Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Type of Sugar for Simple Syrup

Pages: 1 15 replies

S

I was reading the thread last night about Curacao Curacao and noticed Martin's comment about TV rock candy syrup being high fructose corn syrup and vanillin. It made me think about soaking a vanilla bean in warm simple syrup. Does anyone have strong opinions on what sugar to use in making simple syrup? There are a number of better sugars out there that actually have some character ... or are you after a simple sweetner with no characteristic taste?

For my own "Rock Candy Syrup" I use equal parts of Demerara Cane Sugar and natural spring water (bottled) which I bring to a gentle boil on the stove-top to be sure all the sugar is dissolved (liquid has a nice golden color)at this point I can let it reduce slightly for a more syrup-type of consistancy, or just remove from the heat as is and allow it to cool. After cooling considerably I add a 'hint' of pure vanilla extract to my own taste. When completely cooled I pour it into an airtight container and keep it in the fridge next to my Torani Orgeat.

GH

K

I have used every type of sugar I have gotten my hands on, and I think you should try the same. More than likely if you want to make traditional tropical cocktails from Beach/Vic's era, then any high quality white sugar will do. I'm fairly certain that highly refined sugar like that which comes by the pound at your grocery is the same that they would have had on hand.

Now, as printed above, Demerara sugar does make very nice syrup. And yes, you can dunk a vanilla bean in the bottle and it does make for a nice product. But, the bean can become a crystal magnet if you do not use the proper ratios of sugar to water, or if you stir the syrup after it comes to a boil, or if you do not fully disolve all of the sugar.

Two things you might consider, both of which I always do as a precaution anyway:

1. Add a little white rum to your syrup. This will help prevent mold and will allow you to store your syrup out of the fridge safely for a few months. Often times, keeping the liquid in the icebox does not keep mold at bay, and it makes it harder to work with. When I say a little, I mean maybe two ounces for a fifth bottle.

2. Add a little corn syrup to the final batch (I know, this sounds like a terrible idea to the cane purists). Corn sugar does not "like" cane sugar, and the corn will not allow the cane to form crystals as easily. It's a fructose/sucrose thing I believe. You don't need much to get the effect.

Getting back to cool sugars to use..

I prefer a Hawaiian sugar under the Maui brand. They have a very nice white and a blonde that both make exceptional syrups. I have also used an organic sugar from one of the major manufacturers (might have been Domino?) that was also really great. If the sugar has a little character, it can bring a lot to the drink. Just be careful when pouring someone a mai tai with demerara sugar syrup in it. If they know their mai tai, they might accuse you of using the wrong rums or something.

Nothing beats Dem sugar in a mojito BTW.

Ahu

K

Oh, and just to clarify...

It has been debated endlessly as to what is the proper recipe for sugar syrup for a bar. Whether the different names for it constitute different recipes, etc.

Some will say gomme syrup... others simple syrup.. or sugar syrup... And I have heard multiple ratios for these from many sources.

Here's what works well for me and is my hands down favorite after a lot of trials:

one cup of water

1 pound of sugar

Cook on high stirring constantly until it comes to a rolling boil, stop stirring, reduce heat to a simmer for about 3-5 minutes (I have a very hot gas stove, so it takes less time for me). Do not leave it in the pot to cool. In the sink, carefully funnel into a clean fifth bottle while hot (yes, you should run the bottle under some hot water to warm it a little first if it worries you. Very cold glass can shatter when hot liquid hits it. It has never happened to me.)

Leave the open bottle in the sink until it is cool enough to handle. Then cap it and store it on the bar. If you want to try the additive tricks prescribed above, you will want to do so when it has cooled a bit but is still quite warm. Just add them, cap it and shake like hell.

That is the key recipe as far as I am concerned. You may have your method, and it may work for you, but measuring the sugar by weight is the best recipe I personally have come across. It is stable over long periods without cold storage if bottled in a clean rum bottle, and it is not runny or thin.

Oh, and let's now forget that the humidty and temp in your area will affect your syrup, so what works well here, may not be the best where you are.

Ahu

S

Thanks, Ahu! This is very helpful. Can't wait to try it all this weekend! Once I get this down, I'll move on to that Pimento Liqueur ...

