Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

2nd Annual 'OnaTiki Mele 7/1/06 San Diego

Pages: 1 2 69 replies

H

I'm sad that we've missed another grand event at the OnaTikis, but just knowing that a swell party happened makes the world shine a little brighter, even if we didn't get to take part. Can't wait to see the pictures!

Wonderful time, wonderful house, wonderful hosts. Here are some pix:

The front yard. Mrs. Satan's Sin by the tiki, with our traditional "here we are" gift -- an extra-large bottle of cheap rum. This one was called "Military Special Rum."

Front porch.

Railings on front porch.

A backyard view.

Backyard, another angle.

Backyard. The thatched umbrella thing shades a sitting/drinking area. To the right is the "beginning" of the bar proper.

A lovely backyard sitting pavilion. I took several pix of this as I plan to make one for my own.

Living room.

A view of the top of their sideboard.

Another view of the sitting pavilion.

Bongofury at the helm, making his signature "Bong Water" cocktail. As delicious as it is deadly!

A view of the waterfall around which the L-shaped bar hooks.

Even the trash cans must be nestled within tiki glory!

Every inch of the backyard has been put to good use.

Another bartender. Starting to get dark. Goodnight, folks!

Oh, Mother! The blood! The blood!

[ Edited by: Satan's Sin 2006-07-02 22:27 ]

O

We want to say thanks to all who made our second annual mele bigger and better. We couldn't do this without you. It was great to see old friends and make some new ones.

Thanks to everyone who brought gifts, food, booze and their great aloha spirit. We had a wonderful time. Makes all the work worthwhile. We have to say.....boy can you guys eat and drink.

The guest bartenders worked their tails off!! Bongwater cocktails, MonkeyPods, Suffering Bastards, Mai Tais & Beach Bums all being consumed in mass quantity. They were all very tasty.

Thanks to all who helped behind the scenes with setting up and cleaning up. We were exhausted!! The party lasted to 2:30 and we had 11 overnight guests. We were all a little rough the next morning.

We even had a few celebrities. The newest member of the Kick the Reverb family, Ofel, made her first tiki party at only 1 week old and there was an Alvis sighting in the waterfall. I think somebody got his picture.

Special thanks to Matt Reese for the 'OnaTiki logo painting that created some great photo ops.

Mele pictures

We've already had reservations for next year. Can't wait!!

See you all again at ITD!!!
'OnaTiki & Moki

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Jul 3, 2006 10:06 AM

Who'da thought paradise would be found at the corner of Clairemont Mesa and Clairemont Drive?

That was the best. The best hosts and the best party people anywhere, and I still say Ona has the best Tiki Bar in SoCal, 'bar' none. It was really a pleasure in every way, gee, I miss that waterfall jacuzzi already.

Hey, check out the as yet uncut palm tree trunk waiting to be hacked out back? And the mug collection with the primo triple-shrunken headed 32 ozer?

And where can we order a six-pack of those glasses??? I didn't heist any cause they is family and I'd be ashamed of myself in the morning, but I want some!

Thank you folks, that was amazing.

Gotta say another over the top( in a good way) party at Ric and Monicas place this year.
I was kinda hesitant to bring so many Chicken and Steak Kabobs,
but I guess it was plenty or could have been more. :wink:
I was bummed to have gotten there a bit late cause of traffic, but
we made up for it in no time short.
Was great to see so many people there. Was it more than last year?
I'm kinda regretting forgetting my swim suit and not joining Alvis and Ric in the Pond. But I did dunk my head.

Great times as always, thanks sooo much for having us all to your place.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

MR

Thanks to Ric and Monica for a wonderful afternoon. I had a blast. I'd like to thank Monkeyman for the shirt and the hats for the kids. We used them at the fair yesterday, they were perfect. I'd also like to thank Rina for the pirate lighterrrrrrr. Can't wait for the next one. Sorry the drive was so lame for everyone coming from the north. Kirby- watch that Redbull intake!
Cheers to all
Matt

H

Many many thanks to Ona and Moki for such a great party. I know we got there late but we had a great time. Hope I didn't wear you out talking away into the late hours of the night. Mrs. Fury it was a pleasure doing business with you :), Monica you are so nice it is unbelievable. Hope to see you all soon.

