Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

I've finished Gecko's tribute statue with shrunken head.

Pages: 1 27 replies

For fun I've started a mug of Gecko. It just has a base coat right now. On the other side is his face as a shrunken head. I'm learning how to add photos and this is a practice post for me. What do you think can you recognize him at this point? Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2006-09-29 18:26 ]

Ok now I'm going to try to post the shrunken head side. They both have far to go this is just the first base coat. Wendy

HOK

Wendy, this is way too creepppyyy....can't wait to see the progress. Aloha :tiki:

B

Wendy, I agree, this IS Creepy, Beautiful job on the Gecko side! The Shrunken head side is too realistic looking, you sure it is only clay? Excellent job!

I live for these comments, thanks guys. I can't wait until I make Gecko's mini me come to life! I'll keep you posted on the progress. Hey everyone please check out Andy Landry loves tikis. I bet there are a lot of extras in everyones collections that could liven up his bedroom. Please.

Let me know if you need their address, Wendy

ps His dad was killed in Iraq in 2005, his mom has been through the worst hell has to offer.

Too Cool That mug looks just like Gecko. That shrunken head reminds me of few people I know too!

Thanks for postin' them thar pics.
Chongolio

so which side is gecko? k'den!

[ Edited by: kingstiedye 2006-09-09 12:13 ]

Trula wild man!
Are ya makin jus da one or will ya be castin um?
I'd buy dat!
Dat is if I weren't out bid by da king!
One day I got's to meet da king and figure out who's always gettin da GECKO mugs outa my hands!

Anyhow, has GECKO seen dat mug yet?
It's a beauty alright!

"There are mugs fer collectin and mugs fer drinkin. A fool is he who hands his favorite mug to a drinkin friend!"
Dr.TikiMojo

P

M

[ Edited by poptiki on 2022-10-12 04:30:32 ]

Hi Everyone, I spent today emailing my buddy Gecko while working on the mug of his mug. It's mostly done except for his face which is still a base coat. I tried to paint the body in Gecko style since this is a tribute to my favorite artist. So what do you think, is there something I need to work on besides his face? I also am showing a painting I did for Dan on a pineapple bowl. I've done several and last night on general tiki I saw another artist doing them as well. You can find his by searching pineapple bowl. Thanks for looking, Wendy

Oh man...if I saw that in the dark, I'd RUN. Great art.

HOK

Wendy, when can I get one of those? I have an electric turntable that I can mount a weather-proof version(virgin?) of that to scare...:evil: umm I mean to keep the neighborhood pets and children out of the yard. Freddie

Here is my statue that is a likeness of Gecko. Whenever I do a person I see the imperfections in my work. But a teacher once told me that if you try to make everything perfect you will never finish anything. So the time to say it's done has come. Wendy

wow!!! now that it's done , it's an incredible likeness. this is one of the craziest things i've ever seen and i love it! great work, wendy!

Off the charts, DLT! Photo-finished fo'sho...you captured his flesh BUT not his soul! All aces girlfriend, the shrunk'in head side still has me freaking out abit...the Karen Black movie (Trilogy of Terror) with the lil' killer cannibal doll nightmare comes to mind

...BUT I'm just wrestling with my own inner demons!!! :D

Great Job!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

Wendy! That is just too cool for words, so one word will have to do - AWESOME! I think you are going to become a BIG BIG name in the Tiki Art World! Gecko must be bowled over with this one?!! I'm pleased, no honoured, to be doing the 'Bloody Maori' piece on you and Gecko in the next POCKETIKI! I must talk to you about getting a mug by the way! Take care & keep in touch.

Best wishes from Tiki Towers - James & Sian xx

H
hewey posted on Sat, Sep 30, 2006 5:05 PM

That thing freaks me out... :)

How about some shrunken heads?

HOK

Wendy, thats outstanding...simply zazzy...Is this the start of a TC Hall of Fame of your favorite Tiki Artists/Friends?? What a cast of characters to choose from :D Freddie :tiki:

A

KEWL!

OK, great work, but where do the batteries go? I'm afraid it's motion activated and is going to stick it's tounge out or something. :)

Wendy, you are very talented. Doing faces and getting the essence of someone is the hardest form of art. Doing the 2 sides was brilliant! Great job!

Amy

B

EXCELLENT Job on this guy Wendy. How Proud you Must be, it is So life like. I'm sure Gecko is happy as well.

Hi Everyone, Gecko knows I think he's handsome. Now that he's seen his statue he is inclined to agree and he said he is truly honored. It's been a lot of fun. It took an hour to do the shrunken head side and four months to do his face right.

I love reading the posts that you have all sent, thank you very much. I almost did the reverse side of Gecko with his tongue out in a Maori grimace but it was faster to make him a shrunken head. Now making one that's electric and has tongue motion is an interesting idea, like a Hallmark ornament.

If you would like to see other tiki projects that I've made for Dan they are on http://www.claytikis.com it was a surprise gift from my nephew so it's not really a business web page, it's just for fun right now.

Keep having fun and love those tikis, Wendy

Finally years later I'm able to photograph Gecko with the statue I made of him. He was so nice to pose for both the normal side and the shrunken head side. Wendy

YOUGOGIRL!!! That is awesome and such an amazing likeness. Your artistry skills are off the scale. :)

HOK

On 2006-10-01 18:38, danlovestikis wrote:
I almost did the reverse side of Gecko with his tongue out in a Maori grimace but it was faster to make him a shrunken head. Now making one that's electric and has tongue motion is an interesting idea, like a Hallmark ornament.

Maybe it can alternate between these two looks....

gecko yard gnome...:lol:

Aloha Wendy! Looks like you guys had a blast...thanks for posting those wonderful picts...

Freddie

Great statue Wendy!
What a tribute to an amazing artist AND personality!
You've got me Hungry for the Gecko with the electric Maori tongue!
:)

:lol: :lol: :lol: FANTASTIC Wendy...da muggers nightmare!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Waaay coool ya gotz da G'ek to pose so handsomely for his portrait... maybe backcover material for Tiki Magazine?!! :D :lol: :D

Wendy, you sure captured Gecko perfectly with your statue! That is excellent. Let's hope he stays Da Big Puka, and never becomes
Da Little Puka on the back of your statue! :lol:

Pages: 1 27 replies