Swizzler

I miscalculated the # of Mojitos I would make for friends at Oasis15. I was headed to town to get some (gasp) bottled simple syrup and saw a Smart and Final Store and I thought I would buy some back up ice for TikiBroker’s party.
I had plenny time to make some syrup without having to cook it so I bought a couple of 4 lb. bags of “Morena” sugar. It’s not as refined as white but definitely not sugar in the raw.I used a bag to make up enough syrup to use in the drink that I would be serving at TB’s party. The drink got lots of compliments so today I made some more but this time I was able to cook it a bit. It does not give you a “clear” syrup.It does give you a very tasty Mojito though. I don’t use Bacardi products cuz I prefer more full bodied rums. I make mojitos with fresh spearmint, Meyers Platinum White Rum, and Canada Dry Club Soda.
cheers

For speed, like when you're in a pinch at a party or event, definitely consider blending the hell out of your sugar/water mix, and you'll quickly have simple syrup ready. It comes out milky white, then the air bubbles float out and away quickly. If you're going to store this cold-process syrup, add one to two ounces Everclear per 16 oz of syrup (or any other pure grain alcohol) as a preservative.

Note that the hot-process syrups, where boiling is involved, have an effect on the chemistry of the sugar, creating some "invert sugar." However, hot-process syrups are sterile and will sterilize your bottles for you if you bottle the hot syrup.

Always consider the sterility of your bottles when you make syrups. I myself tend to always add PGA as a preservative. But sterile bottles are nice, they eliminate one more potential problem with shelf life and flavor.

Nobody likes floaties with legs in their syrups.

S

Not sure how much a little alcohol will help, but a lot of sugar will. It is the high sugar content that keeps mold from growing. It may grow on the inside of the bottle, but rarely on the sugar syrup. Refrigeration will also slow the process as will alcohol, but that's usually at about 80 proof. i.e. 50/50 mix of sugar syrup and overproof.

I add a drop or two of lime juice to aid in the breakdown of the sugar in water and to help keep it from crystalizing later.

On 2015-08-18 06:16, Swanky wrote:
Not sure how much a little alcohol will help, but a lot of sugar will. It is the high sugar content that keeps mold from growing. It may grow on the inside of the bottle, but rarely on the sugar syrup. Refrigeration will also slow the process as will alcohol, but that's usually at about 80 proof. i.e. 50/50 mix of sugar syrup and overproof.

I add a drop or two of lime juice to aid in the breakdown of the sugar in water and to help keep it from crystalizing later.

Hi Swanky, I believe you. I can't explain it, but I have had some trouble with my boiled and non-boiled sugar syrup (without added PGA) growing organisms at the 1:1 ratio. And last week my buddy down the street also reported that he had organisms growing all over the top of his syrup (but not on the bottle wall) in his fridge. I understand it is the osmosis effect which is supposed to kill organisms in the concentrated sugar syrup, however in real life I have not really seen that benefit. This is one of the reasons I originally started researching this, and testing at home, with input from The Bum. To get around this I've started adding 2 oz PGA to each 16 oz bottle of syrup. Or, for 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water, 1 oz PGA.

Like I said, I do believe you. It's just that I'm not experiencing that here in Florida. I cannot explain it at all, and fortunately, my frustration has lead me to more drinking. :)

You're making me think of setting up a test where I make THREE medium bottles of 1:1 syrup, heat the syrup (and the bottles) not higher than 180 degrees to establish sterility, and without addition of PGA, let one sit in a back corner of my fridge, one at room temperature, and the third bottle with added PGA to see how all three scenarios play out.

Adding a bit of lime juice to prevent crystallization is also intriguing -- I have never had a bottle of syrup crystallize on me, even when I made "rock candy syrup" at the 2:1 ratio.

Maybe some of us here in Florida just suck... (Be nice - we have many of your parents, lol!)

The reason one adds a little lemon or lime juice to hot-process, 'invert sugar' simple syrup is because the citric acid acts as a catalyst, assisting the heat in breaking apart the complex sucrose molecule into the simple sugars, glucose and fructose. But fruit juice contains other organic material - mold food! - in addition to the citric acid. I started using pure citric acid crystals, instead of fresh juice, in simple syrup, falernum, etc., and ceased having mold problems. For the same reason, if you want a hint of vanilla in your simple syrup, use the extract, not a vanilla bean.
I share Swanky's experience, that if you heat the mixture so that you convert enough sucrose to 'invert sugar', it is stable and mold-free, without refrigeration. A small bit of citric acid - not enough to change the taste - helps the process move more quickly and with less time heating, but is not essential.