B

Thanks to Ric & Monica for the good times. They are the ultimate hosts and their place is something you have to see in person to fully appreciate. Hula Hula, OnaTiki and I ate all the ceviche and poke before the guests arrived. Don't miss out next year. We did not get any night time shots, but the place sets another mood when it gets dark.

Their bar set up is tops.

Tiki-Kate & Al-ii sharing an early quiet moment.

Moki & Mrs. Monkeyman having a laugh.

Monkeyman with one of the nicer green Bong Water cocktails.

Jon Paul checking out Spermy's new hair.

PolyPop & Stephanie

Jen (Mrs. Gavin), Mrs. Fury and Hula Hula.

The proud parents.....Ofel is traumatized by her first Tiki Central Party.

Hula Hula can barely keep his Bong Water down while Tyger Jimmy and PolyPop encourage him on.

The hand is quicker than the eye! Me & Dr. Z doing dual duty behind the bar. "Where's my flip-flops?"

Thanks to all who enjoyed my cocktail and to Cyntiki for stealing lemmons from the neighbors tree so I could do a third round. It did taste better than it looked. Thanks to all the hippies for letting me use their bong remnants.....it went to good use. Thanks to our hosts and all that helped out. Full keg.....gone, light rum.......all gone, any food.....you guessed it. Nice to see Bosko & Truus again and all the great TCers that made it a fun place to be.

"Don't fuck with Uncle Bob when he's been drinking!"
Don't fuck with the cat either.
Or Mrs. Fury

Damn Cat, Me and Jon Paul can attest to it's viciosness.
we both got clawed, him so bad it drew blood.
Then the cat had enough balls to lay on my pillow, before I was ready for bed, then when I was hittin the hay, came over and wanted to sleep on top of my blanket, I was under.
needless to say, I say take a hike cat, but didn't hurt it.
Just shoo'd it away. I am a ex cat owner, and don't advocate animal violence.
Love your Post Bongofury, too funnny.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

Thank you, Ric and Monica, for having us to your party. I'm still recovering (just catching up on sleep)! Here are a few pics:

Ran, making the famous Reverb Crash

Al, concocting a few mean Mai Tais

Some of my favorite drinking partners

O

Tigger is happy that all the damn "hippies" in the circle on the lawn are gone :wink:

He'll challenge anyone to a fight. Just give him a chance to get his fighting goggles on.

At 15 years old, he's the self appointed bouncer of the 'OnaTiki Lounge. He's even got his own uniform.

Just be thankful that only a couple of you shed blood. He really is a lover. He can't wait to see you all again.

that's hilarious, I'm dying over here.
does he check ID too??

Jeff(bigtikidude)
p.s. I may have long hair, but I ain't no stinking hipppie.
no offense to any hippies( much):-)

Thanks for the invite. I had a great time.

Mark

On 2006-07-03 21:38, OnaTiki wrote:
Tigger is happy that all the damn "hippies" in the circle on the lawn are gone :wink:

He'll challenge anyone to a fight. Just give him a chance to get his fighting goggles on.

At 15 years old, he's the self appointed bouncer of the 'OnaTiki Lounge. He's even got his own uniform.

Just be thankful that only a couple of you shed blood. He really is a lover. He can't wait to see you all again.

I found Tigger hangin' on the curb out front. I picked him up and brought him in the house. The whole time he wuz givin' me this look like "who are YOU, and what the hell are you doin'!?" Sorry Tigger, just a drunkin' out-of-control cat lover. We're freinds now.

M

As always, it was a fantastic party! We feel very fortunate to be able to hang out with such a great fun group of people. Never a dull moment because there are always such diverse individuals, all connected by their love of tiki. For me, this event was the perfect example of why I'm part of Tiki Central. Thanks Ric & Monica for making it happen!

