Pages: 1 2 3 4 170 replies

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2009-05-14 14:31 ]

Found a way to get the pic up.

The link worked for me.

BT

On 2006-08-14 11:03, Blue Thunder wrote:
The link worked for me.

BT

Did it go straight to the same beach or was it zoomed out? When I click it it showes the zoomed out version.

It was wierd it changes depending when you click I guess.Tthe first time it was zoomed in the I just tried it again and it was zoomed way out. Maybe try just the map version as Google might be changing it to save bandwidth. I find the map version at Mapquest to be more reliable too.

BT

OK... The dude there told me the dogs can come out and play AFTER 6pm. Which is probably fine with them, as they are lazy and like to sleep in the rig all day. The Mr. just wants to lounge around all day anyways, so the skis can stay at camp. We'll bring the kids canoe and floaties. And some munchies to share. And some booze. See ya!!

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Aug 14, 2006 1:41 PM

Sounds Tiki-Tubular! Parking-wise, I'd get there early (before 8:00am, or at least 9) and the whole lot is vacant. I think an RV, like the famous 600 lb gorilla, can park anywhere it wants to.

This beach is great, even locals are unaware of it, it's the best spot for fires & swimming. Great shells wash up in the morning. It's on the ocean side, but it's surrounded by bay access a quick drive away, you'll see. Just bring the kid boat if you want to plant yourselves.

Dog-wise, Ocean Beach's famous dog section is right across the inlet.

On 2006-08-14 12:46, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
OK... The dude there told me the dogs can come out and play AFTER 6pm. Which is probably fine with them, as they are lazy and like to sleep in the rig all day. The Mr. just wants to lounge around all day anyways, so the skis can stay at camp. We'll bring the kids canoe and floaties. And some munchies to share. And some booze. See ya!!

Just got back from there. The signs says dogs must be leashed between 9am and whatever. Well, they really don't "say" anythng. The signs are pretty quiet.

It is 1.6 miles from the shindig to the Freak Factory. 1 mile to the rolly coaster.

Just picked up black and white Munktiki Bastardos and El Bastardo. And another Martiki set, just in case.

Let's start talking this up again ....who can bring what etc??

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Aug 22, 2006 3:13 PM

Here's what we need right off -

1. Tiki Torches.
  2. As many tents/overhead canopies as we can get, to corner off a whole area for ourselves.
  3. Wood to burn!
  4. A boom box on a battery.
  5. A gallon of drinks, liquorized or not.

I'll be there first thing in the morning, 7:00am, probably at the 5th firepit north of the big lifeguard tower. I'll bring palm wood to chop, ice, plastic cups, games to play, and some cool prizes.

BYO Food! I'll bring some stuff to BBQ, but don't depend on it, it'll go fast.

What else would you folks suggest???

Sounds like a lot of fun. I'll be there with my little one.
Oh did I mention that I also know Blue Thunder. See you there.

[ Edited by: lovebugxs2 2006-08-24 10:33 ]

Tomorrows the day

We are bringing!

Homemade not this.

I should be able to get my spare torches and torch juice down there on my bike.
I'll start practicing making gallon mai tais now. If I don't show up you know what happened.:)

Practice makes perfect.:drink:

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Aug 27, 2006 8:09 AM

Fourteen hours of beachcombing later...

I forgot to bring sunscreen!

Hey, thanks to Chicago Slick for the Giant Pizzas at sunset. Mr. NoNaMe, your Tiki Torches are stuck in the Tiki Carving sandpile beside the firepit.

Since I currently have 3 tiki projects, 2 books, a magazine article, a website, and the latest update of the Tiki Guidebook to get out (people have been clamoring for the last one; at least 6 of the places listed currently are out of beezwax, but 8 more have sprung up in their place, and I want to put in an architecture section, a Hodad Hank idea) I have to cut back my planning of club events to a quarterly type thing. Bong suggested it. Eets a good idea.

There's lots of local events coming this way anyway, from the amazing carving seminar headed here to the Farm's leetle get-together... to a San Diego shop that will be Tiki-izing their entire storefront... And a certain Hawaiian Tiki Coffee Shop is brewing...

