Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

How are you promoting Tiki?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 209 replies

Not much tiki here in Seattle except for the private home bars. I pretty much keep to myself around here preferring to stay in my own microcosm and keep making stuff. No one I see in my day to day life could give a crap about tiki and no one ever asks me about my house or what I'm wearing. Once in a while I hear some one walking by out front making some oblivious comment and calling it " Hawaiian" or "Totem" ( I refrain from reply as my snark might slip out). Best I can do is try to keep on the fringes of relevance around here. No audience for me to bother talking about tiki. Seattle is a small pond thats already full of big fish blowing bubbles up each others asses.

Dawn, build it and they will come….or in your case: Keep making stuff and they will come. I got your cover of Tiki mag into my Paris museum exhibit - not only because of the mag, but because of your art on it:

I saw that Sven. I did a little happy dance around the house. Thanks for including me, I'm honored and I've been telling everyone! I cant wait to get my Tiki Pop book.

Thanks for the lesson on terminology Sven...Tiki Authority...it is.

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Nov 25, 2017 5:30 PM

Bump.

Just this week I was talking about tiki with a twenty-something coworker who’s originally from Georgia, and mentioned that there are only two Trader Vic’s remaining in the US, one of which is in Atlanta. She immediately started texting friends, asking if they would go with her when she returns at Christmas. None of them had heard of it. Here’s hoping their experience is amazing and we win a few “converts.”

Other ways I’ve been sharing tiki include taking my friends and family to Denver tiki bars (so much so that my sister and fiancé have suggested Adrift as a wedding reception location), making tiki drinks for as many people as possible, and showing my tiki finds to everyone I can.

By hosting a podcast called Marooned, focusing on the growing community of Texas Tikiphiles.
Past guests include the owner and staff of Lei Low in Houston, The Boozy Doodler, and Jay Brooks of Aloha Texas Tiki Co.

Well, we did have our very first tiki party this year. We invited about a dozen close friends and served up a few recipes from the SC book. One of my friends now buys me Exotica records and the occasional Coco Joe figurine she spots at thrift shops, whereas before the party she got us plastic party tiki stuff from the dollar store. So, I'd say we are making progress! :)

I work in a tiki lite bar preaching the gospel of tiki to people.

I was fortunate to get to know a couple local bartenders who were interested in tiki. Then I was able to help them learn enough to get hooked on the drinks and on tiki culture. My home bar was a testing ground to further expose them to a number of the classic drinks. They've taken off on their own now, one even scours thrift shops between Amelia Island and Daytona Beach looking for tiki treasures for his home.

T

I post info on this website called Tikicentral most times about the Kahiki restaurant in Columbus Ohio.

Then other people use that info for news papers and all kinds of things, before I posted about the Grass skirt burning down on Bill Sapp's birthday you never heard that anywhere,
now it's common knowledge.

But it's a good thing that almost nobody reads what I post so nobody knows where the news paper people and others get their info.

Dam a posting about a new Trader Sam's mug gets more replies than my whole Kahiki thread has.

That and the smoking tiki fountain.

Don't forget about the TIKI JEEP!

Seriously Skip...love the Kahiki and your Lamp threads. Don't Stop!

TIKI JEEP! ?

I could never hope to get the kind of responses that the Tiki Jeep thread does.

Wonder what percent of the TC viewing audience even care about the old places and what I call tiki.

It's getting weird I tell ya.

Big ups to the host for including the Tiki Torches on Episode 9 of the show!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/marooned-a-texas-tiki-podcast/id1257608123

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Jul 25, 2023 8:56 PM

I'm fairly well-known at work as a tikiphile, even if most people don't really understand it; however, I may have had a little success in spreading the tiki gospel recently.

A number of coworkers attended a conference in Atlanta last week, and I told one of them that he should go to Trader Vic's while in town. On Friday he texted me a photo of the group, including our CEO and CFO, enjoying drinks in the dining room. Yesterday, the CFO told me they all had a great time and said it even it triggered a memory (which he confirmed with his mother) that his family had visited the San Francisco Trader Vic's decades ago.

I go door to door on Saturday mornings handing out Tiki tracts and RevBambooBen bumper stickers

[ Edited by MadDogMike on 2023-07-26 12:53:46 ]

When I travelled for work, usually not to fun cities, I would always look for the tiki bar. Even when I wasn’t really into tiki yet. And that would show us the coolest part of town that no one knew existed. Like in Orlando or Vegas, it would take us off the beaten path to find cool new neighborhoods.

BB

Currently working to spread the Word Of Tiki locally with the Bloomsburg Community Luau on Sept. 9 - kalua pig roast, buffet, live Exotica, dancers, games, and Blue Hawaii on the outdoor big screen! As far as I'm aware, nobody in this part of the state has organized or is putting together anything along the same theme.

[ Edited by Bam Bam on 2023-07-28 20:13:37 ]

This is a great thread. People make the scene what it is!

I'm known as an expert in Esquivel, his life and his music. I'm involved in no less than three documentaries currently in production that cover different aspects of his life and music, and my project, Esquivel 100, consists of 25 transcriptions, including some with expanded orchestration, of his work covering nearly 40 years. I work in conjunction with the National Jazz Orchestra of Mexico, and we perform this from time to time.

Of course, those who know me probably know me for my work with Waitiki, as the saxophonist and flautist. I also compose and arrange a great deal of material for the group, and we did a great tribute to Les Baxter for the 25th Anniversary Concert for NPR's Retro Cocktail Hour. Randy Wong is a tireless promoter of Tiki, not just the music, but the cocktails and the Aloha spirit. I try to keep up my end in that department too, by entertaining at home with the classic cocktails, plus a few of my own invention using local ingredients, here in Mexico.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 209 replies