Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Oasis 6 Munktiki Mug Deal

Pages: 1 2 57 replies

M

Well, this mug was at the top of my list of things I had to have from Oasis 6. Despite getting in line a full half hour before it was scheduled to go on sale, it still sold out before I was able to buy one. I was shocked that they ran out so quickly.

If there's anyone reading this that would be willing to part with one of your extras I would make it well worth it for you. I have a long list of new and/or vintage mugs I could trade or will pay cash (name your price). One of the trade items I could offer is the really cool and recently sold out Munktiki Trader Morts Mug. I don't mind if you get the best end of this deal I just want that damn Oasis mug. It is really well done and a great souvenir of the Hanalei. Please feel free to contact me via PM, email, or in this thread. I'm sure I can come up with a deal that will make us both happy. Thanks!

ModMana :drink:

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict a "Mug scalper" will have one on Ebay within 24 hours....

TD

Question ? when is oasis 6?

It was this weekend in San diego county

Amy

K

does anyone have some pictures they could post of the mugs from Oasis 6.

I feel yer pain ModMana. I too wanted a Tiki Oasis 6 mug and made a concerted effort to pull myself away from my afternoon nap/stupor to haul ass down to the Tiki News vending booth well ahead of the appointed sale time (7 PM) only to be informed that I missed the last mug by about 1/2 an hour! Next year I'll know better than to believe the bullshit that's written in the program. I hate to resort to ticket scalper tactics, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

H

On 2006-05-08 06:42, kbgator wrote:
does anyone have some pictures they could post of the mugs from Oasis 6.

There are some photos over in a thread you started here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19353&forum=5&13

P

Yeah, that whole thing with the TO6 mugs was incredibly weak. Sold out 15 minutes before they were going to go on sale? If there is going to be such a limited quantity then there should be a one per person limit. I am really disappointed in Munktiki and Tiki News for managing that whole thing so badly.

M

The worst part is knowing that many of these mugs were obtained for folks who did not attend the event.

One per person for the first hour.

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, May 9, 2006 2:13 PM

"The worst part is knowing that many of these mugs were obtained for folks who did not attend the event."

I can think of that as only a good thing. Not everyone can go to this event or live in Californa. If your going to own every Munktiki mug made and you are not going, you are still going to want this mug. And if you get the mug (and hopefully off Ebay) then you are just as died hard lover as going to the event. Its the fun of tracking them down.

And if you were at the event then you bring home with you good times and that worth more than the mugs anyways.

T
teaKEY posted on Tue, May 9, 2006 2:15 PM

But yeah, selling mugs before the sale time is a bad pratice and I know I would be bummed out. :(

M

Its too bad that the folks who wanted one and were actually THERE couldnt get one.

Regardless of the reason.

[ Edited by: monkeyman 2006-05-09 14:38 ]

On 2006-05-09 13:28, PiPhiRho wrote:
Yeah, that whole thing with the TO6 mugs was incredibly weak. Sold out 15 minutes before they were going to go on sale? If there is going to be such a limited quantity then there should be a one per person limit. I am really disappointed in Munktiki and Tiki News for managing that whole thing so badly.

We had no say in the actual selling of the mugs. We brought the mugs down and Otto Sold them.

-stuckie

T

On 2006-05-09 14:15, teaKEY wrote:
But yeah, selling mugs before the sale time is a bad pratice and I know I would be bummed out. :(

The time in the program said the mugs were going on sale at 7, and they weren't actually being sold before 7. People were lining up early though. My wife and I came down at 6:30 and we realized the line for the mugs was already long, so we got in the mug line before getting seats. Even then, we were like 90 on the list. There WAS a guy that kept tally of how many people were in line, and how many mugs they were buying. I thought that was nice, since people were being told in advance what their chances were of getting a mug.

