Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

best dark rums

Pages: 1 32 replies

T
thejab posted on Fri, Aug 4, 2006 2:39 PM

I used to buy and use Coruba as my preferred dark rum, for 4 reasons:

1. The Tiki Ti uses it.
  2. Jeff Berry recommends it.
  3. I tasted it side-by-side (though not blind tasting) against other dark rums including Whalers, Myers's, and Goslings a few years ago and preferred it to the others.
  4. And finally, kick-the-reverb's cheap dark rum tasteoff picked it as the favorite: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=15690&forum=10&hilite=dark%20rum.

Now it is almost impossible to find in the Bay Area. Bevmo no longer stocks it, and I checked most liquor stores. Two stores that may have it are pretty far out of my way: Walker's in San Francisco, and Weimax in Burlingame.

So, I ask: What is the second best inexpensive dark rum? Myers's? Whaler's? Trader Vic's? (they make two different ones). Black Strap?

And another question: Couldn't one use Cruzan Dark Rum (what they call their "gold rum")? It's very dark for a gold rum. Try this: pour Cruzan dark into a shot glass, and Myers's (or Coruba) into another glass. They are about the same "darkness".

Shouldn't a dark rum be rich and full-bodied, rather then just dark and one dimensional? Myers's is a young rum with lots of caramel coloring to darken it but it doesn't have much complexity. So is Coruba, according to world renowned rum expert Edward Hamilton (see quote at bottom of this web page: http://www.avirtualdominica.com/rum.htm). But Cruzan Dark Rum is two years old, and has body from aging (although it may have some coloring added as well). And it tastes great.

Recently I found a bottle of El Dorado Dark Rum from Guyana. It's a Demarara but it costs less than Coruba (about as much as Myers's). It has lots of body and is very dark. I have been using that one lately as my dark rum with excellent results.

Lastly, recently there was a blind taste test of dark rums at Forbidden Island that I took part in. We had no idea which ones were served to us, and we tasted them both neat and in a cocktail. You may be very surprised which ones came out on top. Martiki, would you be willing to post the results here?

What are everyone's favorite dark rums? Mine currently are El Dorado Dark and Cruzan Dark (not black strap).

G

Jab,

I'm far from being an expert. Others who troll here can probably give you a more educated response. However, I do have an opinion. If trying to stay true to the original recipes as found in Jeff Berry's books (which I try to do) then you need to not only pay attention to the color or aging of a rum, but also to the geographic region in which it was produced. Cruzan is from St Croix, whereas Myers's and Coruba are from Jamaica, and El Dorado and Lemon Hart are from the Demerara region of Guyana in South America. Like I said, I do not consider myself a rum connoisseur, so I do not claim to know exactly what effect geographic region has on taste (that would be a good seminar).

Also, my bottle of Cruzan Dark 2 year is gold in color, despite the "dark" claim, whereas Myers's and Coruba are very dark. And I do believe Myers's uses artificial coloring. There's another question to add here: which brands do not use artificial coloring in their dark rums?

And, by the way, Coruba is quite easy to find in Orlando, so if you're going to Hukilau, I'd be happy to set you up with some to take home.

T
thejab posted on Fri, Aug 4, 2006 3:43 PM

On 2006-08-04 15:21, GatorRob wrote:

Also, my bottle of Cruzan Dark 2 year is gold in color, despite the "dark" claim, whereas Myers's and Coruba are very dark.

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe I'm crazy, but to me Myers's and Cruzan look the same in a glass. Please compare Cruzan Dark 2 year side by side with Myers's. They are both dark gold. I bet one couldn't tell the difference by sight if they didn't know which had been poured.

I think your right in that the country the rum is from matters a lot when dealing with gold rum especially in a Mai Tai or a drink that is meant to use Demarara, like the Demarara dry float. But with dark rum? I don't know if there is that much difference between Myers's from Jamaica and Whaler's from the US. I don't know, but it would be interesting to approach a taste test based on origin.

K
Kono posted on Fri, Aug 4, 2006 4:42 PM

I'd put Gosling's 2nd after Coruba, myself.

