started selling the pineapple juice recipe Singapore Sling in the last 70's. Before the 70's all references (i.e. 5-6) refer to the recipe as being gin, cherry brandy, benedictine, sodawater. Most of the pink recipes are for the generic Singapore Sling that was served all over Singapore, and was nothing more than a Tom Collins with Cherry Brandy.

Cheers!

George

G

I've searched around TC and found no mention of the War God, a Steve Crane Kon-Tiki drink. The recipe in Tiki Magazine, Summer 2006, p 42, courtesy of everyone's favorite tiki mixologist, Beachbum Berry, is the one I'm referring to. I first made this drink back when the magazine came out. "Oooh! Oooh! A new, er, old drink recipe!" (Think Steve Martin... "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!") After trying it, I wasn't overly impressed, but thought it had potential. My notes say "Slightly too dry - try 1/2 oz sugar syrup". Well, last weekend I decided to resurrect the War God and made the drink again, this time with the extra sugar syrup, except make that true gomme syrup, which I had just mixed up.

The results: Holy Clown Face Tiki Mug, Batman... that's REAL good. The rum is strong, but not overpowering. The falernum, grapefruit and lime flavors tantilize the tastebuds. And the Pernod whispers from the back row, "I'm here." The drink even improves somewhat as time takes its toll on the ice and the rums take a few steps back. Oh, and the gomme syrup will make it just slide down your throat.

This drink has now cracked my personal top 10 with a bullet. If you haven't tried it yet, summon the War God and let us know what you think.

[ Edited by: GatorRob 2007-02-27 15:54 ]

S

On 2007-02-27 15:50, GatorRob wrote:
I've searched around TC and found no mention of the War God, a Steve Crane Kon-Tiki drink. The recipe in Tiki Magazine, Summer 2006, p 42, courtesy of everyone's favorite tiki mixologist, Beachbum Berry, is the one I'm referring to. I first made this drink back when the magazine came out. "Oooh! Oooh! A new, er, old drink recipe!" (Think Steve Martin... "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!") After trying it, I wasn't overly impressed, but thought it had potential. My notes say "Slightly too dry - try 1/2 oz sugar syrup". Well, last weekend I decided to resurrect the War God and made the drink again, this time with the extra sugar syrup, except make that true gomme syrup, which I had just mixed up.

The results: Holy Clown Face Tiki Mug, Batman... that's REAL good. The rum is strong, but not overpowering. The falernum, grapefruit and lime flavors tantilize the tastebuds. And the Pernod whispers from the back row, "I'm here." The drink even improves somewhat as time takes its toll on the ice and the rums take a few steps back. Oh, and the gomme syrup will make it just slide down your throat.

This drink has now cracked my personal top 10 with a bullet. If you haven't tried it yet, summon the War God and let us know what you think.

[ Edited by: GatorRob 2007-02-27 15:54 ]

You are assuming we have the recipe...

G

On 2007-02-28 06:16, Swanky wrote:
You are assuming we have the recipe...

Well yes I was, but only because I didn't want to upset the gods, uh, the Bum by reprinting a recipe from his upcoming book. But I sent smoke signals his way and I now have his permission. Before we get to the recipe, here is a word from the Bum...

... it is only one of eleven "lost" Steve Crane Luau/Kon-Tiki recipes from my upcoming book, Beachbum Berry's Sippin' Safari, due out this June from SLG Publishing...

June can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned. But maybe this'll tide us over. Anyway, without further ado...

War God
1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
1/2 ounce grapefruit juice
1/2 ounce falernum syrup
1/4 ounce sugar syrup
1 ounce amber Virgin Islands rum
1 ounce dark Jamaican rum
1 ounce 151-proof Demerara rum
Dash Angostura bitters
6 drops (about 1/8 teaspoon) Herbsaint or Pernod
8 ounces (1 cup) crushed ice

Put everything in a blender, saving ice for last. Blend at high speed for no more than 5 seconds. Pour into a War God mug, adding more ice to fill.

(Remember that I used 1/2 ounce gomme syrup in mine in place of the 1/4 oz sugar, but that's just me.)

Okolemaluna!

G

Okaaay... isn't anybody going to try the War God? Or if you have, did it make your top 10? Bottom 10? Middle 50?

Phffftt! Phffftt! Hello? Is this thing on?

I would LOVE to try the War God - but grapefruit juice is a "NO-NO" with statins and BP medication.
Just my luck!

MT

Rob, I will mix one up when I get back from Las Vegas, and post the results.

By the way, where did you find the powdered gum arabic to make the gomme syrup? And did you use the same amount of powder and water that was in the article that you linked to?

I have yet to see the Rum Barrel represented on this list, so I would like to add it. I am not alone in proclaiming this a personal favorite. Among others closer to me, it is also the favorite drink of Scott, the owner of the Needham Bowl-Away, home of Tiki Bowling. This is, of course, a story for a different thread.

Pages: 1 2 54 replies