Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Hukilau 2003

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies

T

*On 2003-04-23 20:53, mrsmiley wrote:*For cigar lovers: down in Little Havana is : La Tradicion Cubana at 1894 SW 8th Street in Miami. 305-643-4005 http://www.tradicion.com. They roll their own cigars onsite so you'll be sure of freshness. My friends and I liked the "Torpedo" a slightly shorter cigar with a great taste for about $4 each.

I enjoyed one of those torpedos while at Mondo Tiki (thanks to mrsmiley). Hope I didn't offend anyone! I never smoke one inside.

For all you cigar smokers in L.A. try this little shop on sixth and western. It won't beat smoking a cohiba in habana vieja, but close.

S

We just got word that the early dinner show is full and the late show is half booked. Please, if you are coming from out of state to the Hukilau, don't delay or you may miss out! They are also now very much more excited about our event and we are working get King Kukulele and others some serious stage time there throughout the night.

Make your Mai Kai reservations even before you book your room or air fare!

A sneak-peak of the upcoming mug can be viewed here

We just received some bad news we wanted to share.

I'm sure those of you that attended Hukilau 2002 in Atlanta remember the amazing performance of the great surf band The Penetrators on Friday night and on Sunday at the Starlite Drive In. http://www.penetrators.com

We just found out yesterday that the lead guitarist, Scott Rogers, also known by his stage name Rip Thrillby, died on Sunday from injuries he suffered in a car accident early Sunday morning in Atlanta. Unfortunately he wasn't wearing a seatbelt. He was a huge support system for Hukilau 2002 and taught us how not to sweat the small stuff. He will be greatly missed.

Here are some photos from the great performance as the Penetrators played on the rooftop of the consession stand on the last night of the Hukilau at the Starlite Drive-In in Atlanta.

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2003-05-14 11:21 ]

This is sad news. My condolences go out to the family, friends and musicians who had the chance to play with Rip.
I am bummed I will never get the chance to see him play live. He was an awswome musician.
Here is a link to Atomoculture the club Rip ran on Yahoo. There are some posts by his Brother and more info regarding his accident:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atomoculture/

Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2003-05-14 11:40 ]

T

Montague, the lead guitarist of the Atlanta band The Woggles also passed away on Sunday at only 31 years old. My condolences to the families and fans of both young men.

http://www.legacy.com/atlanta/LegacySubPage2.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=1009827

Yes, The Woggles, loved to see them play when I lived there. We found out about him the same day.

That's tragic to hear about those two. I didn't know Scott, but I knew Montague well. Ours bands played together numerous times over the years, and he crashed out on my couch a few times that The Woggles came through Cleveland.

Hey! is Safari Thatch anywhere near the HUKILAU hotel??? I would like to visit them and shake their hands. Can't wait for HUKILAU! It's like a vacation!!! Is it gonna be humid??? I like humidity! It get's me going!!

S

Yes, Safari Thatch is just down the road. there was a plan in the works to make a group visit, but I don't know what came o fit. Yes, it will be very hot and humid. Do not be fooled. Florida sun is not like your sun. It will cook you in 1/4 the time. Please. Everyone. Wear sunscreen and be ready for some serious rays!

Aloha!

I'm promoting (and performing at) two shows with I Belli di Waikiki, one of Hukilau 2003's featured performers, to help defray their costs of appearing at Hukilau. Both are on Flirda's West Coast; one is prior to da big shew and one after:

Thursday, June 26 , 2003
Martini Club
520 Douglas Ave., Dunedin, FL
(727) 734-0885
The Vodkanauts w/I Belli Di Waikiki
showtime 10pm; admission FREE!

Sunday, June 29, 2003
Surf In The Turf
http://www.surfintheturf.com
Skipper's Smokehouse
910 Skipper Rd., Tampa, FL
(813) 971-0666
The Vodkanauts; I Belli Di Waikiki (from Italy); The Thrusters (from Orlando)
showtime 5pm; admission $6

I'm appealing to all who've got the time/cash/logistical means to patronize one (or both!) events on their way to and/or from Hukilau.

The post-Hukilau show is at a very popular open-air venue in Tampa that has a good geal of room for vendors and artists to set up and hawk their tiki/surf-related wares. No charge to vendors from promoter or venue - just shoot me an email and lemme know you're coming.

See you at the Mai Kai!

We have just been informed by the Holiday Inn that the hotel is fully booked for the Hukilau weekend.