Jab, I picked up a bottle of El Dorado Demerera Dark Rum 80 proof not aged. Has a ship on the label. I got a .750ml for $10.49. Is that what you have? That's some ROUGH shite! Took the enamel right off my teeth. Tastes a bit like a pure grain with hints of turpentine. I figure I'll save the bottle in case I ever get so far gone that Ron Rico tastes sweet. :wink:

I have utilized both the Cruzan Estate Dark and Myers's Original Dark in drinks calling for 'Dark' rums. Visually, they are both similar though to my eye the Myers is slightly darker. Taste-wise however, I prefer the Jamaican Myers over the Cruzan, but only slightly. Price-wise at least here, the Cruzan is less expensive but either is acceptable to me.

GH

RB

Jab,

Coruba is pretty widely available up here in Oregon for $15 a bottle (and no sales tax). Coming this way soon, or any friends up here visiting you soon?

:drink:

G

On 2006-08-04 15:43, thejab wrote:
Maybe I'm crazy, but to me Myers's and Cruzan look the same in a glass. Please compare Cruzan Dark 2 year side by side with Myers's. They are both dark gold. I bet one couldn't tell the difference by sight if they didn't know which had been poured.

Well, I did as you requested and poured a little of each into two glasses and compared side-by-side. The Cruzan Estate Dark has a golden honey color (same as the pic on their web site. The Myers's is a dark Coca-Cola color. I can see through the Cruzan, but not through the Myers's. You're not looking at Cruzan Diamond are you? That's getting closer to the color of Myers's and Coruba.

On 2006-08-04 14:39, thejab wrote:
I used to buy and use Coruba as my preferred dark rum, for 4 reasons:

1. The Tiki Ti uses it.

I use Coruba with no hesitation. but this thread had me interested in discussing the Tiki Ti liquor cabinet. They use a lot of well liquor not for the sake of taste but for the sake of saving a few dollars. I've noticed their well rums change from castillo to Flor De Cana depending, in bourbon drinks they use ancient age, and even recipes which call for Lemon Hart Demerara are substituted with other cheaper rums. for instance, in the Zombie they use Dominican 151. After asking Mike Jr. about it, he said any drink can be made with Lemon Hart upon request but the only one they use it in is the Great White Shark (15$)...so as far as Coruba goes, I have a hunch its cheaper for them than myer's or appleton special. Which had me wondering why Jeff Berry told "Nine on the Town" that Tiki Ti ws the only place in the world you could order a zombie exactly as it was made at Don the Beachcomber, when he is sitting right there watching them pour it...it doesn't matter to me, the Tiki-Ti's drinks are still the best. Just funny.

R.A.

[ Edited by: Registered Astronaut 2006-08-17 15:22 ]

M
mbanu posted on Fri, Aug 18, 2006 6:55 AM

On 2006-08-04 14:39, thejab wrote:
So, I ask: What is the second best inexpensive dark rum? Myers's? Whaler's? Trader Vic's? (they make two different ones). Black Strap?

And another question: Couldn't one use Cruzan Dark Rum (what they call their "gold rum")? It's very dark for a gold rum. Try this: pour Cruzan dark into a shot glass, and Myers's (or Coruba) into another glass. They are about the same "darkness".

Shouldn't a dark rum be rich and full-bodied, rather then just dark and one dimensional?

Well, it depends on what you're using it for. "Dark rum" is sloppy shorthand a few different potential styles of rum.

It can stand for an extra-aged but light-bodied rum (something like Bacardi 8 ), it can stand for an extra-aged heavy-bodied rum (a good Jamaican/Demerara), or it can stand for any heavy-bodied rum regardless of age.

Which recipes are you trying to use it in?

