Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Big Sam's goodbye Party on Sat. 27th - Buffet Sold Out! RSVP if Interested in seeing the Show Only.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 149 replies

On 2006-05-16 13:32, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
I just got off the phone with Linda at Sam's. Confirmed Tikitatt & Spermy's confirmation - Yes, Sam's will be closing June 4th.

I'm horrified. I was planning on doing my birthday there in July!

Thanks for getting this all together Sabu. It's pretty rad that you are stepping up to make this last event at Sam's happen. It feels like only the other day that Lapu, Amy, and I met you at Sam's for the very first time. That must have been like three years ago by now. Such a bummer that we're losing this place.

TS

Count me in + 1...I'm truly upset to see another establishment bite the bullet. I've never had the opportunity to make it into Sam's, but I have heard soo many great things about it that I cant pass this up!(I'm also bringing video camera for "historical interest".

Tim,
I know that it was your Idea and my idea to do a big event.
Thaks so much for doing most of the leg work on this. You're great man. Also thanks to Woo hoo for doing the list of "ins"

Please people if you are going to this we need a rsvp in a e-mail or PM to Woohoo asap.

thanks,
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Check out the thread http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19578&forum=17&1 The Martini Kings will be playing at Sam's! PM WooHooWahine and get your rez in (there are limited seats.)

me plus 1

I've added details to page 1 of this post.

My apologies off the bat for having to stick to my original $35 estimate (I was more accurate than I thought). All the bands have agreed to play at much lower than their standard rates, and we've been able to add some great door prizes to the program as well.

I can't wait to see everybody! It's all the friends in my TC family that are going to make this send-off of Sam's memorable to me more than anything else.

Thanks again,

Sabu

PS: Anyone want to meet me for drinks at Sam's after work tonight? I'll be heading over there at about 6:30 or so.

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2006-05-19 15:19 ]

thanks so much sabu and big TD for you efforts. The price per adult is understandable.

If you can finesse a much lower rate for offspring it would be appreciated.

Im thinking like $10. They barely eat. Of course if they are taking up a seat in a sold out house then I understand.

Mr. and Mrs. Larry Lava are in!

H

Count me in,

Hakalugi + 3 adults, 2 children

we're gonna try to make it...got to talk to the big tiki to be sure he does not have anything already planned...so for now, if you can, please count us in for 2 amd much aloha!

okay, so it looks like we're gonna make it (I think we're gonna drive)...any suggestions on where to stay that's nice and close to both Sam's and the beach? We usually stay at the Hotel Laguna but I am thinking that it may be too far of a drive from Sam's...any ideas? Please let us know and thanks!

tm:)

WOOOHOOO! Tiki-Tina & Bamboo Boyd are in the house!!!! We are so happy that they will be representing the AZ TC Ohana :) Watch out Tiki-Tina knows the WooHooo! :)

ARRRRR!!!!!!!

Welcome back, Ben!

LATEST UPDATE:

Sam's does not offer a special rate for children, so we are going to do our own. All kids 12 and under are half price ($17 instead of $35). All children 3 and under are Free. I'm going to give a head-count to SAM's at 1:00pm today. I'll probably make it for 110 guests, (+ or -), at the buffet. That will give us about 16 extra tickets with the buffet to fill this week. I've talked to a few other people who are thinking of coming as well but haven't been able to confirm as yet.

Beyond that, it looks like there's room in the Hidden Village to sell $13 tickets for the event-only. Folks paying this way can either order dinner in the main restaurant or skip dinner altogether and join us for the show at 8:00pm. More details soon.

I've just heard from BigTikiDude that the Martini Kings have generously donated some CDs and T-Shirts for the Door-Prize raffle. Mahalo Much!

Those with children who have RSVP'd already - please PM me with the number of children in your group.

Thanks again,

Sabu.

Oh Yeah,

Anyone want to meet for breakfast at Kings Hawaiian Bakery & Restaurant in Torrance the next morning?

