Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Drive-in Family , Tiki Diablo and Huell Howser!

Pages: 1 9 replies

To all of you who did or didn’t make it to Tiki Invasion, our 50th Anniversary Celebration, last Saturday, there is now another opportunity to attend a very special occasion at the Mission Tiki.

On October 14th we are hosting HUELL HOWSER’S DRIVE-IN SPECIAL EVENT to benefit KCET.

Huell will be there to meet and greet his guests. Tickets, available on-line at http://www.kcet.org/index.php are $100 per carload. That is — as many people as you can legally fit into your “car.” There will be prizes for the most (legal occupants) per “car” and the most creative solution. Hint — charter that stretch Hummer or family camper now, and don’t forget to bring folding chairs, an FM radio boom box, and something warm to wear in the cool of the evening. But, please no alcohol or pets.

The program for the evening will be two drive-in classic double features, plus vintage movie trailers, showing on all four screens.

On screen #1 will be: ”Jail House Rock” with “Forbidden Planet”
On screen #2 will be: “The Tingler” with “The Queen of Outer Space”
On screen #3 will be: ”Forbidden Planet” with ”Jail House Rock”
On screen #4 will be: “The Queen of Outer Space” with “The Tingler”

The gates open at 6:00PM and the movies start at 7:30 PM.
Remember to come early to get the best parking spots, and your free soda and popcorn.

Also, this Thursday, August 10th at 9:30 PM on KCET Channel 28, Huell’s “Drive-in Special” will air, followed by a live benefit telethon featuring yours truly and my lovely sister-in-law Teri Oldknow. So tune in for the show, and call in for your tickets, if you haven’t jumped the gun and ordered yours on-line.

For additional information and directions to the Mission Tiki go to: http://www.missiontiki.com

Looking forward to seeing you all on October 14th,

Frank

TS

I seen this episode and it really was cool! Tiki Diablo did a fantastic job of setting the landscaping, tiketbooths and snackbar looks incredible! Great job!

Aw man, those are WAY better movie selections that he ones for Tiki Invasion!! Ultimate drive-in classics. But I can' t make it all the way back down so soon. Damn!!

F*** it, on second thought, just talked to the wife, so we're thinking about a sooner than later return trip....good cause (Monica donates dough to KQED up here), a mere 6 hour drive down the 5, four PERFECT drive-in flicks...even though our own second Speakeasy theater is slated to open (in El Cerrito) that same month and I'll be crazybusy, we may try to get that weekend away. You guys just make it too g.d. enticing. Any chance you can open a Tiki Drive-In in Alameda, cross-promo with Forbidden Island??!

There should be a lottery on guessing how many times will Huell say the word "Tiki" while he's there.

T

On 2006-08-10 13:31, Unga Bunga wrote:
There should be a lottery on guessing how many times will Huell say the word "Tiki" while he's there.

:D Ha!

You know how when someone says a word so many times it just loses all the meaning and enjoyment it once had?

I'm afraid to watch the show today. I may feel just as "drained" as I feel reading that un-tiki discussion going on right now, or the Jimmy Buffet one that went on last week.

Hey Jab - this Oct thing sounds cool too, huh? maybe I'll see you there again...CongaMike told me about that "Un-Tiki" thread just today and I thought he was kidding till I just checked it out. I have nothing to contribute to that kind of conversation. I can't think of anything more un-Tiki than sitting around arguing - no typing - about what is "un-Tiki" and what is "Tiki." Tiki to me is aloha spirit and aloha spirit means like, chillville, baby. To people actually from Polynesia, we're ALL "un-Tiki" any way. Just a matter of perspective. I'd rather just go to a Tiki Drive-In (whether that's un-Tiki nor not, I don't give a damn) and watch film noir - but then, what IS film noir and what ISN'T? Hm.....

CL

On 2006-08-10 20:15, AquaZombie wrote:
Hey Jab - this Oct thing sounds cool too, huh? maybe I'll see you there again...CongaMike told me about that "Un-Tiki" thread just today and I thought he was kidding till I just checked it out. I have nothing to contribute to that kind of conversation. I can't think of anything more un-Tiki than sitting around arguing - no typing - about what is "un-Tiki" and what is "Tiki." Tiki to me is aloha spirit and aloha spirit means like, chillville, baby. To people actually from Polynesia, we're ALL "un-Tiki" any way. Just a matter of perspective. I'd rather just go to a Tiki Drive-In (whether that's un-Tiki nor not, I don't give a damn) and watch film noir - but then, what IS film noir and what ISN'T? Hm.....

Well said AquaZombie! :)

CL

By the way, on a visit to "The Farm", we heard about this event. Just got back from vacation and found the thread. The Mai Tai's are probably in as well.

T

On 2006-08-10 20:15, AquaZombie wrote:
CongaMike told me about that "Un-Tiki" thread just today and I thought he was kidding till I just checked it out. I have nothing to contribute to that kind of conversation. I can't think of anything more un-Tiki than sitting around arguing - no typing - about what is "un-Tiki" and what is "Tiki." Tiki to me is aloha spirit and aloha spirit means like, chillville, baby. To people actually from Polynesia, we're ALL "un-Tiki" any way. Just a matter of perspective. I'd rather just go to a Tiki Drive-In (whether that's un-Tiki nor not, I don't give a damn) and watch film noir - but then, what IS film noir and what ISN'T? Hm.....

I couldn't agree with you more! It seems the taste arbitrators are at it again.

I may be able to make it in October, depending on how "spent" I am after Hukilau. If I do, I'm staying at the Pine Tree Motel again!

Pages: 1 9 replies