I joined the line for the Event mug at 6:20 pm, 40 minutes before they went on sale. Already the line wrapped around the center portion of the vendors and was still growing. A few minutes later a guy with a clipboard came around asking how many mugs we wanted. He said that we were coming down to last remaining ones, and he couldn't actually confirm we would get a mug, but was taking a count. I was marked as number 81 or 83. When the two people behind me added their order to the list, the order taker was very honest and informed the remaining persons in line that their chances weren't good, but to remain in line "just in case" his tally wasn't correct. In just a few minutes, we noticed they started selling the mugs, and the line started advancing to the front. We all held our breath as we saw single purchasers leave with two mugs, and couples taking away 4 mugs. (There was a limit of 2 mugs per person, but that didn't mean you HAD to.) If all mugs had been accounted for by 6:35 pm, then it would make sense to start taking money, whether it was 7:00pm or not. The show had already started as we moved to the cashier, and I paid my $50.00, and purchased the second to last mug.

It would make more sense to me to create many more mugs for an Event like this. Everyone in TC wants an Event Mug! I am not sure if historical data shows that each event ends up with a surplus of mugs, thus they cut the number created, or if there just wasn't enough time to produce more. Naturally, a portion of the mugs are doled out to sponsors and producers, leaving less for purchase. I feel very fortunate that I got in line when I did.

The mug is awesome, Munktiki!

• Myke

Yes it's hard to be perfect... OK impossible in my book .While it is Otto's thing we did talk about it after the sell and next year it will most likely be one mug per person. We also talked over some different methods to sell them , such as a lotto system , but any way you do it I think there will always be some disappointed people. Tiki Oasis was a blast once again and I'll be there next year for more fun.
Cheers
Paul

How bout trying to make More freakin mugs? You ever think of that? I am a freakin genius!! Kids in strollers counted as paying customers. Whatever. Why did I have to pay for admission to a show to find out I couldn't get a mug? Me and my friends hurried through dinner at the Islands restaurant to try to get mugs I wished didn't even bother. That was a pretty big disappointment in my book - but I am over it now.

EEEEeeeeeeAAAAaaaaaaOOOOooooooWWWWWwwwwWWWw

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2006-05-09 21:34 ]

On 2006-05-09 14:44, stuckieshaft wrote:

We had no say in the actual selling of the mugs. We brought the mugs down and Otto Sold them.

-stuckie

I was going to make this point for you Stuckie. Good talking to your Moms and Pops.

...I am really disappointed in Munktiki and Tiki News for managing that whole thing so badly.

Hey PiPhiRho, Paul and Stuckie just made the beautiful mugs. Lets direct any issues with how they were sold to The Great Decider.

The only two mugs I really wanted were a Munktiki Trader Mort's and a commemorative Oasis6 mug. I went home with neither after spending every single day and plenty of hard earned loot supporting the Oasis.

Bummer for me. Yes, part of the problem was fellow attendees gleefully embracing the opportunity to buy TWO mugs knowing there were simply not enough to go around. Knowing they would keep one and e-bay or trade the other while unfortunate Ohana further back in line would more than likely be "shit out of luck", didn't seem to register. Hearing now that some of the event mugs were sold to people who didn't even attend really burns my biscuits. Hey, I live here fer cryin' out loud!

I think in the future every EVENT TICKET should be redeemable for an opportunity to purchase ONE event mug.

One ticket per person, one mug per person. Pretty simple. If you just glide in for the free stuff with enough bread to fill your car with carvings, lithos and bar ware but won't even spend the $18 to go to the years most kick ass private party at the Bali Hai, too bad. No mug for you.

This would reward people who financially support the Oasis by attending the paid admission performances.

Using the wisdom of Oasis6 mug distribution as an example, perhaps next year I will make an alternative event mug that will be inequitably sold only to people with the following So-Cal area codes...