Sabu

Sabu,
Hey that sounds like a great Idea, as I will be heading out to the Big South Bay Surf Band Stomp in Hermosa at Suzy's on Aviation ave.
From Noon till Midnight with 10 surf bands that day.
Where is this place?
and what time would you want to meet?
I need to be to Suzy's by 11:30 am probably.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

http://www.kingshawaiian.com/restaurants/visitus.html

King's Hawaiian Bakery & Restaurant
2808 W. Sepulveda Blvd.
Torrance, CA

Thanks San,
Hope to see you Sat. night, for the big Sam's goodbye shindig.
and Sun. morning and Sunday for the surf show at Suzy's
Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: woohoowahine 2006-05-24 12:14 ]

If your coming from out of town and are interested in getting a room for the night, PM me for more information or you can go to this site for easy self-reservations:

http://www.packyoursuitcase.joystar.com

WooHooo! 4 days til the BIG SHOW!!!

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-05-23 09:27 ]

Wow! It looks like 107 people have replied so far!!!! That's all for the Buffet and Show, right? That means there will probably be about 140 people show up! (At the crab crawl 42 responded and 56 showed!) Tiki Taix on Friday and Sam's on Saturday!!! Another FUN weekend in Southern California!!!!

WooooooooooooHoooooooooooooooooooooo!

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2006-05-24 07:25 ]

Last minute plan change! We are not dragging the whole Fam Damily to the River this weekend, so.... count me and the Mr IN!!
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

TODAY is the LAST DAY to RSVP! If your name is not on the list and you plan on attending PLEASE PM me with your RSVP ASAP:

WoooHoooo! The following people are in for Sam's Goodbye Party on
Saturday, May 27th. Remember, $35.00 includes dinner and the BIG SHOW!!! If you plan on attending and your name is not on this list please PM me ASAP:

Utopian Dream & Tiki Bird
Soccer Tiki
WooHooWahine
Ookoo Lady & Krustiki
PiPhiRo
Bigtikidude + 5
Sabu
John & Carrie Magdalino
HB Kahuna
Jim & Sue Copeland
JIm Frias & Susan
Doug Forbes & Mrs.
John Paul
Tony Ruiz
Riptide
Polynesiac + 1
Sperm Whale & Whale Rider
Luckydesigns + 3
Tiki-Kate
Tikitatt
Tsunami Shanna
Doctor Z & Pandora
Unga Bunga
RevBambooBen & Mrs. Boo
Polynesian Pop + 1
Johnnie Velour & Lady Velour
Al-ii
Godess-sun + 5
Tigerlily + 2
MT Kahuna + 4
Bongofury +1
Tikisan + 1
Cyntiki & Bealza-Elvis
Tom Slick + 1
Isotiki +1
Martini Kings (5)
Modmana + 1
BettyBleu + 1
Stentiki + 1 + 1 (8pm Show only)
Larry Lava & Mrs
Hakalugi + 5
Bamboo Boyd & Tiki Tina
Mike Shawn + 1
Theo (OC Weekly)
Tiki Diablo + 1
Kirby & Polly
Hiltiki (8pm Show only)
Q-Tiki (8pm Show only)
Shakatiki & Wahine
Hau'oli Tiki & Mr.
Mean Gene (no Lapus)+5
Baxdog & Sara
Glascow Tiki Shakers (3)
King Kukulele +3
Kohalacharms +1 (8pm show only)
Tigerjimmy

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-05-26 15:42 ]

Mean Gene, Lisa, Dylan and Taylor will be there!

Oh.... and Mike and Karen from the Picture Show Gallery in Seal Beach too!

Maybe "DING DONG DAN", hopefully.

IMPORTANT REMINDER: Only Cash or Checks will be accepted for the Buffet & Party!!! No Host Bar: You can pay however you want :)

Prices:

*Buffet Dinner & Show : Adults $35
Children 12 and under $17
Children under 3 Free

*Show only after 7:30pm: $13 per person: All Ages

***Buffet Dinner Show is sold out!!!! Show only spaces still available. PM me now to get on the list.

"Happy Hour" in the bar starts around 4:30 (or when you get there!)

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-05-25 12:46 ]

That completely fills the buffet reservation I made yesterday! Wow. I'm afraid we'll have to cut off any further reservations for dinner and begin to take reservations for the show only (show starting at 8:00pm, dinner on your own or in the main Sam's dining room). I'll get ruling from Sam's on how many people the Hidden Village rooms can handle for the show.

