Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 7

Pages: 1 2 94 replies

T

On 2007-01-09 13:57, hodadhank wrote:

On 2007-01-09 11:47, TikiJosh wrote:
...how about we stop with the accusations of "clandestine financial arrangements" or whatever... Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

It's unfortunate my vocabulary put you on the defense TJ, not that Otto needs you to defend him to be sure. Let's face it, Otto does more for tiki before breakfast than most of us do all week. FYI, clandestine does not necessarily mean disingenuous....

It might not necessarily mean disingenous, but it can, and that was the implication I got. If I misunderstood your meaning, my bad. The internet is funny like that. :)
But that's neither here nor there. Rather than picking on word choice, I was trying to say let's give Otto the benefit of the doubt. I'd say that his past efforts :drink: at least warrant that.

I also feel that if we complain about the way Otto handles things, maybe he'll tell us to shove Tiki Oasis, and he won't plan it for us anymore. Well, I haven't got the time or the money to undertake event planning like this, and the only other people I know who do run Hukilau in Florida.

I think we can all be a little more positive, even if we are a bit confused about who gets to do what when they're staying wherever. If people are getting email responses to questions, then let's post them here so everyone can benefit (thanks to dibroc who already started). Otto does a bang-up job on Tiki Oasis every year, and while you can't please everyone, I think he makes an admirable attempt. :)

[ Edited by: TikiJosh 2007-01-09 17:06 ]

C

However, considering all the ranting going on here, I think we'll be lucky if Otto doesn't just throw his hands up in the air and tell us all to plan it ourselves. Let's think about just how much work goes into producing this event and give the guy a break. I'm sure Otto will take everything into consideration and come up with what he sees as the most equitable solution for as many people as possible. Let's all be thankful that we have someone like Otto who is willing to put so much effort into producing such a huge, fun event!

Otto, who, has now had children for a few of years, I'm sure has come to expect this sort of behavior from the kids. As any wise parent knows, don't let you're kids know anything until you are ready to be pestered to F@%'N death with questions. Even when you are trying to do something nice for them.

YEESH!

:wink:

ST

I'll be disconnected then I guess, I'll be staying with Buzzy so I can steal his new flexi's when he's not looking, then run over to Tikiland and steal all of Cobains mugs...
Otto can't wait til August now! Last year was great!

O
Otto posted on Tue, Jan 9, 2007 5:54 PM

On 2007-01-05 00:37, SoccerTiki wrote:
Follow me here:
Get a room for 4 nights with 2 passes for both nights and a FREE mug for $680...Then have 2 more people share the room cost of $600 so it's only $300 per couple for 4 nights. That takes the cost of the room down to $75 per night per couple OR $37.50 per night per person. Then the additional 2 people can just pay $40 each for the Fri/Sat event passes and buy their own mug if they want one. So... 1 person could effectually stay at the Hanalei 4 nights AND go to Fri/Sat events for only $190!!!!

One thing Otto....Are the room prices good for up to 4 people per room????

My mistake, yes, rooms are good for up to four people!!!!

218 days
5252 hours
315168 minutes
18910102 seconds

!!!!!!!!!!!! Hurry !!!!!!!!!

O
Otto posted on Tue, Jan 9, 2007 6:27 PM

On 2007-01-09 15:50, SoccerTiki wrote:
Chill out on Saturday & Sunday shopping in our poolside bazaar featuring over forty vendors...." and NOT be allowed in the "poolside bazaar"???

Otto, this is a question to you. (An open forum answer might resolve some confusion others have.) Thanks a bunch! I also appreciate what you are doing to make T.O.7 a reality....

Hey everyone, thanks for your posts and opinions which I value and consider when planning the event. Although it is a lot of info to digest I do not take offense in Tiki folks questioning aspects of the event.

Your ticket/wristband allows you onto the property and into the event. There will be a Friday wristband, Sat wristband, and an all-weekend wristband. (or I might just make it one flat rate price of $40) There will be security checking these all day and night Friday and all day and night Saturday. On Saturday the security check points leading into the center of the property will require room key in addition to wristband. The daytime seminars are accessible to rooms that are outside of the grass/pool area and outside of the security checkpoints.

