Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

THOR asks for your HOME SPUN TIKI BAR CREATIONS to inspire new series!!!

Pages: 1 2 62 replies

P

grandma Clampet's hillbilly chili!!

grandma?

grandma??

o' lawdy. it's granny you city slicker!

[ Edited by: pdrake 2006-11-23 13:07 ]

YEEEEEEEEEEEE-HAW!
Thor, you got's one hi-falootin concept that seems to be birthin a series of pieces! And now yore wantin to tackle anuther,before you even painted up the first all pretty like! Brad gots the prize for Best in the Dairy Dept...I would hope this bar had a wood stump clock with Elvis laminated on it! A lot of the deerskin lamps hade that suede stitchin all cowboy-like,thar's a lotta kitsch homewares that would easily niche into thar!Plywood/wood walls fer sure!
Now as fer yor military infermation,I am a proud veteran of thee Marine Core (82-26) and an Illinois Boy! Off the top...old school mines for "pufferfish lamps" Claymore mines could have a little face painted on them(thay look kindy like a square with oner them tripod stands! Ammo belts could be used as tough guy leis.....This here military idear is a little hard as a lotta the props used are used for killin and blowin thangs up! You could write the bar name in barbed wire...hmmmm...this shor is a brain buster!!!!!! More later!
Kinny-bob

P

Jes listen to that there Pea Drake. He knows. He's got the smarts real bad.

i nows mah' guzintas.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Nov 23, 2006 5:27 PM

Getting a great response Thor's - and bringing out everyones inner redneck too! :)

S

On 2006-11-23 14:18, pdrake wrote:

Jes listen to that there Pea Drake. He knows. He's got the smarts real bad.

i nows mah' guzintas.

And SweetPea cyphers real good too.

I'm confused on the Red Neck Thing.

Sorry.

Born and raised in So Cal.

DUUUUUUUDE!!!?

Thorsey, How bout a 60's Surfer So Cal one???

Overloading the artists brain!!!

( the iraq one should just be a blank canvas. :(

T

Aloha BEN!!!!

I don't blame ya for being confused...if you are seeing this out of the context of the series it will be in. The overall series is about how people across the country..or world in some cases celebrate the Tiki bar spirit with the resources and varied self expressive ingenuity they have available.

I have met a lot of people when I do signing in the galleries or Thor Stor's that share with me the fact that they have made Tiki bars in their basements or finished attics or garages or barns or backyards. Some live in areas where it's hard to find good Tiki decor. Some aren't the internet types or ebay hounds either, so they do the best they can with stuff they find or make to create their versions of a Tiki environment.

So, this is a first in a series. I wanted to start with less typical and more challenging places like this old barn in the middle of nowhere with people who maybe have never even seen many real Tiki bars except on a postcard or word of mouth or.. whatever. So, this makes for something that celebrates the power of Tiki in every corner...with the idea that ANYONE can be bitten by the bug to want their own little expression of Tikidom...even if they get a little "off" from Tiki as we experts know it!!

I started with the harder ones..trying to stay away from surf themes as we see them more traditionaly associated with Tiki. I am planning ones like super fun 60's poolside bar, a basement bar from the 70's ....and more bars built in almost impossible places, hanging off sea cliffs or over lava flows...etc.

Anyway..that's the scoop Rev. B!!!

Hope you and the Mrs. are well and looking forward to seeing you again soon!!!!!

Hey Thor!
All this thinkin and thunkin has got the ol' noggin goin....Have you ever thought of doing a Sci-Fi version of a TikiBar? it would blow that Star wars Cantina out of the water! Except for the trekkies!

T

YES Lil' Lost Tiki!!

What is on my list is a "retro future" Tiki bar... It will be sorta like Poular Mechanics meets Tiki!! Down the line.... I have ideas for a robotic bartender and much more....

THOR

THOR 2999! Very Swell and Excited to hear it!!!! With your half artist half engineer brain, I think the gadjetry will be "out of this world!" sorry. that was too hard to resist! Blast Off!

The Space Age painting sounds awsome. I love the Redneck Tiki bar - takes me back. How about an Artic Tiki Bar?

T

YES ALOHA STATION!!

I want to do a "snow theme" tiki bar.. Arctic might work... I had thought of a tiki bar in a ski lodge that was partly ouside..ya know, hot tub and "snow Tiki's" and all that...it'll be on the list!

~~ THOR

So, are you really locked in a room painting, like Mo Eye's thread claims? Will we get to see any in progress of Trader Hicks? I still am trying to figure out where your light sources will be... I'm dying to find out!

I

Howdy Thor!

Is it too late to play?!!

I love your idea... I was an Ag Major (Yep - I even learnt how ta change the oil on a combine!). I spent a coupla years living on my grandpa's old farm (in Utah - Not Kansas!)... I love the BAR'N TIKI idea. I started thinkin' about some of the "stuff" we had on the property: Old farm implements and a positively ANCIENT tractor (Don't recall the exact vintage or "make" - but it still ran, amazingly enough!). Had I been into Tiki at the time - I prob'ly would've tried to construct something out of the stuff that was strewn about the property!

So... Here is my "very rough sketch" of a Tiki Mask made from an old tractor grille.

My "inspiration" came from http://www.tractorshed.com - a photo of an old 1949 Farmall Tractor - which wasn't TOO far off from what we had on the farm!

Not sure if you can do anything with it - I couldn't figure out how I'd make a "mouth" for the thing! But I figured I'd at least TRY to contribute!!!

Hope it's not too late!

-Nancy AKA IMQTPI

T

NANCY!!

GREAT idea!!! I am prety well into the design, but will add this if there is room later!! You are a natural at this!!! Thanks sooo much!!! Happy Holidays!!

~~ THOR

Pages: 1 2 62 replies