Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

United airlines serving Trader Vic's Mai Tais!!!

Pages: 1 2 50 replies

S

got this today...

Get in the mood for your trip to paradise while still in the air! We're pleased to announce that Trader Vic's world-famous cocktails and award-winning food will be served on all flights between the U.S. mainland and Hawaii beginning this August.*

Passengers in United First® can start their trip by sampling a Trader Vic's original Mai Tai and fresh garden salad with the Trader's own Javanese dressing. The main course will include tantalizing restaurant favorites like Macadamia Nut-Crusted Mahi Mahi, Trader Vic's barbecue-glazed short ribs and pan-seared chicken with miso-sake sauce. Dessert features an ice cream sundae smothered in Trader Vic's praline sauce.

Passengers in United Economy® will also enjoy menus designed by Trader Vic's, so bring your appetite and savor island flavors on board your next flight to or from Hawaii

P
pablus posted on Thu, Jul 6, 2006 2:28 PM

Now THAT's good news.

Thanks.

I think I'll fly the frenly skysh more offn.

That would be the best flight ever!

D

what will they serve us in Cattle Class?

TV Mai-Tais on an aircraft?

Well, I say go whole-hog!

I would heartily enjoy a TV Mai-Tai in any one of these settings:

TWA Stratoliner Lounge.

The proposed lounge in the super-fabulous Airbus A380 double-decker.

Friends of Austin Powers enjoy the Boeing 747's lounge.

Pan Am Clipper "Smoking" lounge.

A Western Airlines Hostess serves refreshments in the lounge.

Things start to heat up in the 747's lounge.

Douglas DC-6 Sky Lounge.

Another view of the DC-6 Sky Lounge.

Who wants to join me?

OL

It was funny seeing this thread, because I just recently found a "Trader Vic's Recipes Presented by United Air Lines" book at the flea market. Undated, but looks like its from the 1970's.

It has recipes for pupus, entrees, and deserts that were supposedly served on United Air Lines at the time, including Alaska King Crab Mai Tai Style, Chicken Dali Dali, and Macadamia Nut Wisp.

Nowadays, we're lucky to get a bag of peanuts.

Great news... We need a return to the grand ole days of transatlantic flights - and this is a step in the right direction!! Let's move away from peanuts, sweats, cattle-carts...and bring glamour back to flight!!
BTW Satan's Sin, are those pics of the sky lounges "real" (did lounges actually exist on planes?) or just artist renderings?

Conga --

All the photos are real; the first picture is of course an illustration but of something real. These lounges really did exist. Except for the Airbus lounge, which is a mock up, and will only truly exist if the ordering airline decides to install one.

If you have time, watch this video from the Prelinger Archives about the "soon to come" transatlantic flights on the Boeing 707 ... one scene shows passengers relaxing in the 707's lounge ... a passenger takes out a cigarette and the stewardess (dressed in a sharp, beautifully-tailored uniform) takes out her lighter and lights the passenger's cigarette:

http://www.archive.org/details/612Magic1958

PLT

Wow.. that's great news considering United almost went bankrupt. I'd actually consider flying them if they offer this service and they code share with Air Canada too, so I could use points.
Thanks for the lounge pictures Satan's Sin, I love the 'Golden Era' of flying when every class was pretty much first. The days when flying was actually an enjoyable experience (including the airport).
I have a collection of cutlery and china plates from CP Air (Air Canada's formal rival), Wardair (Canadian Charter Airline) and Lufthansa that were used in Economy Class service!
If a TV Mai Tai (or two) and some peanuts is all I get, I'd be a happy passenger!

I say sipping a properly-made Mai Tai in a tasteful lounge is what separates us from the animals.

G

On 2006-07-06 08:10, sweetpea wrote:
Passengers in United Economy® will also enjoy menus designed by Trader Vic's

...like Hula Hot Dogs and Polynesian Pretzels. Yum!