I wanna do something right before Christmas, and plans are spinning, but if anybody wants to host/run a Tiki Club Meeting, jump in!

Hello, new guy to Tiki Central checking in with the San Diego Chapter. I was at TikiFest on Catalina island and heard of this website. It looks like alot of fun. I hope to participate more in upcoming events!

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Sep 1, 2006 12:16 PM

Where in San Diego is this brand-new tiki?

Look at the SIZE of it!

Cap'n San DIego is standing beside it, but that may or may not be a clue.The Cap'n is a big guy, over 6 foot, so this thing is LARGE.

That appears to be the Freak Factory in Mission Beach. Hodadhanks's store. Great guy, great place.

[ Edited by: Matt Reese 2006-09-01 12:59 ]

the bamboo teeth is a neat idea

H

Sheesh...Artist Rob Torbin and I both begged Cam not to post pics of the new improved Freak Factory until the entire project was complete.

(I'm reminded of the Ren & Stimpy episode Space Madness where Ren asks Stimpy to guard the red Button that may or may not destroy the universe but of course... Stimpy can't help himself.)

http://ourworld.cs.com/WeezelX/rs/madness.html

I guess it was foolish to expect a city teaming with tiki enthusiasts would'nt notice a fifteen foot tiki frieze with flames in it's mouth erected practically overnight beside one of the cities busiest boulevards.

If you're not familiar with our shop, we've been proud purveyors of tiki barware, island carvings and beach lifestyle goodies since the late ninties, blah blah blah...

Anyway, I suppose this is as good a time as any to thank Rob and the other artists for their generous help rebuilding our shop after the terrible fire this winter. Especially the wonderful interior installations by multitalented Onatiki and bamboo artist Rich Miller.

Working with Ona is the only thing better than drinking with Ona! Mahalo nui loa brudda. Who'd imagine I'd have to travel 3000 miles to reconnect with a guy who used to extort my lunch money as a tyke.
(and his wife Moki's so smart & purdy...)

Rich was a mercurial wonder with a machete and a nail gun transforming our burned husk into a cozy tropical refuge. (Oh, that hot breath on the back of your neck, Ben ...it's Rich Miller! I kid, I kid!) TC'ers can see and buy Rich's cool Bamboo/Surfboard furniture and paintings at Surfari Surf School right next door.

Rob, mahalo for squeezing us in between other projects including your breathtaking work with Wyland at the Del Mar fair. What a treat! Brainstorming with you has been a wonderful experience. Who knew when we were getting tanked at all those concerts ... we could have started this project eight years ago! A typical couple of Deadheads. Plenty more to do. "Hmmmm... how about a lifesize humpback whale on that wall over there..." LOL!

I'll post an "official" re-openning announcment when we've dialed it all in where I can list a full list of artist contributors.

Mahalo & Aloha - Hodaddy

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2006-09-04 20:47 ]

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Sep 4, 2006 4:57 AM

Sorry, I couldn't wait. Cap'n San Diego actually called me one morning and yelled "YA GOTTA SEE THIS THING!". We met 15 minutes later at the Factory and stared at it in wonder.

Freak Factory is at 3742 Mission Blvd., it's gonna be the Tikiest place in San Diego when everything is done, but it's pretty darn Tiki inside right now. These guys actually have Bosco stuff everywhere, mondo mugs, and some special items Hodad designed that are extra Lounge-o-matic.

I promise not to out anything until I get the Tiki-signal...

H

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Sep 4, 2006 10:26 PM

Is that the Tiki-signal???

On 2006-09-04 22:26, Cammo wrote:
Is that the Tiki-signal???

LOL! I'm just pulling your leg. You should pop by, I've got Smoothie man in the front window!

BTW, Sorry I missed the last shindig in South Mission. I missed Blue Thunder's Musubi! I keep waiting for someone to post the goings on. Someone told me you were doing a carving demo... Why so hush-hush???