We were there for around 7 hours and were totally exhausted (in a very good way) by the time we left. During our bartending stint we found that the intake of drinks was in direct proportion to the incredible heat. We mixed in excess of 50 drinks in just over 60 minutes. Man, this crowd can really put'em away!

Thanks also to everyone who added to the night with food, drink, and hard work. Cheers!

ModMana :drink:

Z
Zaya posted on Tue, Jul 4, 2006 5:47 PM

Thank you Ric and Monica for a great party! Buzzy and I had a fun time being able to meet everyone. I took some pictures while we were there and thought you'd enjoy them.

Zaya

Kirby, Buzzy and Ona

Buzzy and Bongofury

Buzzy and Spermy

TheGarz and Buzzy showing off their guns!

Buzzy checking out Ona's future projects.

DoctorZ showing off his new shark teeth!

B

C

Still waking up from our paradisial dream down at Onatiki's. In detox yesterday but coming back to life today.

What an awesome time we had. We really need to buy up the property in the neighborhood to create our Tiki commune and retirement village. Most all my favorite peeps were there, my face hurt from all the laughing.

Our hosts Ric & Monica are always so gracious with drink, food and comfort. Monica scrounged up every last crumb she could find and got up the next morning and fed us bacon, eggs & fluffy pancakes.

Thanks to all the bartenders. Rich and Marianne-you were tireless and your drinks were tasty! Ron-Bongwaters, my new favorites in all colors! Derek's Monkeypods my old favorite! Sorry Al, I was on Diet coke & water during your shift, but picked up a Reverb Crash & ½ a Sharkbite.

Loved the new cocktail glasses, picked up my set of eight for a very reasonable price. Party-goers special.

You're future is uncertain and murky

Mrs. Crash the Reverb (Dale) & Princess Ofel. One week old and sweet as can be.

Polypop & Stephanie

Hut People

"Wooly", I mean Spermy drinking a Shark Bite

A Shark Bite in one of those fine Onatiki cocktail glasses.

Thanks again to all! Enjoyed all! Can't wait to see you all soon!

Thanks OnaTiki & Moki for having us, it was fun bringing litte Ofel to her first part, gotta start'em young.
The party was great - good drinks, good food, good company (and we all know how fabulous the Ona Tiki Bar & Grill is).
Thanks to everyone who offered advice for dealing with the newborn.
I appologize for not serving as many drinks as requested, but I didn't bring my own ingeredients this time (Just GF juice), but I did manage to mix 6 KeelHualed (that's the pic on the previous page), and afew more Reverb Crashes.
Can't wait for ITD!
Thanks again,
Ran

Well the desert rat is back in Phoenix, recuping from a great weekend in my fave city. Ona and Moki, of course your party was the highlight of the trip. Thanks so much for your generosity and incredible hospitality. The food and drink was awesome. Sorry, I didn't get to hook up with you again, but I was trying to cover a lot of ground in the short time I had. A special thanks to all the mixologists for their delicious concoctions. I was definitely feeling no pain as the night progressed. It was great seeing the old gang again, and making some new friends along the way. Hope to see everyone again soon!!!!

~~Cuzin Dave

That Pic of Spermy above, drinking the shark bite, at a quick glance looked like he was smoking out of a bong. Now why would I think such a thing????

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Finally! A moment to post a few words!

The second time around was even better than the first! Ona and Moki, class act hosts all around. The atmosphere was perfect as usual. Food and drinks, superb. The chefs and bartenders were ON that day! Missed the MonkeyPods and Suffering Bastards by THAT much though! Grrrrr ! Sooooooo good to see so many people again. Made new friends, too!

If you missed this, you missed a truly wonderful afternoon and evening with some of the nicest people I know. I was later than I'd have liked to be but timing is indeed everything! (*Matt, thanks for the help AND the painting! Got my cards read by Al.( it's kinda vague, huh? hehe;) )Jim, can't say enough about those floats! *)

Can't wait to do it again next year! Consider this my RSVP in advance.. waaaaay in advance!

Pages: 1 2 69 replies