Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

So Cal Hoity Toities

Pages: 1 22 replies

I noticed while reading one of bigbro's posts that he mentioned the Southern California Hoity Toities. This got me to wondering, being a Hoity Toity myself (geographically), how did the Hoity Toities get their name?

Thanks to the miracle of the Search function, I found the thread. It's not pretty, but hey, take it for what it is. It all started with a discussion about a Cool Tiki Lamp on Ebay.

Is Hoity Toity a Geographic thing?
maybe it would have been back in the 90's when there was no Ebay.
BUt I look at it as more of a financial thing. If you go the $$$$
to buy all the sweet stuff, then you are Hoity Toity.
True much of it is around here. but not all.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

H

Wow that old lamp thread was a amusing if not vitriolic.

I'd prefer to be called Hotsy Totsies ... or ... everybody on the West Coast is a Lefty Loosey and everybody on the East Cost is a Righty Tighty.

T

It's great finally knowing the origin of the phrase "hoity toity," as it pertains to TC.

I think it's hysterically funny, living in this part of SoCal, to have us all lumped together. I can guarantee that no one on the face of the earth would ever think of Yucaipa as hoity toity. When I think hoity toity, I think Orange County. Orange County has its serious hoity toity issues. Nothing about the Inland Empire is in any way, shape or form hoity toity. (Okay, Redlands is pretty hoity toity, but that's it.) We've got the ghetto. We've got the boonies and the sticks. We've got mullets and meth labs, but we've got no hoity toity out here in the 909.

I loved that thread, it was quite a hilarious read when I first started browsing TC around then. It really let me know what a great sense of humor the folks here had, they had such a great time with it, even if it wasn't very 'constructive' for the original poster.

Later that year when I flew to Maryland and visited the Honolulu Restaurant, I had several mai tais and became rather drunk. Beforehand I lent my Dad a Hawaiian shirt and told him not to tuck it in, since that would be all hoity toity. When we finally left for the night they put drunken me in the back seat where I chattered away, slurring hoity toity this and tiki that. They laughed at me the whole drive home. It was a very, very fun night.

I also remember learning the phrase 'dick end' during my first few visits to these forums.

"dick end," huh? New one on me. Think that'll warrant a search, too!

Do a search for "Dick Nosed Puppy Moai", too.

that's another good one freddie, thanks!

UB

That was a great thread UD.

:music: Thanks for the memories. :music:

T

On 2006-08-09 13:45, freddiefreelance wrote:
Do a search for "Dick Nosed Puppy Moai", too.

Yeah thanks for the memories...

I remember it was all around the same time Hoity Toity's and the ever popular Puppy Moai Penis Ear Boy.

...oh yeah, and no tiki for you! Good times those were some good times.

I had a couple minutes and the inclination, so found another for your enjoyment:

Top Ten Insults c. 2003:
Ribbing the new guys

On 2006-08-10 15:20, UtopianDreem wrote:
I had a couple minutes and the inclination, so found another for your enjoyment:

Top Ten Insults c. 2003:
Ribbing the new guys

The Squaker thread is a must read.

On 2006-08-08 20:43, Tiki-Kate wrote:
It's great finally knowing the origin of the phrase "hoity toity," as it pertains to TC.

I think it's hysterically funny, living in this part of SoCal, to have us all lumped together. I can guarantee that no one on the face of the earth would ever think of Yucaipa as hoity toity. When I think hoity toity, I think Orange County. Orange County has its serious hoity toity issues. Nothing about the Inland Empire is in any way, shape or form hoity toity. (Okay, Redlands is pretty hoity toity, but that's it.) We've got the ghetto. We've got the boonies and the sticks. We've got mullets and meth labs, but we've got no hoity toity out here in the 909.

Hey! I grew up in Silverado Canyon...a part of The OC. Not EVEN hoity Toity!! We had hippies growing the hemp, squatters living in shacks built out of wood from the old silver mines, goat farmers, drop outs, communal groups (cults) and the horse set...all so poor they had to use yellow rope for halters. OK, I've just described my family to a "T". We had goats (sold the milk, made yogurt), horses, chickens (sold the eggs), vegy crops, Mom made granola from the stuff she grew. Lived in the old Miners Hotel below the mines. Had NO money. Wore boots,jeans and old t shirts from my dad to school and got teased like crazy.

