Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

PHOTOS! Too much fun! TC gathering at Trader Vic's Scottsdale Aug 3rd-6th

Pages: 1 2 3 126 replies

Yes, a fun time was had by all last night! First of all, dinner at Trader Vic's was INCREDIBLE! The service was impeccable and the food was amazing! I absolutely recommend it to anyone. Oh, and the Mai Tai's... I was blown away. Utterly delicious.

Then, just as we were leaving, I stepped into the bar to get change for the valet, and I heard a chorus of "CHRIS!!!!" So instead of walking out the door, Becca and I spent another hour and a half sitting and chatting with the early arrivals for this weekends event. It was a real blast! Our friend Shannon showed up, and shortly thereafter we headed over to Drift, where I partook in an "Evil Bastard" and said many inappropriate things. But it wasn't me, it was just the 5 drinks I had had by that point;-)

It was terrific to finally meet some other Tiki people. I'm hoping we can join up for a little while tonight, before heading home to Tucson.

It's check out time at the hotel soon, so I had better run!

Chris

BM

ummm...this is kinda late notice but my wife wasn't aware this was a fixed setting & invited a couple of friends of ours...for 7:30...YIKES!! Is is possible to squeeze a couple more in or is that uncool?
Also am bringing a tiki relic picture book of the past ...if anyone else wants to bring a treasured item it would make ME feel less stoopid & might help those of us who are less familiar get to know each other...

Also...is it bad form to bring my carving brochures? they're ALL I HAVE to show I carve --plus the painting stuff I do. It might seem a little mercenary so I'm askin'.......

aloha bb.....

Sure! there's always room for a few more friends! Happy to hear that you guys are going to make it! That's great! So, bring your friends...we'll deal with the seating arrangements when we get there.

and by all means....bring your book and your stuff!! We wanna see it all, and who knows, you may even sell some tiki's 2night....just look for us and our travelin' tiki (a distant relative of the roaming gnome)in the bar at about 6:30 or drop by our pre-party in one of the cabana suites on the left side of the pool....just listen for the sounds of exotica and the scent of fine rum wafting through the air....

and oh yea, if all that fails, listen for the WooooooHooooooo!!!

Malaho cuz....we'll see you there :)

tiki-t & b-boyd

p.s.cool that you are an artist....we'll have quite a few with us 2night and are looking forward to putting together a tiki art show in OCTOBER...always looking for good folks to add to the show :).

[ Edited by: tiki-tina 2006-08-05 11:14 ]

Mucho Mahalos to Tiki-Tina and Bamboo Boyd for taking the time to plan such a Tiki-rrific Weekend. From the minute we arrived Thursday Morning, until the second we boarded the plane today, the Fun NEVER Stopped. Scottsdale's Tiki Factor is definitely a 10 :)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-08-06 20:02 ]

I wasn't able to make all of it, but what I was there for was a TOTAL blast! It was a great time meeting all of you, and I can't wait to get together again.

However, I KNOW there are lots more pictures to share, so come on folks! Post away! :D

Chris

Whew! What a weekend! All I can say is thank God for good eats, good friends, and Dr. Z's hangover remedy! Wow! This was an amazing weekend and kudos to Tiki-Tina for pulling all the right tiki strings to make this party dance. And also to Soccer Tiki and WooHoo Wahine for being such gracious room hosts, DJ's, and bartenders. Those were some awesome Soccertini's. We also have to give a shout out and a big Aloha to all the staff from TV's Scottsdale and the Valley Ho. They were most gracious in hosting us for the weekend, and I hear we're even invited back!!! One last thank you to all of the fellow TCer's who came out and made this an awesome weekend. Without you guys it wouldn't have happened. Can I get a WoooooHooooo???

Okay, so now on to the pictures and the narration. I'll warn everyone now this is going to be a very long and image heavy thread, so please bear with me and by the time we're through, if you didn't make it out, I guarantee you'll feel as if you were here! Also, please help me out with some of the names I either didn't get or might have misspelled. I usually do pretty well with names, but there was a LOT of rum flowing this weekend. :drink: :blush: One last thing, There is one picture here of a semi-nude hula dancer painting from the Bikini Lounge. Just letting you know before you get to there in case you need to hide prying eyes :wink: Okay...Here goes!

