Hukilau 2003

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies

T

On 2003-06-07 06:55, Mambo wrote:
Hopefully they'll fix it! Hell they haven't
replaced the thatched roof on the main
buiding that has been slowly blowing away
over the years.

When we asked them about the black plastic sheeting on the ceiling in the bar, we were told that the roof is leaking where the orginal A-frame roofline joins with the flat roof that was a later addition. They received an estimate for the repairs but have not started (as of Winter 2002) the work.

I hope the plastic held up last week when Ft. Lauderdale received record-breaking rainfall -- 10 inches in 24 hours. You want tropics? We got tropics in Florida...

Regardless of all the smack, though, the place is still cool as hell and looks fantastic for the how old it is. They really have kept it looking authentic to form and the aging only adds to the mystique (unless you get a roof caving in on your head!) I’ll be there Wednesday for the sushi buffet so I’ll be sure to look up and admire the black plastic. Fifteen minutes into my time at the bar I am usually too drunk to notice architectural problems.

P

Just in case you haven’t been on the site lately…

The official Hukilau limited edition print is available for preorder!

Hukilau or Bust! by “Derek”
Gicleé Print Limited to Only 50 Pieces !

Only up on the site a week, and already well into the edition!!!

For more information goto http://www.thehukilau.com/stuff.htm#derek

See you in Fort Lauderdale !!!

We are going to have a great time regardless if there's repairs to be done. Maybe they'll be able to after Hukilau!

T

On 2003-06-13 16:03, tiki_kiliki wrote:
We are going to have a great time regardless if there's repairs to be done. Maybe they'll be able to after Hukilau!

A little bit of plastic could never lessen the majesty of the Mai-Kai!

Wish I was going :(

mrsmiley's a lucky dog for going to the Mai-Kai twice in 6 months!

Just a suggestion. But while you are all down in Lauderdale and if you have some time to spare there is a uber cool blues bar called "The Bamboo Room" in Lake Worth. It is about a 45 minute drive from the hotel but a very kitchy laid back place with a kick-a$$ bar. One of the few places in South Florida (other than the Mai Kai and some good restaurants) that we always bring out of town guests to.

What is the weather going to be like this weekend? I saw something about a flood warning?
So much for working on my tan...

dangergirl299 wrote:
What is the weather going to be like this weekend?..

According to Yahoo Weather:

Wednesday, June 25
PM Thunderstorms
High: 88
Low: 73
Precipitation: 40%

Thursday, June 26
Isolated Thunderstorms
High: 91
Low: 74

Friday, June 27
Scattered Thunderstorms
High: 89
Low: 75

Saturday, June 28
Scattered Thunderstorms
High: 88
Low: 80
Precipitation: 50%

Sunday, June 29
Scattered Thunderstorms
Low: 79
Precipitation: 30%

Monday, June 30
Scattered Thunderstorms
Low: 79
Precipitation: 30%

Oh, and for us California Hoity Toity's:

Humidity is currently at 97%!

T

For those going to Hukilau and have time to visit Miami, Parrot Jungle is reopening this Saturday after being relocated. mrsmiley and I enjoyed visiting the old one before it closed in 2002. The parrot show is incredible! Details on the new Parrot jungle here:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/orl-asecjungle23062303jun23,0,2446754.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

Of course, there are also Monkey Jungle and Coral Castle for those staying longer in South Florida.

M
Mambo posted on Mon, Jun 23, 2003 4:50 PM

For those doing the bar crawl thing when
in Fort Lauderdale, I would like to mention
these two:

The Wreck Bar
in the Sheraton Yankee clipper
south fort lauderdale beach.
This used to be the old Polynesian
room back in the 50's and 60's.
It is now decorated like the inside
of Captian Cooks ship (similar to the
Molokai bar at Mai Kai). No tiki's
however.

Le Tub
Hollywood beach. This is the classic old
Florida waterfront bar. It is very rustic
and has great people.

Yea Mon!

Hey! anyone ever been to the Bamboo Room' blues joint? And, what about the "Elbow room?" I need to go to these and check em' out.

Is Sunday the 29th, "National Hukilau Hangover Day??" What's Florida like with a hangover? I wonder if it is any different than a So Cal. hangover?

Well if you want to talk BARS. We covered the basis of tiki themed places but here are some other good hangouts in the area.

Mambo has got it right with Le Tub. It has been around South Florida for almost as long as the MaiKai. Very old Florida, very laid back. Try the fish dip.

Right around the corner from the Holiday Inn in the Gateway Shopping Center is Kims Alley Bar. It is our neighborhood hangout. Nothing to see but a good place to grab a beer and a game of pool. There is also a good sushi restaurant in there called "Heart Rock" and an indie movie theatre.

Downtown Fort Lauderdale on Thursday Night is always happening. The Poorhouse is where to go if you want the Rock and Roll crowd. No tikis but you always seem to find some people with Shag lighters hehe

The Elbo room is kind of a drag but that is just my taste. Kind of a college crowd last time i was there. But walk up and down A1A. There are alot of nice, touristy yuppie-type bars along the way between Las Olas Blvd and Broward Blvd.

I'm a wealth of information if you need to know anything so ask me. I've lived in this city too long! Grab a City Link magazine on Wednesday when you get into town. We were interviewed for an article being written on The Hukilau and think it will probably run in Wed edition.

Mahalo Devil-

My mother in law used to work at the Elbow Room back in the 50's. She said it kinda is what the name says. Damn yuppies taken over!

M
Mambo posted on Wed, Jun 25, 2003 4:46 AM

I agree 100% with devil about de Elbo Room.

Yea Mon!

S

Everyone here is saying we need to make the drive out to the Tub. We will.

Guys, the Mai Kai has blown our minds! I cannot tell you! We met Dave, one of the 3 family owners and talked for a long time about the history and the rich traditions. How Ma (mom the other owner) uses all real grass skirts and everything is real and authentic and she flies to Tangaroa to ask permission of kahiko (hula) master if she may perform the authentic dances and they pray to the gods to see if it's okay and if so, she is taught the dance. She does this with everything.

He's telling us all this and saying how the ropes in the bar are from the "Bounty" and the knots are authentic as they would be in a ship from the 1800's.

The tour od the highlights with pre-missionary tikis. SHRUNKEN HEAD! I just can't say enough.

Guys, you are going to faint. Fall on the floor and beg to stay. I can't say enough. It is so hard to work on the event for wanting to get over there! We meet Ma tonight.

I N C R E D I B L E!

S

As for weather. We are here and it's nice. No rain, a bit cloudy, but nice. No worries! Green flags on the beach.

The Holiday Inn is a little hard to find. It is really more on Sunrise off 1A1. It took us a while to find it and the MapQuest instructions were bogus. Just head down 1A1 to Sunrise. Hotel is right on the beach and can't be missed when you get in the neighborhood.

S

I believe that's "A1A"...

See ya'll tonight!

Last night, my band The Vodkanauts ( http://www.vodkanauts.com ) had the great pleasure of hosting I Belli di Waikiki for a double-bill here in Tampa Bay.

Oh.
My.
Gawd.

All y'all are gonna freak out when you see these guys. They had the whole place grining from ear-to-ear from their first tune. So much fun, such great songs and outstanding musicianship. Major fun factor.

Pages: 1 2 3 115 replies