Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Going Underground: Pros & Cons

Pages: 1 19 replies

W

Good Things About Going Underground

Easy to maintain that ideal perpetual twilight Tiki atmosphere.

Constant 57 degree temperature saves on heating/cooling costs, means more money for rum!

Precious Shag prints kept safe from the fading rays of the sun.

Low light level means that even crappy Party City Tiki stuff looks great.

All the yummy yummy mushrooms you can eat.

Bad Things About Going Underground

Your mail always being delivered to the folks in the house 30 feet above you.

Mole People do not make good neighbors.

Co-workers assume you're some dippy hippy 60s radical on the run, give you Grateful Dead t-shirts.

Satan assumes you're damned for all eternity like him, tries to boss you around.

Not a lot of parking space.

TC

On 2006-07-08 07:11, woofmutt wrote:

Mole People do not make good neighbors.

Mole People would be the least of my concerns.

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris 2006-07-08 08:30 ]

On 2006-07-08 07:11, woofmutt wrote:
Bad Things About Going Underground

Your mail always being delivered to the folks in the house 30 feet above you.

Strangely the T-shirt printers I work in is situated in the old part of Edinburgh, so while were in the basement we are actually on the second floor.

Personally I like being underground with no windows that way you can never look out the windows and think about what a great sunny day your missing, but it dose send you nuts.

F

Pros:

an underground river in your tiki bar is pretty slick
Martin Denny sounds terrific reverberating off cavern walls
quarts crystals make a damn cool drink garnish

Cons:

no fresh limes or mint
mushrooms and algae taste terrible in a Mai Tai
no carving logs

Nobody's drinking my booze.

M

HUH???

What?

T

bump

is going underground going underground?

S

Going Underground is a song by The Jam

Pea

tiki isn't underground, If its at target and walmart and Home depot
that's not underground.
even Garage music isn;t underground anymore.

Now surf music, that's underground, the bands press 500 to 1000 cd's them selves and it takes them 5 years to sell, them, because only 5 to 25 people show up at the shows, There's no more underground than that.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

E

I'm coming over tonight. The incentive?

• Mushroom pizza
  • Shag gazing
  • Satan sassing
  • Rum guzzling

Won't know which one was the most fun until after I get home again.

(oh, and I'm best viewed in low light...another perk)

W

"Now surf music, that's underground, the bands press 500 to 1000 cd's them selves and it takes them 5 years to sell..." -bigtikidude-

Yuh call that underground? HA! It's a completely unknown fact and even documented in the Dumbass Book of World Records and Ham Recipes that the most underground music is oomph music. Oomph is an experimental type of Polka where the bands try to express the whole majesty and wonder of a Polka tune in one single note...The oomph. Oomph not only requires that yuh have solid gone Polka chops to pull it off but yuh also need to spend hours, even days contemplatin' a single Polka tune. Why's it so underground? Because no one likes listenin' to oomph...Yuh can't dance to it and it's kinda borin'. Even the oomph bands themselves don't really like oomph muisc, but they know that it's important and meaningful art. So they toil away in underground obscurity, givin' up the tens, even hundreds of dollars they could be makin' playin' Polka.

TC

On 2006-08-05 06:55, woofmutt wrote:
"Now surf music, that's underground, the bands press 500 to 1000 cd's them selves and it takes them 5 years to sell..." -bigtikidude-

Yuh call that underground? HA! It's a completely unknown fact and even documented in the Dumbass Book of World Records and Ham Recipes that the most underground music is oomph music. Oomph is an experimental type of Polka where the bands try to express the whole majesty and wonder of a Polka tune in one single note...The oomph. Oomph not only requires that yuh have solid gone Polka chops to pull it off but yuh also need to spend hours, even days contemplatin' a single Polka tune. Why's it so underground? Because no one likes listenin' to oomph...Yuh can't dance to it and it's kinda borin'. Even the oomph bands themselves don't really like oomph muisc, but they know that it's important and meaningful art. So they toil away in underground obscurity, givin' up the tens, even hundreds of dollars they could be makin' playin' Polka.

However, there are those that'll argue that pah music is even more underground than oomph.

F

I can't believe I just read this whole thread. :drink:

TC

On 2006-08-05 07:36, finkdaddy wrote:
I can't believe I just read this whole thread. :drink:

Reading this thread is very underground ... only for the hardcore.

F

Reading this thread is very underground ... only for the hardcore.

:lol:

W

"Reading this thread is very underground ... only for the hardcore."

Dude, I was like readin' this thread back in '83.

T

bump.

O

On 2006-08-07 07:53, woofmutt wrote:
"Reading this thread is very underground ... only for the hardcore."

Dude, I was like readin' this thread back in '83.

Heres a question for my fellow underground types. Q Las Vegas Trader Vic's, WTF?

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-10-30 09:52 ]

Pages: 1 19 replies