First off, to Vendors: Last year I advertised to the San Diego general public and I thought it brought in a few people but half the vendors closed early on Sunday and the vendors that wanted to stay open were left in a ghost town. This year I intend to advertise to San Diegans that the bazaar is only open on Sunday, thereby driving all that traffic to the second day of vending and making it more worthwhile for all. Last year we only had 150 rooms in the hotel (300 guests?). This year we have over 400 rooms in the hotel - that's 800 guests unless they are 4 to a room then its even more. Therefore on Saturday your traffic should be 3-4 times what it was last year. If you thought it was busy last year then this year it will be downright crowded. Do you really want to add another 100 - 200 shoppers from San Diego into that mess?
I strongly urge vendors to plan accordingly.

Shoppers: San Diego locals - I am not trying to exclude you but I do need to offer incentives to guests who book into the hotel rather than staying at the Motel 6 or some other hotel up the street where I do not get a commission. It is also a necessity in order to control capacity issues. You locals that are in the know and can contact vendors prior to the event and make special arrangements for limited edition items or have friends buy select items for you on Sat. All vendors will be listed on the website along with their URLs or email addresses so that with minimal footwork you could contact all of them directly. Please understand that there is no way that the event can be everything for everyone. No matter what I do there will be someone who gets the short end of something. You can also book a room at the hotel for two nights and eliminate the need to drive home drunk?

Remember the last two TO in Palm Springs shopping was open only to attendees of the event due to capacity issues. Some LA folks wanted to drive out and just shop. Was that exclusionary to them, or the PS locals?

ST

Ok, that makes sense Otto, just don't let me drink too much sat nite! August heat with a hangover plus 5000 shoppers, sounds fun!

I strongly urge vendors to plan accordingly.

Yes! I will be looking for a ton more mugs, as I have just purchased a lovely antique rattan shelving unit. It's 5 shelves are wickedly and embarassingly bare! Also, will need some wall hanging tikis (larger the better), a HUGE tiki to stand guard out front and piss of my neighbors, various chatchkies and knick knacks, any vintage junk/stuff, clothing, shoes, art, mid century mod furniture, etc...

I have a savings account labeled Tiki Mad Money Fund... it's growing! I WILL be using it ALL at TO7! Bringing long bed pick up to haul all my booty home.... so get to craftin!

BTW: Due to my famous lack of any memory what so ever, can any one tell me who it was that I bought the fab watch from? It has the lil tiles with old tiki establishments that were done by the very talented gal's hubby, I THINK. And I wear it EVERY day! And now a few rels want one. Will she be there again to vend?
(Please, don't take offense: I called my youngest Carter for a week before I realized that wasn't her name tag, it was the brand tag hanging out her PJs.)

Hau 'oli Tiki, I believe you are referring to the lovely and talented Stacey Morris, wife of Doug AKA Swamp Fire Lounge. Her website is http://happychijewelry.com if you want to contact her to confirm that she will be there.

Otto! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE invite the Smokin' Menehunes to participate this year!

Thanks Cheeky Half!
That was Stacy. And now I remember she did tell me she was Doug Horne's fiance! Her new resin tile necklaces are so awesome! I want "Tikifest" to match the watch I got last year! There was not a contact on her site, though. So Stacy, if you see this... PLEASE vend this year!! Bring lots!

Otto,
have you released any info on how to be a vendor for TO7? We are considering the trip, just trying to decide if it's financially feasible.

On 2007-01-09 14:09, Hiphipahula wrote:
but if you were all face to face with each other would you be so rude.

I would!! 95% of the others wouldn't! ( then I'd go smash some mugs!! :) )

This happens every year. People freak out with anticipation. Then, the event goes on, and everyone has a blast!!!

If the Cult of the Eye get's that room again, everyone is doomed!!!!!

p.s. finally looked up the Creepy Creeps on youtube.
I HOPE THEY PLAY!!! Me been missing some good shit!!! Doh!!

