CrazyAL Retrospective Show
&
New Product release

SAT. OCT. 21st
4:30 PM
'La Luz De Jesus Gallery'
4633 Hollywood Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90027
Phone 323-666-7667

I will give a guided walk through of the 'Bone Productions' display case and discussion of the various tikis of the show.
Extra edited items of the show will be displayed as well.
ALSO:
I'll be releasing the first of my NEW 'Tiki Drawer Pulls'.
Get these that afternoon and save the shipping. These items may not be sold to retail shops, and only available through mail order.
New 'Adrift' CrazyAL T's of Tiki #2!!
Signing of Tiki Magazines, and Otto's Tiki Art Books, Ape CD's
all will be available.

See You at The TIKI TI Happy Hour Afterwards!!!!!!

I'm all over that Al, since I missed the big show last Fri.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

Wow!

What a great show! Thanks for all the pictures.

Al, it has been great to see you grow as a tiki artist over that past 6 or so years. Your work is fun and varied. And the process as entertainment with APE (as well as on your own) ads to the excitment and unique quality of your work.

The show at La Luz is great recognition for your talents and dedication.

I remember one of Shags first shows at La Luz. I hope that your renowned as a tiki artist follows a similar path and widespread recognition.

Also, thanks for the friendship and shared shenanigans over the years.

Balmy regards,

TB

P.S. Denny's haircut looks really good!

CA

-TB
P.S. Denny's haircut looks really good!-

is that some kind of 'back-handed' Southern hospitality???
Are you saying i should trim the hedges???? or what?????

the 'Lobster Maraca Man' Rules!!

CA

see you all at 4:30!

if you are picking up your pre-paid #1mug... drop me a reminder before 2:30....

S

Wouldn't miss it!

I am thinkin I'll be there!!!

I have to go! Squid owes me $5 and a ciggie!

TM

Squid ROCKS!!!!!!!

S
squid posted on Sat, Oct 21, 2006 9:41 PM

Thanks Al! That was really great to hear all those behind-the-scenes stories. Nice to know that we've all had to go through similar trials and tribulations to get to where we are. (uh...where am I?) Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy! You've come a long way baby!

Let's do it again in another 10.

T

Al, did you make those Hula Dolls?? Pretty Sswheat.

CA

Thanks again all!! for coming out.. i got a little long winded with stories like this.

Hulas where my first semi-'mass-production'... Along with tikis and tiki mugs, they didn't exist in stores ten years ago either. I was asked to make a few re-pros that sold for $60 each. The 'real' stuff was only found in Midwest garage sales or at CA swap-meets for $50-250. I couldn't make them fast enough at $60 each... Hulas where featured on a few national Ad TV spots and became a pre-Bobble head crazy for a year or two... 10 years later you can finally buy a 'pretty' or nice looking hula nodder for $8-10 in any store in the US... I sell very-very few of my $30 'hand painted & assembled' production model these days.

here are some archival web pages.
http://www.tikimania.com/docs/hw01n2.html
and
http://www.tikimania.com/docs/hw03n4.html
current page
http://www.tikimania.com/docs/hw05n6.html

[ Edited by: crazy al 2006-10-22 09:24 ]

G
GROG posted on Sun, Oct 22, 2006 10:32 AM

Thanks Al for all the stories about all the great carvings and artwork, and about how you got to where you are today.

GROG's favorite story was about how you met Bamboo Ben when you were a starving artist and had to supplement your income as a male gigilo and Bamboo Ben hit on you because you had long hair and he thought you were a transvestite prostitute.
Actually, GROG had alot to drink at the Tiki Ti, so that might not be the actual story you told, but that's how GROG remembers it.

Thanks for GROG's Tiki #1 mug. It is incredible and is GROG's favorite mug.

Al!
Thanks again for the GREAT walk thru yeaterday!That must've been a good two hours! The Incredible stories and explanations made it feel like ten minutes! Anyone who truly wants to
appreciate and understand your art and career should've been there! These days there aren't many artists with so much talent,integrity,and openness! You need a "Book of Tiki" sized Crazy Al book to contain all of your works and stories! Good Job

On 2006-10-22 10:32, GROG wrote:
Thanks Al for all the stories about all the great carvings and artwork, and about how you got to where you are today.

GROG's favorite story was about how you met Bamboo Ben when you were a starving artist and had to supplement your income as a male gigilo and Bamboo Ben hit on you because you had long hair and he thought you were a transvestite prostitute.
Actually, GROG had alot to drink at the Tiki Ti, so that might not be the actual story you told, but that's how GROG remembers it.

Thanks for GROG's Tiki #1 mug. It is incredible and is GROG's favorite mug.

Back to your CAVE-MAN!!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Couldn't make it to this one so I figured I'd give ol' C'Al a call around 5-ish, just as he's gettin into it ( that's what friends are for right?) and low and behold he answered his cell!!!! Herd about 3 minute of him talking and it sounded Right On!! Then my stupid cell lost the signal. "Can you hear me now?? YA Right!!!"

Did anyone film the walk through???

C'Al rocks!

Hey Ben!

Herd about 3 minute of him talking and it sounded Right On!! Then my stupid cell lost the signal.

Are you SURE you lost the signal? My recollection may be a bit hazy,but I think I saw GROG hang it up! He's a total Luddite and hates any kind of technology,being a caveman and all! So much for Bamboo tele-conferencing in the future! Didn't see anyone filming and Al made us swear a Blood-Oath we wouldn't share the secrets we had been bestowed....would've loved to have seen you there-History in the Making! At Ease, Private!

What a crazy busy fun weekend I had! Mahalo Al for a Great walk through on Sat. it was the highlight of the weekend. Seeing all your works again with your explanations & anecdotes made it even BETTER the second time around. I really enjoyed hearing about your High School, Art Center years, Tiki Tones & the Op shorts! I have a new found appreciation for sculpting & carving. Thanks again also for bringing my mugs #1 & 2. It was also cool meeting some of the TC'ers. Sorry I missed seeing you all at Tiki Ti's I was in & out for a cocktail & a
t-shirt before you all got there. Hip 'lil joint though!.. Be well....HiPHiPaHuLA!!

Pages: 1 2 64 replies