Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Recommended uke music

Pages: 1 16 replies

I've figured out most of the useful chords on the uke but now I need some music to play. If anyone has any ideas about who I should listen to I'd appreciate it.

And... I know that it's pretty cliche, but if anyone has the chord changes to "Tiny Bubbles" or "Little Grass Shack", I've been trying to get ahold of those too.

Spike-dog!

I've got a ukulele book by Jumpin' Jim that has the vast majority of hapa haoli tunes in it. Stop by and you can check it out.

(now stop screwing with the uku and start planning the surf gig YOU brought up!)

NN2

Lucky, We haven't met as I don't get out as much as I used to, but I'm in Newport too and I have lots of uke books with just all kinds of songs. Do you know any steel guitar players? I've been wanting to put together something local and informal for a while. Let's jam? strum?

Hey, Lucky! I just sent you an e-mail with some chord changes. Have fun. For anyone looking for lyrics to hapa haole tunes, check out http://www.squareone.org/Hapa/

For more on ukulele with a Japanese feel, please enjoy http://www.st.rim.or.jp/~kunisige/eukulele.html

ALOOOOOHA!

-Weird Uncle Tiki

Nui Nui 2,

I started learning steel guitar about 4 months ago and practice everyday. I have a 1952 Supro and a 2002 Chandler. I've been a guitarist for 25 years, but have little interest in anything but steel.

Email me and let's hook up and jam. Talked to Crazy Al last week and he's interested in getting something together also.

I wanted to thank everyone for helping me out with my uke situation.

Nui, I've heard Bong on his steele and he can really do it. I mean like WOW man. If I crank up the reverb on my guitar amp, I think we may be onto something. All we need now is a bass and drums....ain't that always the case. I'd love to really think about turning this into something.

Where in Newport do you live Nui? I'm down on 45th street on the peninsula myself.

Spike

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns on 2002-12-19 12:35 ]

Since we are on the topic of ukes....
I have been wanting to pick up a uke also.
Can anybody recommend a decent begginer model? I have been playing guitar for years, so I am not starting out at absolute zero. And since Bong bought it up, What is happening with the Tiki Central Surf Fest? Sounds like the entertainment is coming around.
Chongolio

Lucky,

A lot of hapa haoli stuff I listen to doesn't have drums. Technically, I play bass also but combining steel and bass playing at the same time would be tough.

Guitarist Joke - "if a bass player and a drummer fell out of an airplane at the same time, which one would hit first?

Answer - "who cares!"

NN2

I actually am a bass player at heart from way back, it sounds like there are plenty of uke players (although there's never one around when you need one) so I would be happy to fill in on bass. Lucky, I'm down the Peninsula by the Balboa pier, tucked behind the library and fire station.

Nui Nui & Lucky,

Let's get something together. It doesn't have to be pro. I'm off work tomorrow (Friday) give me a call at 714-968-5861.

We can pick out some hapa haoli tunes, learn 'em, then jam on 'em.

Nui Nui, do you know KC Heylin from Beachdude, Inc? He lives by you. I'll be at his house tomorrow evening about 6:00. Stop by if you know him.

'Now goddamnit! You wanna jam or you wanna fight 'cause Charlie don't jam"

[All we need now is a bass and drums....ain't that always the case.

I have always wanted to play one of those big ass Mexican guitars that provide the bottom and sound so cool in Mariachi bands. Maybe I should renew my interest in them since there seems to be a glut of Uke players and not enough people supporting the backbeat. What do you think, I bet it one of those things wouldn't sound half bad along side a uke, a steel guitar, a bongo and a bottle of rum. Anybody know what they call those things? I am prettty sure "big ass Mexican Guitar" is not the technical name.
That would be cool if all you Socalites can get together for some music and fun. My good friend and jam buddy hooked up a teaching gig in Peru and moved. I miss the sessions.
Chongolio

I gotta say, try any REM song that uses mandolin and see how that sounds. I'd love to hear it. Can you imagine "Losing my Religion" with a uke?

Put on a polyester Hawaiian shirt and do "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" at a local mall, I bet you'd make a hundred bucks in five minutes!

OK, last one, go find the Bruce Cockburn Christmas CD and listen to "Early on One Christmas Morn" and you will find the ultimate holiday uke song.

I like the big ass Mexican guitar idea. While I reciently saw one played in a rockabilly band, I don't know if it would work for the Hawiian thing. But really, what do I know.... If you can figure it out and make it work...

Nui, my band used to play Studio Cafe every Monday night down at the base of the Balboa pier at the open mic night. It could be a place to get started once we have some songs down.

I'll be down on the peninsula tonight if you guys want to get together (949)735-2561. Otherwise, around 8:30 I'm going to the Hard Rock in Newport to see a blues surf band that features the original lead guitarist from the Surfaris, Bob Berryhill (the guy that wrote Wipeout).

NN2

I'm leaving tonight for about ten days. I'll try to get together with you guys after the new year. Have to do the Christmas with the in-laws thing in the land of sun and fun-Indiana. Anyone know of anything tiki in Indianapolis or surrounding areas?

NN2

I'm leaving tonight for about ten days. I'll try to get together with you guys after the new year. Have to do the Christmas with the in-laws thing in the land of sun and fun-Indiana. Anyone know of anything tiki in Indianapolis or surrounding areas?

[i]On 2002-12-20 10:23, Chongolio wrote:

I have always wanted to play one of those big ass Mexican guitars that provide the bottom and sound so cool in Mariachi bands... Anybody know what they call those things? I am prettty sure "big ass Mexican Guitar" is not the technical name.

Actually, you're almost right! It is called a "guitaron," which is Spanish for "big guitar!"

LuckyDesigns and/or Nui Nui,

You guys wanna get something together or not? I'm definately into putting together a hapa haoli band.

What could be easier: we live in neighboring beach towns, my tiki bar is right next to my home recording studio, we surf.

Figure out what you want to do and let me
know!

(Hey, I was thinking we could call our music 'Rapa Nui Wave' (just a thought))

'A thing of Tiki is a joy forever'

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2002-12-22 18:20 ]

Pages: 1 16 replies