M

It is about time! United's budget carrier "TED" has been serving Trader Vic's "Famous" Margarita for at least a year! Comes in a little bottle with a Trader Vic's label. I never knew their margarita was famous!! :)

P

Here's a shot of my lady Holly and I about to sip on these ono Trader Vic's Mai Tais (modified with double Myers :wink:) aboard United Airlines, headed over to the islands:

I'm wearing my Disneyland/United Airlines/Enchanted Tiki Room Cast Member aloha shirt from the '60's there (United used to sponsor Tiki Room). Which is sorta apropos, don't 'ya think? :wink:

[ Edited by: PremEx 2009-05-10 10:38 ]

Awesome photo! I can't help but feel incredibly envious...

S

That's awesome!
Did any of the untied folks notice or comment on your
shirt?
Those look like some yummy mai tais! Wish I had
one right now!!!
Pea

P

On 2006-09-21 08:29, sweetpea wrote:
Did any of the untied folks notice or comment on your
shirt?

Well, one thing about Flight Attendant seniority is that Hawaii is so popular and so many of the "old timers" have semi-retired to Hawaii...that the Hawaii flights are the ones where you consistently get many of the older FAs that are keeping their employment benefits alive. And it's those older FAs that seem to notice my United/Disneyland/Tiki shirt most often. Probably because they visited Disneyland a lot in those days when United sponsored the attraction.

So, yes...it's been spotted many times, but mostly by the older gals.

I don't wear it on every flight over and back, but usually on at least one of them.

When you've been flying United as often and sometimes to the same places, and as many years as I have...you start to know some of the FAs pretty well. Some are like family!

Here's a shot of a great gal that's like an older sister to me, that we ran into on our return flight. Her name is Beverly and she's been with United since...well...I better not tell you. But she's #2 in seniority in the entire company! The other gal is Marianne...who I've flown with many, many times too and who we hung out with in Tokyo on one of our trips about 4 years ago:

Not the United/Disneyland/Tiki aloha shirt there. But a Mickey Mouse one instead.

:)

[ Edited by: PremEx 2009-05-10 10:43 ]

I Love this thread!!!

Found this picture from an early 70's Boeing sales brochure for the 747. Note the wall decor behind the lounging couple.

P

Here's what that same 747 upstairs lounge (and the same seat that that couple is sitting in) looked like much later (and looks today in storage) when they retired that bird:

Note the decor has changed to a more "smoked glass" look of the 70's. Sure miss those upstairs "Piano Lounges" on those old 747's.

Back to United's Trader Vic's promotion...United has had an on-again/off-again relationship with Trader Vic's for decades. Here's some publicity shots of one of their earlier promotions that show Vic himself with some United Flight Attendants and some of United's Executive Chefs. Take a look at the photo on the bottom left, of the spread of Vic's food they used to serve in First Class back then!

[ Edited by: PremEx 2009-05-10 10:52 ]

K

Those days are gone for good - you could never get those wooden skewers and Bacardi 151 through security!

It's also sad to be reminded how great an airline United once was. Last time I flew United to the mainland, the right speaker on my headset stopped working. I went to the aft of the plane and asked a steward for another one. He grabbed the headset, threw it in the trash, and said "All the equipment on this airline is shit!"

Comforting words at 30,000 feet.

Trader Vic food and drink is at least a step in the right direction, and should help passengers (and hopefully crew) ease into the Aloha Spirit.

P

Just came across my old Trader Vic's United Airlines Recipe book that they gave away to First Class passengers back in the 1970's. This one is dated March 1972. It's 8x10 inches in size, printed on heavy textured card stock. It's kind of fun to read and has some nice funky 70's Menehune art in it. Enjoy!

[ Edited by: PremEx 2006-11-25 15:58 ]

I

Thanks for posting the recipe book. Love the artwork.

P

Here's another old Trader Vic/United Airlines item from 1972...special Trader Vic Routes!

I love what's being posted here. Terrific images. So, PremEx, let's get to the important question: How do the Mai Tai's on the flights taste? I wouldn't expect them to be as good as the real deal since I'm sure they're made from a mix. But they might be good enough to make the trip enjoyable.

P

So, PremEx, let's get to the important question: How do the Mai Tai's on the flights taste? I wouldn't expect them to be as good as the real deal since I'm sure they're made from a mix. But they might be good enough to make the trip enjoyable.

