Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki In The Classroom

Pages: 1 42 replies

In the effort to promote Tiki Awareness to the Youth of America I have created a Tiki Paradise in my Classroom. My students love Tiki! They draw tikis, play musical chairs to Ape & King Kukulele, and all have Tiki Themed Birthday Parties. Thanks to Little Lost Tiki they even have Tiki Coloring Book Pages to Color. May the Spirit of Aloha & Tiki Live Forever. WOOOHOOO!

Circle Time Bulletin Board

Tiki Tropical Tunes

Tiki-rrific Kinders Good Behavior Chart

The Little Book Shack

ARRRT...

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2006-09-13 19:52 ]

Very very cool!!!!

M

This is refreshing. What grade is this class?

Rev Bamboo Ben would pay more attention to Arrrt if he attended (lol)

Nice

Mahalo

McTiki

Great job! I'm going to make sure my wife see's this. She's a first grade teacher.

On 2006-09-14 10:01, McTiki wrote:
This is refreshing. What grade is this class?

Rev Bamboo Ben would pay more attention to Arrrt if he attended (lol)

Nice

Mahalo

McTiki

Kindergarten :)

Aloha WooHoo!
I had no idea how tiki-intensive your classroom was! Great job! My favorite is the ARRRRRRT Pirate! Glad the children have such a great lady for a teacher! Just think, you are helping spread the Tiki-lore and love to the next generation! Kudos to you! Ken

visit http://www.kenruzic.com and you will ,hopefully, be inspired.

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2006-09-15 08:06 ]

Man.....why couldn't my Kindergarten teacher been as cool as you?? Mine yelled at me after getting lost on my way home from school. Such a B*tch she was. Wonder if she's dead yet.....hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Cool classroom.

Thats really cool wish i had that back when i was in school. I loved arrrrrrrrrt!!!

That is really kool. Today I taught my 3rd graders how to draw various tiki. Some of their drawings looked pretty sweet. I look forward to seeing what they can do as the year progresses.

Lucky kids! Bet we all wish we got a start like this...

Thought Id add a pic here of a few tiki Masterworks by my 4 1/2yr old daughter Kenna (she signs her work 'Kena'! I dont know, artists...)

Came home one day & started my regular online browse of auction sites to find her first painting listed (thanks to Mum!), she got 2 bids & the piece went to Australia, cool eh?

She now has plans for global domination... hahaha

These are all her own designs, apparently inspired from watching her 'master carver' (her words) Dad, who she sees regularly drawing such things... If this is anything to go by, I would say they are derived from traditional Maori (greenstone/pounamu) Hei-tiki.

Ahh, so proud! (at least it covers the price of materials & aint TV!!!) :) Tama

This year the kids in my class will be inspired by the works of The One and Only...Derek Yaniger. WoooHoooo!

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2007-08-29 16:17 ]

The kids must be lovin' their tiki classroom! How fun, I wish I would have had a room this much fun when I was a kid. I bet WooHoo is the Bomb teacher to have! Have a Tiki Fabulous year WooHoo!

I love it! Like living in a cartoon.

I hope your students' parents love it too. Don't want the busybody types ruining it for the kids. My mom was a teacher for most of my life and she's told me some stories!

Wow...you put some great effort into the tiki decor for the kids. GREAT JOB!!!!

T

"In the effort to promote Tiki Awareness to the Youth of America ..."

LOL...Tiki Awareness....I love it.

Do you serve them Hawaiian Punch in Tiki mugs ?

What a fun classroom for kids to be in.

R

Only "Tiki Punch" by Shasta can be served to these fine tikilings.

Mahalo to everyone for the kind words. I do it all for the kids (who may become future freaky tikis) I'm glad the adults appreciate it too.

As I approached WooHoo's classroom I heard the little natives and their jungle calls......"WoooooooHoooooOOOooooooooo!"

Hey WooHoo- You must be the coolest teacher in the place!

That rox, Andy Landry Elementary: in memorium...

We know your trying to convert those helpless yung'uns to yer heathen ways!
Hope it works.

On 2007-09-07 00:49, Sneakytiki wrote:
That rox, Andy Landry Elementary: in memorium...

We know your trying to convert those helpless yung'uns to yer heathen ways!
Hope it works.

Today's helpless yung'uns are tomorrow's tiki artists and CONSUMERS!!!!!!!