Thanks for the great response. I'll try to update the first post later today.

Sabu

T

[ Edited by: Tikitatt 2006-05-24 21:36 ]

I'd like to go to at least the show, maybe show and dinner if someone cancels, but I'd also like to car pool with someone from the San Diego area. Anyone else headed up?

Sabu asked me to let everyone know that the show will start at 7:30pm. Dinner is @6:30pm. Happy Hour....when you get there!!! The spots for the Dinner is sold out now. There are still spaces for the show!!!

There's a story about this event in the OC Weekly.

H

Q-tiki and I will be there.

On 2006-05-25 16:04, ookoo lady wrote:
There's a story about this event in the OC Weekly.

Hmmmm? Some incorrect information: Freaky Tiki's & Smokin Menehunes will not be performing. And who is the band Tiki Taix?? LOL

Hey guys, I am going to Sams on Friday (26th) night @ 8:30. Aif any of you are there, look for the guy in the Hawaiian shirt (haha)

I most likely will be with my wife and another couple and a child so see ya there...

I'll meet you there, tiki-schleek. I'll be the guy in the Hawaiian Shirt and the coconut-monkey pendant. We should arrange a secret code-phrase.

Sabu

A preview of the nice Fugu Sipper than Munktiki has graciously donated as one of the door prizes:

Sabu

A preview of Polynesiac's pre-casting pendant carving, patterned after the Sam's logo tiki:

I've loved that tiki forever. Can't wait to get my hands on one of the pendants.

I've also updated the first post to this thread with details about Show-Only tickets.

Sabu

What an awesome sipper! I can think of a lovely bit o poison to put in that Fugu!

Wow, looks like a full house!! Very cool pendant polynesiac!! I will be there with wet wahine to bid Sams a sad farewell. Is this what humans call progress? Where will our children drink and cavort? Anyway, we go back many mai tai moon's. Sorry to witness it's demise! Okole maluna and mahalos for the memories! see you at the show, Wes

Please open up my reservation for 4. I wont be attending.

Sorry for the late cancellation.

Put me in for 1 I,ll attend what evers still open . cell 626 893 4338 Regards Tyger

On 2006-05-24 12:26, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
That completely fills the buffet reservation I made yesterday! Wow. I'm afraid we'll have to cut off any further reservations for dinner and begin to take reservations for the show only (show starting at 8:00pm, dinner on your own or in the main Sam's dining room). I'll get ruling from Sam's on how many people the Hidden Village rooms can handle for the show.

Thanks for the great response. I'll try to update the first post later today.

Sabu

The Dinner Buffet is Completely Booked! If you just want to attend the show there may be limited space available???

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-05-26 17:13 ]

Here's the official Sam's Seafood commemorative pendant that is modeled after the signature design found in their menu:

Hand carved, molded, pulled and painted by me! This is a limited edition commemorative pendant ONLY available at the event sold on a first come, first served manner. "Sam's" is carved on the bottom as well as the date of the event. We'll be selling these for only $10 each (cash only) and all proceeds will go to help pay for the event! Depending on how the mold does, it looks like we'll have around 30 available for sale. I'll try and be at Sam's as early as possible for all you early bird collectors :), but I'll definately be there when the food starts!

Thank you very much everyone for your interest in the pendant, I hope you like it!
Now it's off to cast and paint some more...

I wish I could be there to celebrate with you all! Must make plans to have one final dinner/drink there this week!

Someone have a Scorpion for me! (I'm sure I won't have to twist any arms!)

[ Edited by: cherryjane 2006-05-27 07:17 ]

On 2006-05-26 18:48, Polynesiac wrote:
Here's the official Sam's Seafood commemorative pendant that is modeled after the signature design found in their menu:

....it looks like we'll have around 30 available for sale.

Only 30? They'll go fast! I better get there early!

H

Why only 30?????? :( :( :( :( :(

I think Polynesiac is making as many as he possibly can on this short notice. I know he wanted to make 50, but with carving the original, making molds, casting each pendant, then painting each one, thirty I'm sure is all he could manage with such a short event-window.

Yes, they will go like hotcakes. I predict it. Dang.

Sabu

[ Edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2006-05-26 23:25 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 149 replies