Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Sam's Seafood Last Hurrah Crab Crawl 5/22

Pages: 1 2 68 replies

SHHHHH! As of now the closing of Sam's is very hush hush. Only the Managers and the cooks know about it and what they know is very little.

Um yeah,
I had forgotten to tell my Dad about that,not to say anything to the employees about it.
And as he asked the Nite Manager guy when the place was closing, and why. He was like "uh your telling me I may not have a job soon"?
with the look of horror in his eyes like he had seen a ghost.
I felt so bad for him. and for telling my dumb ass dad to not say anything.

I may get there early( like 5 or so) if you need help MM
Jeff(bigtikidude)

This is bad ju ju. We are going to a restaurant to celebrate before its demise and the staff doesnt even know about it?

Are we sure we have all the facts straight?

Management most certainly should not be leaking information about its closing to the public before notifying the staff.

This is a big group. Its a tough crowd to keep quiet.

I fully agree with you Ookoo. Its good to be sensitive to those that are losing their jobs. Interrogation would be bad. Asking polite questions would be better.

[ Edited by: monkeyman 2006-05-22 11:39 ]

On 2006-05-22 11:34, Monkeyman wrote:
This is bad ju ju. We are going to a restaurant to celebrate before its demise and the staff doesnt even know about it?

Management most certainly should not be leaking information about its closing to the public before notifying the staff.

I fully agree with you Ookoo. Its good to be sensitive to those that are losing their jobs. Interrogation would be bad. Asking polite questions would be better.

Not telling the staff in the restaurant business is common. The managers usually tell them the day they are closing or dont even tell them. The employees just show up to a locked door and a note. management wants teh staff to work to the end, if some people know they were going out of business they wouldnt even show up.

Hi all--
You don't know me... but I lurk here now and then oogling the fantastic tiki stuff everyone posts about.
I happened upon this thread about Sam's closing and was very dismayed! I've driven by it for YEARS and kept saying to my husband "I want to see the SHOW!! Let's go let's go let's GO!" but it just never came about.
Well... y'all got me off my behind to call. I was able to make reservations for this coming Friday (May 26th)... but the gal who does the show has "moved to another venue". :(
I'm very sad about this as I really always wanted the full experience. But.. I have no one to blame but myself.
I mentioned to the gal on the phone that I'd heard they were closing and she said rather cryptically, "Well.. that's the rumor"

Anyway... I hope to bump into some of you, someday. I'm sure I'll need advice on decor eventually. After we open our vintage store in a couple months, we plan on FINALLY making our sunroom into the "tiki room". It's been called the Tiki Room for 3 years, now... but there's just been so much STUFF stored in there in preparation for the store that we couldn't begin!

OOps... I hope I didn't let yet another cat out of the bag on this one. Before I called Sam's and then wrote my post, no one had yet said anything about not mentioning the closing to the employees who may/may not know.
Eek! I'm sorry!

WooHoo!! The following people are in for Sam's Seafood Last Hurrah Crab Crawl on
May 22. See you tonight!!!

*SoccerTiki
*WooHooWahine
*Riptide
*Tiki Bird
*Utopian Dream
*Monkeyman
*Al-ii
*Bigtikidude
*Hau'oli Tiki and Mr.
*Tikihai
*Polynesianpop
*Tikitatt & Mrs.
*PiPhiRo
*Sabu + Tikibelle
*Spermy
*Whalerider
*Tigerlily
*Roxanne
*Tiki-Kate
*MT Kahuna+3
*The Pineapple Poet + 3
*Mean Gene
*Johnny & Mrs. Velour
*Dr.Z & Pandora
*Traderpup

I just talked to Sam's and we will be sitting in The High Chief's Room

H

Elsewhere what kind of vintage store are you opening and where?

What a huge crab night!

On 2006-05-22 21:30, hiltiki wrote:
Elsewhere what kind of vintage store are you opening and where?

hiltiki -- we tend to focus on 40's, 50's & early 60's. The store (if all goes as planned) will be a "vintage department store" of sorts. Housewares department, appliances dept. ladies dept, etc, etc. We have a very large space with several large picture windows that we plan to change often -- using department store displays from the 40's & 50's as inspiration.
It'll be located down near Long Beach's 4th St "Retro Row".

:)

I can't wait to get all this stuff out of my HOUSE!

WOOOOHOOOOO! Mucho Mahalo to everyone who came to Sam's tonight for The Last Hurrah Crab Crawl :) What a fun night! Hope to see everyone again on Saturday.

What a great night for crabs!!!!!! We counted 56 seats occupied in the High Chief's Room!!!! 56!!!!!! And that's nothing compared to this coming Saturday night!!! PM WooHooWahine now to get your spot!!!! $35 dinner and the BIG SHOW!

Wooooooo Hooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

T

What a great picture Traderpup! I still can't believe Sam's is closing. I can't make it this Saturday night but you may see me there this Monday night.

On 2006-05-22 11:49, johnnievelour wrote:

On 2006-05-22 11:34, Monkeyman wrote:

Not telling the staff in the restaurant business is common. The managers usually tell them the day they are closing or dont even tell them. The employees just show up to a locked door and a note. management wants teh staff to work to the end, if some people know they were going out of business they wouldnt even show up.

Your right about that procedure johnnie, but working in this good/lousy business for 20 years, I know the staff knows, because there are no secrets in a restaurant/hotel environment. A lot of times the staff even know things before the management.
Can't wait for Saturday!

Thanks to those that helped organize this and another thanks to those that have carried this monday night dining tradition for so many months.

I saw this today at http://www.huntingtonbeachevents.com/bars.html

Sam's Seafood 16278 PCH
Tropical dance shows during summer -closing for new townhomes & shops

On 2006-05-23 11:04, thejab wrote:
What a great picture Traderpup! I still can't believe Sam's is closing. I can't make it this Saturday night but you may see me there this Monday night.

Hey Jab, all, I'm Up for one last Monday at Sam's even after the big one last night, and the Show on Sat.
Hell I may even get Crab instead of chicken( shock and Ah!!)
That was alot of fun last night, can't wait till Sat.!!!

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2006-05-23 18:18 ]

D

All,
It broke my heart to see Sam's close. The place is an icon. I can remember driving by it in my dad's '56 Chevy, back when the '56 was a cheap used car. I used to bring out-of-towners to Sam's and the Glide 'er Inn as part of a mini tour of "the lost California". After all this time, I'm still in shock that Sam's is history.

I'm told that the swordfish neon sign is for sale. I hope it finds a good home.

The wrath of the tiki gods on greedy developers.

Dan

UB

On 2007-05-02 22:05, danimal wrote:
I'm told that the swordfish neon sign is for sale.

That's got to be a rumor.

On 2007-05-02 22:05, danimal wrote:
I'm told that the swordfish neon sign is for sale. I hope it finds a good home.

The wrath of the tiki gods on greedy developers.

Dan

Who told you that?

The guys got 5 POSTS kinda obvious he hasn't been around here following the current state of SAM'S.
Otherwise who would drag up this thread from last year and completely miss all the threads about the new mugs, new work by Bamboo Ben, discussion of re-opening dates and so on?

[ Edited by: Dr.TikiMojo 2007-05-03 11:47 ]

Pages: 1 2 68 replies