B

Good for you WooHoo! Way to go!

Mucho respect to you, and your position.

Woo Hoo thanks for your great work, your kids must love you.
I'll bet a lot of the students at the school wish you were their teacher. Tiki assembly!
I wonder what they think of the " Ultra Lounge Tiki look" places ( I'm not naming any names here but we all know some) "To appeal to our younger crowd we made some changes"
Vegas seems to be tiki crazy and I found dozens of wannabes examples around town. Only a few looked good IMHO.

Your Tiki students will hopefully demand better. New tiki palaces will be built and we can all be happier.

I worked at Casa Pacifica as a nurse taking care of about 75 kids on 25 acres, there are 5 cottages of every age group. Shortly after 9-11 these kids were already shook but 9-11 hit them especially hard.
For a few hours they all had a great party. Palm trees,sand beach, tiki, limbo sticks, food, and music.
The kid's and staff all transported themselves to to the beach that day.
For a few hours the world was forgotten.
I don't think thats going to happen with the "Ultra Tiki" being transported and all.
So I guess I'll ride this phase out until the kid's get them built by "To appeal to our younger crowd we made some changes" So thanks again Woo Hoo.

I was looking through Tiki Style and thinking this would be a great school book for kids.
Student edition with out a few of the images like the contents painting, and 116 and 117; The school boards woundn't go for it, then again they don't allow National Geographic either or do they? Maybe that is only in Europe?

[ Edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-09-16 08:18 ]

One of my kids in my class wore this Quicksilver T-Shirt to school today. He was very excited to show it off to me :)

A Little boy in my class wore this shirt to school yesterday :)

GT

My son Garrison attended Miss Karen's classroom, He loved it! Great job Karen!

Here's a pic of my School's Snowman

Thank you... seriously.

This is much better than cranking out the Hitler Youth-types my school excelled in producing.

Another Year and Yes tiki is Still Alive in My Classroom :) We even play Freeze Dance to Ape.

A great big cheer for WooHoo's work with the kids. How fun for them...you will definitely be a strong influence in their lives. Keep Tiki alive!!!

Karen, my wife is a kindergarten instructional aide so this thread caught my eye when I first saw it a couple of years ago - but I had no idea who you were then. Now that I know you it seems so much more real :) Keep up the good work and HAVE FUN!!!!!

You go, WooHoo Girl!

What a splendid idea and way of presenting!

Educating a future generation of Tikiphiles!

This is great to see. Thanks.

One of my kinders from last year created this over the summer for me. He brought it to me the first day of school!

Front:

Back:

[ Edited by: WooHooWahine 2010-09-26 09:07 ]

That is a pretty rad mug there. I need to get the kids in my class to start designing, pouring,
and glazing mugs. It will be like homework only I would make money off of it. Nike
will have nothing on me...

Teaching and Tiki there ain't nothing better. This is the type of illustration my Thai kids had to suffer during our culture special on New Zealand.

I don't know what age your kiddies are but teach them the Haka Dance, it's a great way to start a Monday watching 30 six year olds doing the battle dance of the Maoris.

Another Tiki Inspired Bulletin Board in my classroom...

What can you make with 100 popsicle sticks?? Created by a 2nd Grader at my school...

2nd grader?? WOW! Very cool, looks like you have a bunch of great kidz and you must be an awesome teacher.. I have a ceramics teacher customer that comes every year to buy mugs from our shop and she brings pictures of what the kidz did in her class. It is so cool to see what the kidz come up with..:)

B

On 2011-03-25 18:42, WooHooWahine wrote:
What can you make with 100 popsicle sticks?? Created by a 2nd Grader at my school...

That is so awesome! I had popcycle sticks all the time growing up (my dad worked for Darigold) and NEVER put together such a nice little surf shack! Grass roof too! Even has the sandy beach! Budding little future TC artist?! Get 'em young!

Watch out Uncle Trav!!!!!

Karen, what an impact you are making on your students! This is from a child you had 2 years ago? That's like 15 years in adult-time and the seed you planted is still growing strong.

This is just super cool, Wendy

Something to share with the kids.

http://www.tommybahama.com/TBG/Live_the_Life/Learn_All_About_Hula.jsp
(there are two videos...one for the boys and one for the girls)

Pages: 1 42 replies