Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Savage Daddy's Tiki stuff

Pages: 1 2 3 4 169 replies

A couple of months ago after finding a palm log I decided to try carving a tiki. I was clueless on how to begin and was just looking at face design examples when I came across this wonderful site. Now I'm hooked! Reading the posts here and seeing all the great carving really helped me get going.

Here's my first tiki :D

And my second

:tiki:

[ Edited by: Savage Daddy 2006-11-26 17:59 ]
[ Edited by: savage daddy 2010-06-14 05:32 ]

[ Edited by: Savage Daddy 2010-07-13 05:58 ]

[ Edited by: Savage Daddy 2011-06-13 09:29 ]

[ Edited by: Savage Daddy 2011-12-03 05:27 ]

wow nice job! you've done exceedingly well for your first & second tries

wow that is good. i would of never thought you were a beginner. good job!

M

Very nice Savage. Welcome to TC. Keep em coming.

Very, very good! Nice finish on both.

B

Excellent first and second tikis, Very well done. Welcome to TC. Come on in and stay awhile. While you are here, show us all the rest of your tiki stuff?

M

Very cool... Keep up the good work.

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Jul 11, 2006 5:12 PM

Savage Daddy,

Those are some great carves. The dog and the little girl look so life-like! But seriously, very nice stuff - especially for the first few tries. I love it!

-Gman

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jul 12, 2006 4:21 AM

Very nice man. Love the pose holding the smaller tiki :)

Thanks to all for the compliments. I found a downed palm today and cut it up. Whooo hooo! now I have chunks of trunk to carve. It's like Christmas in July! :D

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jul 13, 2006 7:14 PM

On 2006-07-13 16:31, Savage Daddy wrote:
Thanks to all for the compliments. I found a downed palm today and cut it up. Whooo hooo! now I have chunks of trunk to carve. It's like Christmas in July! :D

TC has odd effects on some people...

Ive started frequentin thrift stores and getting excited over abandoned logs...

Mate, it only gets worse

H
harro posted on Fri, Jul 14, 2006 8:40 PM

love the pic with the mini-wahine and Rufus - priceless!!
nice tikis too!

I carved this one in just a couple of hours. The wood was extremely soft and parts of the log were rotten.

This one took a lot more time. I was going to give him a nice tall head dress, but I ran into rotten wood on the inside and had to cut off the top. I am still very happy with how it turned out

B

More excellent stuff Savage Daddy. Keep moving right along. Find another log and carve it too.

M

Wow, these look really great! I really like how you are finishing them, the black (burning?) really defines everything, and painting the teeth look good, but still really natural (which I like).

Nice work SavageDaddy.
They look good in the garden hanging out under the living palms & I see that at least one is spotlit for night viewing. I bet it looks kinda spooky.

I agree the black/white & natural colourings work well together.

Shame about hitting mushy wood, but Im sure your carving will benefit from overcoming a few obstacles.

Keep it up, looks like the makings of a cool hangout!

Tama :)

I'm building my army one tiki at a time. :drink:

I'm on Summer vacation till August so I'll have plenty of time to carve. I scored some logs and the landfill yesterday to keep me busy. Here are a couple of pics of my first tikis of the summer. The finished guy is my attempt to copy one of 4WDtiki's carvings. It's not quite as cool as his, but I'm happy with him. Hopefully I'll have lots of new carvings to share in the next 2 months. :drink:

Haha, It looks great, I'm flattered! 8)

M

Hi Welcome from me

I must say very nice work you make.
And I like the nature colors.
I hope to see more from you

4WDtiki, I'm glad you like your tiki's east coast twin. I'm a big fan of your work.
MAILMAN76, Thanks for your kind words. Is your giant finished?

Here is a pic of one I finished last night. My daughter named him "Mr. Hot Head".
I was thinking of leaving the bottom natural, but my wife says it looks half done. What do you think?

[ Edited by: Savage Daddy 2007-06-09 05:17 ]

hi

nice work you make
keep posted I enjoy fresh idea s

greetz Limo

On 2006-11-28 11:47, mieko wrote:
Wow, these look really great! I really like how you are finishing them, the black (burning?) really defines everything, and painting the teeth look good, but still really natural (which I like).

+1 !!!