They're excellent for semi-scratch ones...IMHO, and we always look forward to them! They use the Trader Vic's Mai Tai Mix (not the pre-made Mai Tai with booze already included stuff). In First Class they start with Trader Vic's Mai Tai Mix, fresh squeezed lime juice, then a float of Trader Vic's Dark Rum (sometimes they substitute Meyer's Dark Rum...must be an inventory issue), garnished with a United Tiki swizzle-stick with pineapple spear, lime slice, and a cherry. In a real Mai Tai glass. Most often they also have Trader Vic's Silver Rum onboard too, and they ask if you'd like both light and dark rums, or have a preference for one over the other. But the default is the dark rum. Back in Economy they're doing basically the same thing without as much garnish and in a standard airline cocktail plastic cup.

So IMHO...United does a great job with their airborne Mai Tais. At United's private membership Red Carpet Club at Honolulu Airport...one of the bartenders makes fantastic Mai Tais from scratch! And you can sit there by the window to enjoy it while looking at your final view of Diamond Head past the runways. :)

The Trader Vic's food items in First are a selection of 3 Vic's entrées and assorted accompaniments using Trader recipes and ingredients. Ice Cream sundae topped with the Trader's Praline sauce topping. Very nice.

United has had a long on again/off again relationship with Trader Vic's over the years. This one is just their latest.

United is one of the only major legacy airlines that serves Mai Tais to/from Hawaii. Even when there is no official Trader Vics marketing promo going on...United serves basically the same Mai Tai...only sometimes substituting Mr. T's Mai Tai Mix for the Traders brand. But even then...most of the time it's Traders.

My United collection has tons of old Trader Vics/United paraphernalia in it. Tiki swizzlers, tiki coasters, glasses, promotional tiki key chains, etc, etc. Even United/Trader cookbooks that were sold in stores.

United's pretty much the only one of the majors where you get some Aloha spirit to Hawaii. Most of the others...it's just a flight like any other.

Although I do miss the old days when the United Flight Attendants (or Stewardesses as they were known then) wore special Aloha uniforms and mumus.

G

Thanks PremEx. That's good to hear. We're heading to Hawaii on vacation sometime next year (first timers) and United just might be the ticket to get us there! Although first class is probably not in the cards. :(

P

Thanks PremEx. That's good to hear. We're heading to Hawaii on vacation sometime next year (first timers) and United just might be the ticket to get us there! Although first class is probably not in the cards. :(

I'm headed to Honolulu on January 23rd on United for a quick 3 nighter Waikiki trip. I'll try to pay better attention to what they're serving in Economy and give an updated report for you on my return. :)

P
PremEx posted on Tue, Feb 6, 2007 7:31 PM

[i]On 2006-11-30 20:45, PremEx wrote:

I'm headed to Honolulu on January 23rd on United for a quick 3 nighter Waikiki trip. I'll try to pay better attention to what they're serving in Economy and give an updated report for you on my return. :)

Here's that report I promised:

Back in Economy on United they are serving the exact same Mai Tai as I described above in First Class...only in the standard plastic cocktail cup instead of a Mai Tai glass. Five bucks a pop. Darn good Mai Tais for an airline.

Back in Economy you have to pay $5 for any meal you order, but according to reports I've heard and read about on flyertalk.com...the Trader Vic's boxed meals are getting pretty darn good reviews. Here's some info from United's web site on those Economy meals:

Sandwich
Served on flights departing from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Trader Vic’s Turkey Wrap
Sliced mesquite turkey breast topped with crisp iceberg lettuce and sliced cucumber surrounded by a wasabi mayonnaise spread in a fresh tortilla wrap.

Trader Vic's Maui Chicken Sandwich
Grilled Oriental sliced chicken breast topped with provolone cheese, sliced red onion, and crisp iceberg lettuce with Trader Vic’s chutney mayonnaise blend, served on an Asiago cheese roll.

Trader Vic’s Roast Beef Sandwich
Thinly sliced roast beef, topped with Swiss cheese, sliced fresh red peppers and crisp romaine lettuce with a whole grain mustard mayonnaise, served on a Ciabatta roll.

