Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

DJ Jab at Forbidden Island - every 2nd Thursday!

Pages: 1 2 3 103 replies

M

Don't miss it! Costumes, goodies, much more! Dean's got all kinds of spooky goodness worked up for y'all!

H

We'll be there tonight, with some treats, to boot.

J

Yay!! Treats!!!

Sorry I can't make it there tonight... but I will be there in SPIRIT ...

Have fun! BOOO!!! Save me a Voodoo Priestess!!

• Myke
CL

It was FUN!

T

Great turnout with some amazing costumes! I especially liked the pregnant nun, girl with the whip, the various ghouls and devils, the spider couple, and especially Humuhumu as a piece of bacon. Congratulations to her on winning the contest! I just wish I had more of a chance to see everyone's costume being stuck behind the turntables most of the night.

What's up with the requests for 80s music? You can hear that stuff everywhere. I'd rather die than hear "Bela Lugosi's Dead" again. I got sick of that song in '82! :lol:

Dancin' to "Rapper's Delight" at the end of the night was a total blast! I promise Martiki I will never play rap again! :wink:

Pics please.

J

I'll post pics later this afternoon, after the hangover has worn off. :wink: Good times!

On 2006-11-01 11:53, thejab wrote:

What's up with the requests for 80s music? You can hear that stuff everywhere. I'd rather die than hear "Bela Lugosi's Dead" again. I got sick of that song in '82!

Aw, come on, Jab. That's the perfect Halloween tune and isn't played enough. It may get "old" but it's always a pleasure to hear on the Goul night.
Good to hear you play Black Sabbath's theme tune - a total surprise!! I would never think you had that in your repertoire.
A good time was had by all - definitely one of the most rockin' Halloween Bar Parties I've ever attended.

T

On 2006-11-01 12:18, Conga Mike wrote:

On 2006-11-01 11:53, thejab wrote:

What's up with the requests for 80s music? You can hear that stuff everywhere. I'd rather die than hear "Bela Lugosi's Dead" again. I got sick of that song in '82!

Aw, come on, Jab. That's the perfect Halloween tune and isn't played enough. It may get "old" but it's always a pleasure to hear on the Goul night.

I have to disagree with you on this. It goes on so long and they repeat the same line until you just wish you were dead so you wouldn't have to hear anymore! As a DJ I will never torture anyone with that tune.

H

Last night's party was insane. Just incredibly fun. There were a lot of great costumes, but I especially loved Thayer's Crazy Cat Lady.

Here are our pictures -- special thanks to Hanford for taking all of these, since I couldn't do it in my costume. Thanks to everyone who cheered for me, it was an honor to be your breakfast meat of choice!

http://photo.humuhumu.com/v/halloween2006/

:down: Pirates Denise & Conga Mike threaten Bacon:

:down: Pirate Conga Mike, Crazy Cat Lady Haole'akamai, and Scottish Clown Mai Tai:

:down: Aloha Fashion Disaster Martiki, and Mermaid Melissa:

:down: Bride of Frankenstein Stephanie:

:down: Vegetarian Crazy Cat Lady is caught dipping into my bag of bacony treats:

:down: Bacon, Wednesday Coco Loco Addams, and Jen Tiki, MD, Scottish Clown Doctor:

:down: A Spider fella can't resist my savory goodness, while Wednesday & Dr. Jen Tiki look on:

:down: A crowd shot during the costume contest: Voodoo Fella, Ghostly Undead Man & Bride, Satan, and Bacon:

:down: Bacon & Martiki:

:down: A prize-winner -- Some Pig:

:down: The Scottish Clown Doctors:

:down: Bacon petting Crazy Cat Lady's pussy:

:down: I love the David LaChapelle quality of this picture of the jab -- note the ¡Jab Vive! posters:

:down: Another shot of DJ Jab:

:down: This nerd got to bring home the bacon (sorry, bad joke -- one of about a hundred bacon-related jokes & puns of the evening):

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ Edited by: Humuhumu 2006-11-01 12:43 ]

CL

OMG, Thayers outfit was hysterical. It was so great with her family pet book and seemingly millions of CATS. Loved it. There were so many wonderful costumes that it's hard to pick a favorite. Thayer, the devil, fancy schmantzy white hat ghoul guy and his bride, the nerd, bacon, go-go dancer, Bride of Frankenstein, whip girl, grass skirt zombie with the monkey trick, cousin Clem showing up at the end...and the list goes on. And yes, Clem did make an appearance at the very END of the evening. :wink:

J

What a great party!!! Here are my pics ...