Friday night started at Drift with pupu platters and drinks.
ltr:WooHoo Wahine, Becca (with Kona Chris), Kona Chris, Soccer Tiki.

While at a local thrift store a few months ago Tiki Tina and I found this really cool carved tiki from Tonga. We named the tiki the "Traveling Tiki" after the roaming gnome and so the Traveling Tiki now goes with us to all of our events and has become quite the center of attention. No comments about his phallic stature please. :o Actually he's a bit tipsy and doesn't like to stand up very straight and he falls over quite easily, much like me after a few too many Mai tais. But it's nothing a little sandpaper on the base can't fix.

Traveling Tiki with the daytripper at Drift:

Soccer Tiki and WooHoo Wahine at Drift:

Traveling Tiki with the Moai from Drift:

Becca and Kona Chris at Drift:

The whole gang at Drift including Molly the coolest hostess in town!
ltr: Molly from Drift, Becca, Kona Chris, Randi (Mrs. Tiki Fink), Steve (Tiki Fink), Tiki Tina, Bamboo Boyd, Woohoo Wahine, and Soccer Tiki.

After we left Drift, Tiki Tina had arranged for the Tikimobile to pick us up and take us around for an awesome night on the town. First stop was the First Fridays Artwalk where we took in quite a few art galleries before ending up at the Bikini Lounge.

The Tikimobile:

The Bikini Lounge Sign:

The notorious painting behind the bar.

Cousin Dave met us at the Bikini Lounge.
ltr: Bamboo Boyd, Cousin Dave, WooHoo Wahine, Soccer Tiki, Tiki Tina.

From the Bikini Lounge, we boarded the Tikimobile and were off for a crazy night of karaoke.

Soccer Tiki Rockin' the mic.

Tiki Fink taking his turn on the mic.

Next up...Bamboo Boyd.

Tiki Fink with the Traveling Tiki.

The Tikimobile ready to take us back to the hotel.

Saturday was pretty much spent lounging around the pool hotel and having fun in the sun.

Here's a picture of the Traveling Tiki in front of the hotel sign.

Saturday night we had an awesome dinner at Trader Vics Scottsdale. About an hour before dinner, we all met at Soccer Tiki and WooHoo Wahine's room for drinks before heading over.

ltr: Tiki Kate, Al-ii, Tiki Fink, Randi (Mrs. Tiki Fink), in the background, Bamboo Boyd and Mark (Mr. Cheeky-Half) from Tucson, Ellis (Mr. Cheeky's son), Maggie (Cheeky Half) and WooHoo Wahine.

Everyone in front of Trader Vic's before dinner.
ltr. front row-Randi, Tiki Fink, Al-ii, Tiki Kate. Second Row ltr-Soccer Tiki, Cousin Dave, Woohoo Wahine, Bamboo Boyd, Tiki Tina, Maggie (Cheeky Half), Mark (Mr. Cheeky Half), and Ellis

Tiki at front door to Trader Vic's.

Traveling Tiki met a new wahine today named Alana.

Traveling Tiki and Alana on their first date:

Soccer Tiki and WooHoo Wahine at Trader Vic's.

Al-ii and Tiki Kate.

Soccer Tiki, Mike the maitre d' and WooHoo Wahine

Soccer Tiki, WooHoo Wahine, Al-ii

Ellis, Randi's Brother, Tiki-Fink.

Cousin Dave, Maggie, Mark, Ellis

I hope I get this one right...Lovevw181, Tiki Tina, guest of Lovevw181, Cousin Dave. (Please help with names)

Soccer Tiki, Bamboo Boyd, WooHoo Wahine.