Each served with a bag of chips.

Salad
Served on flights departing from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Chinatown Sesame Chicken Salad
Crisp romaine lettuce and radicchio, topped with sliced marinated sesame chicken, mandarin oranges, cucumber and sesame seed, served with an Asian sesame ginger dressing. Accompanied by a selection of fresh seasonal mixed fruit.

Harvest Moon Chopped Turkey Salad
Crisp Romaine lettuce topped with roasted turkey breast, chopped walnuts, Granny Smith apples, tomatoes, crumbled blue cheese, bacon, dried cranberries and olives, served with an Asian sesame ginger dressing. Accompanied by a selection of fresh seasonal fruit.

Hawaiian Chicken Salad
Grilled Oriental chicken breast, toasted macadamia nuts, pineapple, sliced red onion, tomato and hearts of palm, served atop a bed of crisp romaine lettuce, served with a honey Dijon dill vinaigrette dressing. Accompanied by a selection of fresh seasonal mixed fruit.

United also does a "Halfway To Hawaii" game onboard...where you can win some prizes if you come closest to guessing the time at which your plane hits the geographical half-way point to Hawaii.

So, other that the pretty good Mai Tais, decent Vic's food items, and the halfway game...there's no other "Aloha" business going on. The flight attendants used to have special alohawear...but no more. Still, it's a lot more than any other major does.

Now...from an inquiry I made on your behalf on FlyerTalk asking "Who's got the best economy service to Hawaii with Aloha spirit?"...the general consensus other than United Airlines, was Hawaiian Airlines. That alternative was based on local flight attendants and alohawear that gives a bit of island flavor to your flight. But Hawaiian Airlines Mai Tais were pretty much panned as awful...the kind that's pre-made with booze already in it outta a can or something.

So I think your best bets would be United or Hawaiian.

One more thing about United though. They have the forward section of the Economy cabin designated as "Economy Plus." This special section has a few more inches of legroom at each seat, than the rest of Economy. Seats in this section are available for no extra charge to elite members of their Mileage Plus program (those that fly more than 25,000 miles a year). However...they do sell the ability to snag one of these Economy Plus seats to the general public, for a $49 surcharge per flight. Just something else to consider.

Hope this helps a bit.

Great ephemora...those pictures are great. Lucky to get a pillow and pretzels these days on a plane. :(

G

On 2007-02-06 19:31, PremEx wrote:
Now...from an inquiry I made on your behalf on FlyerTalk asking "Who's got the best economy service to Hawaii with Aloha spirit?"...the general consensus other than United Airlines, was Hawaiian Airlines. That alternative was based on local flight attendants and alohawear that gives a bit of island flavor to your flight. But Hawaiian Airlines Mai Tais were pretty much panned as awful...the kind that's pre-made with booze already in it outta a can or something.

So I think your best bets would be United or Hawaiian.

As it turns out, we're flying Hawaiian out and Aloha back due to departure times, cost, etc. Do you know how Aloha ranks?

Thanks for the info PremEx!

P
PremEx posted on Thu, Feb 8, 2007 4:47 PM

Do you know how Aloha ranks?

All I can tell you is that nobody over on FlyerTalk recommended them over Hawaiian Airlines. But here's the link to the thread where I asked the question:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630899

...so you can read for yourself. FYI...most of the respondents in that thread live in Hawaii and commute to the mainland often. So I figure they know what they are talking about. Especially FlyerTalker cblaisd...who's very experienced in this area (see his Post #4).

My guess though would be that there's actually not a whole lot of difference between Hawaiian and Aloha's service. Just that Hawaiian might have some sort of slight advantage. So I wouldn't worry too much about your current booking if I were you.

Besides...you're going to be so depressed on your flight back to the mainland anyway...that it won't matter much that you're on Aloha on that one leg. :wink:

[ Edited by: PremEx 2007-02-08 16:50 ]

P

Just came across an old Tiki Menu from United Airlines. This is a menu that I got on a flight in Economy Class sometime in the early 1980's back when they offered specialized "Royal Hawaiian Service."