Had a little too much time on my hands at the office yesterday and figured that details are important in any costume

Jen Tiki, M.D. (holding the much-praised Voodoo Preistess), Hanford, Nerd Extraordinaire, and Humu"Bacon"humu

Haole'akamai, the Crazy Cat Lady

Captain Conga Mike and Denise, his Matey

Mai Tai and JenTiki, the Scottish Clown Doctors

Jen Tiki M.D. and Super Nerd sipping Bacon's costume contest prize

Otto Tiki

See, it really is Otto

The TC gang hanging out in front of Forbidden Island (somehow Coco "Wednesday Adams" Loco was missing, wasn't it your turn to watch her, Mai Tai?)

Here's some of my faves

Satan and Tiki

Tiki Otto with Santo Aquazombie

Bacon with '70's Zombie

Star Wars nerd with crazy-ass Scottish Doc - would you buy a used car from these gents?

On 2006-11-02 13:23, Conga Mike wrote:

Bacon with '70's Zombie

That ain't no ordinary 70'Zombie! That's Napolian Dynomite Zombie (notice that he was killed by brain-impaling tube of chapstick)!!

M

Much belated Halloween pix, with special bonus at end of post...

MC Jab is in da house:

Our man Chris- the boa is REAL! This led Ryan the doorman to come get me with a very stern alert: "Sir! Snake at the door!"

Speaking of Ryan- no ladies, he's not going "traditional"

Continuing the Scottish theme with our clown doctors:

And their shoes:

Coco Loco as Wednesday Addams:

Thayer the crazy cat lady (not actually a costume):

Mad scientist!

Two of my favorite costume contest runners-up:

Winner! With prize! And unwanted attention on her right!

A mad scientist and a Mexican wrestler walk into a bar...

Otto is angered with the DJ for playing rap:

Our own Melissa and Stephanie:

Here's your bonus surprise:

Check out the sweet moves on El Jabbo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K1G9rn02X4

Sorry it's so dark.

On 2006-11-07 11:25, martiki wrote:

Thayer the crazy cat lady (not actually a costume):

It is to a costume! I would NOT wear that muu muu!! :wink:

R

Hi All!

The next Jab night at FI is Nov. 21st. Coincidentally that happens to be my birthday and I'm throwing a little shindig that night at the bar starting at 6 pm.

Hopefully this link will take you to the evite.

http://www.evite.com/pages/invite/viewInvite.jsp?inviteId=BMJVMLUSEFJXGBCOLYFO&li=iq&src=email

If you can make it please RSVP because we're trying to give the bar a heads up as to how many people to expect. They hold a max of 67 and my rsvp list is already up to 34.

Love to see some friendly faces there and maybe meet a few new tiki folks to boot. :o)

XOXO

Melissa

That reminds me Here are my photos from Hallowe'en!

T

Last night's birthday party for retrodiva was a gas! Thanks to all for coming.

Free drinks for the DJ = bad hangover day at work.

M

T

I hope to see you tomorrow night! Try one of the new hot drinks. I recommend the Helmsman's Grog, and the Pineapple Nog, oh, and the Banana Buttered Rum, hell, I like all of 'em!

M

Like I said in the email-

-Jab
-Hot Drinks
-Tuesday All night Happy Hour

I can't possibly imagine what else in life you would need.

T

http://www.magicpath.com/albums/hween2006/DSCN1347.sized.jpg
Haole-"Hanford couldn't get a costume together in time..."

Are you saying he just came as himself?.

CL

Wait a second!, did you all think we were in COSTUMES?!! Everyone was dressed as usual as far as I could tell. Devil guy is always red, Thayer always walks around with a zillion cats tied to her, and there's always an ax carrying crazy clown doctor running around FI. And kind kind Martin always has an ample supply of lifesize bacon around. It's really a hit on the appetizer menu. Nope nope nope, didn't see any costumes...

By the way, if you're coming to FI, make sure you dress appropriately by following the examples in this thread.

On 2007-01-15 15:58, teaKEY wrote:
http://www.magicpath.com/albums/hween2006/DSCN1347.sized.jpg
Haole-"Hanford couldn't get a costume together in time..."

Are you saying he just came as himself?.

Will try to make it tonight; still feeling a little crispy from the F.I. employee party last night.

Mahalo for all the food, Mr. & Mrs. CongaMike. Mahalo for all the hooch & swag, Martiki. Mahalo to my coworkers who came over and brought the positive vibes. And for my coworkers that couldn't make it, know your presence was missed.

[ Edited by: haole'akamai 2007-01-16 14:22 ]

We'll try to make it tonight but it's 50 50. Would love to be there, but just really swamped with work and other projects at the moment. Hopefully we'll make it!

M

El Jabbo was RED HOT last night! Sweet, sweet tunes. Where were y'all? Cheers to JenTiki and The Midnites for making the scene.