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2006-09-06 10:42 ]

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Sep 6, 2006 11:10 AM

Hey, no hush-hush about it! Check out the poster on page seven! I brought palm logs to chop-chop, that was the very first Tiki I've ever dug into. It was fun, but there was no time to take pictures. At night we had about 5 huge logs to burn.

The best part was simply chopping up a log into a Tiki and having people on the beach come up and ask questions. They LOVED it! We had a guy from Australia hang around for a while, lots of parents with kids, (the kids all wanted to start carving Tikis, natch) surfers, etc. Even the lifeguards didn't hassle us, though we had sharp tools, hammers, etc. all over the place. It's easy to have a Tiki beach party - just bring something to carve and let go. Very 1966.

I'm thinkin' about going to see the Aloha with Style II concert at Acoustic Music San Diego in North Park this coming tuesday (Oct. 10th). It'll feature Daniel Ho, Herb Ohta, Jr & Keoki Kahumoku.
Their ad says:
--Treat yourself to an evening of the finest acoustic Hawaiian music featuring ‘ukulele and slack key guitar masters, Herb Ohta, Jr, Daniel Ho, and Keoki Kahumoku. These fine musicians include a featured artist on the first Grammy Award-winning album in the Hawaiian category, (Keoki Kahumoku), a Billboard chart-topper (Daniel Ho), and a recording artist on a major international record label (Herb Ohta, Jr.).

--These three graced the AMSD stage earlier this year and gave a phenomenal performance! If you were there the first time, you'll want to see them again and if you missed it, definitely mark your calendars - you'll not want to miss it a second time.

Anyone else interested in going? Tickets are $18-22.
http://www.acousticmusicsandiego.com/October.html

M
mieko posted on Mon, Oct 30, 2006 3:33 PM

Rockler is having a Tool Swap Meet on Sunday, Nov 5th from 6am to Noon. I'm thinking of checking it out in hopes of finding some good but cheap carving tools - maybe some dull ones now that I know how to sharpen them up. :)

Of course they are also having 25% off of all their Stubai Carving tools, and their lumber, in case I can't find anything at the swap.

I'll probably try to make it there around 8-9am, it is a weekend after all. Let me know if anyone is interested in making this a semi official meet up. :)

On 2006-10-30 15:33, mieko wrote:
Rockler is having a Tool Swap Meet on Sunday, Nov 5th from 6am to Noon.

GREAT!
Two swapmeets on the same day. Thankfully Rocklers starts at 6am. Yippee, 6am.:P

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Oct 31, 2006 7:05 AM

Hey, I renamed this thread "SD Area Events" cause there really should be something like this.

For example, as the irredoubtable TikiWineBear has posted elsewhere . . .

HAPA Performs!
Friday, February 16, 2007
Sherwood Auditorium - Museum of Contemporary Art
La Jolla, CA
7:30pm
Tickets online at seatadvisor.com
Information at tulaproductions.org or
Email [email protected]

These guys are great, and from Maui. They don't come around often.

[ Edited by: Cammo 2007-01-01 08:07 ]

The next Rockler Swap is this Sunday April 1st. 6am to noon maybe.

Cool, think I'll go check it out!

Eric or Mieko, how many sellers do they have at these, roughly? Two? Twenty? More?

M
mieko posted on Tue, Mar 27, 2007 4:02 PM

I'd say somewhere between 20-30, but I'm bad at estimating. :) There's quite a few guys that seem to be professional swap meeters. They go around and buy up old tools for cheap, then try to resell them to you for not so cheap. All the chisels I saw were $25 or so, with HUGE chips in them. I got there later in the day though, and missed the deal like Erik got on the draw knife.
There was one guy that had wood, wish I could go just to see him, but I'll be out of town.

Twenty PLUS peeeps selling lots of wood working stuff. More like 40.
I did pretty good with my draw knives that I purchased.

I might make it(I need real chisels) to the swap. I am goin' to the bicycle swap to sell excess bike stuff at 7am at the velodrome.

Thanks for the info. If I go, I'll go EARLY.