Amy

I started my first piece of Mexican fan palm the other day. I think I prefer it to the Sabal palm , but I have a harder time finding them. Here is what I have done so far.

I stained this one trying to get an old weathered look. I'm not sure if I should finish him with poly. I'm worried it will ruin the look. Any suggestions?

Here are a couple tikis I did last year that I have decided I will make some improvements to. Back when I did these all I had was a $10 set of chisels.

[ Edited by: Savage Daddy 2007-06-22 05:55 ]

B

Excellent, Clean looking tikis.

Thanks Benz. I'm doing a lot more sanding these days and using good sharp chisels. This forum and all it's knowledgeable carvers sure has helped as well. :)

C

Very nice work! I like a lot the expression on the one at the right,congrats!

Here are a few pics of my latest tiki carving in progress. I'm really enjoying carving with my first set of Flexcut chisels.

I love how this guy looks popping out of the ferns in the front yard.

Ok. Time to get back to carving. :)

M

Very nice work Savage!

Mahalo

McTiki

B

Looking Good, I like it that you are starting to get a bit of traditional look to your stuff.
Where did you get that funny looking orange tri square, I have one almost Just like it only mine has a bit more missing! They must be brothers.

I started this rootball tiki today with some new tools.

HELP! Here I ran into a rotten section and cut it out. I'm hoping to fill it in with something I can shape and sand.
Can anyone help? What should I use?

My New angle grinder and mini grinder are helping save lots of time. :)

M

Awesome work Savage!

Nice tools too!

Keep postin up the ics!

mahalo

McTiki

I like your crazy tiki. Cool!

KS

Very nice. The palm rot can be battled in many ways. The wood needs some type of bonding agent (Polyurethane, glue...) once you apply it and let it SOAK in the wood can continue to be shaped - very delicatley. Good luck.

Benzart, My trisquare was one of many victims that got in the way of palm logs rolling around in the bed of my pickup.
Mctiki, Thanks. Here's more pics.
Kiwishaman, Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad you like him.
AlohaStation, Thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how it goes.

Today's progress

M

I am very surprised that Al Evans hasn't piped in by now. I'm sure he will at some point. You are mastering finely with your own master skills.

Mahalo

McTiki

Good Eye McTiki I did borrow a little on the eye design from Crazy Al.
This one turned out kind of rough. The log presented lots of challenges for me to learn from.

New tiki started today:

I really like your tikis and your DOG! :)
Interesting to see what type of tools you use aswell.

Awesome job!

I just started carving about six months ago and you have just crushed my self confidence! You obviously are a natural. Instead of hating and envying you for your talent I will offer you a drink down at Oleary's or the Bai Hai since we are neighbors. Good to see the local Ohana growing.

M

Wow! Nicely done!

Keep em coming

Mahalo

McTiki

F
Fugu posted on Fri, Jul 27, 2007 10:42 AM

I love the rootball tiki. He turned out really well. Great carvings!

Savage Daddy, most excellent work you do. It looks as if you've been carving for years. What brand of chisels do you use? Thanks
Ray

B

Excellent tikis Savage Daddy, Lots of personality. I like the Hairball but the last one is aAll yours and is the best. Keep up the good work.

Aloha Tikidreams, Bohemian, McTiki, Fugu, Moondance, & Benzart Thanks for the compliments. This started this last tiki with no plan and just started chipping away with the chisels. I'll post more pics as soon as he is finished. :) Moondance, I'm using Marples flat chisels( Home Depot) and the Flexcut 6 piece starter set.

[ Edited by: Savage Daddy 2007-07-28 17:40 ]

I haven't had much time to carve since my last post in July. 2 kids , 2 jobs, and 2 many vices take up most of my time. I've had about 20 minutes twice a week to carve over the last four months. Here are the results of that time.

:drink:
[ Edited by: Savage Daddy 2007-11-22 16:31 ]

[ Edited by: Savage Daddy 2007-11-22 16:40 ]

Time well spent, all around nice tiki, I did the headdress. Now you just gotta find a
little more time (maybe up to 40 minutes twice a week) so you can show us more stuff.

B

I ReallyLike this guy SDaddy, He has a very Unique Headdress. I see another Hairball in the background too that looks pretty promising,C'mon, Out with it! :lol: :lol:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 169 replies