On 2007-02-08 16:47, PremEx wrote:
Besides...you're going to be so depressed on your flight back to the mainland anyway...that it won't matter much that you're on Aloha on that one leg. :wink:

Thanks for the info. I doubt I'll be too depressed on that leg though. Still have a couple of days to spend in LA after that. It's the LA to Orlando flight that I'll be depressed.

K

Aloha is a good airline - very friendly cabin staff, reliable on-time performance, and I even think they still give you fresh baked cookies in-route. The only problem is that they fly 737s on their mainland routes - that's a small plane to be in for 5 hours. Also, they generally fly to secondary airports like John Wayne, Burbank, Oakland, etc., so you probably won't come back to the same airport you departed from if you fly Hawaiian one way and Aloha the other.

I generally choose Hawaiian - I like the bigger 767s, and they fly to LAX and Vegas, but you're not going to go wrong either way.

One strange quirk about Hawaiian - they don't take cash for in-flight purchases. If you want that Mai Tai, you're going to have to use a credit or debit card. Weird and annoying.

P

Very sad to report that on or about September 4th 2008 and after over 3 decades of serving them...United Airlines has discontinued serving Mai Tais onboard its Hawaii bound flights. Cost savings in cost-of-goods and weight/fuel savings they say.

Also the Trader Vic's hot meals in First Class are now a thing of the past, with standard airline slop now being served.

I had heard this rumor prior to our flight to Maui the other day (where we are vacationing right now), but it was confirmed shortly after we boarded our flight from San Francisco to Maui.

This ends a long tradition of service to what United used to call its "Royal Hawaiian Service" to "Our Little Corner Of The World." Just another flight now.

Getting there isn't half as fun as it used to be. :(

TT

Almost any Mai Tai would be good on a long flight.... I could sink quite a few in 13 hours

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Apr 7, 2009 12:50 PM

Vintage postcard
Continental 747

The Ponape Lounge

That's a cool find. Now that we have the 747 Ponape Lounge and the 747 Polynesian Pub in Tiki Modern, we only need the other Lounge. Wonder if it had a Polynesian theme, too. You would need a Microscope to find anything Micronesian in the "Micronesia Room", though :).

Z
Zeta posted on Thu, Apr 9, 2009 3:38 PM

Is there any airline that serves mai tais in this day an age?
(Note to myself: Probably Hawaiian airlines... I'm not leaving continental America without a Mai tai in my hand... Maybe I will go there by boat...)
A tiki bar inside an airplane is probably the pinnacle of Polynesian Pop... let alone civilization!
Where is that Time machine when you need it!?

T

Ahh, these menus and descriptions make me dream of a classy, bygone era in aviation. I flew I forget which airline to Hawai'i in '05, and they served a "Trader Vic's Mai Tai". I ordered it, cost about $3. Sadly, it tasted like artificial (Tang) OJ and sickeningly-sweet (high-fructose corn syrup) mix. Couldn't taste any alcohol. But I'm just going to forget that ever happened, because the trip was fantastic.

Last time I was in Denver on a stopover (in January), they were serving TV pre-mixed tai tais in the UA Red Carpet Club lounge. They even had TV mai tai glasses. Maybe the relationship between Trader Vics and United Airlines is still alive to some extent. Of course, I have no idea if they're serving those in all their Red Carpet Clubs across the country...

Folks, this the post that STARTED this thread on page 1 :

On 2006-07-06 08:10, sweetpea wrote:
got this today...

Get in the mood for your trip to paradise while still in the air! We're pleased to announce that Trader Vic's world-famous cocktails and award-winning food will be served on all flights between the U.S. mainland and Hawaii beginning this August.*

Passengers in United First® can start their trip by sampling a Trader Vic's original Mai Tai and fresh garden salad with the Trader's own Javanese dressing. The main course will include tantalizing restaurant favorites like Macadamia Nut-Crusted Mahi Mahi, Trader Vic's barbecue-glazed short ribs and pan-seared chicken with miso-sake sauce. Dessert features an ice cream sundae smothered in Trader Vic's praline sauce.