P.S.: I'll ad a link to a previous post I made in another thread on this subject, which in turn, had a link to an informative post by a one-time-only poster, in yet another thread on the subject:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36401&forum=10&vpost=530845

And, you might notice, Swanky has been educating about the "hows-and-whys" of creating invert sugar syrup for a good many years, now!

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2015-08-18 11:58 ]

On 2015-08-18 11:16, Limbo Lizard wrote:
The reason one adds a little lemon or lime juice to hot-process, 'invert sugar' simple syrup is...

THANK YOU, Limbo, for the most concise explanation of this. I have never seen this so well and so clearly explained. You answered questions I have had for a long time.

Can you help shed light on why some web sources seem to indicate cold-process is more desirable versus the hot process where invert sugar is created? Is there a significant (or insignificant) flavor impact? I took the cold process stuff to heart and have been on the cold-process kick for a while, and that led to the several grain alcohol discussions I've had with The Bum.

Ace, when you use the cold process, the sugar is all still in the form of sucrose. Sucrose is less sweet than fructose, and in a super-saturated solution, it will tend to crystallize out. (I think this is what would be properly called "rock candy syrup".) When some (or most) of the sugar is converted into fructose and glucose (glucose is also called dextrose), you end up with a slightly sweeter syrup that is less prone to crystallize. In addition to a difference in sweetness level, there might be a subtle difference in flavor. I doubt it would be discernible in a drink, though.
As an experiment, you could make some of each, and taste test them, and see if you have a preference.

"The rum's the thing..."

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2015-08-18 11:57 ]

On 2015-08-18 11:54, Limbo Lizard wrote:
Ace, when you use the cold process, the sugar is all still in the form of sucrose. Sucrose is...

Limbo, once again, a very clear explanation. Very much appreciated, sir! My next question is what then is "invert sugar?" I went to Google, which led me to a definition in Wikipedia, which dovetailed perfectly with what you wrote about splitting sucrose. Here is the first paragraph of the Wikipedia entry on invert sugar:

"Inverted or invert sugar syrup is a mixture of glucose and fructose; it is obtained by splitting sucrose into these two components. Compared with its precursor, sucrose, inverted sugar is sweeter [Editor: dubious – discuss] and its products tend to retain moisture and are less prone to crystallization. Inverted sugar is therefore valued by bakers, who refer to the syrup as invert syrup. It is similar to high-fructose corn syrup."

So this brings everything full-circle. I conclude that the "blender" method of making simple syrup is good for when you're in need of syrup quickly, but the hot process should be good for storage/stability. Since sugar is so inexpensive, I'll probably do some tests.

Good stuff -- this is one of the many reasons I enjoy Tiki Central so much.

S

Google around about preserves and mold. It is some of the same principals of sweet inhibits mold growth. Those making preserves have the ability to just scrape the mold off and eat the preserves. We making syrups cannot.

I have certainly had syrups get mold, on the bottle and on the surface. It happens regardless. Best thing is to clean the crap out of the container before starting again.

I use the cold process a lot these days because I use very little sugar syrup anymore and make a small amount I use nearly immediately. I make cinnamon syrup the heated way and that is what I use in most drinks now. I use a LOT of cinnamon syrup and generally make about 3 cups (or sugar, and 3 cups of water) at a time. a few drops of lime in the mix when heated and stored in the fridge. Have not had any go south in a while or precipitate out.

I also keep my syrup in a bottle with a pour spout. No idea if that helps anything, but maybe it matters what you use and how the air circulates. Mine are very tall skinny bottles that were likely meant for oils. I keep them in the fridge door and tall and skinny means better storage there than a short fat bottle. Can thus get 4 bottles in the door for cinnamon and honey syrup, and lime juice, grenadine and whatever else. Sort of the speed rail. They design those door shelves for a 2-liter bottle, so they accommodate tall.

I admire your dedication to experiment etc. You need to take the container out of the experiment first by making sure it is well heated to remove any contaminates. Maybe use mason jars run through the dishwasher.

Wow! All of you are beyond awesome.
Mahalo for all dat info.
Cheers to you!

On 2015-08-18 22:02, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Wow! All of you are beyond awesome.
Mahalo for all dat info.
Cheers to you!

Edit adds: I compared my cooked syrup with the cold process syrup (Morena sugar in both) in a couple of Mojitos.
I prefer the cold process-seems to be more flavorful. I am not concerned with shelf life.
I make small batches ((maybe 2 cups at a time) and It’s usually used up quickly.
Cheers

Pages: 1 15 replies