Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Savage Daddy's Tiki stuff

Pages: 1 2 3 4 169 replies

congatiki wrote: Time well spent, all around nice tiki, I did the headdress. Now you just gotta find a
little more time (maybe up to 40 minutes twice a week) so you can show us more stuff.

Thanks. I think any time carving is time well spent. Actually I did the headdress. :lol: I should have lots of time to carve and share what I have done this summer. Until then I'll taken what I can get.
Benz thanks for your kind words. Here is what I've done so far on the root-ball. Some where under all that sawdust are some of my chisels.

Wow, these are some big guys. Lookin' perfect so far. I like the deep mouth cut too.

Oops...Gotta pay more attention to spelling. YOU did the headdress...I DIG the headdress.

Here's my tiki booth I had for a local vendor show. I didn't have many sales but, made some business contacts that want to buy 10 -20 tikis. :o I only have 7 so I guess I better get busy! Check out the finished root-ball in the back. :D

[ Edited by: Savage Daddy 2007-12-10 18:46 ]

Your work is fabulous...the expression on your tikis makes one wanna smile. :)

They all look good, but I'm partial to the one with the Santa hat! :P

IsleConch, Thanks for your kind words. I'm always happy to spread smiles.
4WDtiki, My copy of your tiki always gets lots of compliments. 8)

S

Nice carves Savage. I have always loved the palm root tiki.
thanks for sharing the pic's. Now get chippin.

B

Love how the Hairball finished up SD. you got the bug for shure!

T

Great tikis, love the one with the headress. Also like the white teeth. You certainly manage to get a lot done in so little time.

Just showing off how this guy looks in the front yard. Happy New Year to all. :)

B

EXCELLENT!
Happy New Year.

S

Nice!

Now that school is out I should have lots more time to carve. Here's my first new tiki of the summer.

Here's another one I started long ago and just got around to finishing this week.

Phenominal start! Can't wait for the next one. Is it done yet........ how about now...:D

B

WAY Excellent stuff Savage daddy, Just try to do them a bit faster? :lol: :lol:

S

He looks incredible nice work.

Tikilizard, Benzart, & seeksurf thanks for your kind words. Here are some more I've been working on.

I'm not really happy with how this one turned out. My next marq will be better.

Sometimes I pretend I'm Al Evans but end up with bad knockoffs.
A hopeless wannabe. :lol:

I'm happy with the way this one is going so far, but I'm getting really tired of these Sabal splinter logs. They are not so great for holding detail. I would love to get ahold of some Mex fan palm but I've had a hard time finding any. My carving experience is limited to these two types of palm. What else is good to carve and easy to find in south Fl.?

ooooh weeee...love your recent work Savage Daddy. The Marq is really
cool...i like the clean contrast of the light/dark areas. Also looking
forward to seeing more of the big dude you are working on...the last couple
pics. Nice.

On 2008-07-13 18:35, congatiki wrote:
ooooh weeee...love your recent work Savage Daddy. The Marq is really
cool...i like the clean contrast of the light/dark areas. Also looking
forward to seeing more of the big dude you are working on...the last couple
pics. Nice.

Thanks for the compliments. Here are some progress shots.

I would have updated weeks ago, but my wife lost the camera. Anyway it appears I was heavily influenced by another very well known carver.

Today was a tikirific day! The local Taco Bell is doing remodeling on the exterior. So every day I drive by and think hmmm... i wonder if they are gonna cut down those fan palms. Well today they did! Hell yeah. I have had a very difficult time finding fan palm in my area. Getting them was something else. I had to climb into a 8 ft. tall dumpster with my chainsaw, cut what I could, and then aaaaarrrrrrgggghhhh!!!!! lift them out and over the side. I had to call on the power of Greyskull. Then I got yelled at by the job foreman, but I had already gotten what I came for. So Ha! Here's my haul.
I may have to go back for another under cover of darkness. :)

One more project I finished last week. A backyard deck.

Thanks for looking. :drink:

[ Edited by: Savage Daddy 2008-08-11 18:03 ]

T

Wow! What an amazing thread! From your "hey, what if I carve a tiki?" beginning to your most recent work, it's great to see your style evolve... Great work! My favorite is the tiki with the tall headdress. Keep those tikis comin'!

T

Dayumn, you got the power! Love the design and workmanship. Excellent, man.

Great work, and nice score!

Great looking stuff. I LOVE that Marq...but I'll still be excited to see another one.

Outstanding work Savage Daddy! Your tiki's are going from great to simply awesome. Happy carving!

