Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Big Sam's goodbye Party on Sat. 27th - Buffet Sold Out! RSVP if Interested in seeing the Show Only.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 149 replies

LAST CALL AT SAM'S SEAFOOD - Come enjoy Polynesian perfection and celebrate and history of this venerable California Tiki Temple before it closes its doors in June.

DATE: Saturday, May 27th, 2006
TIME: 4:30pm (Cocktails in the bar) 6;30pm (Dinner in the Hidden Village). 7:30pm (Entertainment in the Hidden Village). We kick you out at midnight. :)
LOCATION: Sam's Seafood (16278 South Pacific Coast Hwy, Huntington Beach, California 92649)
http://www.samsseafood.com/

PRICE, DINNER & SHOW: Note: The Dinner buffet has SOLD OUT. Check below for Show-Only information. If you are on WooHoo's reservation list, the price for the buffet and show is $35 per adult, $17 for children twelve and under, and Free for children 3 and under. Pay at the entrance to the Hidden Village the night of the event. Cash or Personal Check. We do not have the capability of accepting Credit Cards. (Although you can pay for drinks at the bar with credit cards).

PRICE, SHOW ONLY: There will be room for in the Hidden Village for those who would like to see the show, but make other arrangements for dinner. Show starts at 7:30pm. Price for SHOW ONLY is $13 per adult, $6 for children 12 and under, Free for children 3 and under. Even if you are going with this option, please PM WooHooWahine, or E-mail Sabu at [email protected], so we can get put you on the list and get an idea of how many people are attending.

FOOD: Buffet featuring Hawaiian Chicken, Barbecued Spareribs, and Mahi Mahi. Hawaiian Rice, Green Beans, Bread, Butter, Tea & Coffee. (Drinks not included). Both the bar in the Hidden Village and the Main Bar will be serving drinks.

ENTERTAINMENT: King Kukulele Hosting! Performances by the Martini Kings(Lounge,Exotica/Recently Back from Tiki Oasis 6) and the Glasgow Tiki-Shakers( Soul/R&B/Exotic drenched Surf Band) will close out this era of Tiki History in high style!

DOOR PRIZES: Your admission ticket will put you in a drawing for glamorous prizes generously donated by Munktiki and Tiki Diablo (memorial Sam's carving). Sabu The Coconut Boy will throw in his last Disneyland Pele Tiki Mug (No longer in production) as well.

COMMEMORATIVE SAM'S LOGO-TIKI NECKLACES will be offered for sale at a low price by our own master carver, POLYNESIAC.

RSVP: Sam's needs a pretty accurate head-count by Monday noon, so please RSVP to this thread or PM WoohooWahine as soon as possible. I will add a few reservations to Monday's count. Once those are used up, we may be able to offer tickets just for the entertainment portion of the evening with dinner on-your-own in the main dining room, But we can make no guarantees!. Thankyou for everyone who has committed so far! Again, Please Note: The Buffet is Sold Out, but you can reserve tickets for the Show Only.

STILL NEEDED: Thanks again to everyone who has gone out of their way to volunteer their time and donations. I am touched by the outpouring of support. We are looking into a possible retrospective of Sam's history. If so, we could use a digital projector for the evening and someone to operate it. We could probably also use one other person to help take admission and hand out tickets at the entrance of the Hidden Village. Also, it would be great if we could offer free digital portraits taken by the large tiki at the waterfall. Would anyone be willing to take on this task?

If anyone else would like to donate something to the door-prize raffle, That would also be greatly appreciated by everyone I'm sure.

Thanks again to King Kukulele, The Martini Kings, and the Glasgow Tiki Shakers for stepping up and filling the bill on such short notice.

Jeff (bigtikidude) & Sabu

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2006-05-25 19:41 ]

I'm with Jeff on this. I definitely want to do Crab Night with a huge group on Monday, but this place deserves a big going-away party with a show as well, if possible. I'll be heading over to Sam's tonight to meet Jeff and discuss plans with management. Right off the bat, I'd say either one of the two Saturday nights he mentioned would work best, and June 3rd if possible, because that would give us the most time to plan.

