Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Disneyland - Blue Bayou

Pages: 1 11 replies

CL

We went to Disneyland this week. Had lunch at the Blue Bayou. The place looks the same, but operations were renovated.

In case you need to plan your visit, here's what's new:

• Reservations only. No more same day/standby entry. Reservations now fill up 2 -3 weeks in advance.
  • New menu. It's a laminated take home copy with Jack Sparrow on the back.
  • All New items
  • New prices - Monte Christo for $18.99, up to $42 per entree from there.
  • Clam chowder, salads, and chocolate souffle are no longer served.
  • Food portions are on the small size now. I ordered the crab cakes and literally there were two two inch crab cakes on this huge plate. Nothing else.
  • No kids menu.
  • New busing system. The dirty dish station is in front and center - by the railing. Every 3 minutes there's a huge clamor/clash of dishes being dropped into the busing container. Caution when sitting by the rail.

Went across the way the second day to the New Orleans Restaurant and the food was great, service great, and prices even better.

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2006-08-12 13:40 ]

You can make reservations up to 30 days in advance by calling Disney Dinning @ 714-781-3463 :)

CL

Thanks WhoHoo! I forgot that part. :) Reservations are highly recommended as they're sticklers about it now. They won't let you in if you don't have em.

I go to Disneyland at least twice a week. I have found the place across from Blue Bayou to be much better, and the Monte Cristo is around 14 dollars, but comes with absolutely nothing but the sandwich.

On 2006-08-14 11:10, lucas vigor wrote:
I go to Disneyland at least twice a week. I have found the place across from Blue Bayou to be much better, and the Monte Cristo is around 14 dollars, but comes with absolutely nothing but the sandwich.

I agree Lucas Vigor. I think that's the same one we ate at. They had TWO versions of the Monte Cristo: Traditional, or a Brie plus 3 other cheeses. We ordered one of each just to try...WARNING: The Brie version is VERY rich. We couldn't get past 1 quarter of it each.

The service was good, and the patio seating faced the water with boats going by. It was quite enjoyable. Even saw a pirate show with at surly pirate that wouldn't leave the stage...long after the show was over. I agree with LV, it's a much better choice than Blue Bayou these days.

TM

The only thing that put me off the place across from the Blue Bayou is the smell. There is a funny, rancid smell you experience just walking by the place!

About the Blue Bayou: if you have a big party, expect to sit nowhere near the fireflies!

I long for the days of the tahitian terrace, where the monte cristo had pineapple juice in the batter!

Let me see if I can find some recipe likes.

TM
TM

We went last week too. The saddest, most thankless job in the park has to be the Blue Bayou Reservation Host telling people all morning that all reservations are filled for the entire day.(Boo!)

My brilliant scheme has always been to be at the park before opening and beeline it to the Bayou to make lunch reservations, and then indulge in fritters. That plan only worked for 20 some years, so I guess it was a good run. I thought last week we'd finally been outfoxed, so it's good to know we have to change our game plan. I always figured the prices were justified in trade for the ambiance of a dark atmosphere (and fireflies!) in the middle of a hot day.

Remember when the fritters were the size of softballs?

I was there yesterday, and it seemed to me that there was a line of people that they would let in periodiclly.
Should I assume that they had their names on the reservation list?
I've been to Dizzkneeland 100's of times, and never eaten there.
Is it something I should do at least once?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2006-08-22 18:14 ]

On 2006-08-22 18:13, bigtikidude wrote:
I was there yesterday, and it seemed to me that there was a line of people that they would let in periodiclly.
Should I assume that they had their names on the reservation list?
I've been to Dizzkneeland 100's of times, and never eaten there.
Is it something I should do at least once?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2006-08-22 18:14 ]

Hi Bigtikidude,

Yes, that line most likely was the reservation line. People cue up to check in, and then they're let into the waiting area.

In answer to your second question. We've been to Disneyland hundreds of times as well. We followed the same pattern as ZebraTiki, first thing in the park, run over to Blue Bayou and make our lunch reservations. Lunch used to be 1/2 the price of dinner. This equated to a lunch cost of just a bit more than eating at one of the fast food places in the park -- and it was great food in a full service sit down restaurant.

Additionally, the ambiance was amazing. It's set literally in the pirates ride space. You used to be able to hear the crickets and see the fireflies. Now with the new position of the dirty dish station, neither happens. Service used to be excellent however it's not that great now. Portions used to be large. Now they're tiny (literally the entire meal did not fill up 1/2 of the plate). And the entree lunch prices are now really expensive.

All in all, if you haven't been, and it's a hot day, it might be nice to sit in the cool environment and see people enter the ride on the boats. Be prepared though to spend around $60+ for lunch for two. A better bet would be to ask the host if you could just peak inside and see if you want to try it out.

[ Edited by: Coco Loco 2006-08-23 10:36 ]

Went to the park unexpectedly last weekend. The name of the restaurant that now serves Monte Christos and clam chowder (at normal Disney prices) is Cafe Orleans. And that's my public service for the week. :)

Pages: 1 11 replies