J

Cheers to you, Martiki, for making up such fantastic hot drinks! I've had three of the ones on the menu and they're all quite delicious! Just perfect for this frigid weather we've been having!

:drink:

T

Tomorrow I'll be back on the turntables, and I believe that a certain someone will be back from his much deserved vacation. Come on down and welcome him back!

Don't forget that it's Happy Hour all night on Tuesday!

Jab ya later

Try The Declared Treuse! :wink:

[ Edited by: Haole'akamai 2007-03-19 13:27 ]

MT

I'm thirsty! :D

T

Yours truly is back spinning records at Forbidden Island tomorrow night. I'll be playing some songs by Don Ho, who passed away on Saturday, as well as the usual mix of everything under the sun. Come on out and suck 'em up to Don Ho, R.I.P.

The fun starts at around 7:00, and happy hour lasts all night!

[ Edited by: thejab 2007-04-16 10:48 ]

T

I'm back this Thursday after missing last month due to a conflicting DJ gig I had at the Devilettes' Exotica-a-go-go.

This month I will be playing both kinds of music: country and western! I recently scored a stack of country-western novelty, drinkin', and truckin' 45s that I'll be throwing at you along with the usual mixture of everything I like.

I've been traveling so much lately that I have been scarce at Forbidden Island and I miss it (and everyone) greatly. So I hope you all can come down on Thursday and welcome me back!

ACk, wish I could be there.
I might just have to move south one of these days!
PEa

M

*thejab wrote:

This month I will be playing both kinds of music: country [i]and* western! [/i]

I've always thought FI had a little "Bob's Country Bunker" in it.

*I've been traveling so much lately that I have been scarce at Forbidden Island and I miss it (and everyone) greatly. So I hope you all can come down on Thursday and welcome me back! *

It has been quite a spell, ages it seems, since we last set foot in the place. Might even be off my most recent FI probation (how that Fugu bowl got in my pants I do not know) by now. I reckon we'll try our darndest.

El Jabbo, a tasty FI beverage, and some fine country tunes....cannot beat that with a stick. Well, two out of three ain't bad.

Slim O'Fugu Slacks,
midnite

On 2007-07-10 13:07, midnite_tiki wrote:

Might even be off my most recent FI probation (how that Fugu bowl got in my pants I do not know) by now.

Slim O'Fugu Slacks,
midnite

...and I thought you were just happy to see us.

T

I'm back DJing tomorrow, August 9th, with another fantastic batch of rock 'n' roll, R&B, country-western, and exotica tunes!

Midnite, will your probation officer let you out of the house yet? Hope to see you there, even if you do have to sneak out.

le jab

T

Hey hey hey! I'm back tomorrow night!

Hey!! and I'll be in my new ride tomorrow - Come check out my Zenn!!!

M

GET YOUR JAB ON!

TONIGHT!

Featuring the usual goodness- PLUS some spooky tunes for the season!

T
thejab posted on Wed, Nov 7, 2007 5:18 PM

I'm back from my recent trip to Cavestomp and the WFMU record fair and will be spinning lots of new (to me) records tomorrow night. The usual time, 8-closing. Come on down and try one of the delicious Fall drink specials (all have the Jab seal-of-approval). And try the cocktail-of-the-day - this month there is a new one every day - for only $6.

T

Mele Kalikimaka!

Tonight I'll be back at Forbidden Island with plenty of Christmas tunes along with the usual rockin' and rollin'. Come celebrate the holidays with The Jab!

[ Edited by: thejab 2007-12-13 10:39 ]

T

Come to the cozy tropical paradise that is Forbidden Island tonight! Have a hot drink with some warm folks to the sizzling sounds of DJ Jab. Have you seen the new hot drink menu? I can't think of a better way to forget this gloomy weather!

8:00 until close

T

Celebrate Valentine's Day with The Jab tonight, and enjoy special $10 drinks-for-two!

Love,
The Jab

[ Edited by: thejab 2008-02-14 12:22 ]

M

BONUS JAB!!!

Get a second helping of EL JABBO this week only at FI- Thursday, Feb. 28th from 8pm until it becomes leap day!

You just can't get enough Jab! Plus (scheduled to appear) the perpetual motion machine we call "Carrie"!

T

I'm back tonight! And in case you were wondering where I got "the jab" nickname, dig this flyer from the Kings Road Cafe in San Diego in '81 or '82.

TG

WOW! Where was the Kings Road Cafe?? I'm surprised I've not heard of it...but then again, I was languishing up in North County.

That Minor Threat/Husker Du show looked hot!

T

I'm back spinning the usual R&B, garage, soul, exotica, power pop, and stuff tonight. And from 7:00 to 10:00 25% of sales will be donated to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Drink and dance for a good cause!

Pages: 1 2 3 103 replies