Other thoughts?

Sabu

WooHoo! The 27th is a Holiday Weekend so a lot of people may be out of town??

June 3rd sounds good to me. I'm sure some folks will already have things going on for Memorial Day weekend so the 3rd is probably more ideal.

I vote for the day of the 27th cause I already got something going on June 3rd but whatever you plan on I will try my best to get there. Sunday the 28th would be good too cause Monday is a holiday and I ain't leaving town for Memorial weekend. Plus I can spend part of the day across the street at the freakin beach. Lets have fun during these sad times!!!
Later,
Spermy

..the only way to end it right, is to burn it to the ground in effigy after the above festivities have concluded.....

I'd be game. The 22nd is my dear mother's bday so I can't come out for the festivities- so it would be great to have a second chance to bid a fond farewell.

The 3rd of June would be great! Jeff & Sabu, let me know if you need help.

TBird.

We've got a great group materializing for the 22nd for the Crab Crawl...I put my 2 cents in for June 3rd for something on the festive side. NOt much time to plan though, I'd be more than happy help out... I also like the idea of burning the place to the ground in effigy (It might save the demolition crew a lot of time!)

Totally kidding about the "Pyrotechnics" for those fire marshals out there!

I just got off the phone with Linda at Sam's. Confirmed Tikitatt & Spermy's confirmation - Yes, Sam's will be closing June 4th. Looks like they'll probably be building condos on the site. No decision had been made yet on the where the decor would go. I let the manager know that there would be a ready market among the Tiki Central folks. I didn't want them to think that anything that wasn't going to be given to the employees would would need to be thrown out. She seemed relieved at that news and will pass it on to the owner.

Unfortunately, June 3rd and 4th are booked with weddings in the Hidden Village. May 27th and 28th are open though. I guess that narrows down our choices. We would need to make a deposit within the next few days though. It would be fine to bring in our own bands to perform.

As far as food goes, we could offer a selection of 3 or 4 dinner entrees like we did for King Kukulele's birthday in November 2004, with a set price for each guest.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11529&forum=17
Or, if we can rustle together 50 attendees, we could opt for the buffet instead.

What do you think? Can we get enough interest to host 50 folks on May 27th, even though it's a holiday weekend? I'd really like to put an event together.

Sabu

May 27 or 28 would be good for me and Krustiki. How much deposit do they need?

P

The weekend of the 27th is better for me as well. I'm in. PM me if you need help.

There would be a $500 deposit towards the food. Then there would be an additional $150 fee for the Hidden Village room.

With taxes and tip, food would come to approx $20 per person. Add onto that a charge to cover the room fee, and additional charges to pay for a band and/or other entertainment and I'm guessing we're looking at approx $35 per person, much like King Kukulele's birthday party. If we can get more than 50 people to attend, we should have no problem dropping the per-person price.

Note: this is just the most preliminary of estimates right now. I'd try hard to keep the individual per-person cost as low as possible.

Thanks,

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2006-05-16 15:57 ]

TB

Utopiandreem & I are in for either day!

TBird.

M

I'm In for 2.

Ok, It looks like a go for Saturday, May 27th. The Entertainment is coming together and I'll try to get a firm number for the per-person dinner cost by this Friday. Thanks everyone, for the interest.

Sabu

Yes the 27th is good for me too.
I'm busy on the 28th, and a few friends will be gone the weeknd of the 3rd 4th so the 27th looks good,
Now we need people to start with the
"I'm In's "
please reply if you'd like to attend this event.

I'll start
I'm in.

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2006-05-16 18:04 ]

Monkeyman + 3

Krustiki and I will be there.

R

I'll be there!

Me + 1 = 2

thanks for doing the legwork, sabu!

need help? call me!

You Know The Whale Rider and I are IN!!

I'll be there with three other people.
Let's send it off right.

BTW, I just got home from Sam's (tues night, the 16th) to check out the situation and have a drink. I spoke to Tommy and he was real quiet about the whole thing, playing it down. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the place.

I've finally finished rearranging my plans for that weekend, so I'm in.