S.D. Rocks!!!

M
Moki posted on Fri, Jan 12, 2007 9:44 PM

Stacey is planning on vending at this year's Oasis. I'm sure she'll be glad to hear you're excited to get some of her stuff. It's really cool and so is she :wink:

TL

Otto I'm ready, when can we start booking the big weekend!!.

Does anyone know if Ape will be performing???

On 2007-01-12 19:53, RevBambooBen wrote:... finally looked up the Creepy Creeps on youtube. I HOPE THEY PLAY!!! ... S.D. Rocks!!!

Creepy Creeps! HELL YES!

OTTO,

You should get the Creepy Creeps to play,

Pool Side!!!!

You only live once man!!!

Yes get the Creepy Creeps to play Dammit!!

If Ape's not playing I'm not going....

Does anybody else think this looks like fun? Aye dios meo!

[ Edited by: hodadhank 2007-01-14 12:56 ]

They look creeptacular....great pix. :tiki:

Attention Global Ohana:

If you are attending Oasis 7 and have not had the pleasure of digging The Smoking Menehunes perform live, now's your chance to put a bug in Otto's ear.

The Smoking Menehunes play some of the best vintage Hawaiian swing you're likely to find without a time machine. (...and they're cool cats, Heck you may have been rapping with some of the band members right here on TikiCentral and not even known it!)

They played the Reef Bar at OasisIV and are tighter than ever now. Lets bring them back to Tiki OasisVII.

The Martini Kings & The Smoking Menehunes would be perfect pairing for one of California's greatest Tiki Temples!

Otto, Please bring The Menehunes to Oasis7!!!

On 2007-01-14 10:22, VampiressRN wrote:
They look creeptacular....great pix. :tiki:

Yes VampiressRN they're complete freaks! In case you missed it, their keyboard is played in a little coffin!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=10725625

WOOOHOOOO! Smokin Menehunes would be a Tiki-rific addition to the line up at Oasis!!!

Oh Yea!! And Ape, like you mentioned before!
I remember last year, it was my first time seeing Ape perform. Oh. My. God! Hooked. I'd a thrown my panties up there. If I'd a been wearin any. I'll bring extras this year, just in case.
WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
Good times.

On 2007-01-15 10:04, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:
...And APE... I'd a thrown my panties up there. If I'd a been wearin any. I'll bring extras this year, just in case.

Does APE make you horny baby? Yeah!!!!!

Hey! What about WAITIKI?!!

http://www.waitiki.com/

Now that would be something. Ahhh, good listening... :)

On 2007-01-16 10:56, hodadhank wrote:
Hey! What about WAITIKI?!!

http://www.waitiki.com/

Hell yeah! TO7! Party in Mr.& Mrs. Bamboo's room where we will break shit :D

O
Otto posted on Thu, Jan 25, 2007 10:34 PM

On 2007-01-12 12:38, frostiki wrote:
Otto,
have you released any info on how to be a vendor for TO7? We are considering the trip, just trying to decide if it's financially feasible.

Please email me directly to get on the vendor info list
[email protected]

TT

Can't wait for Tiki Oasis 07 after having such a blast at Oasis 6.. I'm sure all the details will work out fine in otto's capable hands.. Also looking forward to seeing all the great (drunk) people that i met last year again.. Saving for my accom and gonna book a flight soon.. Any other Australians coming????

When will tickets go on sale? I am saving my pennies. :)

S

Will kids be allowed at all the events? Thurs at The Bali Hai as well? Do they need a ticket? Cost?

I say stop the bitchin' and freaking out and let Otto do his thang. You know it is gonna kick ass! Has Tiki Oasis ever sucked? Answer... NO So Don't worry!

T.F.

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2007-02-18 22:18 ]

S

Say what you want Tiki Fink, but some of us have legitimate questions to ask that are crucial to the planning. The deadline for for the vendors NON-refundable deposit and the discount hotel rates is less than a month away. Yes, Tiki Oasis always, um, "kicks ass" as you put it, but Otto doesn't always think of everything, and has previously admitted he appreciates TC'ers input and bringing overlooked items to his attention. Often times, if you don't ask, you won't know.