First, Thanks to tobunga, The BigT, TikiMango, surfintiki, and Tikilizard for your kind words. The positive feedback always helps to keep me carving.
I got some work done on the headdress. Now that I'm back to work, it's a little slow going.
Here are the pics.

Savage Daddy excellent work!!! the color on that lono are really raddd

Thanks Thomas! I'm still doing experimenting with different stains trying to get different aged looks.
So I think I'm finally done with this one. No poly for him. I don't think he would look good all shiny.
He will have to be an indoor tiki who only comes out for parties. I'm pretty attached to this one, but
the way things are going he may end up for sale in the market place soon. Always lots of creative stuff
going on and cool people to meet here at tiki central. I love this place!

You too, Savage Daddy!!! You have mad major progress since you started also! Awesome finish on the latest guy. What was the stain you used for the "weathered look"? I want to use something like that for the guy I am working on now. Great job!!

Thanks Craig, I used one wiped on coat of Minwax water based stain "coffee" him and then sanded lightly with fine sandpaper.
In the past I have used ebony stain without stirring it, after the pigments have settled in the bottom of the can. I think it gave
these two a nice weathered look. I hope this helps.

Kewl! Good stuff, I really like the Marq...very much got your own style down.

S

Wow Savage thats a killer carve! Strong bold tight Love It!

Here's a new tiki I'm carving for a charity auction. A friend suddenly needs a heart transplant at 35. :(
I'm not sure what to have him hold in his hands. Any ideas?

S

Another sweet smooth carve! Cool that is going to help
out a friend.

Cant think of anything on the holding thing?

B

Well I think He would Love to receive a Heart, so Give him the symbolic Heart, easy!
I Really must say you have a Real talent for combining the subtle colors and shades to make your tikis POP. It isn't enough that you blow us away with your excellent designs and PRECISE Lines and cuts, you gotta go add fantastic color to really nail us down! I Likee!!

Thanks seeks and Benz for your compliments! I probably never would have picked up a chisel without this
forum and fine carvers like yourselves to inspire me. :)

Savage Daddy, Man you have great skills. I really want to do a root ball carve. They are sick. Love your style. Keep up the cool work. Aloha from the desert TT

On 2008-11-13 15:56, Tucson Tiki wrote:
Savage Daddy, Man you have great skills. I really want to do a root ball carve. They are sick. Love your style. Keep up the cool work. Aloha from the desert TT

Thanks Tucson, Your carvings are looking great. I always look forward to your updates.

Here some progress on my latest.

Latest progress on one I'm carving for a customer. She wants it to look like it's holding up a plant she'll put on his head.
My daughter has been upset lately every time I sell one of her "favorite" tikis. So I guess I'll have to carve her one next.

so sweet that your daughter gets upset about you giving or selling a tiki. mine gets upset about the mess i make (25 days till teenhood). keep carving, they look great.

bd

T

Savage Daddy, your daughter is beautiful.. :) And you must carve her your next tiki. Make it be big and your best work, cause when she's older and on her own, she'll have one of the best things her dad made with his little bare hands. Great work..

How is your friend and how did the auction go?

[ Edited by: drasticwagon 2009-02-21 10:22 ]

L

Your daughter have full chance for two reasons :

• you certainly carve a nice tiki for her
  • she can get outside barefoot in february...

My daugther still wear yet warm boots for some weeks...

have nice day and good work...

It's been a while since my last update and all I've done is finish a couple tikis.
This first one was commissioned buy a guy with a fast deadline and limited budget,
so I couldn't put as much detail into it as I would have liked.

Next is this marq. I got frustrated with him a while back because of rot in the log and chucked him to the weeds. One of my kids found him and convinced me to save him for their fort.(which they didn't have yet)
So I yanked him out of the weeds and threw some stain on him.

Then I had to stop the kids from begging me to build them a fort. I got off easy. It doesn't even have walls!
And the kids love it. I just attached 3 pieces of bamboo to some trees and layered the palm trimmings on top. It was better than bundling it for the trash.

Finally I finished the tiki that was for a charity auction. The fundraiser has been postponed, so I am donating it to another cause. This guy will be auctioned off on May 30th to raise money for a 5 year old girl with Leukemia.

So there ya go!

B

Really Cool spaces given life by excellent tikis . Very nice.

L
laojia posted on Sat, May 9, 2009 4:50 AM

Very nice tiki for a very good cause!

J.

T

Great work, you definitely have developed your own style. I really like that antique stain you have developed.

right on, SD!! they all look awesome! that marq is the best! lucky weeds. lucky kids, too!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 169 replies