92101, 92102, 92103, 92104, 92105, 92106, 92107, 92108, 92109, 92110, 92111, 92112, 92113, 92114, 92115, 92116, 92117, 92118, 92119, 92120, 92121, 92122, 92123, 92124, 92126, 92127, 92128, 92129, 92130, 92131, 92132, 92133, 92134, 92135, 92136, 92137, 92138, 92139, 92140, 92142, 92143, 92145, 92147, 92149, 92150, 92152, 92153, 92154, 92155, 92158, 92159, 92160, 92161, 92162, 92163, 92164, 92165, 92166, 92167, 92168, 92169, 92170, 92171, 92172, 92173, 92174, 92175, 92176, 92177, 92178, 92179, 92182, 92184, 92186, 92187, 92190, 92191, 92192, 92193, 92194, 92195, 92196, 92197, 92198, 92199 & 91932 (IBISOK)

OK, so I withdraw my disappointment in Munktiki, but not in TIki News.

That said, I have to question this whole limited-edition-itis that has been so prevalent lately. This was an event that was being attended by far more than 100 people, many of whom are mug collectors. Those that had their kids in stollers buying two mugs each were getting them so that they could put them on ebay and make a profit. The price of the mugs would still have been $50 if there were 200 or 300 mugs made. Limiting it to 100 only makes them more valuable in the after maret. Good for non-collectors who want to make a profit from ebay sales, bad for the rest of us who are collectors and are already spending too much money on mugs. SO if I am going to wag my finger at Munktiki for anything, it is going to be for going overboard on the limited edition thing. There was no need for that here.

Well, the money I saved by not getting a mug allowed me to buy a Kirby painting, so it's not all bad.

I imagine that Munktiki would love to be able to make more than 100 mugs, but it may just simply not be practical.

Mug molds crap out after about 100 - 150 mugs are made -- after that, the mugs look like total crap (and it would be a terrible shame if Munktiki started to let crap mugs go out under their name in the interest of making a quick buck -- I don't think that's likely to happen). The only way more than 100-150 mugs can be made is if a master mold is made.

That means that each of the mold pieces needs to have their own mold created, exponentially increasing the time and cost of the creation of the mug mold. It ain't straightforward, and isn't worth doing unless you're planning on many hundreds of mugs.

Plus, Munktiki has an excellent track record of actually getting the mugs done in time for the event. How many times have event mugs had to be purchased on back-order, only to arrive a half-year later? That totally blows, and kills the enthusiasm for the whole idea of an event mug -- the Munktiki guys aren't into jerking people around. Adding in extra time to create a master mold might have meant they couldn't have fit the mug into their production schedule at all.

Yeah , I agree with Humuhumu .

T

On 2006-05-09 15:23, tikiwinebear wrote:

It would make more sense to me to create many more mugs for an Event like this. Everyone in TC wants an Event Mug! I am not sure if historical data shows that each event ends up with a surplus of mugs, thus they cut the number created, or if there just wasn't enough time to produce more.

In addition to what Humuhumu just said about edition sizes, I remember Otto sending out an email right after last year's Oasis saying he had some extra mugs left over. Does anyone else remember that? I'm just thinking that maybe the edition size is kept small to keep Otto et al from getting stuck with a ton of unpurchased mugs. At least traditionally. Maybe there were more attendees this year, creating a bigger demand than last.
As if that weren't enough, here's the unfortunate result:
http://cgi.ebay.com/TIKI-OASIS-6-ltd-edition-mug-by-MUNKTIKI-21-100_W0QQitemZ7766196945QQcategoryZ29460QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[ Edited by: TikiJosh 2006-05-10 14:49 ]

K

I also agree with Humuhumu. But maybe there is a way to make more than one event mug. Maybe Paul and Stuckie can each come up with a design and see which one reigns supreme designer. It also sounds to me that even 200 mugs might not have matter either if each person was buying a pair.
I am now very afraid that I will have no shot in obtaining the new Tiki Central mug. I might have pony up the money to become a grand member and then still not get one.
Again I believe that Munktiki are best right now at what they do. But maybe we still need a few more producers to spread the demand of obtaining mugs.

Also there is a mug up on ebay right now. So go ahead bid high and often.

K

I also remember that story as well that he had left overs from last year, but I did get an email from him saying that they indeed sell out last year. Or maybe he is holding a few for himself. Hey the perks of putting on an event like this is worth somekind of reward.