T

Count us in for any weekend, Tikitatt and Tsunami Shanna
(John and Shanna Sissel)

[ Edited by: Tikitatt 2006-05-16 21:41 ]

[ Edited by: Tikitatt 2006-05-19 00:13 ]

[ Edited by: Tikitatt 2006-05-24 21:36 ]

DZ

Pandora and I will definitely be there! Sam's was one of my favorite places: I mean hey - where else could you actually order a drink called the "Tiki Central"? This place will be sorely missed...

Rats! I won't get back to L.A. until the 3rd! Maybe I'll just pretend to've been invited to one of the weddings...
Save me a memento from there, someone :) :(

It feels like another shread of the heart every time another Tiki staple is brought down.

Mrs. Boo here. Ben is stuck working on some crappy ass island with great weather, warm water....whatever.
Yes, we will be there for Sam's Seafood.
Aloha!

TM

Condos, fucking condos. Just makes me want to puke.

T

On 2006-05-17 09:03, lucas vigor wrote:
Condos, fucking condos. Just makes me want to puke.

Blaaccccccchhhhhhhhhhh! (Or whatever passes for a wretching sound)

Count me in + 1

Damn - I wish it wasn't Memorial Day Weekend. I will be sorry to miss the party , but sooooo sorry to miss Sam's. Maybe the ground level floor of the condo's could have a Starbucks and a Quiznos or better yet maybe a Walmart minimart.

Lady Velour and I are IN!

A

In
Mahalo,
Al

Howza bout somebody starting a BIG ASS LIST of all the cats and kittens planning to attend?? (WooHoo, I'm looking at YooHoo!)

M

Change mine to 5:

MTKahuna
Skipper Trent
Laney
Sooper K

On 2006-05-17 15:29, hodadhank wrote:
Howza bout somebody starting a BIG ASS LIST of all the cats and kittens planning to attend?? (WooHoo, I'm looking at YooHoo!)

Right your are, hodad! It's about that time. I just sent the master list to WooHoo and asked if she'd be kind enough to post it and maintain it for me. Great response so far.

Thanks,

Sabu

How about our Northern California contingency? We missed you at the Last Hurrah for the Royal Hawaiian in February......And all you fun-loving Arizonians...Are you in for a Memorial Day weekend road-trip? I can put a few of you up at my place if needs be!

[ Edited by: Tigerlily 2006-05-17 17:29 ]

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-05-18 15:17 ]

In + 1

A beacon for many night time PCH travelers!!

Where can you find buildings like this anymore?

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2006-05-18 10:10 ]

TikiJosh wrote:

Blaaccccccchhhhhhhhhhh! (Or whatever passes for a wretching sound)

This tiki agrees with you.

T

I'm in +1

C

Bealza-Elvis & I are in!

I just got back from putting the deposit down on the Hidden Village room and Buffet. Because of the short time and the difficulty involved in each attendee pre-choosing their dinner entree by Wednesday, we've opted to go with the buffet, but we've got the chef to add a fish entree to the chicken and ribs for the vegetarians in our group.

King Kukulele has agreed to Emcee the evening and it looks like we've got surf band, the Glasgow Tiki-Shakers lined up to perform and we're finalizing the headlining group right now. Cost should stay below the $35 estimate I gave earlier.

I'm also happy to anounce that our own Polynesiac is sculpting a commemorative pendant for the event, featuring the Sam's logo tiki, that he will offer at a very low price the night of the event. He's going to try to do this at cost, but any slight profit we make from the pendant or ticket sales will go straight to the bands, since they are performing on the cheap as well.

Bigtikidude or myself will add the final details of the event to the first post in this thread by tomorrow, (Friday).

Sam's Seafood is going to require a pretty accurate head count by Monday, so please spread the word through the tiki grapevine throughout tomorrow and the weekend. I'd like to get 100 folks or more if possible and from word-of-mouth from the tiki folks who haven't RSVP'd to this thread yet, it looks like we may reach that number.

Thanks to everybody who's pitched in and helped so far. The outpouring of tiki support is making this event go much smoother than I expected.

Sabu.

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-05-22 22:49 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 149 replies