Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Top Ten Tiki Drinks

Pages: 1 2 54 replies

S

Tiki in Needham?

TIKI BOWLING??

Please go on, in another thread if necessary...

TT

Nothing like playing miniature golf on Rt. 1 in Saugus in the summer, then going over to Kowloon and having several refreshing Pi Yi's (cool pinapple mug) and a couple veggie spring rolls. I love Kowloon's Pi Yi. My head is full of magic baby.

T

Until I receive my copy of Sippin' Safari, here are my personal top ten drinks:

Ray's Mistake and any Tiki Ti drink

Any drink made by Kick the Reverb

From Jeff Berry's books:

Captain's Grog
Mai-Kai Barrel O' Rum
Lei Lani Volcano
Navy Grog
Test Pilot
Rum Barrel
Hurricane
Rangoon Gimlet
Coconaut
Maui Sunrise

[ Edited by: TikiSan 2007-06-28 13:11 ]

G

On 2007-06-06 15:10, Mai Tai wrote:
Rob, I will mix one up when I get back from Las Vegas, and post the results.

By the way, where did you find the powdered gum arabic to make the gomme syrup? And did you use the same amount of powder and water that was in the article that you linked to?

Hey, Mai Tai. Sorry, I just noticed your post. I get the gum arabic powder from a local bakery supplies store. You should be able to find it in the Bay area with no problem. Just call up the places that supply the bakeries. They will have things like supplies for making wedding cakes, etc. It comes in little bottles like large pill bottles. And, yes, I use the same proportions as in that article with great results.

G

On 2007-06-07 12:26, The Mayor Of Exotica wrote:
I have yet to see the Rum Barrel represented on this list, so I would like to add it. I am not alone in proclaiming this a personal favorite.

Also one of my favorites, but such a pain in the arse to make! 2 oz each of lime, orange AND grapefruit. That's a whole lotta citrus to squeeze for one drink! But what a mighty drink it is.

Published in Colorado, from here to you, is a recipe that you may or may not consider authentic. I've done quite a bit of research on this drink and it appears to me that the essential elements as described by others are all here. However, I know a secret is a secret and you're probably wondering how the Hell this recipe got published in some obscure recipe list found in the little southern Colorado Mountain town of Pagosa Springs. Well, I don't know? Maybe someone did a little bit too much talking one night.

RAY'S MISTAKE (from LA)

1oz lime juice,
1oz passion fruit juice
1oz sweet 'n sour
1 oz rum,
1 oz gin,
1 oz pineapple juice
1 oz coconut milk,
1 oz guava juice.
Shake vigorously, garnish with pineapple.

On 2006-08-15 18:20, GatorRob wrote:
Okay, so maybe I'm a little slow, but tonight I finally discovered the immense pleasure of the Spindrift (Grog Log, 78). Wow, what a drink. First off, it's ENORMOUS! Don't have a large snifter big enough for this heavyweight, so had to split it in two. (Both halves for me of course!) I absolutely love the vanilla. And it's sufficiently strong to make it, well... sufficiently strong, if you know what I mean. Definitely makes my home bar menu and my top 10.

Gotta buy some BIG glasses now.

The Spindrift gets a lot of attention on T.C., and for good reason. As a fledgling mixologist, I've been through a few phases: Navy Grogs, Zombies, Missionary's Downfall, etc. The great thing about aformentioned drinks is the variation in "official" recipes; everybody has an opinion on how it should be done. This makes for a great time trying different approaches. However, the Spindrift came along later for me, it was a recipe I avoided for a long time because it read like it had way too much juice (3 ounces of O.J. scared me, I hate drinks with O.J.). I must say, Beachbum Berry, hats off for adapting a junky T.V. recipe and making it into the best example of a tropical drink there could be. There was no reason for me to tinker with mixing a Rum Pot or a Foul Weather, I knew perfection when I tasted it. If I wanted to serve a tropical to someone who hated Tropicals in hopes of giving them a reason to think differently, I would serve them a Spindrift. If they still weren't convinced, I could probably attempt to brainwash or hypnotize said subject with great ease given the large amount of rum they had just consumed. Two of these gives me a hangover.

I like to pour them into Crate And Barrel stemless wine glasses, which resemble large snifters with no foot, if you haven't seem 'em.

Pages: 1 2 54 replies