Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Polynesiac Carving a Tiki for GEICO on SUNDANCE!! Pg 7

Pages: 1 2 3 117 replies

P

a shelf! I love it!

HT

This thread definitely deserves a bump. :) Great tikis.

Thanks friends! (and thanks for the "bump" Hale!)

I cut down a tree in my front yard and used part of the stump to see if I could carve a tiki in an hour! I made a minute long youtube timelapse of the entire carving!

You can watch it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv30Tsk4E2o

I'd like to see someone do a timelapse of a mug being sculpted. I think that would be cool!!!

T

Haha, Nice! I take it that it wasn't an oak or some other similarly hard wood. :wink:

S

that's a very productive and impressive hour!

Great video Poly. Love your choice of soundtrack ~ "lift a hula skirt with me"? :lol:

VanTiki has done several time lapse videos of mugs, here is one of them.

A
amate posted on Tue, Jun 11, 2013 2:49 AM

Takes me an hour just to get my tools out! :D Nice tiki...

Thanks for watching! It was fun to make. I think I will do a "regular" length tiki carving timelapse from start to finish next.

Big T - Yes! Not sure what type of wood it is, but it is soft and cracks like a mo-fo. I was thinking it's rubbertree based on the leaves, but I really have no idea.

Skoo - thanks! some hours are productive, others...not so much! It was really more of a challenge to see if I could actually do it.

MDM - thank you! I love that song too - it's a fun mix of musical styles. I love it when bands from one genre of music cover songs from a completely different genre and mix things up a bit. Thanks for the heads up about the Vantiki movies! I love them!!!

Amate - True dat! I'm loving this indoor workspace. Before I had that, I would spend the majority of my "carving" time setting up and cleaning up.

Hiya tiki peeps!

I got the awesome honor of carving a tiki for a GEICO commercial that is airing on the Sundance cable channel!

It was part of a GEICO campaign of seeing what else you could do in 15 minutes while you wait for your insurance quote. There are some other really great ones in the series too, but I'm a little partial to the tiki carving one!

Check it out here:

http://vimeo.com/68337241

Oh yeah! and it was filmed in my home tiki workshop Inspiration Point

Mahalo for looking!!

Polynesiac - putting the "F" back in "ART"

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2013-07-03 18:08 ]

C
croe67 posted on Wed, Jul 3, 2013 6:13 PM

WOW! That's awesome & your workshop looks great, too. Very cool, Polynesiac!!!

Very cool, congratulations!

That was fun!

H
Heath posted on Wed, Jul 3, 2013 9:04 PM

But what would you do for a Klondike Bar?

Good to see you back at it!

Great vid, I love your workshop, 'Inspiration Point' is very apt!

WC

Cool beans.
When everybody sees that
you could start a trend.

C
cy posted on Thu, Jul 4, 2013 9:05 AM

You're a natural Polynesiac, great video and work space!

P

very cool bro!

a star is born...

A
amate posted on Sat, Jul 6, 2013 8:35 AM

First you carve one in an hour and now you're down to 15 minutes...You're killing me ! :cry:

:)

HT

AHAHAHAAHAHA.

Love the commercial. Downloaded it.

Nice use of the GraLab timer, by the way.

Aloha friends!

Sorry to post and run like I did. Thank you so much for stopping by, for the props and viewing the video.

Heath - I loved those commercials! I still have the jingle stuck in my head....and yes. I just might carve a tiki for a Klondike bar...if it was hot enough!

5150 - I hear the Florida press is loving your style too...

amate - next up... 30 seconds!!!!

Hale - the crew brought the clock and it was cool to see them use it.

Thought I would add a few more pictures of the day!

This was really my first experience with film since I was in college (and when I would bomb through film shoots on my bike when I was a bike messenger) and it was a fantastic one. Everyone I worked with was SUPER nice and absolutely amazing at their craft. True artists, all of them and I am honored to have had the opportunity to work with them.

When I was contacted about doing the piece, I wasn't sure about the design I wanted to go with. I ended up carving two and I did a speed carve to keep them raw, organic, and (hopefully) exactly like the one I would do on film. The first one is an obvious bumatay influenced piece. He stands at about 1.5 feet:

I didn't do anything other than carve this guy - no sanding, stain or finishing.

The second design I went with was a playful '60s Hawaiian inspired piece

This one also stands at about 1.5 feet and is also without any "finishing". For the filming I decided to go with a more traditionally "known" style, rather than a more obscure style that only purists would recognize as a tiki.

Here's a couple more images of the day:

I am glad that they incorporated some of the other scenes they shot while at Inspiration Point. It's nice to showcase the 15 minute tiki, but I think it was super cool of them to throw in a few shots of some of my other carvings that took a lot longer than 15 minutes (this is a 4.5 foot cannibal carving - and no, not the one for the art trade! :wink: )

and finally the one of some dude hanging at Inspiration Point!

Good one! Short and sweet, congrats!

T

Just saw the commercial. Friggin awesome!!!!!!!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 117 replies