On 2006-05-10 12:57, Man from Munkle wrote:

Gee whiz, I didn't see that coming!

BTW, Paul it was wonderful meeting you. I went back with more cash on Sunday for my monkey mug and you were long gone. I love my Medium coconut! I hope The Great Decider gives you a more prominent space next year. I think A-listers like Munktiki should have first dibs on the best spots. Inside the big tent would have been cool. You guys were kinda lost back in that corner behind the booths.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2006-05-10 15:11 ]

Munktiki IS art. That will always be a fact in my book. I've gotten mugs from events in the past from a lot of great people here, but ALWAYS as a trade. I've also always done the same for others. Infact, I've let a lot of pieces of my own collection go to newer lovers of Tiki Mugs. If not in trade, for what that mug cost me the day I bought it. Now, if this offends anyone, sorry...BUT..I think to go and pick up an extra mug and then have it 3 days later on EBAY is CRAP. I know there are a lot of quality folks on this site who would make a great trade for it or even throw a few bones past what a mug cost originally. I guess I'm sick of friggen "headhunters" out there. Hey, I've let some of my own Munktiki go on EBAY from time to time. BUT PLEASE!!!! I know I refuse to bid on this auction and I would hope that more people would take a stand as well. ( For the record, no I'm not trying to get an Oasis 6 mug....I'm quite happy with my recent Trader Mort!) OK, my rant is over. Please have a nice day!

On 2006-05-10 15:10, hodadhank wrote:

On 2006-05-10 12:57, Man from Munkle wrote:

Gee whiz, I didn't see that coming!

BTW, Paul it was wonderful meeting you. I went back with more cash on Sunday for my monkey mug and you were long gone. I love my Medium coconut! I hope The Great Decider gives you a more prominent space next year. I think A-listers like Munktiki should have first dibs on the best spots. Inside the big tent would have been cool. You guys were kinda lost back in that corner behind the booths.

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2006-05-10 15:11 ]

I didn't think I'd be in the last room all by myself but I did choose to be in one of the rooms. The space didn't turn out to be what I thought it would be so next year I'm going to move to a better location.... no problems. We never vend but the one day so ya gotta see us on Saturday . It was great to meet you also and the Coconut Monkeys will be on our website in a week or so, plus they are not Limited Editions .
Paul

P

Munktiki IS art. That will always be a fact in my book. I've gotten mugs from events in the past from a lot of great people here, but ALWAYS as a trade. I've also always done the same for others. Infact, I've let a lot of pieces of my own collection go to newer lovers of Tiki Mugs. If not in trade, for what that mug cost me the day I bought it. Now, if this offends anyone, sorry...BUT..I think to go and pick up an extra mug and then have it 3 days later on EBAY is CRAP. I know there are a lot of quality folks on this site who would make a great trade for it or even throw a few bones past what a mug cost originally. I guess I'm sick of friggen "headhunters" out there. Hey, I've let some of my own Munktiki go on EBAY from time to time. BUT PLEASE!!!! I know I refuse to bid on this auction and I would hope that more people would take a stand as well. ( For the record, no I'm not trying to get an Oasis 6 mug....I'm quite happy with my recent Trader Mort!) OK, my rant is over. Please have a nice day!

what will you take in trade for the trader morts?

;-P

K

Adding to the pile on.....
Is there any truth to the rumor I heard that 15 of the oasis 6 mugs went to the vendors at the event and only 85 mugs were available to be sold to the rest of us?
Also I am in agreement that it was very manipulative to require one to purchase the Show Entrance fee just as a pre-requisite to stand in line.
And bring back Palm Springs!

We managed to get a mug, but no thanks to me. I saw the huge line and decided instead to make a beeline to the nearest bar. But thanks to the wahine, she made us stand there 45 min before they were supposed to go on sale. What a wonderful woman!

I suppose it was a bit unfair to take names before the selling time of 7:00. But I think the best option is to make a mug for every ticket sold. It may bring down the rarity of the mug somewhat, but at least the ohana would be happy.

