Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Savage Daddy's Tiki stuff

Pages: 1 2 3 4 169 replies

The Gods of the Aloe plants!!! Excellent work.

glad you dusted off that old marq, looks nice. as for the auction piece, man does he ever look sneaky (sneaky tiki?) offering you a flower before he bites off your head with those big ol' teeth. very nice work indeed.

bd

Nice carves. Show us more!

Great stuff SD,dig the guy with the flame'n headdress,
dont like the look of that snow tho.Watango

Benzart, laojia, TikiMango, greentikipat, surfintiki, big daddy, AlohaStation and Wantango productions.
Thanks to you all for you kind words. There sure is a ton of creative stuff happening on is these forums lately.
Fourteen days till Summer Break 4 me! Whooo Hoo! :D

Wow! Great looking carve. Hot hot hot.

Here's my first tiki of the summer. The customer asked for a "happy fishing tiki".

L

Well done! He look very happy! Very nice work savage Daddy.

J.

B

He looks like he is throwing his head back, laughing and thoroughly enjoying himself!
(must have a big one on the line)
Very nice work.

Bowie

Ohh what a GREAT TIKI! You hit a home run with his laughing expression
and the perfect curve of the log right at the neck. Well DONE!

Great job! Way to let the wood work for you. For some reason I am picturing another companion tiki with a straw hat, Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Fin come to mind.

GREAT design on the fishing tiki! Even he is probably better at catching fish than me....what kind of bait does this guy use? great job savage....that one must have been hard to hand over after you finished it.

B

Awful HAPPY tiki coming from someone with Savage in their name! :o
This guy is Definitely a Happy tiki, and would look Great in my Tiki Office.
Well done again.

Thanks laojia, TikiMango, Bowana, seeksurf, CreativeChimp, & Benzart for your compliments on the fishing tiki.
It has been quite a hit with everyone who has seen it so I decided to make another. This one is a little different
from the first.

P

Awesome work Savage Daddy. I love how effortless your tiki's look. I'm on my second and have poured hours into to and make plenty of mistakes. I hope to get to your level where it comes naturally and looks easy.

What tools do you use for the roughing out? I have a set of chisel but they are on the small side and your latest tiki has a beginning shot with the body all shaped out. What tools are in your arsenal?

Wonderful concept on the "Fishing Tiki" and great execution!

Love the pufferfish on the line and the great animation of the tiki!

Nice work!

Wow, great execution and concept for the tiki fisher. Wire that little puffer with light and you have yourself an awesome porch guardian.

Ahoy, I agree great work, I really like the mixed elements , bamboo ,rope wood. But I am also sucker for anything with puffer fish in it.

Very cool concept. Does the fish light up? Thanks for the update.

T

Very cool! I love the rope at the bottom. Awesome job!

Thanks to all for your kind and encouraging comments. :D

On 2009-06-28 20:36, PutiTiki wrote:

What tools do you use for the roughing out? I have a set of chisel but they are on the small side and your latest tiki has a beginning shot with the body all shaped out. What tools are in your arsenal?

I actually do most of my roughing out with my flat chisels. It takes me a lot more time this way, but there is something I like about hammering away and watching things slowly take shape. I will sometimes use my angle grinder with tungsten carbide sanding disks to shape a tiki.

Here's some stuff I did this week.
First my mailbox is falling apart and the homeowners association has been sending me letters about it for a while now.
The new one has to be wood like you see here. Beyond carving tikis I don't know Jack Squat about wood working, so I worked out the ole tiki for a new mailbox trade.

The mailbox guy wanted a rootball, but I had none, so he settled for the next best thing.

Next I decided to finish a little tiki I had started and forgotten about a couple of years ago. All that time he spent in a dark corner of the garage collecting dust.
Poor little guy. Don't call the tiki abuse hot line on me!

Last I started a larger version of a tiki I had carved in the past for a customer.

It's been a good week.
:drink:

Savage Daddy
http://www.savagedaddy.webs.com

[ Edited by: Savage Daddy 2009-07-10 16:38 ]

Good stuff.... love the head dresses......

nice stuff. love the fishin' tiki. keep up the good work.

bd

Well now that I'm on my summer break, I have time to carve again! Hallelujah! :D
Another fishing tiki. This guy is also up for sale in the marketplace.

nice to see an update savage.....good work on the new fisher. just got back from the hukilau.....and had a great time.man was it hot though....

P

hey bro, sent you a pm.

Great work.

S

Well done again! I was triping thinking i was having a dayshavoo.

Thanks to all for your kind words and compliments. I found some time to carve another. This time a little praying Marq.
More to come soon.

S

Sweetness! he looks like he has been in the forest for a 1000 years.

Great Tiki

Great design savage. I like the finish stain a lot too........enjoying your summer?

G
GROG posted on Wed, Jul 14, 2010 3:56 PM

Nice. GROG like.

Very cool! I like the design on the eyes, came out great!

K

Wow, really like the detail in the eyes. Nice and traditional, but with your own kick to it! Very nice work.

Yep....Gotta love the Marqs' !!

seeksurf, drasticwagon, Creative Chimp, GROG, surfintiki, KAHAKA, & meheadhunter, thank you all for your kind words. I'm glad you like.

So I got really motivated to carve another. Here is the progress so far.

Here is where I almost lost this guy. The log has had over 2 years to dry out. When I darkened the inside of the mouth with the torch there was the normal amount of smoke afterward. I went inside for a drink and sent an email. When I came back out he was really smoking! Seconds after I snapped this pic the smoke turned to flames. I got the flames out ,but had to take a spray bottle to it to get him to stop smoking. Needless to say the inside of the mouth is much deeper now. If had taken a longer break you would be looking at big piece of charcoal.

Nice!!!! I love your fishing guys! I'm about to start another and want to have it holding a torch or two, I like your methods, inspiring work!!

.... edited to add .... that last guy is "smokin" !!! you knew someone would say it!!!

[ Edited by: Captain Jack 2010-07-15 17:02 ]

S

Love this guy! Good thing you caught it before it went up in flames. I nice deep carved mouth always looks good though.

S

Great looking fella! He looks like stone. Funny story and great pic of the smoke.

WOW! I was looking at this page of this thread and I said to my wife, hey! I know that tiki, I almost bought it off craigslist last week!(the Marquesian one) Very nice work! I loved it then, and I love it now, and the new one!

yo savage. thats a nice piece of wood you have. (thats what she said..ha ha)what type of tree is that? thats a good solid design with nice clean lines too. pretty cool smokin picture....great work

I finally got around to finishing the smokin tiki and started another little Marq. This time using some of the Mexican fan palm that I much prefer, but have a much harder time finding here in Florida.

W

Nice!

Chris

Both are most excellent!

Love the seated pose! Plam is fickle in FL - I have not had a decent palm log in several years. Till this weekend!!

I GOT A GOOD LAUGH FROM THE SMOKIN TIKI! Tiki looks fantastic.

[ Edited by: drasticwagon 2010-08-02 15:53 ]

S

Great carves! Clean, crisp and sharp.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 169 replies