Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

fishing floats

Pages: 1 11 replies

O

I have been pricing these on E Bay and the larger diameter 16" or so seem to be too expensive for my bar. I took a picture in Trader Vic's recently and noticed that the float was made of polished black opaque plastic that looked good and appeared to be glass from a distance.

Anyone know where to get them? Thanks Ojaitimo

[ Edited by: ojaitimo 2006-09-04 14:29 ]

T

Yes, we were in Atlanta's Trader Vic's last month & those large ceiling floats are plastic. Recently local design store had several large ones for $31.00/each & picked up the green & blue ones they had. Those large floats are heavy suckers if your planning on hanging them from the ceiling/rafters.

O

Thanks, I will call a few buisness in LA. Could you please give the name of the store where you ordered the floats in case I can't get them here.

V

A couple of years ago I stumbled upon a collector's show on the Big Island and was blown away by this guy selling his father's fishing float collection. We talked for a long time, and he showed me some of his favorite floats. I told him my father used to bring home floats all the time that he found at work (at Makai Research Pier in Waimanalo, Oahu) - and it turns out that the collector's father got most of his floats while fishing on the same pier! Small world. We both lamented the fact that you rarely see glass floats anymore - now it is just plastic crud floating in from the fishing fleets. He knew the history behind all the markings stamped on the floats, and told some great stories. I bought a handful of really neat "micro floats" (about the size of a baseball) that had some spiffy stamps on them, and I took a photo with the star of his collection to show my dad - the biggest glass float I have ever seen! I forget how much it was - but I really regret not buying more floats from the guy!

VanTiki

S

Looks about the size I have:

That's almost 3 feet across on the right there. Huge! The yellow one on the left is the typical large size you find.

The actual fish floats can't be made into lamps. There are threads here about that. The large ones like at TV are not made any more. Even Oceanic Arts does not have them that big any more.

I have made some new ones out of the glass gazing balls you see in the craft stores for your yard. A cheap alternative.

The actual fish floats can't be made into lamps

Yeah they can:

I usually use repro floats, (8 and 12 inch diameter) but the real ones work too. Just more work getting through them (much thicker glass). I make 'em and sell 'em. lemme know if you want one.

Ojai - you live in a very nautical area - ventura. What about using big round bumpers? I've also beachcombed several plastic fishing floats with a hole running through the center (where it would be attached to fishing line) that are rather large - like around 16-20 inch diameter. You could paint somehting like that and string it up with fishing netting from a salvage store or something.

I'll see if I can drum up more info for you.

V

I usually use repro floats, (8 and 12 inch diameter) but the real ones work too. Just more work getting through them (much thicker glass). I make 'em and sell 'em. lemme know if you want one.

Oooo! I am suddenly filled with the urge to drill into a glass ball! Most likely would end in disaster. Do you lose any when cutting? Would you cut one that was sent to you?

VanTiki

S

Hey, I've been searching for a post where someone took a white plastic globe, painted it with some kind of translucent plastic paint, and made a float light. I cannot find the post so I'm jump-starting this one again. Does anyone remember that post or know about the kind of paint to use?

Muchio Mahalo!

M
Murph posted on Mon, Jul 14, 2008 2:24 PM
S

Thanks Murph! I'm off to the paint store!

A

On 2008-07-14 13:36, spy-tiki wrote:
Hey, I've been searching for a post where someone took a white plastic globe, painted it with some kind of translucent plastic paint, and made a float light. I cannot find the post so I'm jump-starting this one again. Does anyone remember that post or know about the kind of paint to use?

Muchio Mahalo!

Just an FYI -- I took the advice and we made one of these lamps. Turned out fine and looks good in our home bar.

Van Tiki, isn't that tempting fate to put a baseball bat and a huge glass ball on the same table! :D

I drilled a hole in a thick glass vase once with a Dremel, a pointed fine grit grindstone, and lots of running water but it took a long time!

Pages: 1 11 replies