You get the picture...very Bohemian. Flat Landers and Down Town scared me then!!

Of course, I think now the Canyon is filled with Hoity Toities trying out the "BoHo" way of life. If you can call a million dollar mansion BoHo. But there's still the hippies, drop outs and nature freaks.

I hope I have not been called a Hoity...just cuz I'm from Orange County!

Is this all in a southern drawl?....cause, umm, or, uh.

On 2006-08-11 13:38, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:

Hey! I grew up in Silverado Canyon...
Of course, I think now the Canyon is filled with Hoity Toities trying out the "BoHo" way of life. If you can call a million dollar mansion BoHo. But there's still the hippies, drop outs and nature freaks.

My brother resides there now.
Nature Freak

On 2006-08-11 13:38, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:

On 2006-08-08 20:43, Tiki-Kate wrote:

Hey! I grew up in Silverado Canyon...a part of The OC. Not EVEN hoity Toity!! We had hippies growing the hemp, squatters living in shacks built out of wood from the old silver mines, goat farmers, drop outs, communal groups (cults) and the horse set...all so poor they had to use yellow rope for halters. OK, I've just described my family to a "T". We had goats (sold the milk, made yogurt), horses, chickens (sold the eggs), vegy crops, Mom made granola from the stuff she grew. Lived in the old Miners Hotel below the mines. Had NO money. Wore boots,jeans and old t shirts from my dad to school and got teased like crazy.

You get the picture...very Bohemian. Flat Landers and Down Town scared me then!!

I hope I have not been called a Hoity...just cuz I'm from Orange County!

Too late, your Toityness! Hoity-Toity, Hoity-Toity! Neener, neener, neener! :P

Personally, I grew up in the Deep South, Staten Island (don't worry if you don't get the joke, I don't expect that humor to go further than Red Hook...), and although we had a Tiki restaurant there (the more-than-adequite Jade Island) you didn't find backyard Tiki Oases, tropical foliage, lava rock-trimmed banks, Sputnik-topped convenience stores, neighborhood Mai-Tai parlors, bars with dark nooks lit only by a dim lamp covered by a pufferfish or bamboo fish trap... all the wonders you can still find in abundance in this corner of the country. It's like someone tilted the map and all the net floats & Harvey's mugs rolled down here.

I refuse to read or even reply to, er, this post.

Hoity-Toity ? Southern Cal? Tiki?
Have you people been down here? Have you been outside of Disneyland/Universal Studios type of areas? Everyone's Trash, most of 'em are just in debt trying to look good with that new pre-fab condo or Ford Mountaineer! We do have pockets of MAJOR Toitiness with the Segerstroms and Nordstroms and the Irvine Corp and all that,but it's the mega-developers who keep on raping the land to provide BIGGER and MORE SECTACULAR shopping centers for 5% of the county to shop at! There's a lotta mobile home parks around here! In fact, I lived in two !As for us Tiki Artists being all Hoity Toity.....
I would suggest just one viewing of the Tonga Hut thread or Catalina Fish Kitchen's Smokin Menhunes gig or any given MUGOOMBA/TikiFarm event to dispell those rumours of High Hoity Toitiness!I think you'll all agree that Britney and Paris and Lindsay are really hurting Tiki's reputation down here in SoCal!
Ps-Drive down "Dime Street" In Santas Ana any day of the week and tell me we're Hoity Toity!
Also, the proper term for us is Orange County "Fancy Pants" Tiki Artists
Mahalos!
LLT :)

When I think of So-Cal hoity toity businesses, In & Out Burger comes to mind. I remember the early drive-throughs...godd food but never thought they would make it big. Now they are like Starbucks...popping up all over. They are hoity toity now and thriving outside the snooty border. LOL

In & Out Burger

They're not THAT Hoity Toity! Acne faced teens serving food is in no way Hoity Toity!When they start serving Venti Lattes-then I'll concede! :lol:

LMAO.....good one!!! :D

TM

On 2007-01-22 08:30, little lost tiki wrote:
Ps-Drive down "Dime Street" In Santas Ana any day of the week and tell me we're Hoity Toity!
LLT :)

Hee hee hee! How did you know about Dime street????

(Townsend or Bishop st?)

T

Sweet! I'm a hoity-toity! I love having good nicknames!

Pages: 1 22 replies