[ Edited by: mbanu 2006-08-18 06:56 ]

L
Loki posted on Fri, Aug 18, 2006 7:27 AM

I happen to be partial to the El Dorado band for my dark rum. I just love the taste much better than Meyers.The Meyers has a slight fake sweet flavor compared to the molasses hint i get from El Dorado.I feel like if you use just a little to much Meyers it can overpower a drink. I have tried the cheaper bottle of El Dorado that does not have an age on it and dont really care for it. However i always use the 5y/o as my dark rum in almost every drink that asks for it. I have a local store that keeps a nice supply of it so i'm lucky in that way. I also love El Dorado 12 and 15y/o for that special drink for a friend who appreciates it. They are both nice sipping rums too.

"He who does anything because it is the custom makes no choice."
Tiki Jam 2

[ Edited by: Loki 2006-08-18 07:31 ]

I am with Loki on the El Dorado, the 15 year is one of my absolute favorites!

As for "Regular" dark rums, I like the Cruzan Single Barrel (not sure if that actually qualifies as Dark), and in second place I would say Flor-de-Cana. The Cruzan Boot Strap is too dark (but very yummy!), the Myers Legend is overall un-impressive, and Barcadi just sucks in general.

T

On 2006-08-18 06:55, mbanu wrote:

Which recipes are you trying to use it in?

I'm talking about recipes in Jeff Berry's books that call for dark rum or dark Jamaican rum, or in Trader Vic's recipe books that call for dark rum. I used to use Myers's exclusively in these drinks, until I found out about Coruba.

I am not talking about drink recipes that call for specific rums such as Demarara rum or fine aged rums like one would use in a Mai Tai.

M

On 2006-08-18 10:44, thejab wrote:
I'm talking about recipes in Jeff Berry's books that call for dark rum or dark Jamaican rum, or in Trader Vic's recipe books that call for dark rum. I used to use Myers's exclusively in these drinks, until I found out about Coruba.

I am not talking about drink recipes that call for specific rums such as Demarara rum or fine aged rums like one would use in a Mai Tai.

I'm a fan of Pusser's Blue for that sort of thing, although I'm not sure if it falls into the cheap category. It's neither demerara nor jamaican, and nobody knows how old it is, but the dark color is all natural. :) The flavor is kinda in-your-face, but most of the drinks I can think of that call for just generic dark rum also call for it to be mixed with some amount of Puerto Rican white rum, which does a lot to smooth things out.

It says "Premium dark Rum..." Has anyone tried this yet? Is it really Premium and does it fit the Jab's request for Second Best?

T

On 2006-08-20 08:40, Chip and Andy wrote:

It says "Premium dark Rum..." Has anyone tried this yet? Is it really Premium and does it fit the Jab's request for Second Best?

That's the well dark rum they use at Forbidden Island, as it won the blind taste test against Coruba and 4 other cheap dark rums, whcih would make it a great choice for the home bar. But I can't find it anywhere here and Martiki says it's only available to bars (in this area). I even asked at Trader Vic's Emeryville. They don't sell rum bottles in the restaurant.

On 2006-08-20 09:48, thejab wrote:

That's the well dark rum they use at Forbidden Island, as it won the blind taste test against Coruba and 4 other cheap dark rums, whcih would make it a great choice for the home bar. But I can't find it anywhere here and Martiki says it's only available to bars (in this area). I even asked at Trader Vic's Emeryville. They don't sell rum bottles in the restaurant.

I got this one yesterday and haven't tried it yet. It smells tasty, so I have high hopes.

Jab, PM me a shipping address and I will get you a bottle or two....

G

On 2006-08-20 09:55, Chip and Andy wrote:
I got this one yesterday and haven't tried it yet. It smells tasty, so I have high hopes.

Well, once you've tasted it, please let us know what you think. And where did you get it?

On 2006-08-21 18:33, GatorRob wrote:

Well, once you've tasted it, please let us know what you think. And where did you get it?

Yes, inquiring minds want to know! :)

Chris

T

Did you try it?

On 2006-08-21 18:33, GatorRob wrote:

I got my bottle at my local Crown Liquors for about $20 and I tried it in straight and in several different cocktails. Overall I am unimpressed. It is indeed a tasty rum even if a bit sweet, brings a good nose to your drink and has a wonderful dark color, but it leaves a weird mouth-feel if you drink it straight. Not sure exactly how to describe it other than weird. It is colored, so the darkness is synthetic and that may explain the weirdness on the mouth when taken straight. It makes a decent addition to most drinks. It does not, however, make a good daiquri.

