Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

DJ Jab at Forbidden Island - every 2nd Thursday!

Pages: 1 2 3 103 replies

T

Come hear the silky smooth sounds of Alameda's own The Jab, as he spins the night away at Forbidden Island - Alameda's only Tiki Lounge!

Expect a mix of lounge/exotica/rockabilly/garage and anything else that pops into his well-coiffed head.

The perfect soundtrack to accompany one of our famous signature cocktails.

The second Thursday of each month.

Eight o'clock until last call.

Don't miss it!

Forbidden Island
1304 Lincoln Ave (at Sherman)
Alameda, CA

510-749-0332

http://www.forbiddenislandalameda.com

[ Edited by: thejab 2009-01-13 14:22 ]

[ Edited by: thejab 2009-01-19 15:48 ]

J

Bummer! I have a previous engagement on the 15th. I might make it just before last call if I hustle my bum back across the bay in time. I missed most of the last one due to that damn Fugu for Uno.

Hey Jab I'll try to make it again but that day is our co. picnic and I might be too tired/wasted. I really enjoyed your debut gig, though. Look forward to more.

M

Don't miss it!

I am so...ya get the rest. This time I promise no Bic lighter salute when you play "Freebird".

Tuesdays, the other Saturday!
midnite

What, No surf? what gives????

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

On 2006-08-10 22:34, bigtikidude wrote:
What, No surf? what gives????

Jeff(bigtikidude)

No worries Jeff, I played tons of surf last time and I will again.

I plan on bringing exotica, space-age bachelor pad (more Esquivel this time by request) and classic lounge, hillbilly hula (country and western goes exotica), western swing, 50s rockabilly, old C&W, 60's surf, soul, and garage, 40s-60s R&B, noisy rock 'n roll instrumentals galore, 70s power pop, and maybe some old punk rock. I don't plan a playlist but I just wing it depending on the crowd.

WTF, 70s power pop and punk? Hey Jab, that is like so UN-TIKI, man!!!

BTW,can you please please PLEASE play "Seasons in the Sun?" Like 10 times in a row, on a loop? I mean, it's got "sun" in it, that's kinda tiki, ain't it? That song really puts me in that "tropical island mood"!!

CL

Agreed. You go AquaZombie! :)

T

Sure I'll play it AquaZombie, right after I play some Pablo Cruise! They are totally tiki, dude!

Uh oh, I better not knock the yacht rock, considering who the owner is! :wink:

J

Hey! No messing with Pablo Cruise! I used to date their original bass player, so I have a soft spot for that band.

M

On 2006-08-11 15:15, thejab wrote:

Damn right.

Keep it smooth.

CL

On 2006-08-11 17:47, martiki wrote:

On 2006-08-11 15:15, thejab wrote:

Damn right.

Keep it smooth.

Hmmmm, is it just me or is there a strong resemblance to Cousin Clem? Must be the feathered mullet.

On 2006-08-11 11:10, thejab wrote:

No worries Jeff, I played tons of surf last time and I will again.

ah come on Jab you know I was just ribbin ya man, I figured you did, and will. wish I could be there to hear it.
Live pod cast on Chongolios cocnut wired program????

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2006-08-12 00:16 ]

S

Hanford, did you get that surf cd that was playing on the bus back? or does the bus driver have a wicked cool Mercury Four CD?
Jab, if ya didnt end up with it, lemme know and I'll send one down.
Pea
PS
http://www.myspace.com/themercuryfour

Yeah we still have it and we can send it Jab's way!

On 2006-08-12 16:24, sweetpea wrote:
Hanford, did you get that surf cd that was playing on the bus back? or does the bus driver have a wicked cool Mercury Four CD? Jab, if ya didnt end up with it, lemme know and I'll send one down.
Pea
PS http://www.myspace.com/themercuryfour

S

most excellent...
Thanks much!
Pea
PS,
Happy International Tiki Day!!!

What!!??

No " MetalRX " ???

(Was fun during the build out though. Mike?)

Jabo- Are you recording your nights on cd ??

If so..... PM

Maybe Coco, Mai Tai and I can hold hands and lead the chorus and have the whole bar singing..."we had JOY, we had FUN, we had SEASONS in the SUN..." That will be so FUN!

You also need to add "Key Largo" to your set, another tiki favorite. And "All Night Long" by Lionel Richie, isn't that kinda samba which is kinda exotic which is kinda tiki?

Oh,and "Afternoon Delight," - oh, yes! They have afternoons in Hawaii, don't they?

See, it all fits!

CL

:lol: :lol: :lol: You're too funny Aqua Zombie. KC & The Sunshine Band Rule MAN!!! Whowooo. Oh, TC, I'm just kidding. Look forward to seeing Jabbo tomorrow nite and listening to whatever great music he puts on. The Jab's set is sure to be GREAT! That is if we can extract ourselves from work in time.

Drats, speaking of which....gotta go back to work.

P.S. Did KC and the Sunshine band sing anything other than Afternoon Delight?

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2006-08-15 12:02 ]

T

Just a reminder, I hope to see you tonight! A birdie told me Hula Hula will be there!

S

On 2006-08-14 16:16, Coco Loco wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: You're too funny Aqua Zombie. KC & The Sunshine Band Rule MAN!!! Whowooo. Oh, TC, I'm just kidding. Look forward to seeing Jabbo tomorrow nite and listening to whatever great music he puts on. The Jab's set is sure to be GREAT! That is if we can extract ourselves from work in time.

Are you kidding? You are forgetting "(Shake shake shake) Shake Your Booty" and "I'm Your Boogie Man" My favorites. And then there is "Get Down TOnight" and "That's the Way (uh-hu uh-hu) (I LIke It)" I am pretty sure I have those 45s...