I was frustrated as well. I was about 10 people back when they ran out, and it was a high priority for me. This was my first Tiki Central event, and I came all the way from Maine. I was hoping to at least get one.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the event and had a great time.

I just think that perhaps next time a different system so that more individuals can end up with one.

Live and learn.

--SBiM

T

I didn't think I'd be in the last room all by myself but I did choose to be in one of the rooms. The space didn't turn out to be what I thought it would be so next year I'm going to move to a better location.... no problems. We never vend but the one day so ya gotta see us on Saturday . It was great to meet you also and the Coconut Monkeys will be on our website in a week or so, plus they are not Limited Editions .
Paul

I'm glad I got a monkey on saturday because I went back sunday and poof! Gone like black magic. Hey Paul where was the vending machine this year? I love that thing.

M

Here's a suggestion for selling the Tiki Oasis 7 mugs next year which might help to avoid some of the issues that caused a lot of disappointment this year...

If the Tiki Oasis event tickets are all being sold online in advance (as they were this year), why not add an option to the web order form for purchasing a mug (or mugs)? Show a prototype or rendering of the mug. Set a well publicized cut off date for ordering the mugs to give the manufacturer plenty of time to produce the edition. After the due date passes, the edition size is frozen.

These are some of the benefits of this ordering method:

• All attendees who want mugs will have had an opportunity to purchase them.
  • Tiki News will not have to collect any money in person for the mugs.
  • Tiki News could distribute the mugs when wrist bands are issued.
  • Attendees will not have to wait in long lines during the entertainment.
  • Eliminates any stress about obtaining these great souvenirs.
  • Can pay for the mugs with a credit card, instead of cash only.
  • Organizers will know in advance exactly how many mugs to produce to meet demand.
  • If people buy extras mugs, its not at the loss of other attendees.
  • No disappointment.

By the way, I personally have nothing but great respect and admiration for everyone at Munktiki. They always deliver a kick ass product, probably under very tight deadlines. I also don't blame Tiki News for the confusion and fiasco surrounding this one small part of the Oasis event. I know it must be extremely difficult to pull this event off. However, it never hurts to refine the process and learn from the past to improve everyone's experience. I hope this suggestion is not misinterpreted as a complaint. I love Oasis and look forward to #7. Hopefully I'll get a mug next year.

On 2006-05-12 01:06, ModMana wrote:
Here's a suggestion for selling the Tiki Oasis 7 mugs next year which might help to avoid some of the issues that caused a lot of disappointment this year...

If the Tiki Oasis event tickets are all being sold online in advance (as they were this year), why not add an option to the web order form for purchasing a mug (or mugs)? Show a prototype or rendering of the mug. Set a well publicized cut off date for ordering the mugs to give the manufacturer plenty of time to produce the edition. After the due date passes, the edition size is frozen.

These are some of the benefits of this ordering method:

• All attendees who want mugs will have had an opportunity to purchase them.
  • Tiki News will not have to collect any money in person for the mugs.
  • Tiki News could distribute the mugs when wrist bands are issued.
  • Attendees will not have to wait in long lines during the entertainment.
  • Eliminates any stress about obtaining these great souvenirs.
  • Can pay for the mugs with a credit card, instead of cash only.
  • Organizers will know in advance exactly how many mugs to produce to meet demand.
  • If people buy extras mugs, its not at the loss of other attendees.
  • No disappointment.

By the way, I personally have nothing but great respect and admiration for everyone at Munktiki. They always deliver a kick ass product, probably under very tight deadlines. I also don't blame Tiki News for the confusion and fiasco surrounding this one small part of the Oasis event. I know it must be extremely difficult to pull this event off. However, it never hurts to refine the process and learn from the past to improve everyone's experience. I hope this suggestion is not misinterpreted as a complaint. I love Oasis and look forward to #7. Hopefully I'll get a mug next year.

Cheers!!!