If you are shopping for dark rums, I would pass on this one for a better bottle of Coruba or Barbancourt 8. If you are stocking your bar with less than top-shelf rums to pour to your non-tiki drinking buddies then this is good bottle to have handy.

But that is just my taste. And I stick by my original claim of El Dorado 15. Followed closely by the Cruzan Single Barrel and Mount Gay Extra Old.

Recent sightings (today) at Bottle King:

El Dorado 15-year-old Demerara: $27.99

Rhum Barbancourt 15-year-old Haitian: $29.99

Are these prices good?

I don't know if I've ever had some of the brands you all mention with regularity except for the Myers, so I'm obviously not quite the connoisseur that y'all are, but I do drink strictly rum when looking for a hard liquor. One of my favorites is the Appleton Estate Jamaican Rum. It is a pretty golden brown color with a nice flavor, but I don't have another rum in my cabinet to compare it to (color or otherwise) right now. I also have enjoyed Mount Gay rums (Barbados) in the past, but I absolutely positively stay away from Puerto Rican rums unless it's total desperation on my part (I am rarely that desperate)!

seems like, for mixing purposes, everybody mentions just the following dark rums:

--Appleton Estate, El Dorado, Coruba, Smith & Cross, Myers's, Gosling's black seal, Pusser's blue, and Cruzan black strap.

Are there any other commonly found dark rums out there anybody can recommend for mixing?

Lemon Hart 80, if you can find it,
and Lemon hart 151 if the drink calls for it.

Jeff(btd)

have never seen LH 80 anywhere in FLA.

I've been able to occasionally get LH in Brevard. Don't know about the the rest of the state.

On 2012-05-31 14:04, thePorpoise wrote:
Are there any other commonly found dark rums out there anybody can recommend for mixing?

Brugal Ron Anejo works well in some drinks (disclaimer: it was on sale at a ridiculous price and used it in everything)

isnt that a gold rum tho?

I
Iscah posted on Fri, Jun 1, 2012 11:49 AM

On 2012-05-31 14:04, thePorpoise wrote:
seems like, for mixing purposes, everybody mentions just the following dark rums:

--Appleton Estate, El Dorado, Coruba, Smith & Cross, Myers's, Gosling's black seal, Pusser's blue, and Cruzan black strap.

I think if the key descriptor is 'commonly found', the answer would be no, excepting btd's addition of Lemon Hart. Then again, what's easy to find can depend a lot on where you live. Goslings, Myers and black strap are the only things I would call common here in (my part of) Maryland.

G

My approach is this: If it is a rum-forward drink (such as Mai-Tai, Zombie, etc), then Appleton Estate Extra, El Dorado 12/15, Smith & Cross or other premiums are called for. If the drink calls for more fruit juices and sweeteners, I reach for Coruba for the dark Jamaican. I have a hard time finding Coruba where I am now, but was just in Miami and came back with a couple of bottles. Wish I could have found more. I also have Kohala Bay, the Mai-Kai's higher proof dark Jamaican rum of choice, and I've found it works okay in certain drinks like the Black Magic that have strong mixers (coffee), but it can absolutely destroy a rum-forward drink such as a Zombie or War God.

G

On 2012-06-01 09:51, TikiHardBop wrote:
I've been able to occasionally get LH in Brevard. Don't know about the the rest of the state.

George, if there is any of the new bottling of LH 151 in Brevard, let me know before your upcoming June event and I'll pick some up. I have plenty of the old bottling, but one can never have enough. :)

On 2012-06-01 11:29, thePorpoise wrote:
isnt that a gold rum tho?

Sigh. I guess so.

GatorRob, I'll try to swing by the "usual suspects" and see what I can find. My "go to" liquor store has changed owners and I'm not sure how that affects things.

Pages: 1 32 replies