I am selling two VIP Tickets for the 7th Annual Hawaiian Christmas Show with Makaha Sons and Guest Artist Keali'i Reichel. This very special event is on December 7th at Birch North Park Theatre in San Diego, CA. Unfortunately, I am not able to attend and need to sell the tickets. This special concert is almost sold out. The tickets are for Row G, Seats 16 & 18 with a face value of $85.00 each which is the amount I am selling them for plus $10.00 for certified shipping. If you visit the seating map for this event you will see why these seats are VIP seats.

Mahalo,

Wendy

I am going to ressurrect this thread and start to post goings ons in SD. Look/Post here to find out whats happening in America's Finest City :wink:

Bar Kindred is having a Mug Release party this Thursday, January 21st. They have a new "tiki" night called Permanent Vacation they will be doing every Thursday. The mug is by Tiki Farm and I believe they made 500 and are selling them for $20 or $25 with a drink. I have not seen the mug, but it is a 4 eyed wolf so likely not that tiki.

Kindred is in South Park. It is a new "metal" themed bar with an all Vegan menu. Brought to you by Consortum Holdings, the same company that owns Craft & Commerce, Ironside, etc.

Bamalamalu, have you checked this place out yet? I think you and Ted would like it. I'll be there Thursday if you can make it.

Thanks for reviving this!

We were actually thinking of trying Kindred a week or so ago but changed our minds and haven't been yet. I didn't realize it was supposed to be metal (I'd think there should be meat for that, but I guess they're covered by having SEITAN, ha.) We did hear somewhere that the drinks were good. We can't make next Thursday due to a friend's birthday, but will have to try it sometime.

T

Treg, thanks for the revive. I've been wanting to check that place out- I'll be out of town on Thursday, but let me know how it goes....

MH

Hey San Diego folks - on Feb 19th, 2016, we're giving a special concert at the Bali Hai as part of our California tour.

Check out http://orchestrotica.com/show.cfm?gig=296 for info.

W

On 2016-01-25 08:35, Mr. Ho wrote:
Hey San Diego folks - on Feb 19th, 2016, we're giving a special concert at the Bali Hai as part of our California tour.

Check out http://orchestrotica.com/show.cfm?gig=296 for info.

I can already sense it's gonna be the "don't wanna miss" event of 2016. If you don't a have ticket yet, crash the the gate!!!

[ Edited by: Wedgie 2016-01-30 12:56 ]

Tonight at Polite Provisions, Bartender Chad Austin from Bootlegger Tiki in Palm Springs is guest bartending. 10% off for wearing aloha shirts & dresses.

It is their Tiki Tuesday :)

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2016-03-08 14:10 ]

This Sunday at Soda & Swine in Liberty Station they are doing a "tiki" event with drinks that feature our local rum makers, Malahat Spirits. Anthony Schmidt will be serving up drinks starting at 4.

Thanks for sharing these! Can't make Polite Provisions tonight, but may have to try to hit the Sunday event. I was more impressed than I expected to be by the Malahat rums.

Bam, no problem at least I am reaching someone :wink: I like to put it out there just so people know.

I really liked Bootlegger Tiki's drinks, but I have no money this week. I might try to go to Soda & Swine after 5 on Sunday. Hopefully I'll bump into you.

On 2016-03-08 14:24, lunavideogames wrote:
This Sunday at Soda & Swine in Liberty Station they are doing a "tiki" event with drinks that feature our local rum makers, Malahat Spirits. Anthony Schmidt will be serving up drinks starting at 4.

Treg,
I hope I’m not derailing this great thread -it’s sorta fits in. What’s going on with Ballast Pt. Rum? Will they be participating?
Mahalo

Actually the fate of the Ballast Point rum is unknown right now. With the company getting bought out I have heard rumors that their distilleries might not be able to transfer to the new owners. It is too bad, I really like their gin. Hopefully it will keep being produced but right now it is in limbo as far as I know.

S

thanks for the tip on Soda and Swine, will try to swing by.

Regarding Ballast point, the spirits were not part of the deal, only the beer. So Ballast Point owner still owns rights to all the spirits/distillery and produces them. They just won a bunch more of awards.

Sirginn, Dats great news!
Cheers

Pages: 1 2 3 4 170 replies