Passengers in United Economy® will also enjoy menus designed by Trader Vic's, so bring your appetite and savor island flavors on board your next flight to or from Hawaii

On 2009-04-09 15:38, Zeta wrote:
Is there any airline that serves mai tais in this day an age?
(Note to myself: Probably Hawaiian airlines... I'm not leaving continental America without a Mai tai in my hand... Maybe I will go there by boat...)
A tiki bar inside an airplane is probably the pinnacle of Polynesian Pop... let alone civilization!
Where is that Time machine when you need it!?

Hawaiian Airlines definitely still serves Mai Tais. Got one spilled on me in-flight a couple of weeks ago! Sad, but they gave me two to replace it, so it's all good!

P

Very happy to report that the skies are friendly once again and United Airlines has reinstated the Mai Tai on their Hawaii flights!

We were served them in First Class and our Flight Attendant told us they returned to service sometime in March of this year due to customer complaints about them being discontinued. Same as before...Trader's Mai Tai Mix, Light Rum and a Myers's Dark Rum float. Garnished with a pineapple spear and cherry. Very tasty and they did a great job of kicking off our visit and getting us in the proper mood. They were also helpful on the return flight by providing us with a "soft landing" back to reality, so-to-speak. :)

Don't know about Economy Class, but I assume they're available there as well, as they were in the past, but in a plastic cup instead of glassware. Headed back to the Big Island and Maui around the first of June, and I'll ask if they are serving them in Economy too, and report back here at that time.

Hipahipa!

On 2009-05-10 10:10, PremEx wrote:
Very happy to report that the skies are friendly once again and United Airlines has reinstated the Mai Tai on their Hawaii flights!

That's great news! We were really bummed about not getting Mai Tais on our last trip.

TT

K
Kenike posted on Tue, Sep 1, 2009 5:05 PM

United Offers Trader Vic's Entrees on All Hawaiian Flights

Restaurant's entrees available to premium cabin customers

CHICAGO, Sept. 1 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- United Airlines will serve
customers flying in United First(R) Polynesian-island inspired cuisine with
the introduction of Trader Vic's(R) entrees on flights between the U.S.
mainland and Hawaii, beginning on Sept. 2.

The South Pacific fare, such as island-inspired chicken with grilled
vegetables, fried rice, sesame noodles, and Mai Tai spears, was designed by
Trader Vic's Corporate Executive Chef Paul Fabre in collaboration with United
Corporate Executive Chef Gerry Gulli.

"With the inclusion of Trader Vic's cuisine on our Hawaii flights, we are
delighted to offer our customers quality regional cuisine as our way of
extending their tropical experience," says Alex Marren, United senior vice
president of onboard service. "We want their time onboard to be as memorable
as the rest of their travels."

"We are very excited to expand our partnership with United Airlines," says
Sven Koch, senior vice president of business development and global
operations. "Celebrating 75 years in business, we continue to grow in the air
and around the globe, with 25 new locations planned and continued expansion of
Trader Vic's Mai Tai Bar and Senor Pico's restaurants."

About Trader Vic's
Founded in 1934 by Bay Area cuisine pioneer Vic "The Trader" Bergeron, Trader
Vic's Restaurant Group now includes an expanding collection of upscale,
company-owned and franchised restaurants steeped in island-style service and
atmosphere, stretching from the United States to Europe, the Middle East, Asia
and the Caribbean. Incorporating different cultures from around the world,
Trader Vic's brand of hospitality has garnered international acclaim for
introducing unique foods, careful preparations and welcoming service, as well
as for inventing exotic, crowd-pleasing drinks such as the world-famous Mai
Tai. For more information, visit tradervics.com.

K

Why dont you try to have a tour in hawaii that it can give you very nice and perfect tour that you really love it! https://hawaiitours.com/

I flew on Hawaiian airlines recently and they also serve Trader Vics mai tais - but it's just a mix - and on the small island hopper plane the mix had gone bad...

I was delighted to see that one of the channels on the in-flight radio was all exotica! Also, they aired an exotica video on the tvs during the flight - can't remember who or what song but it looked like a modern group - with a woman singing "an original man" ? I was really excited - through my mai tai- and guava mimosa-fueled haze.

Pages: 1 2 50 replies