J

Quote:

On 2006-08-14 16:16, Coco Loco wrote:
You're too funny Aqua Zombie. KC & The Sunshine Band Rule MAN!!! Whowooo. Oh, TC, I'm just kidding. Look forward to seeing Jabbo tomorrow nite and listening to whatever great music he puts on. The Jab's set is sure to be GREAT! That is if we can extract ourselves from work in time.

Are you kidding? You are forgetting "(Shake shake shake) Shake Your Booty" and "I'm Your Boogie Man" My favorites. And then there is "Get Down TOnight" and "That's the Way (uh-hu uh-hu) (I LIke It)" I am pretty sure I have those 45s...

Umm ... "Afternoon Delight" was the Starland Vocal Band.

T

I have a 12" extended single of one of KC's hits. I think it's "Get Down Tonight". I'll look for it if I have time.

CL

Thank you Swankie!! OMG, how could I have forgotten?? *That's the Way (uh-hu uh-hu) (I LIke It)" * I'm boogying right now. :)

CL

On 2006-08-15 13:29, JenTiki wrote:

Quote:

Umm ... "Afternoon Delight" was the Starland Vocal Band.

Hmmm, will have to look into that. Even though I was a child (metaphorically and physically) in the 70's, clearly not as well versed on matching 70's bands with names...oh well, it's all fun 70's music. *Shake shake shake, shake your bootie...shake your bootie...That's the Way (uh-hu uh-hu) (I LIke It)" *. There I go dancin again!!

CL

Jab, that was FUN! Thanks for playing several KC and the Sunshine Band songs...and before anyone gets knicker twisted about tikiness...KC wasn't the focus of the evening. Great combination playlist! You had some obscure (to me) artists that were quite good.

Thanks for setting it up Forbidden Island!

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2006-08-16 15:02 ]

T

Thanks coco!

"I'm just a bad boy,
all dressed up in fancy clothes,
I'm takin' the trouble
To blow my bubbles away"

I guess I missed Coco and Mai Tai last Tues, we left around 9:30 so you must've arrived pretty late (and I didn't see you at Elvis D Day either, a full house anda lotta fun, Cari Lee ROCKED - Jab was there in his swanky 50s threads) - anyway, great mix of stuff, Jab, remember my suggestion of adding some Morricone spaghetti western tunes next time - and more crime jazz, please! I also dig your sailor hat, perfect touch. You look just like an illustration of a 50s cad on the make from an old girlies magazine. And I mean that as a compliment, natch.

T

And I take it as a compliment AquaZombie! I am a cad on the make!

Thrillville was great last night. A perfect pre-Hukilau movie. Now I'm really excited about my Florida road trip - only 6 weeks away! I forgot about the amazing clambake scene with the tikis in the movie. It looked super on the big screen! And so did all the girls in bikinis. :wink:

CL

We arrived home from work after 9:00 last night and promptly passed out. We were very bummed to have missed Thrillville, but were out for the count.

AquaZombie, we arrived at FI around 9:20 Tuesday night, along with LimpTiki and his over 21 foriegn exchange student. Sorry we missed ya.

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2006-08-18 15:16 ]

Hey Jab! TofuJoe & I will be catching you at Forbidden Island tomorrow!

Who's joining us?

~T

T

Yes, tonight's the night! Hope to see you at Forbidden Island!

J

I am SO there!

T

Great time as always!

Thanks for throwing some Billy Mure on at the end...getting me in the mood for the Hukilau!

T

That's tomorrow, October 17th. See you there!

And DJ Jab will haunt you at Forbidden Island again on Halloween night, Tuesday, October 31st!

Will this be a costumed event? Costume contest perhaps??

On 2006-10-16 12:03, thejab wrote:

And DJ Jab will haunt you at Forbidden Island again on Halloween night, Tuesday, October 31st!

On 2006-10-16 12:56, Coco Loco wrote:

You betcha... DJ Jab's Halloween event will feature a Costume Contest, with the prize being an FI mug, T-shirt and a Scorpion Bowl for his/her group. Scary stuff!!

CL

One more question CM,

Any particular theme? Pirates, ghosts, ghouls, b movie monsters, etc?

On 2006-10-16 14:03, Conga Mike wrote:

On 2006-10-16 12:56, Coco Loco wrote:

You betcha... DJ Jab's Halloween event will feature a Costume Contest, with the prize being an FI mug, T-shirt and a Scorpion Bowl for his/her group. Scary stuff!!

On 2006-10-16 14:19, Coco Loco wrote:
One more question CM,

Any particular theme? Pirates, ghosts, ghouls, b movie monsters, etc?

All of the above...in one!
Just kidding...the field is wide open. Then again, you could always ask yourself, "What would Jab do?"

:lol: :D Hmmmm, yes what would Jab do?....

Jab, would love your input on this? :wink:

T

You're on your own! I'll be busy in the next 2 weeks getting my costume and records ready.

If you have to ask ... :wink:

[ Edited by: thejab 2006-10-17 14:08 ]

CL

:D

MT

Anyone headed to Forbidden Island to see The Jab spin vinyl into gold tonight?

M

you'd be INSANE to miss it!

J

I'm there!

J

Is anyone heading to FI for the Halloween Party Tuesday night?

I'm not working, but TofuJoe & I plan on heading by about 9ish (after giving out candy to the few little souls that T'o'T in our part of the hood.....).

M

I'd like to, it's been too long since my last visit to Forbidden Island. Forgive me Father Dean, for I have sinned. I'd be a better person, but it's so far to Alameda. I'm trying, I am trying, Lord.

But Halloween, no way! I'm afraid of Scottish Clown Doctors.

Boo!
El midnite-o

Pages: 1 2 3 103 replies