Of course there will be cancellations later but we want everyone to know that we are currently talking with another hotel, that is very close to the host hotel, and will let everyone know as soon as possible so you can make your reservations.

This is going to be one crazy weekender!

Howdy folks,

Just knocked into your website this mornin' while trying to get some info about Hukilau. I live in Fort Lauderdale (about 5 miles from the Mai Kai) and am stoked for the event. As of this morning, you can still book rooms on Expedia for the Holiday Inn for $74/night. If you need any details about the area, feel free to ask! There are some neat-o digs to explore. Can't wait to meet you all next month -
Cheers
Erin

I don't think the hotel is fully booked.. just because we booked a room using expedia for 74$ this morning!

oddly enough we live in ft. lauderdale.. but we wanted the whole hukilau experience.. ahah.. and to crawl back to our rooms rather than our places of residence.

but anyhow.. us savvy ft. lauderdale folks found out about this without any kinda promotion down here.. and we're real excited.

and we love happy hour at the mai kai.

yeah.. edited because meanlittledevil beat me to it. weeeeeeeee! see y'all in a month.

[ Edited by: LilJackKnife on 2003-05-22 07:55 ]

I had called the holiday inn two days ago and the reservations desk told me that they were completely booked that weekend. I just read the posts here and I also went to Expedia this morning and just reserved a room for the Hukilau weekend at that holiday inn for the $74 a night price!??!?
I don't get it.

R
Rain posted on Thu, May 22, 2003 9:34 AM

most likely, a bunch of the rooms that are booked are booked by expedia, so they can then in turn hand over reservations through their site.

kind of like when a concert is sold out, but radio stations have a block of tickets.

S

We are looking into this. The hotel is full for the weekend. Why Expedia is still letting you book, I do not know. But we will get to the bottom of it soon. It may be that the fine print does not guarantee you a room through Expedia. We'll see.

I just called the hotel..

and what happens is that the travel sites like expedia and stuff buy blocks of rooms.. and then sell them

if you call the hotel they will tell you they have no rooms

but if you go to expedia or travelocity, you can get a room

expedia is actually cheaper than the hukilau rate! ok. later y'all.

T

Well I finally booked (too late for the Holiday Inn) It's OK cause I work for Radisson Hotels and I got a cheap emolyee rate at the Bahia Del Mar just down the street. (so I'm told) They have a super saver rate of $89, Though I'm not sure what their occupancy is right now.

I also have reservations for the late Mai Kai Show. What is the difference between the early and late shows? Should I keep calling to see if there are any cancelations for the early show?

There's no difference between the shows at all. Did they mention the 2nd Happy Hour when you called? There's another Happy Hour scheduled just for the 2nd show that starts at 7:00pm with a performance by someone from our entertainment lineup.

T

No she didn't mention the 2nd Happy Hour, she just took my reservation. She mentioned alot of people were asking about cancelations for the early show.

Will the Molokai still be "happening" after the 2nd show?

We are planning entertainment after both shows in other areas of the Mai Kai.

Just to let everyone know though that is booked for the 2nd show - there is a 2nd Happy Hour Party starting at 7:00pm for those that are booked for this show. If you show up at 4:00pm they will ask you to come back. They are going a hard enough time managing the 300+ people already booked for the 1st show.

If you have any questions you can always email us at [email protected]

S

Out of curiousity, I tried Expedia today and it seems they are out of rooms now too. But their rate was more than our Hukilau rate. I looked at Travelocity too. They seem to have rooms, but at $239 a night, uh, no thanks!

G
GECKO posted on Thu, May 22, 2003 5:10 PM

cherrrrry, no difference between da sho's, I'll see ya at da late sho tiki mug.

alohaz

Just wanted to let everyone know that Swanky and I will be in Ft. Lauderdale as of Tuesday June 24th. Bre-elle & Tristan will be there as of the 25th. If anyone wants to get together prior to Hukilau please let us know.

Also, if anyone wants to volunteer for pre-Hukilau needs if you're arriving prior to Friday you can email us off list at [email protected]

Thanks! We look forward to meeting everyone!

GECKO!

You have reservations already for the first show. You're sitting in the VIP section with us, Basement Kahuna and all the other crazy guys!

Is that ok?

T

Well Gecko, Looks like you went from the outhouse (wtih me at the late show) to the Penthouse! (VIP Table at the early show) :D

...and you were worried that you had nothing to do during the early show! You so crazy bruddah!

Thank me later, Geck :) (Kiliki and Swanky first...)