O
Otto posted on Fri, May 12, 2006 6:07 PM

we did not sell them BEFORE the time listed in the program. The line started forming at 6, as soon as the doors opened, and by 6:45 there were enough people in line to buy all the mugs.

We had to cut the run of the mug short due to production issues. I won't bore you with the details.

Last year we had 150 mugs and did not sell out

We ran it the same this year but had fewer mugs AND higher demand. Next year we will take precautions to ensure more people can get their hands on them.

Thanks for your input on this.

Otto

O
Otto posted on Fri, May 12, 2006 6:27 PM

we did not sell them BEFORE the time listed in the program. The line started forming at 6, as soon as the doors opened, and by 6:45 there were enough people in line to buy all the mugs.

We had to cut the run of the mug short due to production issues. I won't bore you with the details.

Last year we had 150 mugs and did not sell out

We ran it the same this year but had fewer mugs AND higher demand. Next year we will take precautions to ensure more people can get their hands on them.

Thanks for your input on this.

Otto

At last year's Oasis, both Tiki Farm and Munktiki produced souvenir mugs, so there were more to go around.

Tiki Farm made 250 and Munktiki made 150. In addition, Munktiki had the vending machine with more unique mugs. Everyone who wanted a souvenir mug could get one.

If either of these companies wanted to make another commemorative mug for Tiki Oasis 6, I'm sure there would be enough to demand for a full run.

On 2006-05-12 20:10, ookoo lady wrote:
At last year's Oasis, both Tiki Farm and Munktiki produced souvenir mugs, so there were more to go around.

Tiki Farm made 250 and Munktiki made 150. In addition, Munktiki had the vending machine with more unique mugs. Everyone who wanted a souvenir mug could get one.

If either of these companies wanted to make another commemorative mug for Tiki Oasis 6, I'm sure there would be enough to demand for a full run.

That's a great idea Ookoo Lady I would buy one!!! Seriously

EEEEeeeeeeAAAAaaaaaaOOOOooooooWWWWWwwwwWWWw

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2006-05-12 20:23 ]

Otto and Baby Doe still rock! They do the greatest job organizing this stuff! Thanks Otto! Without them, there would be no Oasis, and there'd be no bitching about mugs, 'cause there wouldn't even be an event! I LOVE Tiki Oasis!
I've had a little too much to drink tonight.

OK, I'm over this. I've since adopted a more philosophical attitude towards this mug dilemma and my subsequent lack thereof: If God would have meant for me to have a Tiki Oasis 6 mug...I WOULDA BEEN BORN WITH ONE IN MY FUCKING HAND!

On 2006-05-13 00:04, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
OK, I'm over this... If God would have meant for me to have a Tiki Oasis 6 mug...I WOULDA BEEN BORN WITH ONE IN MY FUCKING HAND!

Ahahahahaha! Me too. Besides, that mug is soooooo last week!

I was disappointed I didn't get my hands on an Oasis 6 mug, it makes for a great keepsake and memory of the event. I think this thread was good therapy to vent, suggest, explain, etc.

Otto, thanks for considering everyone's point of view.

I have an extra Trader Mort (Eli Hedley) mug if anyone would like to trade for an Oasis 6 mug.

Sorry Unga, I got shut out of getting both an Oasis mug and the Morts, but have a lovely collection of beautifully detailed 2004 series Andrew Jackson wallet sized prints signed and numbered by the Secretary of the Treasury.

I think several of them would make a lovely trade for your extra Morts mug.

Did I mention that my dad's name was Mort and that Trader Morts is my regular liquor store, and that life's not fair?

M
Moki posted on Mon, May 15, 2006 11:22 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

On 2006-05-15 14:51, hodadhank wrote:
Did I mention that my dad's name was Mort and that Trader Morts is my regular liquor store, and that life's not fair?

Well Hodahank,
This might just very well be your lucky day.
I try to do a charitable act at least once a month and you have apparently struck a chord with me, to which I've decided, I am going to send you the Trader Mort's mug at my very own expense.

NOT! :)

Pages: 1 2 57 replies