Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Kirby's Art (paintings}Slingin paint again "KonTiki"pg8

Pages: 1 2 3 117 replies

Cool work kirby! Always good to see your stuff!

Cool Frame Kirbs!
Great SkullKap! Lovin the sky on it-perfect!
Paint more!

The multi talented kirbopple strikes again!!!!

Love the torchglow/sunset light inthe new one kirb!

K

thanks dudes!!!!

Kirby- I'm lovin' those.. Combining the Frame art with the artwork theme is a really cool move. Well executed!

Kirby, your art reminds me of the art in Monkey Island... more so the third game.

K
kirby posted on Wed, Mar 28, 2007 6:38 PM

imortant looking pirate, that is the second time someone has told me that this month... did we happen to meet at the tonga hut art show...

Yea. I have really long curly hair... and I look out of place when I go to those things. I told my mom about that and I guess she might have mentioned that to you or something.

But it is not a bad comparison at all in my mind. I grew up with that game and the ones that fallowed, and it really does have a striking similarity. Esp. with the 3rd game.

Its kind of one of those fond childhood memory type connnections I have with its 16-bit pixelated wonderfullness.

K
kirby posted on Fri, Apr 20, 2007 7:38 AM

heres a couple new ones
"Drifting along"

"eruption" just a lil abstracty/impressionist kinda painting.

Cool Kirby! I like the Himantolophus jumpin' out of the water. The colors in the last one match your face last Sat after the TF Sale. Heh!

Chongolio

H

Very cool--I like the colors-especially in 'eruption'.

I like the Himantolophus jumpin' out of the water.

to be more specific-'Himantolophus Kirbimus'

Hey Kirby! Eruption is bad ass! Awesome energy in it dude! The lava pouring down the rock face is most excellent!I totally dig that direction!

I concur with sub-Pagan. I'd like to see you do some more paintings in the style of Eruption. It's a nice piece!

K
kirby posted on Tue, Jun 5, 2007 6:21 PM

Here is a few things ive been working on... the first is a painting I did for the london luau,
Its supposed to represent trader vics in london,with tikis as royal guards. Ive never been to london but I think it has a lil london flair...

This is done in a lil looser style, it kinda looks like hes whining {I hope thats spelled right}, so mabey he will be called "the whiner"

This one may look strange to you, so I will explain...littlelosttiki invited me over to his studio to hang out a paint,talk shop,and smoke cigerettes, along with clydesdale. I have a strong fondness for the master 70s Telivision paint instructor Mr. Bob Ross. So i thought i would try my hand at a lil Ross inspired landscape... To stay true to Ross I did it in about 30 minutes, {I think you can tell}..kinny said it needed a tiki so I added one fishing in the stream..I now know Bob ross is a master for wippin out masterpieces in less than half an hour..

I usualy dont post progress shots of my paintings but theres alway a first tim for everything.. I havent got a name for it yet,so if anybody has a suggestion feel free to post...big mahalos ...kirby

Dude!
Can't believe you posted the bob ross! Hi-larious!Clysdalle wants to do a Bob Ross Smackdown some time soon,so sharpen your palette knives! The whiner is really cool with that rough raw style! I'm REALLY likin it! Here's to the London Luau! Pip! Pip! Cheerio!

Right on, Kirby! Nice treatment of the cobblestone and thatch on the Trader Vic's piece! You're killing me with the Bob Ross piece! "Let's put in a happy little tiki here!" Dig the layers of rock on the piece in progress too....nice depth goin' on!

The tikis in the first painting with the royal guards furry caps!!!!! LOL... Thats pretty good. I think you captured the London thing PERFECTLY wit that..

Kirby, I love the Whiner, I like your looser style in that piece, like "The Eruption", the London Luau has some greatness going on too. Thanks for posting those.

H

Kirby, your work is always good. I like your new ones too. How about calling the last one "Bleeding Volcano".

R

Wow, those paintings are beautiful!

:lol: You had the honor to paint with LLT? Lucky! The Bob Ross tiki painting is still awesome tho! Love the added tiki, good suggestion!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jun 6, 2007 2:19 AM

I really like that loose tiki with the red background - a lot of vibe in that one :D

C
croe67 posted on Wed, Jun 6, 2007 5:02 AM

Love the humour (English spelling) in the London Luau original - very nice!!!!!