G
GECKO posted on Thu, May 22, 2003 6:20 PM

HO! ok i'll take it! and yes, mahaloz mahaloz mahaloz, Kiliki and Swanky fo da hook upz!! and you to BK! It's nice to see da Aloha commin from my east coast braddahz & sistaz too! can't wait fo' wen we meet. looks like i'm gon feel like i'm on da islands ova'dat side of da country too. ALOHAZ

eh, Tikimug no worries cuz! I gon suckem up one scorpion witcha my treat eh! how'z yor stuff you've purchased from me?

HUKI HUKI HUKI HUKI HUKI HUKILAU

T

Hey Gecko, no worries over here cuz! I'm sure me and da wahini will meet up wit you fo' sure talk story and suckem up!

By the way, my wahini sez da fertility TC plaque don't work so good... not yet anyway, but we trying! :D :wink: :D

S

Gecko, you gotta get us some pics of your work for the site bruh. We gotta let the people know just how much money they need to bring to throw around!

I know that you omniscient Tiki gods/goddesses are probably already aware, but if you are in town on Wednesday you should not miss the MaiKai sushi buffet. It is DEFINITLY a killer party every week. Regular Happy Hour from 5-9 (2 for 1 drinkies) as well as a table full of free sushi...DONT MISS THE CRAB RANGOON! yummmm

Yum! A bunch of us are planning to go to the Mai Kai on Thursday night to enjoy a moment of calmness before the storm but we might just have to make it for Wednesday night too!

the crab rangoon is way good.. MeanLittleDevil and I will be there on wednesday enjoying the sushi goodness of happy hour.

if any of y'all outta towners need info on anything.. just give us a hollar.. and we'll be glad to help.

You can now buy the "I Belli Di Waikiki" cd on the website http://www.TheHukilau.com - just go to the Stuff page!

M

I don't know how close this is to the Hulilau-but here it goes:$49 -- Hilton Ft. Lauderdale in June
http://www.travelzoo.com/Top20.asp?id=103104492
Source: Tourgang.com

reserve this week only

S

We are expecting the hotel to release unreserved rooms from other groups soon. We anticipate some openings.

T

On 2003-05-28 18:27, mrsmiley wrote:
I don't know how close this is to the Hulilau-but here it goes:$49 -- Hilton Ft. Lauderdale in June
http://www.travelzoo.com/Top20.asp?id=103104492
Source: Tourgang.com

reserve this week only

That's a great price. Cheaper than my Radisson employee rate. But it is about 10 mile away in Sunrise or so the directions site sez.

Nice find mrsmiley.

M

tikimug, thanks for checking--10 miles is TOO far away, there are so many more interesting places to stay within two miles of the Hukilau hotel.

We just found out that Tiki Farm will be stocking the Mai Kai with great Mai Kai mugs for the Hukilau weekend. There will even be a commemorative X-eyes design with the Hukilau and Mai Kai logo on it! For those of you that miss out on the Shag mug Friday night, this will be the next best thing. Limited run of 250.

Also, they have just reissued their rum barrel mug and will be bringing the wonderful Mai Kai decanter to Ft. Lauderdale!

T

AYE CHIHAUHAU!

I need to score me some cash for this trip!

We just found out that Shag will not be able to attend the event. So sorry folks, but the man is just too damn busy!

T

Uck to the above. Oh well, such is life. He will just have to give us all originals to make up for our pain and suffering from his absence.

TB

Oh my goodness! This week a truck smashed its wreckless little self into the front posts of the Mai Kai. Good thing they have time to whip out the super glue and get everything fixed up in time.

S

Front posts? What exactly are you talking about? Sign? What?

Well, there are two main buildings at the Mai Kai. One is the restaurant/bar and the other a smaller banquet room with a little pond in front of it. In between the two buildings is a wooden driveway where the valet takes your ride. A truck drove over the curb near the pond and seems to have knocked over some wooden stick-things there and near the drive way. Minor damage, of course, just good thing they have a chance to pretty it up before ya'll get in town!

M
Mambo posted on Sat, Jun 7, 2003 6:55 AM

Hopefully they'll fix it! Hell they haven't
replaced the thatched roof on the main
buiding that has been slowly blowing away
over the years.

Not to be a buzzkill or anything, but over
the past few years they haven't kept up on
the maintenance of the property. Have any
of you guys been in the office? Well I
was there last month to buy a gift
certificate for a friend and is looks like