BB Moondog (Bruce), Mrs. BB Moondog (Lori), and guests (help me with names please)

After our wonderful dinner at Trader Vic's we were going to go out dancing to a nice little club across the street, however, Soccer Tiki mentioned something about mixing up some more of his SoccerTini's and we never made it.

Soccer Tiki sporting his new Bikini Lounge Tee and his famous SoccerTini.

Mark (pretending to have had one too many) and Traveling Tiki.

Mark, WooHoo Wahine, and Cousin Dave.

Mark, Maggie, and WooHoo Wahine.

And finally, this last picture pretty much sums up the whole weekend. I like to call it, "The great one falls to his own concoction".

Again, many thanks to all who made this weekend possible. It was a blast. I apologize if I misspelled any names or didn't get them at all. Please don't take it personally. Just shoot me a PM and I'll edit as needed.

WOOOOHOOO! Hey Bamboo Boyd looking at the pics you posted EXHAUSTED me even after getting 9 hours of sleep :) Beware & Be Prepared Soccertiki has even more pics to post.

BM

as do I...good times, great rummies! Also, apologies to the second table for dumping the white wine; like you said, it ain't a party 'til a drink gets spilled...

On 2006-08-07 01:01, Bamboo Boyd wrote:
.........And finally, this last picture pretty much sums up the whole weekend. I like to call it, "The great one falls to his own concoction".

This is the before...."Get me a drink!!!!" picture:

The room....

The Parties....Drift, Bikini Bar, Trader Vic's...coming soon!

More Pics.......

Mr cheeky half and I would like to thank Tiki Tina and the BBoyd for putting together a fabulous weekend. Soccer and Woohoo ...... well, our livers may never forgive us or you. It was great gathering of excellent tiki folk.

Here are some pics that we had from the weekend. We were only there one night, but there was a lot going on.

We took Ellis (Mark's son) with us.

Checked into the Valley Ho. It looked like it was gonna be a pretty classy place.

Met everyone.

Went to Trader Vic's. The drinks were expensive, but it's ok because they were pretty big.

.....and pretty strong......

.... a little too strong......

Then we went back to the hotel where Woohoo and Tina got into some kind of argument about west coast vs not-so-west-coast tiki.

Then Bamboo Boyd started choking on a lime wedge and Soccer had to help dislodge it.

Mark had fallen asleep by this point.

So we called it a night.

The next morning was not that pretty.

OMG Cheeky! That was tooooooo funny!

TF

Finally settled back in from this wonderful weekend.

Special thanks to Tina and Boyd for the inspiration and all of the details!

Lots of love to our new friends. Hope to see everyone again soon, where ever it may be.

I will post some of my pics as soon as I get a little more time.

T.F.

I am sorry I did not meet anyone. I arrived after dinner service at Sol y Sombra by about 11:00 PM on Saturday night, and Mike Awizawa told me I missed the group by about 30 minutes. I went to Drift assuming that everybody would go there. The typical frat party was full-on, and no Tiki people.

I went back to the Valley Ho, and attempted to ring up Cheeky Half but she was not registered. I then had the desk call up to Tiki Tina's room, but the elusive band of TCers were nowhere to be found. I finally decided to head back to my domicile with my three bottles of Havana Club, and drink a toast to my lost elusive homeys.

Perhaps next time...hell, I may open a tiki bar myself just to get you guys back here.

heres my image stuff--tried to Photoshop so you can see some of the restaurant...
maybe the more ASTUTE members of this particular EXPEDITION will begin to notice SIMILARITIES
in all these collections ..hence the GREAT REBUTTAL collection of cheeky half makes PERFECT SENSE
...but every collection has its masterpiece and I believe mine is the Woohoos reaction to the SUCKING CONTEST going on before her very eyes

also the look of FEAR when my wife Lori is told of the 'special secret' of the Tonga tiki..

TF

As I promised, here are some more pics of out fab weekend in Scottsdale.

The Tiki riffic Drift with Woohoo and Tiki Togo

Here we are going nuts already at Drift.

A real Tiki Gem! The Bikini. Tiki Fink's kinda place!