K
kirby posted on Wed, Jun 6, 2007 6:12 PM

kinney , Im down for the ross smackdown, I have a bunch of episodes saved on my tivo so Ill practice up
Pagan, your da man, you got some great stuff goin on yourself, I love it.. keep it up..
Balls..mahalo, and thanks for continuing to support me and the other artist like me.
sneaky.. I realy enjoy the looser paintings, I kinda use them to get relaxed, and feel free..
hil.. Ill give some thought to that. nice suggestion
ravenne..thanks alot,I think that kinney is the one who was the fortunate one to be hangin with me..
hewey.. Your awsome, I alway enjoy hearing from you mate..
croe...The british are always funny...jk..

The red one is HOT baby!

groom your white man fro because it's on!!!!!

K
kirby posted on Tue, Oct 16, 2007 6:06 PM

Aloooooooohaaaa!!!!!Its been a while... As you may or may not know I have been out of the loop for a while. The reason is that Im getting ready to buy a house, so polly and I had to move in with her dad for a few month while we save up some extra cash for the down payment.So all ye ole paintbrushes and chisles are packed high and tight in the garage...Ive been working on supercharge mode this whole time, and also have had limited access to the net,so that explains my absence on TC. for the last month or so I have been going nuts
not being able to do my art,so with no place to paint or carve, I figured I would try my hand at some digital painting, with photoshop. Its been quit frustrating but Im starting to get the hang of things. This is my first and second attempts the first is an angler fishfloatlamp Im working on hangin him in a tiki bar painting im still working on. The second is full scale and Im calling it "Lava God". Its based on the unfished painting above. Im also working on getting some prints done at some point so If you are interested let me know.
mahalo ...kirby

close up

Right on Kirbs!
I like em both! The transparency on the fish scales is BOMBS!
And the lighting and shadows on the skulls of the second one
give it that MAJOR sense of realism!
It looks like you've been able to switch mediums and still keep the
Kirby flavor! Right on! Stoked that you're finally back to creating
some art!

R

Wow Kirby! I really like the lighting and textures and the colors! :D

Didja mean it's your first time digi-painting? if so - KUDOS! You did a great job!

Mahalo!

C

WOW - you sure have gotten the hang of it!!! Beautiful work, as usual :)

K
kirby posted on Tue, Oct 16, 2007 9:57 PM

Thanks, yeah ravenne It is my first time painting digitaly. I have messed around with photoshop like everyone else never gone nearly this far before...

G
GROG posted on Tue, Oct 16, 2007 9:58 PM

Looking good Kirbs.

K

thanks grog!!

Way to go Kirby! Everything is looking great!! What is really kewl is that your style is shinning through even with a different medium. Hurry up and get your house so you and Polly can throw us all a Par-tay!!

K
kirby posted on Wed, Oct 17, 2007 5:41 PM

thanks spermy,Im workin on it!!!!

Great to see U back, Kirbz!!! I really dig that lava god painting... Kickin' as always...

Loving that Roth-esque fish, Kirby! Cool stuff!

R

On 2007-10-16 21:57, kirby wrote:
Thanks, yeah ravenne It is my first time painting digitaly. I have messed around with photoshop like everyone else never gone nearly this far before...

That's awesome kirby! Did you do it with a mouse or did you actually have a wacom tablet? Either way, that's great!
If you like doing line-work, you should try experimenting with Adobe Illustrator :D

T

Yo Bro! Loooove the new steeze! The work is incredible, totally a whole new level.

Very Kool Dude love it .

B

KIRBY? WHERE YOU Been?

close up

Missing this stuff and you mostly.
Hope All's Well.

Kirbster!
your stuff is awsome!

the TC art world is a little less colorful without our boy Kirby. Here's to hoping he comes back and gets busy art'in soon! I talked to him at oasis and he'll be back in full form soon enough!

KIRBY COME HOME!

TT

here's a pic of Kirbs at Oasis:

That guy looks nothing like Kirby.

Now THIS guy...

K

I can see the resemblance...

why am I playing this game?
P.S. Thanks for thinkin of me guys.. I will be back in the tiki game real soon...

K
kirby posted on Fri, Nov 21, 2008 9:31 AM

here are a coupele new paintings ive been working on.. I decided to stay loose on these, using some of my chunky reject canvases...Its been a while since ive painted, but im enjoying slingin paint again..these pics ar from my phone..
birdyhead 15x30 acrylic on canvas

easterisland 15x30 acrylic on canvas

I have some more stuff im working on at the moment will post more pics soon...

[ Edited by: kirby 2008-11-21 09:54 ]

[ Edited by: kirby 2008-11-21 09:57 ]

Yeah Kirby Get your paint on cuz! Let see some more soon.

Pages: 1 2 3 117 replies