Let the curious ask, the bitchers bitch, and the planners plan. It's all part of the process, and it's how it has worked every year.

O
Otto posted on Sat, Feb 24, 2007 10:08 PM

On 2007-02-18 20:49, seamus wrote:
Will kids be allowed at all the events? Thurs at The Bali Hai as well? Do they need a ticket? Cost?

As always, kids under 18 are allowed in free to all events, including Thursday night at Bali Hai (it is a restaurant)

TF

On 2007-02-19 08:58, seamus wrote:
Say what you want Tiki Fink, but some of us have legitimate questions to ask that are crucial to the planning. The deadline for for the vendors NON-refundable deposit and the discount hotel rates is less than a month away. Yes, Tiki Oasis always, um, "kicks ass" as you put it, but Otto doesn't always think of everything, and has previously admitted he appreciates TC'ers input and bringing overlooked items to his attention. Often times, if you don't ask, you won't know.

Let the curious ask, the bitchers bitch, and the planners plan. It's all part of the process, and it's how it has worked every year.

Well stated Seamus! I just wanted to give some props to Otto. That's all.

I've tried for a coupla days now to access http://www.tikioasis.com and it keeps saying "Forbidden"?????

O
Otto posted on Thu, Mar 1, 2007 8:05 PM

On 2007-03-01 17:34, SoccerTiki wrote:
I've tried for a coupla days now to access http://www.tikioasis.com and it keeps saying "Forbidden"?????

It's forbidden, as in Forbidden Island!!
Just kidding, I have someone working on the site and they accidentally disconnected it
There is nothing on the site right now anyways that cannot be seen at http://www.tikinews.com

I will post to TC as soon as the site is up

On 2007-03-01 17:34, SoccerTiki wrote:

That was just for You Soccer Tiki,

Just razzin'

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Ordering is up and running!!

Yee Haw....just got my tickets for Friday & Saturday night. Also making reservations for the Bali Hai on Thursday evening. This will be my first Oasis, so really looking forward to it.

I will be staying with family in the area, so doing my shopping on Sunday. I will probably have a few friends with me, but driving down Thursday, leaving early that morning. Any of you NorCals going, and interested in doing a convoy? I usually grab lunch at the El Toritos in Valencia and catch up on gossip with some friends that live in that area. It is a nice break on the road and they have fabulous Pineapple Martinis.

El Toritos
Valencia CA, 91355
27510 The Old Road
Phone: 661-254-2994
Fax: 661-254-1478
West on Magic Mnt. Parkway off I-5

R

I'm baaaaack!

Have fez, will travel!

Looking forward to seeing everyone out on the west coast again.

I hope there will be a room crawl/stagger again this year.

B

Yeah! I am sooo excited about Tiki Oasis! Otto is going to send out the official e-mail with all the goodies but I just am so excited to post that my dance troupe The Devil-Ettes will perform this year! Every year people ask me why we don't perform and this year I was able to make it a possibility. I think people will have fun with our troupe and the best part is we will teach a dance class this year.... By the end of the weekend YOU too will know how to do the Frug, the Hully Gully, The Swim and the Whirly bird! I love keeping the art of go go alive!

Otto and I are very excited that the event will be so much bigger this year! You won't believe all the shake-ups we have had trying to launch our website and our ticketing. Whew! It is still not exactly perfect but we are still thrilled to get the show on the road and have launched the website. Of course Otto and I have such a love for the Tiki Oasis that we were willing to go through just about anything including the months of frustration to make the event a success. That being said give a few days for your questions to be answered.... hopefully you can find most answers on the website.

See ya in San Diego!
XOXO Baby Doe

O
Otto posted on Tue, Mar 6, 2007 12:22 AM

Please post all future replies and inquiries in the new thread that I started

Pages: 1 2 94 replies