The evening continues inside!!!!

That is the good stuff from a Fink's eve view.

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2006-08-09 18:37 ]

We are really glad to have had a chance to meet Mr and Mrs Fink. They are good people, I'm sorry we didn't have time to hang out on Sunday. Cousin Dave is also a wonderful dinner companion and as they say on Ebay - highly recommended.

Captions please! I'd like to put names with these faces

On 2006-08-09 21:25, Tikiwahine wrote:
Captions please! I'd like to put names with these faces

Tikiwahine, scroll down about half way on page 7 and you'll see my list of pictures. I did my best to include screen names with real names.

my bad, thanks boyd!

Aloha to all the PHX ohana who shared in the good time at TV's....

Who's game for another fun get-together at the BIKINI? Start chimin' in with possible days/times that will work best for you and then we can nail down a specific date/time.

I know you can't wait for those $3 pitchers!!!!

~~Cousin Dave

I would be there if I could. I really dig that place!!

T.F.

Just wanted to say that it was so great to see and meet everyone!!! Myself, Anthony (my fiancee) and our friends Steve and Nicole had the best time at Trader Vic's!!!!! I could not have asked for better food, drink or conversation!!!!!!! I look forward to meeting up with everyone again at the Bikini some time. The 4 of us are almost always there every Friday around 7ish, with the exception of first friday (too busy for us). I spoke to Mary one of the owners of the Bikini and she said that the next time a group of Tcers want top hang out at the bar she would like to meet them and will give a low down on the history of the bar. Richard is the other owner of the Bikini, and both he and Mary are wonderful people! I am trying to talk them into doing tiki mugs. Got to convince Richard though. So we will see. I will keep you guys posted.

On 2006-08-14 12:02, Cousin Dave wrote:
Aloha to all the PHX ohana who shared in the good time at TV's....

Who's game for another fun get-together at the BIKINI? Start chimin' in with possible days/times that will work best for you and then we can nail down a specific date/time.

I know you can't wait for those $3 pitchers!!!!

~~Cousin Dave

Hey Cousin Dave,
Tiki-Tina and I are up for another get together. This weekend's out, but maybe we can set something up in the next few coming weeks. I'll check with her and one of us will get back with you!

WoooHooooo! When's the next Scottsdale crawl??? We can't wait to come back to visit our Arizona Ohana :)

Yabba Dabba Dooooo!!!!!!!!!

I hear the bedrock is rumblin' down ole' mennuhnie way... So WooHoo, are you and SoccerTiki coming out for the Luau at Ernie Mennehuniville? :) PM us and let us know. I think Tiki_Tina's got room rates already. What a doll!

Feast your eyes upon my Deseret Industries (Mesa) finds--this is ONE TRIP--$3.50 spent--aMAZING.

I need someone who is going to the Menehune event ( I probably won't but COULD be persuaded...) to take these albums & get them signed for me--MAJOR score!

[ Edited by: bb moondog 2006-08-25 22:19 ]

Any thoughts of a TV's Scottsdale 2nd Annual Get Together??

On 2011-07-12 15:41, JenTiki wrote:
This just in from the Trader Vic's Scottsdale Facebook page:

We regretfully announce that after dinner on Saturday, July 30, we will no longer be in operation. Please come and visit us before then! Stay tuned for an exciting new dining concept from Hotel Valley Ho; details will be announced soon.

RIP Trader Vic's Scottsdale! We barely knew you, but happy to have partied with you while we had the chance!

On 2011-07-12 16:40, tiki-tina wrote:

On 2011-07-12 15:41, JenTiki wrote:
This just in from the Trader Vic's Scottsdale Facebook page:

We regretfully announce that after dinner on Saturday, July 30, we will no longer be in operation. Please come and visit us before then! Stay tuned for an exciting new dining concept from Hotel Valley Ho; details will be announced soon.

RIP Trader Vic's Scottsdale! We barely knew you, but happy to have partied with you while we had the chance!

BooHooo!!! :(

Pages: 1 2 3 126 replies